shape
carat
color
clarity

Safe to wear my diamond ring in Cabo San Lucas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I did a search to see if there was a thread on this one...just for you Mara! So please don't be mad if I'm repeating an old thread, but I didn't find anything.

Can I wear my diamond wedding ring to Cabo next month? We're staying at a swank resort & I hate being without my bling. I have 1ctw earrings too that I never take off and are very secure.

My dad always made me take off my jewelry before I went on vacation to Mexico, saying it'd get me robbed, but, I'm going with my big, strong, studly husband, my baby son & another couple & their baby boy.

Its such a wide band, I can't imagine it sliding off while swimming and if I decide to go scuba diving, I freakin' wear gloves, even in warm water, (to protect from coral & other ouchies) or I can give it to my friend who is going with us, to wear for me while I dive. (she looooves my ring...LOL...won't have to twist her arm. She likes to wear it when we hang out sometimes).

Thanks

Jeannine

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Why take the chance? I would not do it. Even though my jewlery is insured, why call attention to yourself? I''m sure others will say go for it and its fine. Its really about what you feel comfortable with. But I would probably give my daughters the same advice your dad gave you.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Oh gee thanks Asscherisme...sound all logical and reasonable. pffffffffbbbbbbbbbbbttttttt
31.gif

I always feel so "blah" without my ring when I travel, and especially now that I have my baby, I hate being seen with him, without my ring. I know single parenthood is not a bad thing, but for me, since I am married, and had my baby years after I got married, well, I''m proud of that, *for me*... its just a personal quirk. ( I do not judge others...life happens right?)

I want to look married and I always see people wearing diamond rings on vacation & it makes me wish I had brought mine.

They are insured, of course...

I bought a white gold band on ebay, but it was not what I wanted, so I returned it for a refund. Or else that would have been cool.

I mean, isn''t Cabo just like the US? Every one is American there, so it shouldn''t be dangerous!!! Any other Cabo goers on here wear their rings?

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I never wear my real stuff on vacation. When I went to the Dominican Republic I wore a qvc wedding set. I looked married but didn't have to worry about loss or theft.When we left the gated resort I left the QVC stuff in the safe. The poverty is so widespreadthat I wasn't going to take a chance on being mugged. Just imagine if something were to happen to it or you?? I wouldn't take the chance. And hide it well in the house where a theif couldn't find it- but not so good you can't.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ok, i"m on the other side of the fence
41.gif

I say wear it!

Now, this is just me...but, I would wear it. Here is my reasoning. If its insured and you are not really sentimental about it, then why not?? I mean, God forbid, if something did happen to it, you would have the insurance $ to go ahead and purchase another one just like it, or have another remade if you went custom. Again, I know some PSer''s have an emotional attachment to their stones....but if you picked it out yourself, or if you and your DH or FI are not that way...you;d be ok with possibly having to start over....

now, as far as safety....I guess I would just turn the ring toward the inside if I felt I was in a shady area or in shady company, KWIM?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i wear fakes when i travel. is insurance good for a loss international?

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I would say don''t risk it.

It''s not worth it...

I wouldn''t...although I don''t have to worry about it since I don''t have an e-ring *yet*...hehe!....but if I did, I wouldn''t.

I''m from Venezuela and everytime I go home I take all my jewlery everything off...why? because what''s the point of tempting?. The problem is some people don''t realize that a thief might do just more than take your ring or your possesions. In Venezuela as well as other countries/islands, you hear of horror stories because for some reason the thief freaked out (maybe the person being robbed wasn''t "cooperating") and they do something really stupid. I''m not trying to scare anyone or exagarate...but it''s the truth, it happens...
14.gif

I wouldn''t even wear something fake that looks like an original (say a watch)...because to their eyes it looks like it''s real...again, no need to tempt!...

Just my opinion though.

M~

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, this is just me. We went to Cabo in 2004 and I wore just a plain wedding band I wear for travelling. The locals stare at us Americans. All of us noticed it, including our hubbies.

A friend of mine had her pursed snatched from her, on a previous trip, she was also with her strong hubby.

I say PLEASE LEAVE YOUR REAL STUFF AT HOME. Just my opinion for what it is worth.

Linda

nicolejrx

Shiny_Rock
Good question!
I am going to be going to Cabo on my honeymoon in October. Where are you staying? We are staying at the One and Only Palmilla. I am still debating whether or not I am going to bring my engagement ring. I will definitely be wearing my eternity band and my future hubby is going to wear his too (he is getting 3 1/2 carats of diamonds too). Both of our rings will be insured before we go. I think when we leave the resort, which won''t be often, I will leave our rings in the safe.
Nicole

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Leave it at home. If you have to have some bling, buy a fake ring. It''s not worth the risk. There was a wife of a friend that was traveling in Asia that had her finger cut off because the thief wanted to get it over quickly, didn''t want the risk of being seen. That''s an extreme example, but something that is entirely possible.

And even though you can turn your ring around in shady areas, there are always shady people in the good areas too. All they have to do is follow you and wait for the right moment. I personally would not take the risk.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can find some really pretty CZ''s nowadays. That''s what I wear on vaca. For me, it doesn''t matter that my stuff is insured, I get emotionally attatched to my jewelry, and you can never get the exact same thing again. But that''s just me.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going to be a little harsh, forgive me. It''s soooooooooo, not worth it. Leave it at home. Even if you have insurance, I say leave it at home. You don''t want anything calling attention to yourself and your money. I''d wear just a band. My mother''s friend and her husband were robbed by a cab driver in Mexico. He took her jewelry, her purse, his wallet, her shoes, and his shirt and drove them to the middle of nowhere where they didn''t even have change to call the hotel...had to walk hours in bare feet and they didn''t know where they were. She still has nightmares about it.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2006 6:15:08 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I'm going to be a little harsh, forgive me. It's soooooooooo, not worth it. Leave it at home. Even if you have insurance, I say leave it at home. You don't want anything calling attention to yourself and your money. I'd wear just a band. My mother's friend and her husband were robbed by a cab driver in Mexico. He took her jewelry, her purse, his wallet, her shoes, and his shirt and drove them to the middle of nowhere where they didn't even have change to call the hotel...had to walk hours in bare feet and they didn't know where they were. She still has nightmares about it.

And the "funny" thing is that they should be thankful that's *all* that happenned to them...isn't that crazy?.

I do mean you hear horror stories because someone wanted your shoes, your car, etc. Don't call attention to yourself, it's just not worth it.....getting a fake is not worth it either (IMO), as they really can't tell the difference and you don't want to ruin your vacation or much worse.

I do believe it is always better to be cautious. It doesn't stop me from travelling though, but better to be safe than sorry.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I just went to Canada. When I think scary unsafe place, I don''t think Canada. And we went to a very upscale nice resort town and stayed in a nice upscale resort. I left my diamonds at home and wore my plain 3mm band with no stones. Why? Because I''m paranoid and have a fear that theifs TARGET tourists. In fact, I think the nicer hotels are probably more prone to this than the less expensive ones. Because theifs figure that people are not as on guard on vacation and the more upscale will be more likely to have jewlery or expensive watches with them.

I have rethought my response and have gone from an I would not recommed it to an absolute NO I would not take them.

The ONLY place I travel with my jewlery is when I''m going home to visit my family and I stay at their house.

In fact when I moved across country, I made sure to not wear any jewlery in front of the packers and movers because if they saw me wearing it I was afraid they may go through my stuff when they drove off with it.

I agree with others. Fakes still draw attention and someone going to rob you is not going to pull out a loupe to examine that ring when they decide whether to rob you or not.

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I agree with others. Fakes still draw attention and someone going to rob you is not going to pull out a loupe to examine that ring when they decide whether to rob you or not.

I agree with Asscherisme and others who say not to wear a blingy fake. If you are trying not to get robbed then why would you wear a fake that would still draw attention to yourself and possibly put you and/or your family in danger?

When it''s international travel, I think it''s really better to be safe unless you are going somewhere (e.g. South of France) where everyone else''s bling will outrival yours so you are sure to not stand out to thieves. There are too many stories of 1. cutting finger off, 2. kidnap you unawares, etc and these are things that have happened to people we know traveling in Mexico, Italy and Asia.

DL

p.s. FYI, Insurance does cover international loss. At least Jeweler''s Mutual''s policy includes it-- read your policy to make sure of course.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it just depends. There are places I would not wear my ring. I just came back from London and Rome and I did take the ring, but when we were walking around Rome one of days I did leave them in the hotel safe. I was not as uncomfortable as my dh, but he thought, insured or not, if we ran into a bad situation, it would not be worth getting hurt over it. So I think if you are in a nice place and you do not plan to go off the beaten path, it should be fine. Just consider the airports and such, you might be less comfortable walking around...

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
For out of the country, in an area with poverty etc, I would leave it home. But when I travel in the US I usually take it. I don''t know that it is safe at home either b/c someone could break in while I''m away!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Someone breaking in while I''m away is another issue. If you are worried about someone brekaing into your house, you could always get a safe deposit box at the bank. They are not expensive. I was referring more to being worried about my safety and my families saftey when traveling and not being a target for a crime rather than losing my ring. I would give up my jewelery in a HEARTBEAT to not get hurt or my family hurt because I''m wearing what is percieved as pricey jewelry.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, I wouldn''t. My friend and his family were robbed at knifepoint in their hotel room.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been to Cabo twice and felt totally comfortable wearing my ring around our resort and at neighboring resorts' pools and restaurants. Whenever we'd head into town, I'd take it off and leave it in my hotel room safe. If you feel naked with out it, go to Nordies' and get one of those $35 CZ wedding bands.
9.gif

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
I would wear my ring if I was just staying at the resort. But if I''m also going to be venturing out and about, I wouldn''t take it with me, unless I feel comfortable leaving it at the hotel safe. My hubby and I are visiting family in Seattle next week and I am definitely wearing all my good jewelry. Whenever we travel to visit family, I don''t hesitate to wear my jewelry. However, we will be traveling to China and Hong Kong soon and I''m going to just wear my wedding band and my new eternity band. I think it''s understated enough. We will be with a tour group so I feel it''s safe enough to wear a little bling. I wanted to wear my diamond studs, they''re a tad under 1ctw but my husband feels I shouldn''t and that it might attract unwanted attention. This is coming from a guy who can definitely defend himself and me, but like what many others said here, who knows what can happen? I rather be safe than sorry. BTW, have fun in Cabo!!!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I agree with everyone else and think that you definitely shouldn''t wear your ring. I''d get a plain gold/platinum wedding band if I were you for vacations.

Maybe I''m paranoid, but I just keep thinking that some criminal might see your ring, get it in his head that your loaded, look at your son and think, "wow, if they spent this much on a ring, think how much they''d spend to get their son back." I probably just watch too much tv, but you never know and I''d rather be safe than sorry.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2006 8:52:59 AM
Author: robbie3982
I agree with everyone else and think that you definitely shouldn't wear your ring. I'd get a plain gold/platinum wedding band if I were you for vacations.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I just keep thinking that some criminal might see your ring, get it in his head that your loaded, look at your son and think, 'wow, if they spent this much on a ring, think how much they'd spend to get their son back.' I probably just watch too much tv, but you never know and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

After reading all this..its just not worth it. And wearing fakes would just attract as much attention.

I've been wanting a plain platinum band..much like the 2mm signed pieces one that February 2003 bride wears. Maybe now is the time to get it. Besides, on those days when I'm doing hardcore chores around the house, I always take off my ring so it doesn't get banged up or dirty..I can wear the band. You know how often I leave the house without my ring because I put it in my jewelry box so it won't get dirty?

Come to think of it..I've got a lot of sterling jewelry I never wear anymore. I have a cheapie blue topaz ring, that is so simple & I adore it. Its like the "etoile" setting from Tiffany's, but has a 4mm round blue topaz in it. I paid $30 for it and I get a ton of compliments when I do wear it.

If anyone remembers my reset drama, I have my original e-ring solitaire setting, a 2mm, white gold, v-prong affair, that I put a garnet into. I can wear that as well.

Time to dig out all my fun, dangly, long earrings I never wear cuz I love my "rocks".

Thanks everyone! And to the poster who is going to Palmilla--YOU LUCKY DUCK! That place is gorgeous! Watch out for celebs!

Jeannine

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2006 5:52:16 PM
Author: nicolejrx
Good question!
I am going to be going to Cabo on my honeymoon in October. Where are you staying? We are staying at the One and Only Palmilla. I am still debating whether or not I am going to bring my engagement ring. I will definitely be wearing my eternity band and my future hubby is going to wear his too (he is getting 3 1/2 carats of diamonds too). Both of our rings will be insured before we go. I think when we leave the resort, which won''t be often, I will leave our rings in the safe.
Nicole

Off topic, but have fun! I have been to the One and Only in the Bahamas, the Ocean Club, and it was stunning! I agree too if you have doubts and are going to be nervous, leave it at home! Better that than worrying about it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results