shape
carat
color
clarity

Sex and the City 2

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Just saw it last night. I was a fan of the show, and I loved the first one... Not sure about this one. If you saw it:

1. Did you enjoy it?
2. Which did you like better, the 1st or 2nd?
3. Was there a part that you didn''t like? Why?
4. What did you think of the fashion in this one?

I feel like I liked the 1st one better. Then last half of this one was a little ridiculous... Once they got to Abu Dhabi, it got sort of silly. And after she saw Aidan, it got really silly. And when they had to "escape" the horde of angry men..... come on. I also thought the clothes were AWFUL!! They did have some very nice dresses, but for the most part they were silly looking costumes. (Samantha''s spike shouldered number she wore during Karaoke?!?)

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
1. Did you enjoy it? - I enjoyed it in principle because it's SATC, but I don't think it was a "good" movie.
2. Which did you like better, the 1st or 2nd? - Definitely the 1st.
3. Was there a part that you didn't like? Why? - YES, when Big gave Carrie a big honkin' diamond ring, after he learns she cheated. Ridiculous!
4. What did you think of the fashion in this one? - It was ok. I don't remember anything that "wow"ed me.

ETA: I also found myself really not liking the Carrie character much this movie - with the whole needing "sparkle" in her marriage/life, kissing Aidan, etc. Ugh.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/21/2010 11:44:13 AM
Author:Tuckins1
1. Did you enjoy it?

1. Nope - nothing happened! The movie was soooo tedious.

2. The first, by far. That one had plot development and I cared about the outcome. This one, not so much.

3. When Charlotte wore a vintage white skirt to decorate cupcakes, or whatever, and then was surprised when it ended up dirty. Come on, people.

4. I generally hate the fashion on SATC, and this one didn''t change my mind. Could these women please travel in something reasonable? Sheesh. Even Charlotte, who I can usually count on to look adorably classy didn''t do it for me.

The best part of the movie was Samantha getting shown up by Miley Cyrus for wearing a clearly inappropriate dress.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just saw it last night. I was a fan of the show, and I loved the first one... Not sure about this one. If you saw it:

1. Did you enjoy it?

I feel like I liked the 1st one better. Then last half of this one was a little ridiculous... Once they got to Abu Dhabi, it got sort of silly. And after she saw Aidan, it got really silly. And when they had to ''escape'' the horde of angry men..... come on. I also thought the clothes were AWFUL!! They did have some very nice dresses, but for the most part they were silly looking costumes. (Samantha''s spike shouldered number she wore during Karaoke?!?)
My expectations were so in the gutter about the second that I actually enjoyed it.

The first one was a better movie, but it was also a downer. Even though the second was cheesy and somewhat stupid, I just had a better time watching it with the galpals.

SATC just worked better as a series where they could take time with character growth. In a movie, especially the second one, nearly all of them were just reduced to caricatures. That was fine with me since I didn''t expect much at all.

So to answer your questions:

1. surprisingly yes.
2. the second, even though the first was probably a better movie. I had some expectation for the first and zero for the second.
3. it was all sooo cheesy, I did have to roll my eyes. Especially the scene with the women revealing their "inner" fashionistas.
4. It was OTT, but hey, the entire movie was fantasy. I just rolled with it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2010 11:51:30 AM
Author: sillyberry

1. Did you enjoy it?

1. Nope - nothing happened! The movie was soooo tedious.

2. The first, by far. That one had plot development and I cared about the outcome. This one, not so much.

3. When Charlotte wore a vintage white skirt to decorate cupcakes, or whatever, and then was surprised when it ended up dirty. Come on, people.

4. I generally hate the fashion on SATC, and this one didn''t change my mind. Could these women please travel in something reasonable? Sheesh. Even Charlotte, who I can usually count on to look adorably classy didn''t do it for me.

The best part of the movie was Samantha getting shown up by Miley Cyrus for wearing a clearly inappropriate dress.
Obviously no one would wear vintage valentino to make cupcakes, but I think that was kind of the point. Charlotte was always about image and ideals, which usually got a crash course in reality.

I just think some of this resonated with me. I was in my 20''s when SATC first came out and I sort of "grew up" with these women. They''re not where they were when this show started, and I can appreciate the characters and where they are now. The women who were all single when the show came on are probably dealing with the issues that the characters are having now...that motherhood isn''t idyllic; that marriage can be monotonous and that somewhere, deep inside, there is still a longing for excitement, passion and adventure; and the fear of aging.

Unfortunately, those themes don''t really make for fantastic SATC storylines.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
It was a stupid, pathetic, terrible film on so many levels i dont even know how to describe it..

So in answer to your question, no i didnt like it
9.gif

The depiction of the middle east was ridiculous and condescending, the gratuitous and never ending shots of the hotel were awful (particularly in light of the GEC), the characters were unlikeable, the jokes were off, and who the hell gets given a diamond ring for cheating? is that what im not doing right?
31.gif

i nearly walked out it was so terrible....

And i
30.gif
the series so i was pretty disappointed

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
1. Not really, great time with the girls though.
2. I loved the first one, SJP needs to do something about her skin
39.gif

3. Big not picking her up, avoiding her all together and then presenting that fugly RING, omg.
4. Shoes were OK.
UAE doesn't look like that AT all, big Fake. It has been on free Demand for 2 weeks now...how sad.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/21/2010 11:59:01 AM
Author: TravelingGal
Obviously no one would wear vintage valentino to make cupcakes, but I think that was kind of the point. Charlotte was always about image and ideals, which usually got a crash course in reality.

I just think some of this resonated with me. I was in my 20''s when SATC first came out and I sort of ''grew up'' with these women. They''re not where they were when this show started, and I can appreciate the characters and where they are now. The women who were all single when the show came on are probably dealing with the issues that the characters are having now...that motherhood isn''t idyllic; that marriage can be monotonous and that somewhere, deep inside, there is still a longing for excitement, passion and adventure; and the fear of aging.

Unfortunately, those themes don''t really make for fantastic SATC storylines.
I get that, but Charlotte''s children are something like 2 and 4/5. She either (1) would know by now that "irreplaceable white skirt + red icing = terrible idea." or (2) is flat out dumb. Even the chi-chi mothers I have known would wear something like an expensive pair of chinos and fancy flats when doing domestic activities!

I actually agree with the latter part of your statement, that their stages in life were reasonable (if not a scintillating movie experience) but never was able to accept the skirt as reasonable, even for Charlotte York-Goldblatt.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, how could I forget to mention the "Single Ladies" performance at the beginning of the movie? I couldn't stop laughing, I thought it was absolutely brilliant!!

Steel

Ideal_Rock

1. Did you enjoy it?
I''ve seen worse. It was very long.

1st. It seemed shorter and less like 5 episodes crammed together.

So many bits I didnt like. Predictable, vulgar and did I mention long?
I was angry at Carrie for not ''dismissing'' her butler. Her faux pas was to not dismiss him, then she compounded it by allowing him to make her hot milk.
I took a parallel to the historic submission of women and the excessive submission of the staff at the hotel which was enjoyed by the 4 girls.
I really felt it was like 5 episodes crammed together with no correlation to the previous episode.

It was ostentatious for ostentatious'' sake. The shoes were far to high and Miranda/Charlotte could barely teeter past camera in a few shots. Too many costume changes for no reason. Stupid clothes nobody would ever wear in the real world; but if they did they would not bawlk at 22k per night room. A room might I add which has 2 reception rooms a bar etc but 2 guests had to share r.i.p.o.f.f

5. What I did like.

I liked that it seemed to progress the characters but in a negative way. Miranda''s career was not the be all and end all. Charlotte couldn''t be perfect. Carrie might have a man but it is flawed, as every relationship is. Samantha is f*cking around and will be single and old.

I particularly liked the mother''s chat. It seemed to be saying to the audience ''yeah we have the same issues, but you are not the same as us, our lives are unobtainable, for example we have nannies''

Same with the woman at the wedding who claimed to ''be'' Carrie.

It seemed to let the audience down gently; after 10 or so years we can let them go. We are not them and never will be.

P.s. I loved the men staring at the Nanny with her bouncy rack - a true funny moment. Where were you supposed to look with those puppies?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
watched the first one last week on netfilx.....never watched an episode of the tv show. don''t know if i can subject myself to the 2nd one.......but will admit to being curious. these women are so outside my lifestyle that its hard to relate.....but deep down they are women: and it is the friendship that is fascinating to watch. will wait for it to be on netfix.

mz

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2010 12:53:16 PM
Author: lilyfoot
Oh, how could I forget to mention the ''Single Ladies'' performance at the beginning of the movie? I couldn''t stop laughing, I thought it was absolutely brilliant!!

Definitely loved that!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2010 2:27:22 PM
Author: Tuckins1

Date: 6/21/2010 12:53:16 PM
Author: lilyfoot
Oh, how could I forget to mention the ''Single Ladies'' performance at the beginning of the movie? I couldn''t stop laughing, I thought it was absolutely brilliant!!

Definitely loved that!
Not for me.

I was cringing looking at the screen. I thought it was terrible
14.gif

Sha

Ideal_Rock
After reading some really bad reviews about SATC2 I thought it was going to be HORRIBLE, so I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually tolerable and failrly entertaining. Maybe because my expectations were so low? Or maybe because I saw it on the big screen with my gal pal.....not sure. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, though.

I rolled my eyes for the scene with Charlotte making cupcakes in the valentino too.....
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif
(Who wears valentino and heels to do cupcakes? I can't think of a real women who does that.). I also hated the scene where the Muslim women take off their burkas to reveal the year's top fashion collection.......
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif
How reductionist! It just seemed like it was saying that women all over the world are slaves to fashion, just like Carrie and the crew.
20.gif
I'm sure the majorty of women around the world have more important things to think about than securing the latest fashion trends.

Speaking of - do the girls wear jeans at all ????? Who wears haute couture to ride on camels in the desert or bake cupcakes? Really? I loved looking at the fashion on the big screen but it just seemed so unrealistic and made me feel like I just couldn't relate to them at all. If it is realistic for the kind of life they live, then I find all of it so shallow and materialistic. The obsession with 'high-life' living, the fancy apartments, clothes and shoes....
20.gif
.That's one thing I really hated about the first movie. Especially the part when Carrie gives Jennifer Hudson's character the Louis Vuitton bag and she screams with delight......
20.gif
As if having a LV bag were the most important thing in the world. I just find it all so superficial and sad. It doesn't make me want to be like them at all - it makes me sad for them.

I do like the continuing camaraderie that they share, though. It makes me miss my girl friends who live far away. I wish we lived closer to each other and could get together ike that, just like in the old days.
4.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually really enjoyed it. It was fun, not serious and I was just able to sit back and have a great night with my friends.
I preferred this one to the first one. I loved the first one too but I think I laughed more at this one.
The only bit that I didn''t really like was that Big gave her the diamond after she cheated on him. I also didn''t like the fact that she did cheat on him!
I thought that the fashion was better in the first. After the first movie I wanted to buy half the shoes and clothes in it, not so much with this movie.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
1. Did you enjoy it? I liked it because it was SATC but it wasn''t that great of a movie.
2. Which did you like better, the 1st or 2nd? The first!! By far.
3. Was there a part that you didn''t like? Why? Hated the black diamond ring at the end, hated Samantha giving the middle finger and throwing condoms around at the end, thought the Liza "single ladies" song and dance went on for waaaay to long, and the kareoke (sp?) at the night club. Cheesy!!
4. What did you think of the fashion in this one? It was just ok... I did love Carrie''s dress in the beginning and most of Charlotte''s clothes.

E B

Ideal_Rock
1. Did you enjoy it?

Not really. A few parts mildly offended me, and the rest bored me. I was actually waiting for it to end and I own every season of SATC on DVD, so I''m a fan. Usually.

The first, by far.

I can''t really recall a scene I liked. Well, seeing Aidan looking good was nice.
2.gif

Awful. This photo will express what my words cannot.

awfulSATCfash.jpg

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
I didn't watch all series... just too long! Hard to complain when you have good company
emcocktl.gif

I watched first one several times and would watch it again, not the second.
The shoe store part was so predictable, we all knew she'll be looking for that passport last minute
20.gif

Horrid clothes, bad jewelry including the black diamond
11.gif

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I thought it was really terrible.

The reason the first movie worked so we is because it was just like a bunch of episodes, one after the other spanning over a year with lots of ups and downs in the lives of these women, very much like a continuation of the series.

The second movie was just like one really bad drawn out episode where nothing much really happens except this stupid holiday. It just felt really pointless and empty.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
I''m the biggest SATC nerd alive (I mean I can literally quote the entire show from the first episode to the very last along with the characters. It''s pretty sad!), but the movies haven''t done it for me. They haven''t been true to the show. I mean, case in point, with the show, NYC itself was a character, and one of the key relationships in the show was that of Carrie and her city. Sometimes it gave you a beating, and sometimes it gave you a lift, but either way, it was always there. In both movies, a good bit of the story has taken place somewhere other than New York. If you''re going to remove the city from a movie based on Sex and THE CITY, you might as well forget to put Miranda in the movie, too! The first movie replaced the emphasis on the city with an emphasis on fashion, and the second did so with an emphasis on being over the top. Both replacements are shallow, so the story lost any depth. I enjoyed the second movie more, but I took it for what it was--it was meant to be ridiculous and silly, and if I hadn''t heard SJP and multiple other affiliates of the film call it "a romp" I would''ve been extremely disappointed in it, but I guess I was prepared. My favorite scene by a landslide was the one with Charlotte and Miranda discussing motherhood. It was a throwback to the show, it was the most realistic, and I thought it was fantastic.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
There wasn''t a FREAKING plotline to be found!

I mean, the point to the first movie is that Carrie and Big were going to get married. There was Carrie and Miranda''s lovers spat, Charlotte dealing with her perfect life and Samantha dealing with a dying relationship...and in the second? Um. They go on a trip. Carrie cheats on Big, Charlotte''s life isn''t as perfect as she originally thought, Samantha is getting old, and Miranda...what did Miranda do in the movie again?

There were far more parts in the movie that I disliked than I liked, but I''m still a loyal fan.

The only fashion I even took note of? Samantha''s shoes that she was wearing in her office at the beginning. Thats it. Everything else?
38.gif

And I missed NYC.

Is this the end though? Will there be a SATC3?

If its anything like the second, I hope not. I didn''t really enjoy it and I felt terrible for dragging my husband to it.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Bwahaha, Freke, you dragged your husband to SATC 2! Bwahahaha!
11.gif
Okay, I''m done now. Really.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 12:38:47 AM
Author: doodle
Bwahaha, Freke, you dragged your husband to SATC 2! Bwahahaha!
11.gif
Okay, I''m done now. Really.
Dude, I took my husband too .. I felt bad also, I think he would''ve "enjoyed" the first one a lot more than the second.

I watched my DVD of the 1st one at home the next week after I saw the 2nd .. it was definitely WAAAAAY better!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Did you enjoy it?

I''ve always been a die hard SATC fan, so I almost feel guilty saying this.......

Did I enjoy it? No, not as much as the first one. I really felt that this one was just an attempt to keep the story going. There was no real meat or guts to this movie.

I definitely liked the first one better. It had plot lines, most of it took place in New York City, all of the girls were really and truly themselves, and in general, the whole movie was very believable. The first movie made you care about the characters.

I didn''t like that most of the movie took place in another country. It''s Sex and the City. New York City that is.

The fashions in this movie were hideous and totally unwearable for the average woman. I mean really, come on, that ridiculous hat Carrie was wearing on the plane ride. The harem outfits. Everything was too big. Then again, I always thought Pat Fields was a little nuts. She''s put together the ugliest, weirdest outfits. I never understood her or her choices.

Freke, you weren''t the only one who took their husband along. My hubby went with me too, and it was only when we were walking out of the theater did he mention, "you dragged me to a chick flick. Where are the other guys?" :) But he was a big fan of the show and the first movie and he would have gone anyway.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn''t see it until 10 days after it came out, and I''d already read the (horrible) reviews, so I honestly went in with zero expectations.

I did enjoy it. SO actually suggested we go see it because he knew it would make me happy. Bless his heart, he sat through the whole thing with me and didn''t complain once although I did notice him flinching a lot and perhaps rolling his eyes behind his closed eyelids.

I liked the first SATC movie much better. I thought the message was great, the storylines were interesting, and the fashion was far more likeable.

I didn''t like the whole Aidan/Carrie thing, I hated the Liza Minelli bit, I didn''t like anything really about Abu Dhabai...

I did like the fashions in SATC 2 for the most part. It''s eye candy. It''s not reality, and if I want to see reality I''ll go people-watch at Wal-Mart. I felt like I got my fill of over the top haute couture for the $10 ticket price, and overall I was a satisfied customer. Prior to seeing this movie, I hadn''t seen a movie in the theater in 1.5 years.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 12:00:34 AM
Author: FrekeChild

Is this the end though? Will there be a SATC3?

I thought I read there will be, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

The thing I enjoyed most about the series was that the 'issues' were addressed in a clever way and, oddly enough, I could relate to some of them. And in the first film, the issues were substantial and interesting enough to, you know, actually make a film out of. This film? Wah, wah, wah. Charlotte and Miranda can't understand how any woman can take care of a child without professional help. Samantha whines because she's getting older. And Carrie's upset because....? Because she finally bagged Big and discovered that at 50+ years old, he doesn't want to hit the clubs every night?

And I'm not even touching on how they portrayed women (in general), gay people, and the Muslim culture.

If you've got time to kill, read some of the reviews from the Top Critics on RottenTomatoes.com. I don't usually care much about what the critics have to say, but a lot of these are pretty spot on, IMO.

(Interestingly enough, I didn't mind at all that they took them out of NYC. I thought the episodes from the series shot in LA were pretty funny and added a certain freshness.)

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2010 6:14:07 PM
Author: E B
1. Did you enjoy it?

Not really. A few parts mildly offended me, and the rest bored me. I was actually waiting for it to end and I own every season of SATC on DVD, so I''m a fan. Usually.

The first, by far.

I can''t really recall a scene I liked. Well, seeing Aidan looking good was nice.
2.gif

Awful. This photo will express what my words cannot.
Wowzie, that photo is awful!!! WTH?

Haven''t seen the movie and not interested. I am a SATC fan and did see the first which I really enjoyed. This one seems too OTT and out of touch with the vibe of the original series. Personally I prefer a NYC setting and some of the relationship woes is what made the show. Ridiculousness seems to have become a more prominent trait now though. And no offense to anyone (and I''m an oldie), but they''re also just getting too old for the whole song and dance.

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
1. Did you enjoy it?

It was like eating cotton candy. All sweetness, no real value.

Definitely the first because it had a story line and it showed the girls coming together to help Carrie. The second one didn''t have a great story and the characters really became caricatures of themselves instead of the more complex characters they were when the show was in its prime.

- Hated the entire scene where Carrie is dressed in the tuxedo and breathless baby talks to Big. Totally annoyed.
- Got annoyed every time I saw Carrie running around her apartment in heels. No NYC woman does that.
- Miranda''s storyline was too "simple" with the overwhelming boss and the quickie decision to quit. Do you really think that a 40 year old woman who has already made partner working 80 hrs a week is going to quake in her boots when her boss yells at her and curses her on her blackberry? Seriously, she would have dealt with all of that at 25. But then, SATC never did "get" the career woman storyline entirely right.
- I liked the discussion between Charlotte and Miranda. Now that was back to the old days of the girls having heart to hearts.
- I hated the over the top atmosphere. What was great about the series was Seinfeld-esque in that crazy things happened *to* the girls. SATCII was just too much overall fabulousness for my taste.
- They left out so many of the best characters. Harry and Steve had, like, 2 lines!

Way too far overboard. Also, Carrie used to be cool in that she mixed high fashion with lowbrow and bargains, but there was none of that. Guess the girls are too successful now
20.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results