shape
carat
color
clarity

Run windows update on your windows computers as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are running 2000, xp or vista.
MS has released a major patch that fixes a bad bug in the core tcp/ip stack.

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
my PC shut down and restarted last night saying an important update ocurred. . . I wonder if my automatic updates did it for me?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 9:36:40 AM
Author: ringabling
my PC shut down and restarted last night saying an important update ocurred. . . I wonder if my automatic updates did it for me?
yes

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
sweet, thanks!
1.gif

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 12:09:26 AM
Author:strmrdr
If you are running 2000, xp or vista.
MS has released a major patch that fixes a bad bug in the core tcp/ip stack.
People, if you are not running the automatic updates function on your Windows PC, turn the option on. Now.
4.gif

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
Eeks, I have automatic updates enabled and it still didn''t automatically update. Good thing you told us to manually do so!

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 5:37:23 PM
Author: misysu2
Eeks, I have automatic updates enabled and it still didn''t automatically update. Good thing you told us to manually do so!
You can customize the update function so that it either 1. asks before it downloads updates or installs them, or 2. downloads updates, but asks before it installs (this is the option I use). It won''t update if it is 1. off, 2. hibernating, 3. off at the time you''ve asked it to download updates (you can set the time you want it to install updates). If these conditions aren''t met, you may miss your updates, as the computer is a machine, not a pleasant human being.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep automatic update is not 100% reliable.
For most users having it on is a good thing but for someone who goes beyond the basics into something like heavy duty image or video editing they need to be applied with a little more caution, doing some research before applying.

In this case even if something might break and other than some bittorrent clients nothing has been reported so far the update has too be done.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 5:53:43 PM
Author: Julianna

You can customize the update function so that it either 1. asks before it downloads updates or installs them, or 2. downloads updates, but asks before it installs (this is the option I use). It won''t update if it is 1. off, 2. hibernating, 3. off at the time you''ve asked it to download updates (you can set the time you want it to install updates). If these conditions aren''t met, you may miss your updates, as the computer is a machine, not a pleasant human being.
me 2, but there is another reason and its a big one, if the MS site or the Internet connection is running slow or down it will try a few times then wait until the next set time to try again.
MS windows update site has been dog slow since this update came out and in some areas was unavailable. (they separate by region which servers you are sent too the US servers were mostly ok but some of the others had issues).
Also a lot of isp''s run maintenance in the middle of the night which is the default time for windows to get the updates so a connection may not be available at that time.

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 6:13:55 PM
Author: strmrdr
me 2, but there is another reason and its a big one, if the MS site or the Internet connection is running slow or down it will try a few times then wait until the next set time to try again.
MS windows update site has been dog slow since this update came out and in some areas was unavailable. (they separate by region which servers you are sent too the US servers were mostly ok but some of the others had issues).
Also a lot of isp''s run maintenance in the middle of the night which is the default time for windows to get the updates so a connection may not be available at that time.
Hey I didn''t even know about this complication! Like it wasn''t challenging enough to keep everything humming along the way I like it. Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results