carat
color
clarity

Relationship question

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1435175522|3893708 said:
Distracts-me too! I just don't get it! If you wouldn't tolerate your spouse treating you like that, and you certainly wouldn't stand for your kids to be treated that way, why in the world is it ok for someone else?

I think a lot of people would rather discomfort themselves than possibly discomfort someone else - which in many instances is admirable, but where toxic relationships are concerned is not. Like I think it's a wrong understanding of social obligation, basically. Either that or they just don't value mental health very much. I don't know. I've never been able to just stand by and act like everything is okay when I see these things happening - I have to speak up or remove myself from the situation entirely.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel like your family member who is being abused may benefit from professional therapy. He needs a safe place to explore his feelings and come to his own realizations about what's happening. Through therapy he may discover that there is no shame in leaving the relationship.

BTW, I completely agree with building boundaries around toxic people in our lives.

Anne

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
The spouse moved out and divorce is in the works. Thank GAWD.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Oh packrat I'm pleased to hear that, I really felt for that guy.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that is so great packrat, thanks for the update!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1446510112|3944951 said:
The spouse moved out and divorce is in the works. Thank GAWD.

Great! Sometimes people have to live with cr@p for a while before they figure out they don't want to live the rest of
their life like that. Change is hard, the unknown is scary. Glad the individual was finally able to work things out for him/herself.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic news, Packrat! The first step for him towards a new relationship and maybe even a family of his own. thank God they don't have kids. Should make the divorce and moving on much easier.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results