shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendations for jewelry pliers?

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering about this but wasn't sure where to ask - I would like to buy a pair of jewelry pliers to help me tighten up some prongs on some of my more inexpensive jewelry items. Is there anything specific or a certain type/brand I should look for? I honestly have no idea- but I have a few sterling pieces that have loose gems - they're not worth much, and it wouldn't matter if I messed them up. I thought it would be fun to try to tighten up the prongs on a couple of the pieces so that I could wear them again and wouldn't have to worry about gems falling out.

So...long story long (sorry!) - if anyone has any recs for something that would work for my complete beginner's hands, I would appreciate any help. I apologize if this seems like a stupid question...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Kenny!

I am actually a complete and utter beginner. I might like to set some of my own studs in silver (I have some cheap but pretty garnet pairs, about 3-4 or so), and it would be fun to try setting them in simple prong settings. Not the snaptite settings but actual prongs that have to be folded over. I guess my ultimate goal would be able to accomplish something like this, just by practicing at home and watching YouTube videos. Does that sound nuts? That's really what I'd like jewelry pliers for - to try setting simple prong style earrings and to fix some loose prongs on pieces I already have.

I wouldn't try it on any of my expensive gems, for sure.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to put a call out to Circe and/or Lady Disdain. I'm sure either of them could give you solid info.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry, I just saw this now. Let's see if I can help.

Are you planning on using the better pre notched settings or doing everything (notching, setting, trimming and finishing the prongs)?

By step, you will need:

Notching: either a rotary tool (dremel, flexshaft, etc) and bits or a set of files (hey, stones were set before modern power tools). You will also need a sliding gauge for measuring (digital ones are cheap and so much easier to use) to mark the prongs.

Setting: there are tons of pliers out there, including prong closing pliers. At a minimum, you will need a clamp to hold the earring for setting, a pair of chain nose pliers and parallel pliers, as well as a prong pusher.

Trimming and finishing: you may need to cut down the extra length and you will certainly need to finish it. A set of fine files and some finishing papers (or the lovely silicon discs).

I am sure I have forgotten stuff and I am also pretty sure that I am over complicating this for you! Do you have a link to the type of setting you plan on using?

katharath

Ideal_Rock
LD, thank you SO much for your reply! It is much appreciated.

I am planning on the pre notched settings as this is all new to me, and I want to keep it as simple as possible. I do have a couple of links saved on my computer for the settings I was looking at - I will post them tomorrow (I'm on my phone posting before going to sleep, lol) - so if you have the time to check back and perhaps have any further comments to add, I would be very grateful :)

Eventually I'd like to be able to perhaps set some of my nicer gems in 14k pre notched settings, but I want to start out by practicing with very inexpensive gems and sterling. I have a few pairs of inexpensive 4 mm garnet studs to practice with.

Thank you again for your suggestions!!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just started a jewelry making class and a classmate got a set from Michaels, regularly $28 and she had a 1/2 off coupon. The teacher said it was the right tool set (I think everything mentioned above), but could leave marks on the wires so great for a beginner but if you want to have finished pieces to sell she recommended upgrading to a better toolset.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results