shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for those of you who have lost weight

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What was your bottom? There had to be a moment where you told yourself you needed to do something about your weight and made the changes necessary.

What was that moment?

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
My bottom was hearing my cardiologist tell me that with my family history I would almost certainly have a major cardiac event at some point in my life. My mother died at 53 from a heart attack and my paternal grandfather died at 62 from a major heart attack. I am built exactly like my mom. So, I take atorvastatin for the rest of my life and exercise regularly and eat healthier.
It is a lifestyle change not a diet for sure. I have slacked off here and there and immediately start gaining weight back.
I am down almost 30 pounds and have built stamina! That is the best for me, not feeling tired all the time.

How about you, what was your bottom?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mom2dolls, the increase in stamina is one of the best parts of weight loss isn't it? Well, and a smaller pair of jeans perhaps :dance:
its so great that you were able to make such a dent, 30lbs is a great accomplishment, they say even 10% helps.

My bottom was (not proud of this) frosting and eating a dozen cupcakes in one sitting!! :oops:
I was a size 18W and I'm 5'3 so I was 210bs. I lost the weight and got down to 130 but then got pregnant and so I'm working on losing the baby weight a second time. I've lost 50lbs this time around, no gorging on cupcakes either ;-)

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
A picture of me someone took last spring. I looked awful and was wearing a dress I loved, but wasn't a good look on me. Also the knowledge if I didn't do something about it I would outgrow all my fall/winter clothes and I am way too stubborn and cheap to do that. So exercised every other day since my BFF moved and I have a gym virtually around the corner. All summer long all I focused on is exercising and avoiding all the garbage food I really love. And in the summer I go totally boho with maxi dresses and skirts so I wasn't wearing an jeans that would measure any progress. And I've lost 1-2 sizes depending which clothes I am wearing. And if I could say anything to you about it, just focus on one day {or meal} at a time. And don't beat yourself if you have a bad day. We all have them.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My rock bottom was when my first true love broke up with me because his mom told him I was too big at such a young age (20) and if he ever had kids with me, I'd become as huge as a house, and he would have to hide me and never be seen in public with him again.

Around the same time I decided I was going to be a nutritionist, and overheard an acquaintance say that they would never take nutritional advice from someone who was as overweight as I was.....

My revenge weightloss totaled 40lbs. After 20+ years and 2 kids, I'm happy slim and fit, and I hope I run into these people so I can flaunt it in their faces!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jaysonsmom, how awful!

I've had two bottoms. :lol: My first bottom was weighing the same as my husband on my wedding day. I'm 5'5" and up until my late twenties weighed no more than 125lbs. I'd been warned FOREVER that my metabolism would decline and I didn't listen. On my wedding day, I weighed 146lbs and my husband 145lbs (he's only 5'7"). Oh what I would give for that bottom! No pun intended. I went to Weight Watchers October 1st and by January I was down to 121lbs. Yay!

I stayed between 120lbs and 130lbs until I became pregnant with my first son a year later. I gained 55lbs. He was born July 30. By fall I was back to 125lbs. I attribute that 100% to nursing.

Just after my son's first birthday, I had a miscarriage. I had already gained 10lbs so now 135lbs. Not long after that DS1 weaned. Oh boy. Stop eating like you're nursing if you're not nursing! Within 2 months another 10lbs. Then I got pregnant with DS2 - already up nearly 20lbs, I gained 55 lbs again. I was 190lbs at my 38 week check. I lost 45lbs within a few months then plateaued. Then DS2 weaned and, having not learned my lesson the first time, I did not adjust my eating habits. My weight crept up to 160lbs by his 2nd birthday. A few months ago I noticed my fat pants were getting tight. I weighed myself. 172lbs. I shed some tears. I was officially FAT. To top it off, I have no energy, get winded carrying my 30lb child up the steps and have a gut like I'm six months pregnant because I have NO muscle. So, that's bottom number 2. I'm now down 8lbs but still way outside my comfort zone and honestly just unhealthy and not fit. It is so much harder to lose it now at 38 then it was at 30. It's overwhelming at times.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine was going shopping with a previously very overweight friend, who went away to university very fat & came home 3 years later very thin. I was literally struck dumb by her transformation & immediately went home to my parents & said that's it, no more, you have to help me make healthy choices.

Two & a half years later, through sheer grit & sweat, I had lost exactly 8 stone & became super healthy. I had some help from a relative who was studying to be a personal trainer in the US, and I flew out to see her from the UK every 3 months to have my fitness program changed (oh to be young, single & a spend thrift again :lol: ) She went on to be super successful with her own fitness company & now trains Iron Man contenders, but I still check in with her & see her when she is back in the UK to see the family. She's amazing :saint:

It's exactly 20 years on from that time & I still run 5 mornings a week. Even during my pregnancies I only gained 23 & 25 pounds respectively.

I love being fit & strong, I love running through the fields & tracks near my house & I love how my clothes look. I have spent half my life very overweight & half of it trim & super fit. I know which I prefer.

Good luck on your journeys, everyone. Weight loss is tough, but keeping it off can occasionally be tougher :wavey:

PierreBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I looked in the mirror and saw that my lower stomach area was protruding as if I was pregnant.... except all I had done was eaten at a buffet. No more buffets!

For the other women who have responded on the thread, do you remember if your body shape changed as you got older? From 20s to 30s to 40s? I've heard that you might naturally start to hold fat or excess reserves in different areas as you age. Does this mean it for me it will be on my lower stomach area? Getting older is difficult!

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
Yes, your body does change as you get older. Your metabolism slows, making weight loss more difficult.
I noticed significant changes at 30 and 35. The biggest difference at 35.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Mine was when I became a diabetic.

I had no choice but to lose weight or slowly lose kidney function, my feet, my hands, my sight, my life.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Aging has definitely changed my weight distribution, but it could also be childbirth, who knows? I'm in my early 40's and although I weigh about the same as I did when I got married at 27, my shape went from hourglass to rectangle. I'm flatter on top, thicker in the middle and hips stayed the same.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My body after losing the baby weight came back after my first but after the second and being over 35 now, not so much. I def think that it slows down significantly after 35. Now I have to eat super clean and exercise daily just to maintain.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never really had a weight issue until I got older. But while some of it is likely due to a slowing down of the metabolism, I think the majority of it comes from two factors: a more sedentary lifestyle and how I view food. When I was in college and before I had kids, I had plenty of time and instead of driving, I'd walk everywhere. I would walk to the pool on my lunch hour, swim and walk back. After work, I went running or went to cardio classes. Then with the advent of kids, I'd drive to pick them up from daycare/school, drive home, etc. I'd still try and get them out every day for exercise, but it wasn't like I could just go running, so it wasn't the same. While some Moms have the energy to exercise after their kids are asleep at night, that was not me!

Also, somewhere in there, I started looking forward to food as a pleasure in my life. I remember when I was younger going to parties and functions and food was never on my mind - instead, whether the people would be interesting, whether the music would be good, and whether the place would be a nice place to hangout would be on my mind. Now, I wonder if the food will be good, lol! I have to break that habit again as food definitely has morphed into something to look forward to.

Anyway, I'm now back at walking a lot (I often have my kids competing with me to use the car so it works out well), exercising and limiting my food intake on a good day. And yes, the weight is coming off - slowly, but coming off!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results