color
clarity

Seattle Elementary teachers to wear BLM t-shirts in class

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Seattle Elementary teachers to wear BLM t-shirts in clas

AnnaH|1474664712|4080091 said:
Very gut wrenching video of the Charlotte shooting. It's mostly audio info. The victim's wife recorded but from a distance. Very harrowing. The wife is saying he has no gun while police shout to drop the gun. Confusing.

Heard that the police video isn't completely informative either, but that's not public yet.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/23/us/charlotte-keith-lamont-scott-shooting-wife-video/

Police are refusing to release their video.
Hmmm ... :think: ... What might they be hiding?
Police said he had a gun, so why not prove it with their video?

All police cameras should be webcams that stream LIVE and all videos should be recorded and placed on youtube.
We taxpayers OWN their cameras and all the content that they capture.
Police are OUR employees.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AnnaH|1474663893|4080088 said:
Fairly new to "hangout" so still getting used to it. Everyone's so nice on rt and smtb. :o

Welcome back, Holly.

Make her stick around until Christmas, Anna. I need her for the holiday music thread. Wait for that one. ;))

Deb
:saint:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1474652370|4079994 said:
And to think someone here is actually comparing what happened 300 years ago to advocate rioting, like we have not come up with more efficient ways to deal with issues today. Laughable.

ruby-

I do not know to whom you are referring with this posting above. It would be really helpful if you quoted people when you responded to their postings.

Also: sometimes you do quote people, but you do so in an incomplete fashion. I am not sure why you use the format that you do, which does not quote people verbatim and also fails to identify whom you are quoting. It would be helpful to the rest of us if you simply used Pricescope's automatic system, which will do that work for you.

I do not wish to censor you or dictate to you, but I sometimes cannot follow you and I wish to do so. I honestly want to have a dialogue with you and I cannot if I do not understand whom you are quoting.

Deb/AGBF

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dang! I go on vacation for 9 days and all hell breaks loose!

Hi HollyS!!!!! We need you back so please stay. :appl:

I need to spend some time working on an unpopular opinion before I can post it. :D

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66|1474669992|4080107 said:
Dang! I go on vacation for 9 days and all hell breaks loose!
white privilege!... :$$): :devil:

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock

Hey, Red. Another vaca?

Deb, I like Christmas music.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

AGBF|1474669969|4080106 said:
And to think someone here is actually comparing what happened 300 years ago to advocate rioting, like we have not come up with more efficient ways to deal with issues today. Laughable.

ruby-

I do not know to whom you are referring with this posting above. It would be really helpful if you quoted people when you responded to their postings.

Also: sometimes you do quote people, but you do so in an incomplete fashion. I am not sure why you use the format that you do, which does not quote people verbatim and also fails to identify whom you are quoting. It would be helpful to the rest of us if you simply used Pricescope's automatic system, which will do that work for you.

I do not wish to censor you or dictate to you, but I sometimes cannot follow you and I wish to do so. I honestly want to have a dialogue with you and I cannot if I do not understand whom you are quoting.

Deb/AGBF

It worked.

What I was doing was cutting and pasting, only what I was responding to. I always thought this way just made the threads too long by repeating things over and over.

But if the other way is easier to understand, I will use it.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AnnaH|1474671264|4080110 said:
Hey, Red. Another vaca?

Now that I am retired I need to make up for all the vacations I didn't take. :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1474671563|4080112 said:
What I was doing was cutting and pasting, only what I was responding to. I always thought this way just made the threads too long by repeating things over and over.

I believe that this way is, indeed, easier. Thank you very much for using it!

Deb :wavey:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PSer conservatives are rarer than "hen's teeth". The last count was 6 total and 3 of them are now hiding under their bed . .. :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1474672646|4080124 said:
PSer conservatives are rarer than "hen's teeth". The last count was 6 total and 3 of them are now hiding under their bed . .. :lol:

They sleep together?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well we have gone far from the original point of this thread as to the t-shirts in class. There are some posts here from people who say they are teachers and the posts are inflammatory, accusatory, and completely disrespectful. If this is their demeanor then these are not the teachers I would want explaining such a sensitive subject to my 5th grader. Should the topic of racism be discussed in school? Maybe, but by teachers who do not have an agenda to push. I do not know if these teachers at this particular school would be good or bad at the discussion. But they'd better be prepared for any questions that might comes up and they'd better be able to keep a cool head if a question come from a white/hispanic/black/asian kid who disagrees with them.

As to BLM, I do not support their particular organization as I feel it promotes segregation. They make outlandish and impossible demands that are truly designed to segregate the black population and create division. They do all of this while not addressing the problems in their own communities that lead to police being there in the first place. BLM says that is not part of their agenda. Well it should be if you want change for the better.

BLM demands and one should read them all - https://policy.m4bl.org/platform/

The word racist is thrown at people here if someone has a different opinion. That is not the case for the most part that I have seen. It is just a way to shut down any opposing opinion. It is a fact that no one can help the circumstances or color they are born with but in America they do have the opportunity to change it. Making excuses for those who don't or won't does not help. Does it take hard work? Sure but anything worthwhile does take a whole lot of hard work - not just being white.

Here is a video from author Taleeb Starkes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faolY5_hnIc

Arcadian said it better than I ever could and I loved her post for the personal story.

Here it is again for those who missed it.

Arcadian|1473961322|4076970 said:
I don't know about anyone here but I grew up in the projects. Wayne Minor to be exact. Project life will do one or 2 things; you either grow from it and make something out of your life and get the hell out of it, or you let that sh*t swallow you up and you start that cycle with a new generation. My parents set out to make sure their kids got out.

And thats what it takes. It takes a parent (or 2) or someone held in high enough regard to do it. And its A LOT of work.

When I was growing up, there were some outlets, parks and playgrounds within the communities, after school programs and even some community centers, but these days, much of the outlets for kids are gone. Either because its too dangerous to let them outside or, money got earmarked for some politicians pet project.

And therein lies the problem with many of them getting into trouble, got in with the gangs, started slinging drugs to make it day to day. These kids are kids, they see Beeboo with a pocket full of money, a souped up ride and think he's got it made. They may not know that this kid is making less than minimum wage and one slip-up on either the dope or cash will get him a pine box and a cemetery plot as a prize. This is what they look up to. They sit in their apartment or whatever maybe hungry, dreaming big, wanting to get out, and they see Beeboo so they figure thats what they need to be.

The perpetuation of the stereotype, propagated because of a need to survive. Is it right? No. But it where it came from.

That cycle rinses and repeat enough times and you got kids that before they're 18 have rap sheets as long as your arm. That will harden a person beyond what you or I can fathom. Getting arrested is street cred, F*ck the police is an anthem, and most don't even realize until its too late that they're destroying the very thing they claim to love. Some don't care (or say they don't care), but most do.

A lot of the responsibility starts at home I will agree with that. But how can you say that when you got a momma who is too overworked and barely sees her child because she works whatever shift they give her to keep the lights on and the rent paid? Or, momma is on crack, (hell daddy on crack?) and they sell little sister to feed their habit? Or they send you to the store to "get some food" without money? Where are the positive outlets for these kids? The rundown neighborhood schools that don't get the funding? The community center that has 50-11 crack heads sitting outside? The park that got taken over by the dope dealers or is the line in the sand for gang fights?

For some of our friends, they didn't have what you could call "a home" unless it was at our place. We weren't allowed to bring "the streets" into our home, none of our friends were either. Schoolwork was a priority. There are too few people out there like my parents who were willingly to take a kid in and hopefully turn them around.

I bring up my background not so people would feel sorry but so you can understand me and see my POV.

I love that there are those who are passionate about what BLM is supposed to be about. And I do love the discussion, for and against. That group has a lot of faults, for all the good its trying to do, but IMO its early yet, lets see where they take this. I think that there are some important learning moments to be had from all POV's.

But to call someone racist because they happen to disagree? No, please. offensive. Make your case. Disagree, or agree to disagree, but that type of name calling is way out of line.

Even "I" don't agree with everything that BLM is doing. even "I" feel that some of their members should practice what they preach, because some of them do prescribe to the F*ck the police anthem. If black lives really matter, How the hell come you don't protest in Chicago when there's black on black crime? When they're shooting at the police (some of whom are also black) and putting black lives at risk? Personally I feel like its not cool to say "F*ck the police" from one side of your mouth but cry and go crazy when your house is being shot up hollaring "where the police at?"

The other side of that is black officers. Do they matter? They protect and serve right along with their white and brown(or yellow) counterparts. I know and have worked with enough black officers that hmm... feel some sort of way about how BLM are handling this.

but to bring it home;

I do NOT feel that BLM tshirts are condusive to elementary school in and of themselves. This may be a current event, but my feeling is that it needs to be handled with some delicacy, especially at the elementary school stage. Some teachers might segregate the class without actually meaning to. IMO, this is stuff that should be worked into the class syllabus with enough supported history (and maybe an eye opening field trip) behind it that it actually makes sense. I believe they should at least let the parents KNOW what they're doing before its done. Again its a hot topic, and while they may be the teacher of that class, that is still not their child.

My personal feeling is that all lives matter. I don't care if you're purple with yellow polka dots, your life matters too. But, BLM is supposed to be specific in its aim and goal, which is why its not called All Lives Matter.

Who you are, your life style or color shouldn't matter for you to agree or to disagree... I'm actually OK with white lives matter. Don't bring KKK rhetoric into it, but sure, get a tshirt if it makes you feel better.

I love you all. Believe that. Carry on.

BTW, I made peanut butter pie this week.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock

Red, that was certainly worth a second read.
Take all the vacations you want; you deserve them.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock

Easy to criticize a white person for making such points, but what can be said about Starkes?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

She sure stepped in it but she has resigned her volunteer position as campaign chair in her county. She is likely not an elected official but the article does not say, so I will not assume she is a politician.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AnnaH|1474727237|4080255 said:
Easy to criticize a white person for making such points, but what can be said about Starkes?
He is a traitor b/c he told the truth.. ;)).. If there's one thing that I will never witness in my lifetime is a black conservative Prez in the whitehouse, really sad.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66|1474732130|4080272 said:
She sure stepped in it but she has resigned her volunteer position as campaign chair in her county. She is likely not an elected official but the article does not say, so I will not assume she is a politician.

I understand your point, but a politician is also defined as someone who is active in party politics. Campaign chair would check that box, I believe, so she certainly IS a politician.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1474740769|4080307 said:

I understand your point, but a politician is also defined as someone who is active in party politics. Campaign chair would check that box, I believe, so she certainly IS a politician.

Definition:

politician
noun pol·i·ti·cian \ˌpä-lə-ˈti-shən\
Popularity: Top 40% of words

Simple Definition of politician
: someone who is active in government usually as an elected official
Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

Full Definition of politician
: a person experienced in the art or science of government; especially : one actively engaged in conducting the business of a government
a : a person engaged in party politics as a profession
b : a person primarily interested in political office for selfish or other narrow usually short-sighted reasons

pro·fes·sion
prəˈfeSHən/Submit
noun
a paid occupation, especially one that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification.
"his chosen profession of teaching"

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock

redwood66|1474741247|4080313 said:

Definition:

politician

: a person experienced in the art or science of government; especially : one actively engaged in conducting the business of a government
b : a person primarily interested in political office for selfish or other narrow usually short-sighted reasons

pro·fes·sion
prəˈfeSHən/Submit
noun
a paid occupation, especially one that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification.

So by that definition- is Donald Trump a politician?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

sstephensid|1474741921|4080315 said:
redwood66|1474741247|4080313 said:

Definition:

politician

pro·fes·sion
prəˈfeSHən/Submit
noun

IMO - Yes because he is running for public office, he is now a politician.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, goodness. Redwood, I am sorry for coming across in a condescending manner or for seeming like I was trying to correct you. Was merely bringing up the point that she can be considered a politician due to her involvement with a party as its campaign chair, by definition. Google results bring up many definitions and part of most of them is "someone who is active in party politics."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politician

My husband has been a party chair. He has run for office. He hasn't been elected to office. Is he somehow NOT a politician? Because if he is not, maybe I can stop supporting him despite my despising his affiliation. Yay!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOL. You can say he is not a politician if he did not win! Yay! :lol:

But always support him.... :D

:wavey:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMO, No, unless he wins in Nov.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1474753556|4080371 said:
IMO, No, unless he wins in Nov.

I see him differently than the campaign chair that monnie posted about. He has spent the last 15 months eyeball deep in working toward the highest office in politics. But that is just me and my opinion. Others see it differently. If he is not a full fledged politician now, he will be for sure if he wins. They all turn just like vampires. :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1474671563|4080112 said:
AGBF|1474669969|4080106 said:

ruby-

Deb/AGBF

It worked.

Thank you very much! :appl:

Between the time the person you are quoting wrote what they wrote and the time you have quoted him/her and the time I read your new post lots of time may have passed.
That's why I rarely knew, actually never knew, whom you were quoting.
I don't have a good memory or a photographic one.

It was an unnecessary hassle to scroll up or page back to find out whom you were quoting.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This kind of thinking is the exact reason I will not listen to BLM. She is one of the founders of this "movement."

http://www.complex.com/life/2016/09/black-lives-matter-alicia-garza-charlotte

Excerpt:

“How do we stop violence, looting, and riots? The way that we stop that is by making sure that people have the things that they need to thrive,” Garza says. “When people are systematically denied their right to adequate housing, adequate schools, to adequate food, to dignity—this is a response and a reaction that we should absolutely expect.”

IMO these things are not rights. You obtain them by working. Just like everyone else does.

And police-free communities? SMH.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I deliberated a bit before I posted due to the sheer fact that i felt I would be slammed for posting my view.

I was right and by the same people as last time, and am apparently not capable of critical thought, so I will keep my thoughts to myself here on out.
Peace out

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66|1474756856|4080389 said:
This kind of thinking is the exact reason I will not listen to BLM. She is one of the founders of this "movement."

http://www.complex.com/life/2016/09/black-lives-matter-alicia-garza-charlotte

Excerpt:

“How do we stop violence, looting, and riots? The way that we stop that is by making sure that people have the things that they need to thrive,” Garza says. “When people are systematically denied their right to adequate housing, adequate schools, to adequate food, to dignity—this is a response and a reaction that we should absolutely expect.”

IMO these things are not rights. You obtain them by working. Just like everyone else does.

And police-free communities? SMH.

Human beings do not have the right to dignity, food, and an education?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results