shape
carat
color
clarity

regarding charleston, sc??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laurel_aurelia

Shiny_Rock
we live right outside of DC.
I want to move to charleston in about five years.
for what we just paid for our hoopdie 25 year old townhouse, we can get a 4 br house in charleston!

and it''s historic, beautiful, near the water, etc. i am taking him there this summer. he''s already looking at houses there and likes the FINANCIAL concept of it.
So, my question is -- can anyone give me things i can randomly use to "sweeten the deal" in conversation?

i.e., i''m cooking dinner.. "wow, you know what restaurant has GREAT seafood? _____ in CHARLESTON SOUTH CAROLINA."

you get the point. ;-)

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2006 2:23:17 PM
Author:laurel_aurelia
we live right outside of DC.
I want to move to charleston in about five years.
for what we just paid for our hoopdie 25 year old townhouse, we can get a 4 br house in charleston!

and it''s historic, beautiful, near the water, etc. i am taking him there this summer. he''s already looking at houses there and likes the FINANCIAL concept of it.
So, my question is -- can anyone give me things i can randomly use to ''sweeten the deal'' in conversation?

i.e., i''m cooking dinner.. ''wow, you know what restaurant has GREAT seafood? _____ in CHARLESTON SOUTH CAROLINA.''

you get the point. ;-)
I live in Arlington, VA but my parents live in Charleston. They love it there, and I can ask them for recommendations of Chas'' highlights. I think XChick is from there. I''m sure she has good suggestions.
9.gif

Angela1977

Shiny_Rock
OMG, there''s too much to even mention.
There''s an amazing southern cooking restaurant called Jestine''s. It''s fairly famous, been in Southern Living several times. It''s amazing. There are just too many seafood restaurants to even speak of...I couldn''t even begin. Basically pull up a map of downtown and you''ll be fine. The Vendue rooftop bar is awesome, so is the one on top of the Market Pavillion Hotel right beside the market downtown. The Meritage is a FABULOUS tapas bar...unreal. Great atmosphere too. Um, there''s a great seafood restaurant out at Folly beach call the Folly hideaway...great views and food. Very laid back atmosphere...can be touristy, but still nice.
The shopping on King St. is awesome...he might not be a shopper, but there''s some cool stuff down there. Taking a walk along the battery at night...nothing can beat that.
Just watch out for the humidity!!!! AAAAH! On some days, it''s just not even worth it to go outside...it''s the most stifling thing I''ve ever felt, and I''ve lived in the south all of my life. I know high heat indices, but nothing like I''ve ever felt in downtown Charleston...

laurel_aurelia

Shiny_Rock
can i ask your first name? i know someone who is also in arlington with parents in charleston...

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2006 2:59:11 PM
Author: laurel_aurelia
can i ask your first name? i know someone who is also in arlington with parents in charleston...
It''s Kerri. Do we know each other??

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
I''m from South Carolina, but from the Charlotte, NC area. Charleston has many fun places to visit as well, old plantations, old slave market, etc. I adore the old homes there. It''s a romantic city with lots of history to it.

Angela: LOL trust me Charleston is SUPER tolerable once you''ve lived in Louisiana!! (Baton Rouge area still not so bad...New Orleans a whole different story!)

A drawback to Charleston, SC is that hurricanes have been known to hit there (think Hugo 17 years ago?) anyway sorry, I''m overly cautious about those now thanks to Katrina.
20.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Laurel.
I have lived in Charleston for the past 34 years. There are many fine resturants in the area. More than I care to count. Just about all of them do seafood. Many in the downtown area ( south of calhoun st ) are of very high quality. (3 to 4 stars) There are also many hole in the wall places that can be even better though.
If you love being around the water and boating this is heaven. Shrimp, crabs redfish seatrout and flounder inhabit the inshore waters. Offshore wahoo, tuna,dolphin (the fish) along with others can be caught trolling. Grouper, snapper,seabass,triggerfish and many others can be caught for dinner. Now that is what I call fresh,
The people are for the most part very polite. There is just a slower pace of life around here.
Hope this helps. Regards CMW
Ps As far as the history that goes with out needing to be said.

Angela1977

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/25/2006 4:21:21 PM
Author: Princess V
I''m from South Carolina, but from the Charlotte, NC area. Charleston has many fun places to visit as well, old plantations, old slave market, etc. I adore the old homes there. It''s a romantic city with lots of history to it.

Angela: LOL trust me Charleston is SUPER tolerable once you''ve lived in Louisiana!! (Baton Rouge area still not so bad...New Orleans a whole different story!)

A drawback to Charleston, SC is that hurricanes have been known to hit there (think Hugo 17 years ago?) anyway sorry, I''m overly cautious about those now thanks to Katrina.
20.gif
Man, if New Orleans is worse, I''m NEVER going between June and September
9.gif
. I''ve never been more miserable in my life! Most times it''s ok...it''s just those occasional days where you walk outside, you''re immediately drenched, and you come in take a shower and nap...then repeat the process. I couldn''t stand it.
14.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am originally from SC and we love Charleston! As a matter of fact, we go to the beach about 3-4 times a year at Wild Dunes on Isle of Palms just outside Charleston. There is good seafood everywhere down there, so we rarely go to downtown Charleston to eat. But it is a great city to visit for sure. The cost of housing is higher than other similar sized cities in the Carolinas, though. DC must really be high if Charleston seems low priced to you!

saturn

Shiny_Rock
I''ll be moving to Charleston in the next few months, just as soon as I find a job!

My one complaint is that every time FI comes to visit me here in Georgia, he smells icky - it''s not his usual smell, it''s Charleston... even he can smell it! He always has to take a shower right away, to wash the smell away.

The best restaurant I''ve eaten at in Charleston is the Hominy Grill. Their chocolate pudding is sooo good.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2006 4:06:49 PM
Author: saturn
I''ll be moving to Charleston in the next few months, just as soon as I find a job!

My one complaint is that every time FI comes to visit me here in Georgia, he smells icky - it''s not his usual smell, it''s Charleston... even he can smell it! He always has to take a shower right away, to wash the smell away.

It might be the paper plant! My parents live on Daniel Island, which is nearby, and sometimes you can get a whiff
14.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
That smell comes from a paper mill in North Charleston. It is a seperate city about ten miles from downtown Charleston.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results