shape
carat
color
clarity

Racist post on online vendor's FB page really bothers me

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I had a long post written up about the anti-choice picture thread from last year, and decided not to go there: there's nothing to make a thread LESS controversial and painful than abortion, right?

Suffice it to say I took it as insensitive, as a pro-choice lady who'd had a late miscarriage ... who was also relieved to discover the pic wasn't the nightmare I'd thought (baby photoshopped to fetus size, not actual fetus ... as approximately 2% of abortions take place past 20 weeks, images like *those* are misleading and gratuitously triggering to ladies with late-term miscarriages, still births, and merciful abortions in the case of genetic conditions incompatible with life). Metaphorical images, somehow, are much less bad, to me. Probably still more than I should say, but I was so messed up by my experience that I find it impossible to "pass" on when they're mentioned. I also later met the vendor, and found him to be kind and sensitive. I can only assume that his perspective on these issues, as a man, as a conservative, and (this is not knowledge, but supposition) hopefully as somebody who hasn't suffered that particular pain, is somewhat different.

Anyway, back to the point of THIS thread: I sort of feel like one of the problems in these sorts of discussions is how we use the word "racist." I don't tend to think of people as "racists." That implies it's an immutable state. I think our SOCIETY is racist, and that, as a result, we all have that propensity within us. I am sure as heck not excluding myself from this.

But I do think that for a lot of people, hearing that they've done a racist thing sounds a lot like being told they're a racist ... which shuts down discussion, because it's a lot like hearing "you are a fundamentally bad person." That NEVER encourages any kind of progress. I really wish that distinction could be made clearer, across the board.

I think the vendor who posted the photo(s) under discussion is a nice person, who would be *even nicer* if he thought about how, say, black people might read that visual. I just also know that's not our cultural default. Which is why I teach classes on this shiznit, and post long-winded screeds on message boards, and have unnecessarily earnest conversations with friends at night after a carafe or two of wine too many. We have nowhere to go but up, right?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1372972957|3477366 said:
Anyway, back to the point of THIS thread: I sort of feel like one of the problems in these sorts of discussions is how we use the word "racist." I don't tend to think of people as "racists." That implies it's an immutable state. I think our SOCIETY is racist, and that, as a result, we all have that propensity within us. I am sure as heck not excluding myself from this.

But I do think that for a lot of people, hearing that they've done a racist thing sounds a lot like being told they're a racist ... which shuts down discussion, because it's a lot like hearing "you are a fundamentally bad person." That NEVER encourages any kind of progress. I really wish that distinction could be made clearer, across the board.

YES. I was trying to write a post to say basically this, but all I was getting was "I don't think YOU are racist, I just think YOUR ACTIONS are!" which was not making the point clearer. But, like, I think someone can have all the right intentions in the world and still do things that are racist or have racist implications, simply because they are not examining the underpinnings of accepted actions/thoughts. And, like you, I absolutely do not exclude myself from this. That's part of why the "if you're criticizing this, I sure hope you've never said anything racist!" argument is so baffling to me. OF COURSE I've said things stupidly without thinking that were racist - the reason I know is because I was raked over the coals for it, and then I learned. I still make mistakes. But I do my best to learn from them and be mindful of my words and actions on topics I know that I am more prone to make mistakes on, such as anything where my privilege puts me at a disadvantage for understanding.

And, Circe, I always feel ridiculously uneloquent when posting in topics like this that you are also posting in!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1372972957|3477366 said:
I had a long post written up about the anti-choice picture thread from last year, and decided not to go there
...​
Suffice it to say I took it as insensitive, as a pro-choice lady who'd had a late miscarriage ... who was also relieved to discover the pic wasn't the nightmare I'd thought (baby photoshopped to fetus size, not actual fetus
...​
I also later met the vendor, and found him to be kind and sensitive. I can only assume that his perspective on these issues, as a man, as a conservative, and (this is not knowledge, but supposition) hopefully as somebody who hasn't suffered that particular pain, is somewhat different.
...​
I think the vendor who posted the photo(s) under discussion is a nice person, who would be *even nicer* if he thought about how, say, black people might read that visual.

I am not on Facebook, but I am a longtime poster and, like many longtime posters, I am assuming I could play, "Name That Vendor" with some accuracy. I may be wrong, of course, and that gives me some solace, that I don't know for sure who is under discussion, because this is making me very squeamish.

I really wanted to discuss issues, not personalities.

I agree that it is the right of others to know who posted what, but I don't really want to know. I am not here to target individuals so much as to discuss issues that affect society.

Although I found that ad to be racist, I can believe that a good human being who has not-perhaps yet, as Circe said-seen the light about racism posted it. I feel really bad about being part of dragging any individual through the mud.

(If no one brings up Hitler, we'll be good to go here.)

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
distracts said:

Honey, the feeling is mutual - you have been ROCKING IT in the race threads. (And, btw, general statement, I do not know why ForumRunner truncated quotations - for once, that is NOT me editing for brevity.) I do wonder if it's a generational thing, sometimes, except that I know that it can also be regional and dependent on ethnic background (my Russian Jewish parents vs. my BFF's American Jewish parents ... NO COMPARISON when it comes to social justice attitudes). But I do definitely think it's a dichotomy between what you DO and what you ARE, and I'm still trying to figure out how it works.

I've been told I'm not a "real" Jew. And I'm not a "real" feminist. And I'm not a "real" ally to the Black community. The first two, I could shrug off, because ... well, nonsense! Those people don't get to define my identity! The last one stung, because I felt like the speaker had more authority to call it. But like you say, more reason to try harder, not to dig the heels in. That's an impulse I've never quite gotten. I'm assuming it's even harder when it's latent, because then it hits hard at the foundation of being "good," when you think that's an option ....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lula, I guess I get the distinction of what you are saying in your last post, but I guess I just didn't get that in the beginning of the thread. As long as you acknowledge that a person can politically disagree with a person of another race and not be a racist (and not even be looking for potential racial undertones), then I guess we are understanding each other. (I am also not certain about whether the picture was actually posted on the person's FB page or not. I never saw it.)

Circe, your post shows the difference it makes to actually have met and talked to a person in not being so quick to judge someone's motives to be evil. I am absolutely sure we all do this to some extent at one time or another, particularly regarding those at a distance such as politicians, etc. I try hard not to do it even though I do see others do it all the time, because you never know the heart of a person until you really know them.

Deb, I love you and I hope you do not think I am a racist! Several of us just didn't see that because we are NOT racist and that was not on our radar! I thought it was political and never would have gotten the association because I would NEVER, EVER associate that offensive word with our President regardless of how I feel about all his decisons!!!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF said:

AGBF, last post was to distracts, this one is to you (still hating the ForumRunner cut-tags on quotes). Agree very much in maintaining anonymity on these sorta of threads, because while it might spur discussion, or help individuals "in the know" make decisions ... no, I don't think Google picking up on the specifics would be doing anybody any favors, THAT, though, is maybe a thing we should all think about before we post anything in profiles associated with our IRL ids. One reason I never use FB, actually.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am one behind every time! Haaaate the ForumRunner. DS, I actually figured him for not-a-douche after I saw the pic in question from the last thread ... I generally assume an ideological commitment is different from knowing a statement/image will cut others to the bone, UNTIL and UNLESS I know it's been explained. After that, I tend to assume, a) a bad explanation, or, b) an inconsiderate nature. And even then? Nobody involved is a "bad" person. We all just need to try harder.

I tend to reserve the "bad" label for irrevocable actions (murder, rape, child abuse, etc.). If you can't make it better with an apology, "bad," further explanation required. If it's somewhere on the continuum of a misunderstanding ...? Let's resolve it, I say!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1372975033|3477380 said:
Deb, I love you and I hope you do not think I am a racist! Several of us just didn't see that because we are NOT racist and that was not on our radar! I thought it was political and never would have gotten the association because I would NEVER, EVER associate that offensive word with our President regardless of how I feel about all his decisons!!!

Of course I don't think you're a racist! What a thing to say! Just because we disagreed on how to interpret a document? For the love of Pete, we both adopted our daughters from overseas, not caring what race they were going to be! (Well...maybe you only wanted a Chinese child, for all I know, but you have seen me post that that I had had my heart set on a baby from Korea like the son of my next door neighbors, and was heartbroken to find that Korea was "closed" as an adoption source which is why I put in papers to both Colombia and the Dominican Republic.) I'm teasing about "only" wanting a Chinese child, of course. My point is that our initial connection was over our adopted daughters!

Plus, I know you. One doesn't have to meet someone in the flesh to know him. One can know him from other contacts. I love you, too.

Deb
:wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amen on communication to resolve misunderstandings, Circe! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1372976139|3477385 said:
diamondseeker2006|1372975033|3477380 said:

Of course I don't think you're a racist! What a thing to say! Just because we disagreed on how to interpret a document? For the love of Pete, we both adopted our daughters from overseas, not caring what race they were going to be! (Well...maybe you only wanted a Chinese child, for all I know, but you have seen me post that that I had had my heart set on a baby from Korea like the son of my next door neighbors, and was heartbroken to find that Korea was "closed" as an adoption source which is why I put in papers to both Colombia and the Dominican Republic.) I'm teasing about "only" wanting a Chinese child, of course. My point is that our initial connection was over our adopted daughters!

Plus, I know you. One doesn't have to meet someone in the flesh to know him. One can know him from other contacts. I love you, too.

Deb
:wavey:

:wavey: BIG {{{{{HUGS}}}}}, Deb!!! :))

Lula

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1372971876|3477362 said:
Lula|1372971215|3477357 said:
I have purposely not named the vendor because I was hoping we could have a civil discussion about what this photo depicts (or doesn't depict) without the thread turning into a discussion about the particular vendor in question. If others want to name the vendor, that's their choice.

Lula, which vendor is it?
You are not hurting or insulting the vendor by answering, because he/she has already made public his/her views.
In fact you are helping this person spread his/her views, which is clearly what this person wants.
Plus, (s)he clearly fells that publishing controversial views gets them more customers than they lose.

Kenny, I'm happy to e-mail Ella with the name and allow her to share it with you (if she's willing). Just let me know. I said what I needed to say, got to vent a little in the process -- always therapeutic -- and this thread did not get ugly, for which I am very grateful. So I prefer to keep the vendor's name out of the thread -- Circe makes a good point about Google.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lula,

I agree it's definitely racist. Are you planning to address the vendor?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't really care who the vendor is, but if it was on their personal page, not their business page, I don't really see why this would warrant a 5 page thread belaboring personal opinion. If it was on their business page, that's different.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1372989488|3477458 said:
I don't really care who the vendor is, but if it was on their personal page, not their business page, I don't really see why this would warrant a 5 page thread belaboring personal opinion. If it was on their business page, that's different.

And I don't care what impulse makes a person start a thread and don't usually think that a person has to account to me for why he started one.

For my own reasons I am glad Lula started this thread because it addressed what I consider a consider a serious social issue: insidious racism, of which people are unaware, in their humor.

AGBF

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lula|1372986080|3477438 said:
Kenny, I'm happy to e-mail Ella with the name and allow her to share it with you (if she's willing). Just let me know. I said what I needed to say, got to vent a little in the process -- always therapeutic -- and this thread did not get ugly, for which I am very grateful. So I prefer to keep the vendor's name out of the thread -- Circe makes a good point about Google.

Thanks Lula.
Please do, I'd appreciate it.

BTW I created a phony account on that social media site.
I went to the home page of major PS vendors but did not see this pic, or anything about any political groups.

Would I have to 'friend' these people to see what you saw?
I didn't friend anyone, but can see home pages.
Can you please tell me where to look to see what you saw?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It wasn't on the vendors page at all, Kenny. People can see pictures on other pages and click "like"if they choose.

I can email you if you want and then Lula won't have to do it. Okay? Let me see if I can find your email. (Done!)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FB is a strange place.
I don't like it.
There were a zillion settings that were defaulted to whatever was worse for my privacy.
I think I'll delete my account again. :knockout:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After we grilled this afternoon, we went over to a friend's home. Post-dinner, the discussion came to these topics. It got very heated. There were just 4 of us. I was appalled, then, impressed by what people said. And THEN, I asserted my own opinion. Much discussion ensued. It was really the first time I felt I'd been taken seriously in my adult life.

Again, I am so glad that a discussion has been opened here.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1372993910|3477479 said:

And I don't care what impulse makes a person start a thread and don't usually think that a person has to account to me for why he started one.

For my own reasons I am glad Lula started this thread because it addressed what I consider a consider a serious social issue: insidious racism, of which people are unaware, in their humor.

AGBF
The discussion of the image and the implications behind it could've happened just fine without suggesting where it came from, or emailing behind the scenes who posted it, because that info is irrelevant unless the OP deliberately wanted it to come out to cause harm to the business, which I certainly hope is not the case.

I didn't find the image that started the initial topic to be considered humor, and I also didn't see the post on anyone's facebook page, only posted here. I didn't see this particular image as racist necessarily, nor did the OP care if I did, I saw it as ridiculous as a whole and disrespectful to the President in general, and absent of fact, much like a lot about that party's choice of what to put out there. I don't disagree with you about insidious racism, at all, yes it is a problem. I posted about that in the Paula Deen thread.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1372997027|3477490 said:
It wasn't on the vendors page at all, Kenny. People can see pictures on other pages and click "like"if they choose.

I can email you if you want and then Lula won't have to do it. Okay? Let me see if I can find your email. (Done!)

Thanks, DS, for e-mailing Kenny.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1372997173|3477491 said:
FB is a strange place.
I don't like it.
There were a zillion settings that were defaulted to whatever was worse for my privacy.

You are so right about the default settings, Kenny. I'm not sure how many people even check these after they open an account. What many people don't understand is that if you "like" or "share" a post from another person's or organization's page, that post you "liked" or "shared" shows up in every single one of your friends' news feeds. Now, unless you have your friends' pages set to "get notifications" you may not see every single thing they post/like/share in your news feed, which is why I may have seen this particular post and others who are friends with this same person did not see the post.

This is why every time I hit "like" on a vendor's photo of a ring, for example, my sister will comment on my FB page that she likes (or doesn't like) the jewelry in the photo. I didn't deliberately send her the particular photo, but she can "see" what I like on her FB page. But this only works if you have your FB settings set a certain way.

Additionally, if you do not have the privacy settings set really high, your friends (and the public) can see every photo you've ever posted, every site you've ever liked, etc. Again, many people don't know this, or don't care. Many businesses I deal with have open business pages, but have private friends and family pages -- they don't mix the two. Others, like this vendor, have both, and don't seem to care who sees what.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lula - I appreciate your not publishing the vendor's name. I am of the liberal persuasion, and I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent, and I didn't see that poster as being racist. Obviously many people did, and I don't doubt for a minute that's what whoever created it intended - but it's also obvious from this thread that many PSers of all political persuasions did not, so why should we assume the vendor had a racist agenda in sharing it?

Political posters that draw bad parallels etc. aren't exclusive to the right. One of my fb friends likes to share posted that are equally simplistic :rolleyes: or misleading that were published on some of the left-leaning sites. Sometimes I'll chime in with something like "I don't think this tells the whole story..." but often I just ignore them.

Just to throw it out there... my recollection is that the era of the vitriolic anti-presidency began with the Clinton administration. That seemed to be where the opposition party started to see legislation and Presidential appointments as political footballs, and political hacks were willing to assert anything about the president in order to win political points (i.e. character assassination.) I realize Bill Clinton was no saint, but still it seemed like much of the charge that was led against him had more to do with fostering hatred or fear of the man than with the merits (or not) of his policies.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
ame|1373032727|3477599 said:

AGBF
The discussion of the image and the implications behind it could've happened just fine without suggesting where it came from, or emailing behind the scenes who posted it, because that info is irrelevant unless the OP deliberately wanted it to come out to cause harm to the business, which I certainly hope is not the case.

I didn't find the image that started the initial topic to be considered humor, and I also didn't see the post on anyone's facebook page, only posted here. I didn't see this particular image as racist necessarily, nor did the OP care if I did, I saw it as ridiculous as a whole and disrespectful to the President in general, and absent of fact, much like a lot about that party's choice of what to put out there. I don't disagree with you about insidious racism, at all, yes it is a problem. I posted about that in the Paula Deen thread.

I did not disclose the vendor's name, because it's less about the vendor and more about these types of images that have become increasingly common in our social-media-driven culture, and in our divided political climate. I was shocked when I saw this image come through on my FB news feed from this vendor. I never would have guessed that this vendor is so politically conservative. If I had it to do over, I would have posted just the image and not said a word about where it came from. But hindsight is 20-20.

That said, I am very picky about where I spend my money. I do not shop at Walmart, for example, because of their business practices. I do not shop at Hobby Lobby, because they deny their employees birth control coverage. My buying power as a consumer is the only power I have in the marketplace. I do not share this vendor's positions on a variety of issues. So I won't spend my money there. Period. This is the risk vendors take when they mix their personal and professional lives. Of course, the argument can be made that the vendor may receive additional business from people who support his/her views, but, heck, that's the free market at work.

There is another vendor who has a blog with very disturbing animal rights images on it. This troubles me, too, not because I don't support the cause, but because I want my gemstone and diamond-buying experiences to be free of disturbing imagery and political rants. I don't think that's asking for too much. ;))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am changing some things on my on FB page due to this discussion, like eliminating my real last name. I think I have privacy settings set pretty high, but I HATE it that people can see my "likes" because I'd like 10 jewelry related things a day if people couldn't see it, and I hate to let my addiction be known! :lol:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lula|1373036306|3477629 said:
FB is a strange place.
I don't like it.

You are so right about the default settings, Kenny. I'm not sure how many people even check these after they open an account. What many people don't understand is that if you "like" or "share" a post from another person's or organization's page, that post you "liked" or "shared" shows up in every single one of your friends' news feeds. Now, unless you have your friends' pages set to "get notifications" you may not see every single thing they post/like/share in your news feed, which is why I may have seen this particular post and others who are friends with this same person did not see the post.

This is why every time I hit "like" on a vendor's photo of a ring, for example, my sister will comment on my FB page that she likes (or doesn't like) the jewelry in the photo. I didn't deliberately send her the particular photo, but she can "see" what I like on her FB page. But this only works if you have your FB settings set a certain way.

Additionally, if you do not have the privacy settings set really high, your friends (and the public) can see every photo you've ever posted, every site you've ever liked, etc. Again, many people don't know this, or don't care. Many businesses I deal with have open business pages, but have private friends and family pages -- they don't mix the two. Others, like this vendor, have both, and don't seem to care who sees what.

Lula, sorry, to threadjack but how do you change those settings so people don't see your likes? I would like to do that. thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy, I don't think you can stop friends from seeing your "likes". The only way is to ask everyone to go to your FB page and click on things they want to see and leave off likes or whatever. But the majority of your friends aren't going to do it. I hate that one thing about FB. We should be able to control that.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1373037392|3477643 said:
Lula|1373036306|3477629 said:
FB is a strange place.
I don't like it.

Lula, sorry, to threadjack but how do you change those settings so people don't see your likes? I would like to do that. thanks!

Hi, Skippy.
The only way I've found to manage what people see when you "like" or "share" something on Facebook is through the Activity Log.

Facebook's language: "Where do I review who can see or find things I've posted or been tagged in?
Use Activity Log"

How to find the activity log? FB doesn't make it easy, of course. Here's how I do it:
1. Click on the "paddle lock" Icon (security settings) in the toolbar.
2. Click on "Who can see my stuff" in the menu.
3. The third option under "Who can see my stuff" directs you to a live link for the Activity Log.
4. Click on the Activity Log link.
5. After the Activity Log opens, you will be able to see every blooming thing you ever liked, shared, commented on, or recommended. Yes, FB has a record of all your activity going back to the time you were "born" on FB!
6. On the right-hand side of the Activity log, you will see a globe Icon and a pencil Icon. The globe Icon shows who can see that particular activity, e.g., "public." The pencil Icon allows you to hide content from others on your FB page. Use the pencil Icon to hide the items you don't want broadcast to your entire FB network.
7.There are ways to set up "groups" of your FB friends so that you can control who sees what by group; I haven't done that, but if you Google "Setting up groups in Facebook," you should be able to find easy-to-follow instructions. Facebook's instructions are generally pretty awful, in my experience.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lula, doesn't doing that also block the people from seeing what is on your timeline? I thought you couldn't specifically block everyone from seeing "likes", but I will be absolutely thrilled if I can block just that!

I just did it and all it does is allow me to block past likes. It doesn't let me block future ones.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1373032727|3477599 said:

Well, as for your first paragraph, arguing it would be moot since the OP, Lula, wrote since you posted:
"If I had it to do over, I would have posted just the image and not said a word about where it came from. But hindsight is 20-20.".
I'm not about to defend her having mentioned the vendor if she feels she wouldn't do it over again.
As for your second paragraph, I simply disagree with you. As a stated above by me ad nauseum, I see the image as both racist and an attempt at humor.

AGBF

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
And you're free to disagree with me. I am not arguing that point. Nor does there need to be a mention about anything ad nauseum. But the disagreement does not make me racist for not finding it racist. I don't even find it racially insensitive.

And I thank you Lula for addressing my comment.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results