shape
carat
color
clarity

Scrooge versus the Grinch

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who wins for being the meanest???

I was seriously having this debate today with my husband. We lead such exciting lives. So of COURSE I had to SHARE!

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
They were both redeemed in the end, right? So perhaps the flip side is worthy of conversation next...

I think Grinch. As he took what was already there. He stole. He was vindictive and conniving and and and he employed the services of that adorable little pup. Who he also BEAT and ABUSED. Grinch gets my vote for being the meanest, most ruthless, most heartless and VILE. And and and he even has a song that describes his faults....

It goes something like this;

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.
You really are a heel.
You're as cuddly as a cactus,
You're as charming as an eel.
Mr. Grinch.

You're a bad banana
With a greasy black peel.

You're a monster, Mr. Grinch.
Your heart's an empty hole.
Your brain is full of spiders,
You've got garlic in your soul.
Mr. Grinch.

I wouldn't touch you, with a
thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole.

You're a vile one, Mr. Grinch.
You have termites in your smile.
You have all the tender sweetness
Of a seasick crocodile.
Mr. Grinch.

Given the choice between the two of you
I'd take the seasick crockodile.

You're a foul one, Mr. Grinch.
You're a nasty, wasty skunk.
Your heart is full of unwashed socks
Your soul is full of gunk.
Mr. Grinch.

The three words that best describe you, are as follows, and I quote:

STINK! STANK!! STUNK!!!

You're a rotter, Mr. Grinch.
You're the king of sinful sots.
Your heart's a dead tomato splotched
With moldy purple spots,
Mr. Grinch.

Your soul is an apalling dump heap overflowing
with the most disgraceful assortment of deplorable
rubbish imaginable,
Mangled up in tangled up knots.

You nauseate me, Mr. Grinch.
With a nauseaus super-naus.
You're a crooked jerky jockey
And you drive a crooked hoss.
Mr. Grinch.

You're a three decker saurkraut and toadstool sandwich
With arsenic sauce!

As I say, Grinch, I rest my case!
35.gif

lightningbug

Shiny_Rock
A worthy debate! I agree that the Grinch was meaner. Scrooge was a stingy boss, but he basically kept to himself. The Grinch went into other people''s homes and stole presents, decorations...even a crumb from the mouse. He also whipped that poor dog. On the other hand, Scrooge hurt many individuals who tried to be kind to him--his ex gf, his sister''s family, Bob''s family...but I don''t think being a hurtful sourpuss outweighs theft and animal cruelty on the meanness scale.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll argue for scrooge being meaner. The grinch stole things, but he only took frivolous things like Christmas trees and presents. Scrooge withheld money and coal and help that meant the difference between life and death for some.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 1:42:21 PM
Author: Guilty Pleasure
I''ll argue for scrooge being meaner. The grinch stole things, but he only took frivolous things like Christmas trees and presents. Scrooge withheld money and coal and help that meant the difference between life and death for some.
Good point!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmmm.

Grinch: Animal abuse, stealing christmas trees, presents etc. Tried to ruin one specific holiday.

Scrooge: Evicting people year round, worker abuse and witholding basic necessities like heat.

Gonna have to go with Scrooge on this one!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
The Grinch''s heart was two sizes too small so his mean streak can actually be attributed to a medical condition.
Mr. Scrooge was simply heartless.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 2:13:09 PM
Author: Starset Princess
The Grinch''s heart was two sizes too small so his mean streak can actually be attributed to a medical condition.
SP, this made me LOL, and I therefore have no choice but to agree!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote Scrooge as meanest, but I like the Grinch best. We like to watch the movie and sing the song! JD likes to walk around and sing in a super deep voice "You''re a mean one, Missi Grinch". Doesn''t win him any points.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Grinch.

lightningbug

Shiny_Rock

No, no! He stole FOOD from the houses, and he also took light fixtures, furniture, and blankets from tiny children. Basically, he was an evil despot who single-handedly *plundered* an entire village in support of his own political ideology. If he hadn''t changed his mind, the Whos could have died from the cold and starvation. It was a very cold winter ~ you''ve seen the snow.

And let''s not forget, Starset, that Mr. Scrooge was mean because his mother died in childbirth (with him!), causing his father to hate him so much that he sent him to a boarding school and made him spend holidays there alone. Then his sister died and his fiance left him and married another man. The Grinch may have had a medical condition (LOL), but Scrooge was socialized very badly indeed. But did he steal? No. He ran a business, employed workers, and although he was stingy with them, he deprived himself of the same luxuries that he denied them.

In spite of Scrooge''s sad history, he managed to learn from the error of his ways and redeem himself--eventually becoming a model citizen. The Grinch just had a sudden ''epiphany'' that was closely correlated with heart enlargement. That''s pretty shady, if you ask me. Who''s to say he''s not going to suffer Heart Shrinkage Syndrome (HSS) in the future and revert to animal cruelty and village plundering...or worse? The man''s a wild card. I don''t trust him.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 4:25:41 PM
Author: lightningbug

No, no! He stole FOOD from the houses, and he also took light fixtures, furniture, and blankets from tiny children. Basically, he was an evil despot who single-handedly *plundered* an entire village in support of his own political ideology. If he hadn''t changed his mind, the Whos could have died from the cold and starvation. It was a very cold winter ~ you''ve seen the snow.

And let''s not forget, Starset, that Mr. Scrooge was mean because his mother died in childbirth (with him!), causing his father to hate him so much that he sent him to a boarding school and made him spend holidays there alone. Then his sister died and his fiance left him and married another man. The Grinch may have had a medical condition (LOL), but Scrooge was socialized very badly indeed. But did he steal? No. He ran a business, employed workers, and although he was stingy with them, he deprived himself of the same luxuries that he denied them.

In spite of Scrooge''s sad history, he managed to learn from the error of his ways and redeem himself--eventually becoming a model citizen. The Grinch just had a sudden ''epiphany'' that was closely correlated with heart enlargement. That''s pretty shady, if you ask me. Who''s to say he''s not going to suffer Heart Shrinkage Syndrome (HSS) in the future and revert to animal cruelty and village plundering...or worse? The man''s a wild card. I don''t trust him.

false. I remember very clearly that Scrooge lived in a big house with a fire going and slept in a bed protected from drafts by heavy velvet curtains. He could afford a heavy wool coat and probably never went hungry. Also, I believe he was partially responsible for his partner''s death, although I don''t remember the details of that situation. Grinch never killed anyone.

Plus, we do not know the financial situtation of the Whovillonians - perhaps they could afford all new furniture or had plenty of pigs out back to get a new ham. I will also contend that the Whos are a species that goes unaffected by the cold - they were outside on Christmas morning singing in their nightgowns.

PS - I enjoyed reading your post
1.gif

lightningbug

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 5:45:21 PM
Date: 5/10/2010 4:25:41 PM

Author: lightningbug

false. I remember very clearly that Scrooge lived in a big house with a fire going and slept in a bed protected from drafts by heavy velvet curtains. He could afford a heavy wool coat and probably never went hungry. Also, I believe he was partially responsible for his partner''s death, although I don''t remember the details of that situation. Grinch never killed anyone.

Plus, we do not know the financial situtation of the Whovillonians - perhaps they could afford all new furniture or had plenty of pigs out back to get a new ham. I will also contend that the Whos are a species that goes unaffected by the cold - they were outside on Christmas morning singing in their nightgowns.

PS - I enjoyed reading your post
1.gif

Propaganda. Dehumanizing the Whos by saying that they don''t *feel the cold* simply makes their victimization more palatable. If you prick a Who, does he not bleed? They were wearing nightgowns because they had no other clothes -- unlike Bob Cratchit and his wife and six children who were housed, clothed, AND fed on the one salary paid by Scrooge. I believe that Scrooge should have paid for the family''s health care, but even today health care is not popularly supported among many small business owners, and employers don''t pay salaries based on the size of their employees'' families.

To your point about the drapes: Scrooge and Cratchit both worked in a chilly office. At home, Bob could not afford heavy drapes because he had six children and valued their well being above his own. Scrooge could afford heavy drapes because he had no family to love--but certainly there was no suggestion that he lived a life of opulence--his house was dark and dreary.

Scrooge may be guilty of paying a low salary, under-heating his office, and not giving to charity, but I bet many of us have had employers who are guilty of the same acts. He is not, however, a burglar who breaks into the homes of innocent citizens in the dead of night and steals their warm clothes, food, and their children''s toys. The Grinch is a thug.

PS - Likewise.
1.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 2:13:09 PM
Author: Starset Princess
The Grinch's heart was two sizes too small so his mean streak can actually be attributed to a medical condition.

9.gif
Okay, gotta go with Scrooge. He was mean all year round, as others have mentioned.

By the way, I wonder what the Grinch did in the off-season. Hmmm.

This thread cracks me up! There are a few very insightful replies!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Scrooge was the face of evil and was sooooo mean. Heartless doesn''t begin to say how he was...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ROFLMAO. And this thread is EXACTLY why I love PS. You guys are so smart and so funny!!!!

I''ve got to say, the Scrooge party is winning me over to their side.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2010 2:43:49 AM
Author: Gypsy
ROFLMAO. And this thread is EXACTLY why I love PS. You guys are so smart and so funny!!!!

So totally agree!

I am Team Scrooge. People are the most important animals, and he was intolerably cruel to people.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results