color
clarity

Seattle Elementary teachers to wear BLM t-shirts in class

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Seattle Elementary teachers to wear BLM t-shirts in clas

Dancing Fire|1474617268|4079833 said:
Nothing wrong with peaceful protesting, but no excuses for rioting and looting... :nono:

I did not endorse Gypsy's posting only because it appeared to be directed against a poster as well as the poster's message and I prefer to direct my postings against posters' messages as often as I can. (I lose my temper and go after posters sometimes, but that is when I am out of control.)

I have to say that I think this idea is oversimplified, however. Whether or not one endorse "looting and rioting" as the best possible solution to social problems to say that "there are no excuses" for them is to ignore the realities of how people feel when faced with impossible conditions over which they have had and feel they will never have any power. The anger has to go somewhere. Looting and rioting are not phenomena that are peculiar the the United States or to this century. They have existed for millennia and worldwide.If there is "no excuse" for them, there certainly must be reasons for them.

AGBF

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock

AG, thanks for being thoughtful and intelligent while disagreeing.
You prove it can be done.
The anger and outrage is real and understandable, but condoning violence and stealing is wrong. The families and other activists are right to condemn the violence. Not saying that AGBF is condoning violence.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I live in NC and my husband does have an CC permit and routinely carries. CC is NOT a white priviledge, it's open to all and we know people of all race that have them here.

I do not condone rioting and looting as a means of getting your point across. To me that is just a criminal with an opportunity/reason to steal

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Don't know about other members here, but I don't want to see rioting and looting in my town.

No sane person would.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Nothing wrong with peaceful protesting, but no excuses for rioting and looting...

Or terrorizing people in their cars who are just going about their business.

And if there are children in that car, so what? You are angry so, oh well?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

And to think someone here is actually comparing what happened 300 years ago to advocate rioting, like we have not come up with more efficient ways to deal with issues today. Laughable.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Only people who agree with you can be thoughtful and intelligent?

Exactly, Anna. But the best way to deal with rude people is to just ignore them. Their posts are quite obvious and telling.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

Wow . . . an 11 page thread where

1) I wasn't the one accused of stirring the pot

2) I didn't stir the pot

3) and, once again, people cannot always agree to disagree

Seems like old times! Oh, the discussions we've had! This makes me downright nostalgic. :wink2:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear?...It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

autumngems|1474649080|4079975 said:
CC is NOT a white priviledge, it's open to all and we know people of all race that have them here.
I think you missed the point of that post.

I believe this is all conjecture anyways but I will try to clarify this point for you.

CC is open to all races - that's great! Awesome.
A white person is using their right for CC - doesn't get shot, because duh, it's not illegal, and he's not doing anything wrong.
A black person is using their right to CC, and gets shot, because OMG HE HAD A GUN AND IT LOOKED LIKE HE MIGHT HAVE BEEN REACHING FOR IT. (even though he probably wasn't, was only going for the ID the cops asked him for, or his leg was itchy or any number of other actual legitimate reasons people have but end up getting shot).

That's why it's white privilege. Everyone has the 'right' to CC, but only certain races seem to end up dead while exercising this right.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

All that anger all that bloodshed has to go somewhere.

And an innocent person gets hurt. So his family goes after someone else. And then they retaliate.

We have had something similar going on in a major city of my home state for decades. Families seeking revenge on each other.

Where does it end? Fighting blood shed with more blood shed is how that protester was killed.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This thread actually, legitimately terrifies me. You know who terrifies me more than this thread, though? White people who continue to believe that things aren't related to the color of someone's skin. You know who does NOT terrify me in any way? Black people who are desperate for change, who have guns, who riot, who loot, who are doing those things because of their constant and continued oppression. Know why they don't frighten me? Because you can reason with people who are willing to get up and do something to give their plight attention rather than sweep it all under the rug and refuse to admit there's a problem, and just go along with whatever white people deem appropriate. They are looking for a solution. The former, on the other hand, is doing everything in its immense and seemingly insurmountable power to withhold any type of solution.

Human beings can be just awful. :(sad

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

telephone89|1474653383|4080008 said:
CC is NOT a white priviledge, it's open to all and we know people of all race that have them here.

I believe this is all conjecture anyways but I will try to clarify this point for you.

A white person is using their right for CC - doesn't get shot, because duh, it's not illegal, and he's not doing anything wrong.
A black person is using their right to CC, and gets shot, because OMG HE HAD A GUN AND IT LOOKED LIKE HE MIGHT HAVE BEEN REACHING FOR IT. (even though he probably wasn't, was only going for the ID the cops asked him for, or his leg was itchy or any number of other actual legitimate reasons people have but end up getting shot).

That's why it's white privilege. Everyone has the 'right' to CC, but only certain races seem to end up dead while exercising this right.

You are wasting your time explaining this, Telephone. One of the major problems in society is that there are MANY people who are incapable of critical thinking. Everything is surface, and they refuse to stretch beyond their comfort zone and actually consider the underlying, deep seated issues. Solutions? Ha. Just be good like me, and everything will be fine. Stay there in your place and behave the way I want you to behave and we're all good. :rolleyes: This is also usually prefaced with things like "But I have a good friend who is black!" "I don't see color!" and "I'm not racist!" :roll:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1474653927|4080015 said:
This thread actually, legitimately terrifies me. You know who terrifies me more than this thread, though? White people who continue to believe that things aren't related to the color of someone's skin. You know who does NOT terrify me in any way? Black people who are desperate for change, who have guns, who riot, who loot, who are doing those things because of their constant and continued oppression. Know why they don't frighten me? Because you can reason with people who are willing to get up and do something to give their plight attention rather than sweep it all under the rug and refuse to admit there's a problem, and just go along with whatever white people deem appropriate. They are looking for a solution. The former, on the other hand, is doing everything in its immense and seemingly insurmountable power to withhold any type of solution.

+1

Clue: Freeing the slaves in 1863 didn't fix society or repair the damage done to a people.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1474654298|4080021 said:
monarch64|1474653927|4080015 said:

+1

Clue: Freeing the slaves in 1863 didn't fix the damage done.

Exactly, Kenny. Exactly.

I worked with a woman a couple years ago who was a complete and total racist. Something in the news one day had caused people in our workplace to bring up the issue of slavery, etc. She actually said, with exasperation in her voice and a roll of her eyes, "WELL WHAT DO THEY WANT???" As if everything was fixed back in 1863. :???: :roll: :nono: :blackeye:

That sort of attitude is prevalent around where I live. Hell, the KKK is active and totally out about it maybe 30 miles from where I live. But those effing rioting black folk--why can't they just stay in their place???

iLander

Ideal_Rock

In theory, it's legal for blacks to open carry in states that allow it.

In practice, it's not safe for them to do so.

The article below and the horrible story of Jeronimo Yanez prove my point.

https://thinkprogress.org/a-black-man-legally-carrying-a-gun-was-wrongly-labeled-a-suspect-by-dallas-police-cebab2351d14#.vegsawyo8

A Black Man Legally Carrying A Gun Was Wrongly Labeled A Suspect By Dallas Police

On Thursday night, during the police protests in Dallas that erupted in gunfire, a black man legally carrying a gun was mistaken for a suspect by city officials.

The Dallas Police Department and the Dallas Police Association, the largest union representing the city’s police department, both tweeted a photo during the event of a young, black suspect holding a gun.
The photo was plastered across national news.

Under Texas law, people can legally carry openly in most public places, including on the streets where the protests occurred.
Hughes, like almost half of Texas residents, owns a firearm and can legally carry it in public places. On January 1 of this year, a newly passed law made Texas the 45th state to allow people to publicly carry firearms. When the law went into effect, hundreds of white Texas celebrated by openly carrying their rifles around Austin — to the convenience store, through the streets, and on the Capitol steps.

The man identified in the photo, Mark Hughes, had been peacefully protesting alongside thousands of others on Thursday night. In an interview with CBS, his brother — one of the organizers of the protest — said that Hughes had no involvement in the violence. The Dallas Morning News reported that Hughes can be seen protesting in its video footage.

After learning he was wanted, Hughes turned himself in to authorities and handed over his weapon.

And let's not forget this little gem:

Kelly told Fox News that if Yanez pulled Castille over that day because he believed him to fit the description of a wanted armed robbery suspect, the officer was doing "good police work and approved police work." He called this a "standard investigatory stop."

Castile's girlfriend Diamond Reynolds was in the car and streamed the immediate aftermath of the shooting live on Facebook. She has said Yanez shot Castile several times after he told the officer he had a gun and a permit for it and then reached for his wallet.

Yanez "was reacting to the actions of the driver," Kelly said. "This had nothing to do with race. This had everything to do with the presence of a gun."

"Presence of a gun" with a legal permit. So yeah, equal in theory, but not in reality.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I live in NC and my husband does have an CC permit and routinely carries. CC is NOT a white priviledge, it's open to all and we know people of all race that have them here.

I do not condone rioting and looting as a means of getting your point across. To me that is just a criminal with an opportunity/reason to steal
Exactly!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

HollyS|1474653016|4080004 said:

2) I didn't stir the pot

Seems like old times! Oh, the discussions we've had! This makes me downright nostalgic. :wink2:

As one of the pot stirrers still (although a true ghost of my previous incarnation, lack of energy will do that), I've missed you. A (mostly) conservative with a thick hide. They seem to be in short supply these days.

You should pop back in more often.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

To me that is just a criminal with an opportunity/reason to steal

What I do not understand was the need for some to cover their faces? Why hide?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1474654159|4080019 said:
telephone89|1474653383|4080008 said:

You are wasting your time explaining this, Telephone. One of the major problems in society is that there are MANY people who are incapable of critical thinking. Everything is surface, and they refuse to stretch beyond their comfort zone and actually consider the underlying, deep seated issues. Solutions? Ha. Just be good like me, and everything will be fine. Stay there in your place and behave the way I want you to behave and we're all good. :rolleyes: This is also usually prefaced with things like "But I have a good friend who is black!" "I don't see color!" and "I'm not racist!" :roll:
Ugh. I know you're right, but I can't help it. It breaks my heart that in 2016 (almost 2017!) people still believe shit like this.
This is how I feel most days :wall: :wall: :wall:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Why can't some people debate an issue without attacking the poster?

Do they feel it strengthens their argument or it will scare off those who do not agree from expressing theirs?

Two separate people have mentioned here that they were accused of being pot stirrers? To me that is sad that people are afraid to post here without fear of being called names.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock

ruby59|1474661762|4080068 said:

Do they feel it strengthens their argument or it will scare off those who do not agree from expressing theirs?

Two separate people have mentioned here that they were accused of being pot stirrers? To me that is sad that people are afraid to post here without fear of being called names.

Some seem to think name calling is a legitimate argument.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

ksinger|1474659031|4080048 said:
HollyS|1474653016|4080004 said:

2) I didn't stir the pot

As one of the pot stirrers still (although a true ghost of my previous incarnation, lack of energy will do that), I've missed you. A (mostly) conservative with a thick hide. They seem to be in short supply these days.

You should pop back in more often.

:wavey:

I'll see what I can do.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

ruby59|1474661762|4080068 said:

You've been on PS since 2004 and you haven't seen this kind of thing before now??

Where were you in, say, 2007 and 2008?

I've been called by many names here. None of them my actual name, you understand.

When an issue is a hot-button topic, and emotions are involved . . . there is going to be misunderstanding. I decided a long time ago to just step away and 'not go there'.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Over the 10 years I have been here I have seen many pile-ons, causing many great posters to leave.

My question was more rhetorical in that hasn't anyone learned from that to keep discussions on topic.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock

Fairly new to "hangout" so still getting used to it. Everyone's so nice on rt and smtb. :o

Welcome back, Holly.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock

Very gut wrenching video of the Charlotte shooting. It's mostly audio info. The victim's wife recorded but from a distance. Very harrowing. The wife is saying he has no gun while police shout to drop the gun. Confusing.

Heard that the police video isn't completely informative either, but that's not public yet.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/23/us/charlotte-keith-lamont-scott-shooting-wife-video/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results