shape
carat
color
clarity

Raising Creative Kids

iLander

Ideal_Rock
This bubbled up in my head the other day, and I thought I'd write this up in hopes of helping other moms with creative kids.

I think I'm kind of qualified for this because DH is professional artist, DS has a degree in Fine Arts (which he doesn't actually use) , and DD is also pursuing an art degree. We are about as artsty a family as you can reasonably get.

To raise a creative kid you need two main ingredients; supplies and boredom. A bored art kid will fill their time creating things, and to do that they need supplies, lots of them. To make them bored, you limit TV, or video games, or soccer, or whatever threatens to eat up all their bored time. Make sure they are looking for stuff to do. When they whine, you shove them toward their supplies.

For supplies, by age:

2-6: Crayons! The faboo 64 pack! Every Christmas a new one!! :D Love those. Giant newsprint pads, colored paper, safety scissors, tape, glitter glue, buttons, macaroni, food coloring, sketch books, old magazines, Play Dough!!, clay, etc.

6-8: Add low heat glue gun, and trash. Trash like egg cartons, lids, jars, cans, milk jugs, sponges, flowers, broken toys, parts of your old cell phone (sans battery), all kinds of things that can be randomly glued together.

8-10: Add sewing! Needles (they tend to only prick themselves once or twice before they get the handle on it), thread, fabric, felt, stuffing material.

10 and up: Add soldering! And hot glue! Sounds scary, but when they get the hang of soldering together screws and nails, and can lids, all kinds of weird stuff comes out. Paint and watercolor. Canvases, canvas boards, charcoal, grey and beige paper, white pencils, kneaded erasures, embroidery threads, pom poms. Hammers, nails, and multipacks of wood bits. Encourage the use of a small, bound sketchbook as a diary, where sketches, magazine pics, etc., can be kept. Kind of like pinterest but in real life.

Try to limit "art kits" that produce only one outcome. A "make a wallet kit" is not as creative as a bag of leather scraps and a tooling kit. But they are good Christmas gifts, so a few kits are fun to use in addition to the supplies.

Once a year, Dick Blick has a big sale of art supplies, and they have "classroom kits" of oddments (leather pieces, beads, feathers). I load up and get a lot of stuff (lots of canvases!) for about $200. I brought the stuff out of the closet as the year went on, and new goodies were created. My house is chock a block full of kid creations, but it's totally worth it.

I wrote this because when I was a kid, I only had ruled notebook paper and pencils. It was a real bummer for someone that liked to draw and would have loved to paint. But I never had the chance! DH's mom bought him a drawing table (available at Blick) and our kids had them as well. DH's mom gave him supplies, and he used them wisely. :bigsmile:

If you know a kid, and you need to buy them a present, consider an assortment of supplies. You never know what you might start. ;))

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool lists!

That is the sort of things I put together for neighbor kids or cousins. We're doing similar sorts of stuff for "A" as she loves art. Trying to get her to balance art & fun with learning math/science in school. Encouraging her to work towards a degree that allows her to use her art skills in a field that will pay her well!

She still hasn't gotten bored enough to break out of her usual favorite stuff, but we're working on it!
(Oh... and DH and I are NOT artsy in the slightest but still want to encourage her and provide all the stuff an artsy person would enjoy :)) )

Oh!!
She does LOVE her mini white board I got for her room. It is something like 5x8 inches. She was thrilled with it and the one mini-dry-erase it came with (black) so I got her a 12-pack of ultra fine dry erase (12 different colors!) and she's been doing all sorts of stuff with that.

ETA: Craft stores and sewing stores have GREAT odds/ends sections! I'm able to get all sorts of random bits of fabric, yarn, ribbon, feathers, etc for cheap because there were only little bits left.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
We've always had lots of art supplies around the house because I'm artsy/craftsy and I wanted my children to enjoy it too. We have always had paint (oil-based and water colors), an easel, crayons, colored pencils, oil pastels (which can be messy, but fun), glitter, glue, pompoms, felt, pipe cleaners, play doh, molding clay, construction paper, giant art pads, etc. We sometimes do specific projects like sock puppets, pompom critters, etc. We also have lots of sidewalk chalk for spring/summer art fun outside. These days, fostering creative kids can be a difficult process in a world of non-creativity (pre-made things, video games/electronics, automated toys, etc.).

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also really encourage creative writing too. My daughter is 8 and loves art. Past couple of summers we sent her to writing camps and now she writing short stories on her own and illustrating them and doing cartoon work which combines drawing and writing. I'm. It sure how to encourage it since she does it in her own. Hmmm...

NewShiny

Shiny_Rock
I love this! Thank you! I've been meaning to create an "art corner" in my son's playroom, and even have the Ikea drawers ready to go. Thanks for posting the motivation to get it up and running so he can create whenever he wants to.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom|1398433442|3659807 said:
I would also really encourage creative writing too. My daughter is 8 and loves art. Past couple of summers we sent her to writing camps and now she writing short stories on her own and illustrating them and doing cartoon work which combines drawing and writing. I'm. It sure how to encourage it since she does it in her own. Hmmm...

My daughter has been writing and illustrating her own books since she learned how to write. It's so adorable and it's neat to see how her writing/drawing has evolved over the years:)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a nice post. I guess I assume that all kids have access to these sorts of things, but maybe they don't. We've always given art supplies or those little drawing tables/easels for little kids' birthdays. Our other go-to gift is a drum kit. No, really. :lol:

We gave our 23 month old daughter a pretty awesome easel for Easter. Magnetized chalkboard on one side, dry erase on the other. She's pretty in love with it. Last fall my husband made her a drawing table that is topped with a dry erase surface and she's used that lots for coloring on directly and for when she's coloring paper/pages.

My husband and I are both musical and artsy fartsy craftsy, so our kid probably won't have to be forced into creativity. I watched my neighbor's 5 year old for a week recently and we did some type of craft project every day. I taught her how to sew (large needle, yarn, and felt), we painted canvases, we hot glued felt flowers onto a wreath for my front door, we colored, we sowed peas and spinach and made plant markers for the rows. I'm not a big fan of doing things "by age" because I think that's kind of lazy--do things together, don't just send the kid off to do a project unsupervised. I obviously understand safety and the need for age guidelines, but I was sewing with a "real" needle by the time I was 5-6, cross-stitching, etc. and doing all sorts of grown up stuff because an adult was always there to supervise.

Pinterest is full of fantastic ideas for creative things to make that are geared towards kids. Great resource for inspiration whether you follow a tutorial or just spend 30 seconds looking up "crap to do when kids are bored."

spring2014_022.jpg

soocool

Ideal_Rock
When DD was little many years ago I had a huge storage box filled with basic supplies to create things. We used white paper plates, construction paper, elmers glue, popsicle sticks, old socks, yarn, buttons.

She made paper plate face masks, paper plate puppets, sock puppets, craft stick toys, construction paper mosaics/stained glass designs (she was really into tessellation patterns).

Later it was beads and she would design jewelry at an young age. Later legos, K'nex and I still have her K'nex wind mill that she designed.

Maybe it was all this creativity which led her to study pharmacology. She wants to design pharmaceuticals now to help people.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom|1398433442|3659807 said:

My DD still has all her marble notebooks with all the stories she had written since she was around 5 years old. She is 21 now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results