shape
carat
color
clarity

Shameless Bragging

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom|1359423993|3365977 said:
Feel free to brag about anything. I've been holding in some news, but I'm about to burst, and I can't tell co-workers and/or friends on FB, for fear of upsetting them, because a lot of my FB friends are parents of kids the same age as mine.....

So, here it is. I have 2 extremely bright kids, and both of them excel at school, and qualified for the GATE (Gifted and Talented Educaton) program this year! I could not be a prouder mama :razz:

They are going into the GATE program, then? Your friends w/kids your age/and kids friends will figure out your kids' giftedness soon enough. That is when you find out who your real friends are. Luckily, my older son has kept all his same friends, but a lot of the moms bash the program he is in right to my face. It's upsetting and I'd love to post his test scores just to shut them up. ;))

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Feel free to brag about anything. I've been holding in some news, but I'm about to burst, and I can't tell co-workers and/or friends on FB, for fear of upsetting them, because a lot of my FB friends are parents of kids the same age as mine.....

So, here it is. I have 2 extremely bright kids, and both of them excel at school, and qualified for the GATE (Gifted and Talented Educaton) program this year! I could not be a prouder mama :razz:

Congrats! How exciting for them and you!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
MC|1359477433|3366456 said:

They are going into the GATE program, then? Your friends w/kids your age/and kids friends will figure out your kids' giftedness soon enough. That is when you find out who your real friends are. Luckily, my older son has kept all his same friends, but a lot of the moms bash the program he is in right to my face. It's upsetting and I'd love to post his test scores just to shut them up. ;))

You're right about finding out who my real friends are if they every find out, but I don't think I'd voluntarily bring it up....but if they ask how Jayson and Lolo did, I may shout it from the rooftops!

My understanding about GATE, is that (due to budget issues in California) their school does not have seperate 'Gate' class just for Gate students, but classes are split into 3 levels during Math and Language arts, and both my kids are already in the highest level class, but now they will be assigned additional homework that is in the Gate curriculum.

Congrats to awesome kids MC, Enerchi and KaeKae, lots of great kids in this group!
Princess, getting published is a HUGE achievement, whether it's a small piece or not!
Gypsy, enjoy ideal new job with awesome rewards...
Purplesparklie, extrordinary! you HAVE to post pics!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
That's awesome. I hope to be able to say this one day. My DD is starting kindergarten this fall.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom|1359482664|3366554 said:
You're right about finding out who my real friends are if they every find out, but I don't think I'd voluntarily bring it up....but if they ask how Jayson and Lolo did, I may shout it from the rooftops!

My understanding about GATE, is that (due to budget issues in California) their school does not have seperate 'Gate' class just for Gate students, but classes are split into 3 levels during Math and Language arts, and both my kids are already in the highest level class, but now they will be assigned additional homework that is in the Gate curriculum.
!

I'm not familiar with that program so I wasn't sure how it works. Here, the kids are moved into a seperate classroom so it's known who is in the advanced program. Most of the time parents already know how students are doing, though, as word gets out from parent volunteers, etc. Plus, the kids talk, too. At the beginning of the year, my son knew the scores of the kids at his table group because the kids showed each other their results. This time, the teacher handed the scores secretly so the kids couldn't see the results.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
MC|1359483508|3366573 said:

!

I'm not familiar with that program so I wasn't sure how it works. Here, the kids are moved into a seperate classroom so it's known who is in the advanced program. Most of the time parents already know how students are doing, though, as word gets out from parent volunteers, etc. Plus, the kids talk, too. At the beginning of the year, my son knew the scores of the kids at his table group because the kids showed each other their results. This time, the teacher handed the scores secretly so the kids couldn't see the results.

Different school districts run the program differently. Our school district sends the kids out of the school for some things, per our cousin's friend whose kids are in our school district.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
qtiekiki|1359483901|3366583 said:

!

Different school districts run the program differently. Our school district sends the kids out of the school for some things, per our cousin's friend whose kids are in our school district.

Yep, I do know one kid was bused to another school for part of the day, but he was beyond advanced...Some parents have kids who have been recommended for the advanced program, but keep their kids in the regular classrooms. It's kind of a tough decision when the kids are seperated from their peers and it becomes common knowledge who is that class, but both of my kids asked to be in the program. Regardless of how they're doing in school, the choice should be theirs because of the way the program is designed at their school and what it requires of them.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i don't have anything to brag about... ;(

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1359486634|3366628 said:

Post a photo of your beautiful koi!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is such a great thread, congratulations to you all! PSers are so accomplished.

Here's my shameless brag: my two month old daughter has been sleeping through the night since she was only 5 days old! We're talking 9-11 hours overnight. Crazy!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess if we are going to brag, my oldest daughter qualified for the AIG (academically and intellectually gifted) program at her school when she was in Kindergarten. She actually qualified by both her verbal AND nonverbal scores, which they said was unusual. She also qualified for a particular enrichment program at Duke, but I won't have her start until next year, because she doesn't have the time to do it this year.

But I keep it in perspective because I see both ends. For example my youngest who is in Kindergarten, is in the academic assistance program because she is behind in her reading, and she was behind in speaking and articulating as well. But I feel she will show her talents in time. Personality-wise, she likes to do things for herself and will keep working at it and not give up. I also didn't freak out as much as I could have, because my little brother was similar. He practically didn't speak until he was 4. But when he did, he spoke in complete sentences. He didn't learn how to read until he was 7. But otherwise had no problems, and is above average inart/mechanical/spatial abilities. His brain is just organized differently (nonverbally).

justginger

Ideal_Rock
MC|1359485335|3366616 said:

!

Yep, I do know one kid was bused to another school for part of the day, but he was beyond advanced...Some parents have kids who have been recommended for the advanced program, but keep their kids in the regular classrooms. It's kind of a tough decision when the kids are seperated from their peers and it becomes common knowledge who is that class, but both of my kids asked to be in the program. Regardless of how they're doing in school, the choice should be theirs because of the way the program is designed at their school and what it requires of them.

I was in our gifted program throughout school - we were in our own classroom (between 8-12 of us, as kids joined and left the school district) for one whole day every week. Thursdays. Our entire curriculum was different to that of our peers - I can't imagine how we would have done any of our projects in the same classes as our peers. :(sad I sort of feel sorry for the kids that don't get such an in-depth, all-encompassing experience. For example, we competed in Odyssey of the Mind every year, which required months of dedicated preparation. Skits, backgrounds, technical machinery, song lyrics, the whole 9 yards. This is the outline of OM's 2013 challenges, such good fun and foster creativity, but would never work in a traditional classroom: http://www.odysseyofthemind.com/materials/2013problems.php

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i do have something to brag about.i retired at the age of 47... :praise:

OneFifty

Shiny_Rock
justginger - I did Odyssey of the Mind when I was in school too. So much fun! Although it was with the kids in my gifted program, we did all of the work for OM outside of school. One of the moms was a former teacher and she was really the one that got us into the program and had practice at her house.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1359487341|3366633 said:

MC...my fish is bigger than your fish... :tongue:

koi_12780.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's interesting about Oddssey of the Mind. My daughter was invited to be part of that, and her response was "It sounds like more homework!". I don't blame her. The way the enrichment program in her school, she has all her regular classwork that she is expected to complete and learn (and what is tested for EOG tests), and then she is pulled out for math and language where she does completely different work. She finds the work in the pull out classes more interesting, but she isn't tested on that. So anything to her that requires additional work, she doesn't want to do. Plus she is taking tap and piano after school. But we are going to drop the dance lessons, so hopefully that will free her up to try new things. To tell you the truth, the class that she requested she wanted, was typing lessons. She writes stories by hand, but wants to learn how to type on the keyboard so she can write faster. Haven't gotten around to that.

PS - Dancing Fire, lovely fish!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I was in Odyssey of the Mind as well! I LOVED it. I was shy as a younger child (anyone who knows me IRL would never believe it!) and so I chose to "direct" the skits, but I kicked some major booty in Spontaneous! I only got to do it in second and third grades, though, because we moved and my new school(s) didn't participate in the program. Sadness.

Congratulations to all the people with awesome news in this thread! :appl:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1359488715|3366652 said:

That IS something to brag about! I'll probably be retiring at 74 (house payments, helping kids out with tuition etc.....)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1359488877|3366657 said:
MC|1359487341|3366633 said:

MC...my fish is bigger than your fish... :tongue:

Yay! That is a gorgeous fish. You're fish would probably eat my fish. lol :cheeky:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila!!! You have the perfect baby!! Holy cow - sleeping 9 - 11 hours / night??? WOW!! Enjoy - lightening (sadly :blackeye: ) does not always strike twice. Our first was like that too.... # 2 & 3... NOT! :roll:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
justginger|1359488218|3366648 said:
MC|1359485335|3366616 said:

!

I was in our gifted program throughout school - we were in our own classroom (between 8-12 of us, as kids joined and left the school district) for one whole day every week. Thursdays. Our entire curriculum was different to that of our peers - I can't imagine how we would have done any of our projects in the same classes as our peers. :(sad I sort of feel sorry for the kids that don't get such an in-depth, all-encompassing experience. For example, we competed in Odyssey of the Mind every year, which required months of dedicated preparation. Skits, backgrounds, technical machinery, song lyrics, the whole 9 yards. This is the outline of OM's 2013 challenges, such good fun and foster creativity, but would never work in a traditional classroom: http://www.odysseyofthemind.com/materials/2013problems.php

I'm not familiar with Odyssey of the Mind, so I just looked at the link. That is really cool. My kids' school has a different type of project that runs in the fall that is done in the class which requires problem solving skills and computer programing to create a solution for the theme (problem presented/needing resolution) for the year. This is also offered after school, so any child is able to join, but with the after-school groups, it's volunteer/parent directed. The classroom version is student directed.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
part gypsy|1359487939|3366645 said:
I guess if we are going to brag, my oldest daughter qualified for the AIG (academically and intellectually gifted) program at her school when she was in Kindergarten. She actually qualified by both her verbal AND nonverbal scores, which they said was unusual. She also qualified for a particular enrichment program at Duke, but I won't have her start until next year, because she doesn't have the time to do it this year.

But I keep it in perspective because I see both ends. For example my youngest who is in Kindergarten, is in the academic assistance program because she is behind in her reading, and she was behind in speaking and articulating as well. But I feel she will show her talents in time. Personality-wise, she likes to do things for herself and will keep working at it and not give up. I also didn't freak out as much as I could have, because my little brother was similar. He practically didn't speak until he was 4. But when he did, he spoke in complete sentences. He didn't learn how to read until he was 7. But otherwise had no problems, and is above average inart/mechanical/spatial abilities. His brain is just organized differently (nonverbally).

Congratulations to your daughter, Part Gypsy! That is great for her. That is interesting that they said it's unusual for students to score high in both verbal and non-verbal. I was told that the school wanted high scores on both, but my older son was accepted based on his math skills.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

Yes, you never know...Einstein didn't talk until he was 4! My kids are very different too, which shows that "gifted-ness" (is that a word), can come in different shapes and forms. Jayson said his first words "mama" and "nene (milk)" around 8 months, and by 1 year he was saying short sentences like "Mantha (cousin Samantha) open door". He is a bookworm and reads non-stop. My daughter Lolo was late to talk, she hates to read, but remembers movie lines and song lyrics like nobody's business, she is also an "entertainer" and come up with a lot of witty one-liners. So the type of tests they take for GATE definitely selects for different gifts and talents.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Party Gypsy--I was placed in a remedial reading program in the 1st grade. When I was tested in the 2nd grade they then placed me into the highest reading group, and I was subsequently tested and placed into gifted programs for the rest of my academic career. (And now I'm a professional reading specialist!) So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you are so right, she will show her talents in time. Children develop at different rates, and academic assistance one year does not mean she will need it forever.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My shameless brag is that my tenure process is coming to an end next month! It was a grueling process but now all the hard work is finished and the paperwork is signed. I cannot wait to hear all the board members approve my tenure at the next board meeting.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
princesss|1359425012|3365994 said:
I'm getting published! It's just a small story in a local magazine, but it's my first and I'm pumped. And I'm using it to apply to grad school for creative writing, so it's nice to have one piece edited and ready.

I am so proud of you! :appl: :appl: :appl:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1359477433|3366456 said:

That is so wrong. Jealous fools. G&T programs are about the way a child thinks and learns, not just about intelligence. So, just because a child does not qualify, doesn't mean he or she isn't one of the 'smart' ones. School districts need to do a better job of making that info available for parents. (I used to live in a district where some parents had their kids tutored before testing. It was ridiculous)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Haven, I appreciate that. And I know you can have all the intelligence in the world, and not succeed in life, if you don't apply yourself. So I really try to reinforce what is important is the work you put into something, not innate gifts. So I don't talk or brag or anything to her about her abilities, I reinforce it's more how you work at it.

Yes my youngest is so different, but you have to appreciate how they are. I don't think she will be some towering academic, I don't think her interest lies there. I'll ask her what happened in school today. and she will give a running commentary about what 5 different kids in her class said or did or who is friends with who and who got in trouble. She is a total cut up at home, super funny. I can imagine her being part of SNL 20 years from now.

And Haven, congratulations! I know how difficult the tenure process is (from afar) and it is a remarkable achievement.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1359491389|3366700 said:
Dancing Fire|1359488715|3366652 said:

That IS something to brag about! I'll probably be retiring at 74 (house payments, helping kids out with tuition etc.....)
been there,done that... ::)

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
You guys (and your kids) have some serious accomplishments! Congrats to all! Mine is a tiny little brag. I redecorated my guest room! I have bay windows that overlook my front yard and the park opposite my house, so I got my carpenter to build me a window seat (with storage) and I ordered an awesome fabric from fabricguru.com. It was a bold choice but I am a flamboyant person :bigsmile: I had the fabrics shipped to two etsy seamstresses- 1 made the curtains, the other made the window seat cushion. Because I have pets, everything is machine-washable (even the window seat cushion is zippered). I love my nook! It's comfy and I just had my evening tea and read my kindle while lazing around there. :appl: The walls are all white, and the rest of the decor is neutrals with a few splashes of turquoise like a turquoise foo dog and some paintings.

Close-up of fabric -

_3356.jpg

_3359.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results