shape
carat
color
clarity

RIP Phillip Seymour Hoffman

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not saying addiction is not a disease. That's a fact we can agree on. I would not ever compare it to cancer however. Addiction is psychological and physiological whereas cancer is primarily physiological. And while I am not blaming PSH he had the power to control his addiction for 20 some odd years so at least that shows he was able to have some control over his addiction.

nkarma said:
Unfortunately, it's not as simple as your bolded part. Addiction is a disease. Do you say the same things to your friends who die from cancer, heart disease, AIDs, or any other disease etc...? That if they found enough happiness inside they would be cured.

I also think you are doing a disservice to PSH and any addict that dies from their disease. He wasn't strong enough....how do you know how strong he was? Given that you have seen your friend go through this and how "strong" of a support system she provides to her son who continues to relapse, it's clear that there isn't a support system strong enough that can combat this disease.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1391708350|3609300 said:
I'm not saying addiction is not a disease. That's a fact we can agree on. I would not ever compare it to cancer however. Addiction is psychological and physiological whereas cancer is primarily physiological. And while I am not blaming PSH he had the power to control his addiction for 20 some odd years so at least that shows he was able to have some control over his addiction.

nkarma said:
Unfortunately, it's not as simple as your bolded part. Addiction is a disease. Do you say the same things to your friends who die from cancer, heart disease, AIDs, or any other disease etc...? That if they found enough happiness inside they would be cured.

I also think you are doing a disservice to PSH and any addict that dies from their disease. He wasn't strong enough....how do you know how strong he was? Given that you have seen your friend go through this and how "strong" of a support system she provides to her son who continues to relapse, it's clear that there isn't a support system strong enough that can combat this disease.
You can't control or cure cancer. You can't control or cure addiction. They are both ongoing diseases that the person is ALWAYS at risk for getting again until they die. That's why a cancer patient goes through continued screenings and treatment for the rest of their life. Same with addicts.

This is part of the problem with society's views on mental health. You don't SEE it, so therefore, it must not really exist.

Psychological issues can be physiologically based. Your brain and your body are NOT disconnected. Everything is interconnected. Your brain is connected to your heart, your heart to your lungs, your lungs to your toe nails.

Addiction, depression, anxiety, etc - they only stop existing when the body dies. Same goes for any physical problem. You can't "cure" mental health issues by "trying to be happy" or "through control".

Did you know that one of the causes (and I use that term loosely) there are eating disorders is the persons need to have control over something in their lives? People can die from eating disorders. Imagine your brain telling you that food is bad. That you shouldn't eat. Even though you need to nourish your body. Imagine getting to a point where your body REJECTS food because you've restricted yourself for so long. How, exactly, do you tell someone whose very addiction is to restrict themselves and NOT EAT that eating is ok? Every day they are faced with eating and food. The only "good" thing about being addicted to heroin or alcohol is that you aren't forced to confront it multiple times every single day. Those kinds of addicts have to seek out their addiction. Addicts are addicts are addicts. Their need to feed that addiction is a battle they deal with every minute of every day, EVEN if they know it's detrimental to their health. Even though they know it could kill them.

There isn't separation between psychological and physiological. You can't cut off the head and expect the body to thrive.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is also important to understand that addiction is a progressive disease. Even in recovery, the urges, craving, and obsession can continue. When people relapse they don't start back up where they left off. Their addiction has progressed and usually so have the consequences (legally, socially, physically, financially, and emotionally). PSH is a good example of that. The article I read said after 22 years of sobriety he had one drink to celebrate. That "woke up" his disease and led him back to his drug of addiction. I think for me that is the scariest part of the disease.

When I said I have hope people can find happiness I do not underestimate or minimize the fact that it is not always possible and is not their fault. It is not lack of desire, treatment, support. Life is not fair.

ETA: As part of my graduate studies I have to do an abstinence project twice. This is where I had to journal for 2 weeks about my use (set a baseline), journal the 2 weeks I was abstinent, and 2 weeks after that time period was over. The first time I gave up chocolate and it was a very interesting experiencing. I had withdrawals, craving, obsessive thoughts, anger, I was pissed! The second time I decided to give up a behavior (process addiction) and gave up talking on the phone while driving. Both experiences gave me more empathy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very empathetic for anyone going through drug addiction or any other addiction for that matter or dealing with a loved one going through it.

Tacori E-ring said:
I think it is also important to understand that addiction is a progressive disease. Even in recovery, the urges, craving, and obsession can continue. When people relapse they don't start back up where they left off. Their addiction has progressed and usually so have the consequences (legally, socially, physically, financially, and emotionally). PSH is a good example of that. The article I read said after 22 years of sobriety he had one drink to celebrate. That "woke up" his disease and led him back to his drug of addiction. I think for me that is the scariest part of the disease.

When I said I have hope people can find happiness I do not underestimate or minimize the fact that it is not always possible and is not their fault. It is not lack of desire, treatment, support. Life is not fair.

ETA: As part of my graduate studies I have to do an abstinence project twice. This is where I had to journal for 2 weeks about my use (set a baseline), journal the 2 weeks I was abstinent, and 2 weeks after that time period was over. The first time I gave up chocolate and it was a very interesting experiencing. I had withdrawals, craving, obsessive thoughts, anger, I was pissed! The second time I decided to give up a behavior (process addiction) and gave up talking on the phone while driving. Both experiences gave me more empathy.

I agree that is horrible. After all that work and energy that he put into beating his addiction he had that one drink that led to his fatal relapse. I think if one has an addiction it is best to try and avoid that trigger at all costs. Period. Again, not blaming him but it was a choice he made to take that drink after all that time being abstinent. Life is a series of choices good and bad and while addiction is not a choice one could perhaps argue that addicts make choices that lead to their addiction and once that is triggered it is very difficult to turn back.

Having said that I do not blame PSH for his death and just wish he was able to beat the disease and wish that for everyone struggling with whatever they are struggling with. Life is unfair and not easy and most of us are dealing with demons of some kind. Fortunately for most of us those demons don't end up ending our lives but sadly it does for so many others.

I found this article to be very interesting. Perhaps it holds hope for those dealing with heroin addiction and maybe other addictions.
http://www.jneurosci.org/content/33/49/19384.short?sid=5ea4d590-6298-45c2-9f99-b491d1f67ac7

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
I am very sorry he lost his life, but he made the choice to go down the drug/alcohol path of his own accord did he not? I feel it important to mention this so young people do not get the idea it is all right to mimic these behaviors of celebrities they admire.
If you do not start using substances you will not become addicted an important thing for all to know. Still a sad thing that he lost his life.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks, justginger.
and I agree with him.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results