shape
carat
color
clarity

Scheduling Tools/Calendars/Etc

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It came to my attention this year that my Gcal/iCal/post it note pileup is not effectively working anymore when I missed a (not exactly important but still embarrassing) event, and kept having moments of "I think I am supposed to be somewhere right now" occurring with alarming frequency. I would always buy day planners and then not really use them. I have a desk calendar at home and at work, but mostly it's a crumb catcher I don't really do much with beyond eat on. I thought I could rely on the smartphone and alerts..and, many MANY people have pointed out that, well, I can't. And partly bec I don't always remember to enter said event. Partly bec I don't have my phone in range to hear the alert. And sometimes I'd write things on a post it and then it would be buried or lost.

I was NEVER bad at remembering things like this before the last year or two. Actually I was REALLY good at it before. I don't know if its that I am at a different TYPE of job now, and my deadline oriented mind isn't on the same constant calendar as it used to be, or if I am just in a dopamax induced haze, or I am just overly scheduled and worn thin. But it's gotten out of control.

I read a blog that does this column called Get Shit Done, and she profiles small (and in some cases large) business owners, mostly women, about how they get everything done and what tools they use to do so. More than one of the subjects mentioned what I think is the most AMAZING day planner, the Whitney English Day Designer, designed by a graphic designer so she thinks like one...and that's the one I am going to go with this year. I saw it mentioned so many times that I googled it and searched for more information. After hemming and hawing about it forever, I finally bought one, and then I had to wait for it to come. Which was hell. But it was SO WORTH the wait. It is so pretty that I can't wait for January. I made "copies" of January and then whited out the dates to make them for November and December to start using it already. I am hoping that if I use this AND my phone I will finally get it together. I say that every time I get a planner, that I am going to use it. Then I just stop one day. I have 2 really pretty Kate Spade planners, a filofax...I just don't use those. I have no explanation as to why i just stop.

So after all that...what do you use to keep your schedule organized? Does it work for you?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to have a calendar to write everything down. Otherwise I'm lost. I use Outlook calendar at work and put my personal meetings/reminders on it because I always have my work phone with me. For family stuff, DH and I share a Google calendar that we can access from anywhere. Makes it easier to coordinate who needs to be where and when, especially with childcare coverage.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
No one else uses a planner or relies on a smartphone calendar?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I rely on my smartphone calendar heavily. It is linked to my work and other personal emails so I get work and personal reminders. I make sure to set up the appointment reminder ON THE SPOT, otherwise I might forget it completely. I then set it up to have 2 reminders; one 30 minutes before and the second 15 minutes prior. If it is a long drive, I adjust the time appropriately. Even if the ringer is off, my phone will vibrate so I don't miss anything. By the same token, I do not carry my phone in a purse or a place where I cannot feel it vibrate or hear it ring. It is either in my pocket, in my hand / lap or on a table where I can see it.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A good old fashioned paper organiser. It sits open on my kitchen workbench constantly & gets popped into my bag if I am going somewhere or meeting someone that I might need it for. Despite trying various apps etc, my trusted, well travelled Mulberry Organiser still works for me without fail - I am famous for being the most organised person ever :D

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
My husband and I share a Cozi calendar. The calendar part is helpful, but it really shines in the shared list feature for us. We can both add to the To Do or the Grocery Shopping lists so that one is out and about we're being efficient with our trips.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1384454057|3556477 said:
I rely on my smartphone calendar heavily. It is linked to my work and other personal emails so I get work and personal reminders. I make sure to set up the appointment reminder ON THE SPOT, otherwise I might forget it completely. I then set it up to have 2 reminders; one 30 minutes before and the second 15 minutes prior. If it is a long drive, I adjust the time appropriately. Even if the ringer is off, my phone will vibrate so I don't miss anything. By the same token, I do not carry my phone in a purse or a place where I cannot feel it vibrate or hear it ring. It is either in my pocket, in my hand / lap or on a table where I can see it.
I tend to set things to my Gcal as my default and have a million and one reminders. I still manage to blow it sometimes. I do need to stop putting my phone back in my purse and hold it or pocket it I think bec then I'd miss less stuff. Maybe.

aviastar|1384460794|3556545 said:
My husband and I share a Cozi calendar. The calendar part is helpful, but it really shines in the shared list feature for us. We can both add to the To Do or the Grocery Shopping lists so that one is out and about we're being efficient with our trips.

I tried this app with DH for months...and we couldn't make it work for us. I don't really know WHY but Gcal seemed to work better I guess? I dunno, nothing works on him. Neither of us checks our phone for a list, or similar, I seem to write those on paper, he works from home and he almost never goes to the store at all, so that never worked for him.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results