carat
color
clarity

Questions about some neighborhoods in Chicago

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys

My niece is ready to go to university in Chicago - she'll be near an area called University Village that based on my research looks like it's nice and safe.

Problem is, it's expensive...

There's an area right by it called Pilsen with less expensive prices but I see mixed reviews on it - are there any parts of Pilsen that are considered safe?

We were also thinking Hyde Park and Lincoln Park -

but it seems all we find are building management type situations and we were hoping to find rent by owner type situations...any ideas for where we may find some of those or is it really difficult around those areas in Chicago?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1436308012|3900103 said:
Hi guys

My niece is ready to go to university in Chicago - she'll be near an area called University Village that based on my research looks like it's nice and safe.

There's an area right by it called Pilsen with less expensive prices but I see mixed reviews on it - are there any parts of Pilsen that are considered safe?

but it seems all we find are building management type situations and we were hoping to find rent by owner type situations...any ideas for where we may find some of those or is it really difficult around those areas in Chicago?

CJ, I have lived in Chicago for 27 years and been a realtor here for 11 of those so I'm happy to try to help.

I can't tell you whether an area is "safe" or "not safe" though because that is (a) illegal for me to do as a realtor, and (b) impossible to do anyway because there are too many complexities that go into it. Virtually all neighborhoods, including those you mentioned, vary on a street by street basis. The only criminal activity I was ever exposed to directly in Chicago happened in the Gold Coast, which is Chicago's most exclusive neighborhood.

Regarding renting through a management company, can you tell me why you are opposed to that? This is a generality, but management companies typically have personnel on staff that can come and address any problems quickly and you will virtually always be able to get you to some person in an emergency. Individual owners can also be great -- if you get a good one. So again, this experience will vary on a property-to-property basis. If you want to find units for rent by owner though your best bet is Craig's list.

My advice to someone who is new to a city is to live as close as possible to the destination (in this case school) in a larger professionally managed building for at least the first year, and preferably with a door person if possible to add an element of safety. Then, after being here for a year, it's easier to decide what neighborhood's are desirable *to you*, how you feel about the public transportation system (if that's indeed how you get to school), what amenities are important (nearby grocery stores, etc.), and maybe make a move at the end of the first lease once there's a better sense of what's going on.

Sorry if this is vague but I'm extremely hesitant to paint neighborhoods with a broad brush since they are so varied! I don't think you have my email, but someone on here can probably connect us if you want to chat off-line about more specifics or if there's a particular building that might be of interest since I've been in a lot of them over the past 11 years.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ditto what Dee Jay says. She is going to want to live around or near the Hyde Park area if she is going to U. of Chicago. If she lived somewhere like Lincoln Park she would have to commute in and out, which I don't think she would really want to do.

Renting in a larger building the first year will give her a year to feel out the area and see if there is an area/neighborhood she likes better. Again like many cities it is really a neighborhood by neighbhood, or even street by street consideration, and making sure she doesn't have to walk though any bad areas if she is walking to the University.
I'm not a realtor so I can say this. I've had friends go to U. of Chicago. It is surrounded by some high crime areas. Taking public transportation (bus, El) you have to have your wallet zipped up, front pocket, etc or people will try to reach into your bag, backpack and steal stuff. Don't leave your packpack, laptop unattended or it will be gone. Bikes too.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1436364402|3900335 said:
CJ2008|1436308012|3900103 said:
Hi guys

CJ, I have lived in Chicago for 27 years and been a realtor here for 11 of those so I'm happy to try to help.

I can't tell you whether an area is "safe" or "not safe" though because that is (a) illegal for me to do as a realtor, and (b) impossible to do anyway because there are too many complexities that go into it. Virtually all neighborhoods, including those you mentioned, vary on a street by street basis. The only criminal activity I was ever exposed to directly in Chicago happened in the Gold Coast, which is Chicago's most exclusive neighborhood.

Regarding renting through a management company, can you tell me why you are opposed to that? This is a generality, but management companies typically have personnel on staff that can come and address any problems quickly and you will virtually always be able to get you to some person in an emergency. Individual owners can also be great -- if you get a good one. So again, this experience will vary on a property-to-property basis. If you want to find units for rent by owner though your best bet is Craig's list.

My advice to someone who is new to a city is to live as close as possible to the destination (in this case school) in a larger professionally managed building for at least the first year, and preferably with a door person if possible to add an element of safety. Then, after being here for a year, it's easier to decide what neighborhood's are desirable *to you*, how you feel about the public transportation system (if that's indeed how you get to school), what amenities are important (nearby grocery stores, etc.), and maybe make a move at the end of the first lease once there's a better sense of what's going on.

Sorry if this is vague but I'm extremely hesitant to paint neighborhoods with a broad brush since they are so varied! I don't think you have my email, but someone on here can probably connect us if you want to chat off-line about more specifics or if there's a particular building that might be of interest since I've been in a lot of them over the past 11 years.

Dee*Jay thank you so much, this is so kind of you! I might definitely take you up on that offer to run locations or buildings by you as we start to hopefully zoom in on a few places, that would be so incredibly helpful.

And thank you also for all the tips and advice they make perfect sense.

Our search tactic changed as our yesterday. What we've figured out is that what my niece said she told us she WANTS to pay in rent is definitely NOT what she can afford. All of the management buildings want 3 times the monthly rent in income - which she cannot fulfill. Which also got us thinking, if they require that, it's because they know less than that is asking for trouble. So what we figured out is that she needs a roommate situation, and that's where we're focusing our efforts now. So I feel like at least this "breakthrough" has opened up a different avenue to explore. But like you said about the individual owners, same with the roommate/s - the key is getting a suitable situation. We are just beginning to explore this so we'll see where it leads us - I'll keep you updated.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1436365837|3900343 said:
I ditto what Dee Jay says. She is going to want to live around or near the Hyde Park area if she is going to U. of Chicago. If she lived somewhere like Lincoln Park she would have to commute in and out, which I don't think she would really want to do.

Renting in a larger building the first year will give her a year to feel out the area and see if there is an area/neighborhood she likes better. Again like many cities it is really a neighborhood by neighbhood, or even street by street consideration, and making sure she doesn't have to walk though any bad areas if she is walking to the University.
I'm not a realtor so I can say this. I've had friends go to U. of Chicago. It is surrounded by some high crime areas. Taking public transportation (bus, El) you have to have your wallet zipped up, front pocket, etc or people will try to reach into your bag, backpack and steal stuff. Don't leave your packpack, laptop unattended or it will be gone. Bikes too.

Thanks, pg.

Excellent point about having to walk through any bad neighborhoods - will keep that in mind too - and I will most likely run any exact potential locations by Dee*Jay first, just to make triple sure we're not missing anything.

Right now we were trying to see as many options as possible just to see what's out there, but very little commuting, if any, would be ideal...we're trying to understand so we can help her navigate all of these options and the pros and cons...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1436365837|3900343 said:

Maybe I misread CJ's original post but I was under the impression that she was going to a university IN Chicago based on the comment about the University Village area, not the University OF Chicago (in Hyde Park)...?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oops I'm sorry, I read that as University of Chicago, probably going to UIC. Please disregard!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1436389262|3900570 said:
oops I'm sorry, I read that as University of Chicago, probably going to UIC. Please disregard!

No worries -- I just wanted to make sure I was thinking about the right neighborhoods!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
CJ, does your niece have her own car or will she be taking public transportation? If she's taking public transport and IS going to UIC, not U of C, the blue line will drop her off right there, so she'll want to be somewhere where it's convenient to catch the blue line. I took the train for 5 years to UIC and lived in a neighborhood called North Center while doing so. It was very convenient and less expensive than some of the other neighborhoods, especially Lincoln Park. If you have any questions about any streets in the North Center area just let me know and I'll be glad to help out any way I can. If she has her own car and will be driving to school, that opens up her possibilities a lot more.

Here's a link to the Chicago CTA map system so you can see what areas are near the blue line stops.
http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1436394612|3900610 said:
part gypsy|1436389262|3900570 said:

No worries -- I just wanted to make sure I was thinking about the right neighborhoods!

no, not at all, pg! Your point still stands - if possible, no commuting would be ideal.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit|1436396526|3900630 said:
CJ, does your niece have her own car or will she be taking public transportation? If she's taking public transport and IS going to UIC, not U of C, the blue line will drop her off right there, so she'll want to be somewhere where it's convenient to catch the blue line. I took the train for 5 years to UIC and lived in a neighborhood called North Center while doing so. It was very convenient and less expensive than some of the other neighborhoods, especially Lincoln Park. If you have any questions about any streets in the North Center area just let me know and I'll be glad to help out any way I can. If she has her own car and will be driving to school, that opens up her possibilities a lot more.

Here's a link to the Chicago CTA map system so you can see what areas are near the blue line stops.
http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/

I think she's going to have a car but I think she said she doesn't want to drive it. Not sure why. I'll have to ask. (I did read in some ads "permit not required" so it may have something to do with what she had found out about parking there?)

I had not heard of North Center so I'll put that on our "map" - and yes, I will make sure to ask once we start zooming in on places - thank you for your offer on this LM :) and for the link to the map system.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have a small update...

Niece found a roommate and they're looking in the Buena Park area...not sure why they're looking there - this seems way north to DH and I...but that's where they're looking right now.

If she zooms in any one particular place I'll let you know.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buena Park...woah... how did they select that area? I highly suggest the go there at night, together (not alone), and make sure they are comfortable. The warmer the night the better because more people will be out and about. And this is one of the few Chicago neighborhoods where being east (toward the lake) is not better. Honestly, I would look west of the cemetery right there (but then you're a little away from the el).

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know... :sick:

She said today they were emailing someone with a potential apartment between Clarendon and Dayton...I think she said a couple of blocks south of Monrose Ave...they seem excited about it, so I'm afraid they'll just take it without looking further into the area.

What is the cemetary called?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Graceland Cemetery.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just looked up the cemetery...they're definitely East of that...

Dee*Jay, I think I can get my niece to give me the exact address of the bldg. - or based on the approximate location I gave you, you'd still recommend West of Graceland?

Let me know if you'd prefer to chat privately.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results