shape
carat
color
clarity

S.O.'s supportive of Jewelry/diamond passion?

Does your SO support your jewelry/diamond passion?

• Yes. They help budget, or contribute to jewelry purchases.

Votes: 29 47.5%
  • No. Opposed to jewelry purchases.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Indifferent. They neither support nor oppose. you do what you want with your $$$

Votes: 24 39.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
There seem to be a lot of threads about significant others not being on board with upgrades, etc, so I'm wondering if PSers have more supportive other halves, or non-supportive other halves?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dh wants me to be happy and to that end always encourages my bling (and other) purchases. He is very generous and would never say no to me. Having said that I am very sensible (IMO LOL) and always make reasonable purchases well within our means.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH's motto is "Happy wife, happy life" so he endures all of my eccentricities. We have an unspoken agreement -- he doesn't comment on my jewelry purchases, and I'm silent about his obsession with camping/backpacking paraphernalia (which takes up 3 entire rooms of our house compared to my jewelry collection which occupies two dresser drawers :)) ).

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Extremely supportive. He encourages me to purchase things I'm waffling about because he doesn't want to me regret not getting something. :lol:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Just yesterday my DH declared he loved Cartier. Where (on earth) did that come from?

A happy wife? Good (or should I say smart) man. :D

cheers--Sharon

Q

Queenie60

Sure - my husband wants me to be happy. He knows that I am sensible and think through my purchases. At this stage in our lives, why not?!!! He doesn't mind and of course, I allow him to indulge in his expensive hobbies.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for option #3. :errrr: she wants me to be happy but not with her money... ;(

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband wants me to have things I like so he is supportive of my jewelry habit. He gets even with his watch habit.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Supportive but I supply my own funding. He does purchase jewellery for me from time to time, for special occasions but sticks to very safe items such as high karat gold or will ask for my opinion first to make sure I love it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Supportive but I don't ask for much. I did ask if I could upgrade for our 10 year a month ago and he gave me the blessing. Honestly he will get me whatever I ask for but I'm sensible so I think that is part of the reason why.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I thought about this poll because just this week, I sent my dh at least 2 emails of OECs that I'm eyeing, and instead of shooting me down, he told me to go ahead if it makes me happy. We have been setting a budgeting plantations shutters and bathroom remodel this summer...and instead he told me to go ahead and spend the $$ on what makes me happy??? Unheard of in the real world!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1460605372|4019125 said:
I thought about this poll because just this week, I sent my dh at least 2 emails of OECs that I'm eyeing, and instead of shooting me down, he told me to go ahead if it makes me happy. We have been setting a budgeting plantations shutters and bathroom remodel this summer...and instead he told me to go ahead and spend the $$ on what makes me happy??? Unheard of in the real world!
I sent my wife at least 10 emails for her to buy me a RHR and she just delete them as soon as she received them... ;(

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
None of the options really fit my DH.

He's supportive. He likes buying me jewelry himself too. But we haven't had the budget for big splurges for a while now. That said even when we did, he isn't on board with any upgrades and had has a very sentimental attachment to my center stone on my engagement ring and has asked me never to upgrade OR replace it.

Other than that one restriction though, he doesn't care as long as we have the funds for purchases.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know I just remembered my dh is responsible (at least to some degree) for my jewelry passion! How so? Well I wasn't into jewelry at all before I met him (besides obsessing over my mom's black opal ring and my grandmother's old cut diamond ER) and rarely wore any bling. While we were dating he would buy me jewelry for special occasions and I started enjoying wearing it. He has great taste and I loved every piece of bling he bought me while we were dating. Anyway that really was the beginning of my passion for bling more than anything so I guess one could say he is to blame. :cheeky: And he was the one who found Pricescope for me when I was first looking to reset my ER. So there you go! It's all his fault. :lol:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1460610938|4019145 said:
None of the options really fit my DH.

He's supportive. He likes buying me jewelry himself too. But we haven't had the budget for big splurges for a while now. That said even when we did, he isn't on board with any upgrades and had has a very sentimental attachment to my center stone on my engagement ring and has asked me never to upgrade OR replace it.

Other than that one restriction though, he doesn't care as long as we have the funds for purchases.

My DH is like this as well. We've had other financial priorities more recently, and he doesn't want me to sell my original e-ring even if he's okay with my upgrade. He supports the jewelry passion to the extent that we can afford it. He gives the go-ahead to buy something (we discuss all larger purchases). For a while, he didn't want me to change my original engagement ring, but he's said he'd rather me wear the diamond in a different setting than not wear it at all, so I'm thinking of re-setting into a halo since my upgrade is a solitaire.

Garnetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
My husband is extremely supportive of my jewellery habit. He has given me some beautiful gifts over the years.

If I want a certain piece, he always tells me to get it. However, I don't ask often, as I am mindful of our finances. And I never even desire anything that is too expensive for me.

I often drag my hubby into jewellery stores to look around. He's always been very patient about that. Last weekend we did a lot of looking. I finally said 'I guess that's too much jewellery shopping for you'. He said it's never too much. :))

But I think he was fibbing! :bigsmile:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My husband is very supportive. I bought jewelry for myself while we were dating so he knew what he was getting into. :loopy:

We each have our own spending money to do what we want with. That amount has decreased recently so it's much, much longer between splurges now but I never comment negatively on how he spends his money (RC stuff) and he never comments negatively on how I spend my money (bling/clothes/shoes/bags). If one of starts spending savings or going into debt, we'll have a serious chat!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He is the only one who earns a paycheck, and he is very generous. He doesn't care, if I ask he says just get whatever I want (within reason of course). I think he is sometimes surprised when I tell him how much jewelry can cost (esp branded pieces like Tiffany) but he wants me to be happy.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
My DH has to be supportive of jewelry purchases because he's the person that bought my first nice piece. :lol: :lol: :lol:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Supportive as well. As the budget allows he is happy to indulge me.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No SO to boss me about how I spend my hard earned money, and long may that continue!

DK :bigsmile:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH and I have a joint account (where we deposit almost all of our paychecks), and our own separate accounts to fund our hobbies. He laughs at my jewelry passion, but is happy that I'm happy. Also no skin off his back since it isn't "his" money I'm spending :)

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I'm one of the minority. My husband is not very supportive of *major* jewelry purchases. We are now of an age where we need to be serious about retirement. Anything over say $500 is major. An occasional $1500 is carefully negotiated. But nothing beyond that. Nothing below $200 is questioned. I don't have a job though. He feels like I should remain happy with what I have. I feel the need for change sometimes. If I could barter and trade, that would be great but in the real world that doesn't work so well. I like what I have, but wouldn't mind a few more everyday pieces. I don't think I'll ever have them.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra|1460988820|4020772 said:
He feels like I should remain happy with what I have.

Oh, dump him and marry me.
I'm rich and I'll give you everything you can set your pretty eyes on.

Anyone else?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1461021199|4020922 said:
lyra|1460988820|4020772 said:
He feels like I should remain happy with what I have.

Oh, dump him and marry me.
I'm rich and I'll give you everything you can set your pretty eyes on.

Anyone else?

You're right. That was a stupid statement. I have trouble wording things these days. I'm happy with what I have, definitely. I want more, plain and simple. Truth of the matter is that it's not going to happen and I need to get over it and not feel like my life is over. ;))

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH likes how excited I get about my diamond projects, the research, finding and working with a vendor, and receiving the final product. Other than the e-ring diamomd (frozen piss the yellow one) and a couple other items, the majority of the purchases come out of my own pocket. He always offers to buy the pieces for me, but I usually decline. I always talk each purchase through with him (he's my sounding board) and ask for his blessing as a courtesy. He knows that I'm the super control freak so I wouldn't be considering a purchase unless our finances are in order. It irked me that he asked me once, why I was buying another piece of diamond jewelry when I don't wear any of my existing jewelry, so every time he offers to buy the piece as a present, I tell him, if I pay for it, you can't comment on how I'm not wearing it :naughty: . Yeah, I can't let that one go, even though he only said it once :lol: :lol: . I did let him pay for the cartier love bracelet because it's always on my wrist :lol: I used to joke that he's a lucky man because I buy my own bling, but that hurt his feelings, so I backed off with that one.

He's been cute lately. He knows that when the bling project ends, I get sad because I miss the thrill of the hunt, so he actually suggests finding a new bling project to do now and offers to fund it :shock: . It's just so funny to me because the more independent I am the more he offers to treat me. :lol:

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1461037168|4021013 said:
DH likes how excited I get about my diamond projects, the research, finding and working with a vendor, and receiving the final product. Other than the e-ring diamomd (frozen piss the yellow one) and a couple other items, the majority of the purchases come out of my own pocket. He always offers to buy the pieces for me, but I usually decline. I always talk each purchase through with him (he's my sounding board) and ask for his blessing as a courtesy. He knows that I'm the super control freak so I wouldn't be considering a purchase unless our finances are in order. It irked me that he asked me once, why I was buying another piece of diamond jewelry when I don't wear any of my existing jewelry, so every time he offers to buy the piece as a present, I tell him, if I pay for it, you can't comment on how I'm not wearing it :naughty: . Yeah, I can't let that one go, even though he only said it once :lol: :lol: . I did let him pay for the cartier love bracelet because it's always on my wrist :lol: I used to joke that he's a lucky man because I buy my own bling, but that hurt his feelings, so I backed off with that one.

He's been cute lately. He knows that when the bling project ends, I get sad because I miss the thrill of the hunt, so he actually suggests finding a new bling project to do now and offers to fund it :shock: . It's just so funny to me because the more independent I am the more he offers to treat me. :lol:

PB, AGAIN, you pretty much said what I was gonna say, minus the "frozen piss the yellow one", which I do not possess. I select and pay for most of my jewelry but always discuss with DH ahead of time, but DH knows it's more of a courtesy because if I REALLY have my mind on something, I'm gonna get it one way or another. DH trusts my judgement because he knows I'm not an over spender and a total value shopper. DH doesn't try to buy diamond pieces because he knows he will never find exactly what I'm looking for, at the price that I am willing to pay. DH also knows that I LOVE having a bling project and knows I love the "thrill of the hunt", and does not want to take that fun away from me. He will go with me to try on branded pieces that does not require "work", and if it happens to fall on a birthday, anniversary, or major holiday, he'll pay for it. That said, he did pay for my 10 year upgrade, in the form of a money transfer to my account after the project completed. Super romantic! :D

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't think it was a stupid statement at all Lyra.
We know your DH isn't the devil for prioritising other needs over your jewellery-related wants... And we know you aren't wrong for wanting more jewellery to enjoy! Sometimes the brain and the heart disagree, sometimes two people's brains and hearts disagree, and neither person is in the wrong... Goodness knows not everyone's SOs will (or should!) jump over the moon to enable new projects ::)

Mine doesn't - he is neither supportive nor unsupportive. He doesn't object to my hobby as long as I'm not dipping into funds slated for other things, but he isn't going to talk about new projects, offer his opinions unless explicitly asked (and usually not even then)... It's mostly an "I'm happy that you're happy, but why on earth couldn't you have picked basket weaving" sort of thing.

I do see his point. When I look at something that's $1000 and think "that's a great price", and then have to stop myself and remember exactly HOW MUCH $1000 really is, in the real world, outside DiamondLand. It's not so much that it shifts one's perspective... I'm still going to comparison shop between this dishwasher and that dishwasher, for example; it's more viscerally acknowledging that a "good deal" in the world of diamonds can still be an awful lot of money by any objective metric!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1461079184|4021135 said:
When I look at something that's $1000 and think "that's a great price", and then have to stop myself and remember exactly HOW MUCH $1000 really is, in the real world, outside DiamondLand. It's not so much that it shifts one's perspective... I'm still going to comparison shop between this dishwasher and that dishwasher, for example; it's more viscerally acknowledging that a "good deal" in the world of diamonds can still be an awful lot of money by any objective metric!

This is true. I lost perspective since finding PS.

My DS is "resigned", and having discovered that it makes me happy, he is "supportive". But does he buy me bling on his own. No, primarily b/c he is pretty sure I will return it and pick something else. That's ok with me. Next time I will give him a short list. :lol:

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
My DH is very supportive, he attends GTGs, looks at jewelry, and even makes comments about our friends' jewelry sets (nice of course) and loves to "show off" his jewelry knowledge to them.

We don't consider it his money or my money, it's OUR money. As long as it doesn't hurt our bottom line he is ok with it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results