shape
carat
color
clarity

Puppy in Surgery....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I need some ps good vibes today.

My beloved dog was attacked (by a dog) at the dog park this morning.
He's at the hospital now, about to go into surgery.
The lacerations are so bad that they have to put him under to suture them.

The dog who attacked him, a chocolate lab, was off leash - as was mine.
This dog has charged me and my dog on previous occasions.
I'm not afraid of many dogs (being a dog lover) but this one actually scares me.

My poor puppy. He just trotted over to say hello - and he got a 4 in gaping hole ripped in his side.

So - please any good thoughts or prayers would really help right now.

Thanks,

Scintillating...

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
oh no! that''s horrible! i''m sending prayers and vibes right away for a speedy recovery!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
so sorry to hear this scint...it''s so odd that a lab would be vicious like that, all the ones we have ever known here (20+) are so friendly and playful.

good luck and i''m sure he will be fine...!!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry! I''m thinking about you and your puppy and hoping for the best.

Where was the owner of the lab? That dog sounds like it needs some training or medication! Labs aren''t usually like that, are they? If the dog has charged you on multiple occasions it definitely shouldn''t be allowed off leash at a dog park!!! Is there a rules committee or anything like that?

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys.

We've never had any problems with Yellow or black labs, but in my experience chocolate labs can be a bit ill tempered - but this is a new one to me.

Along with the medical bills, I'm going to request that she not walk this dog off leash again. -And seek some training and perhaps medicate the dog.
Dogs can get into disagreements and scuffles, but this was really scary.
My dog, a male blue standard poodle, is certainly not perfect, but come on.

Scintillating...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good god! Healing vibes headed your pup''s way! Sounds like he''s in good hands. Thank heavens you were there!!

Hope you get comforting news soon!!!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Scint... I am so sorry! Here''s some good wishes and hugs and kisses from my Woof-Man. I hope your fur baby feels 100% better soon...

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
I''m so sorry to hear about your poor dog.
7.gif
Sending positive vibes your way for a speedy recovery!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Scint, how scary for you and your puppy!!! What a horrible incident... how did did the owner react??

Lots of good healing/calming vibes to you and your baby ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I am sorry to hear this. I hope your puppy sails through with flying colors.

Yeah, I know a chocolate lab that seemed kind grumpy. Although maybe it was because it was less enthusiastic than most labs I''ve seen.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, I hope your little guy recovers in a hurry.
7.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would be mortified if that was my dog attacking someone else, but if this dog has done it before, sounds like the owner doesn''t care or is in denial about their dog''s dangerousness. some people just don''t get it! also some dogs just don''t like other dogs and who knows rhyme or reason?!?!

the other night we were out walking and this little yappy yorkie was out on the patio of a coffee shop and the owners were like oh she wants to say hi to your dog. portia didn''t look so sure but we walked up to them and the dog went nuts and started attacking portia. given, it was all of about 8 lbs so it wasn''t doing much to her other than pushing it''s body on her and growling (small tiny mouth and teeth = fairly ineffective attack against portia''s furry body)....portia just did her faux ''im bad'' snarly growl and big body push and the other dog skipped away for a second and tried to come back. the owner grabbed the dog and was totally horrified, oh my god never done that before, blah blah...the dog was STRAINING to get at portia over the owner''s back, and all you saw was a big gaping mouth of tiny teeth and snarling eyes. that dog wanted to EAT our dog.

anyway the whole thing was really friggin hilarious to us because the dog was TINY and it just was somehow hating on portia and portia was just kind of pushing against my leg looking at the dog like ''whatever crazy animal'' and greg and i could just not stop LAUGHING. but the owners were horrified, apologizing up and down. we said no biggie and continued our walk but we are still cracking up talking about the dog and it''s obvious portia hate.

the point here is that dogs are unpredictable! these owners obviously had no idea that little muffy or whatever could be such a vicious attack dog because their horror and mortification was totally real. i have even seen portia have a really bad day and get snarly with a dog who comes and sniffs her butt the wrong way. for the most part though i think that dogs just need to work out their own ''issues'' with each other without people getting involved, but sometimes yeah it can go wrong and get scary. if muffy was a 50 lb dog we probably would not have been as interested in having portia meet her if she was growling the way this 8 lb dog was definitely and i''m sure we wouldn''t have been laughing if it was a big dog that had tried to eat portia. but i think that sometimes you just have to take it with a grain of salt...sometimes dogs can be scary and that''s just the nature of the beast.

keep us posted scint!!

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~My prayers and best wishes are with you (and your puppy)...
12.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry to hear this.

I''ve been traumatized ever since I witnessed a large dog attack a small dog at a street fair in Houston. It looked like (and sounded like) it was killing the little dog. I can''t handle that. I know dogs need to play around and be off leash, but it freaks me out in public areas. The truth is you NEVER know what a dog might do...it is an animal and you can''t reason with it. I''m not a fan of having dogs off leash where other dogs are around. Not if the dogs don''t know each other. I''ve never had a dog, but that experience really traumatized me. I can only imagine if my dog were involved!

I hope your baby is fine and recovers well. Hugs.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Prayers and positive vibes from me to you and your precious puppy. That owner needs to get a clue.

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear about your puppy, I hope everything turns out OK. I have a yellow lab which is the sweetest dog I''ve ever met. Her mom was yellow and dad chocolate, and they both were as sweet as they could be. Some people confuse chocolate labs with Chesapeake Bay Retreivers, they look very similar. Chesapeake Bay Retreivers can be aggressive and do not have the temperment of labs.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Please keep us updated!

And I''m sorry this happened. I COMPLETELY understand what you are going through...

One of my dogs was attacked by a golden retriever at the dog park last November. Totally unprovoked. Izzie needed 10 stitches in his ear. The dog nearly ripped half of his ear off. He was also put under for the suturing.

He''s fine now. A bit leary of golden retrievers - but he still likes the park and still enjoys other dogs...don''t know if that helps or not...

The owner of the dog that attacked him paid for all of his medical bills, sent us a card apologizing and we haven''t seen the dog at the park since...but I have to tell you...I was really angry about the whole thing. My poor pupper was in a ton of pain and there wasn''t a THING I could do about it.

Anyway...I feel for you and your dog. That just stinks...

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no, Scintillating!
7.gif
I am so sorry to hear about your puppy and hope he makes a speedy recovery.

{HUGS to you and your pup}
12.gif

kucinta

Rough_Rock
Aww I''m so sorry to hear about your puppy! *big hugs*... but dogs are tough and I''m sure he''ll pull through just fine... and he''s lucky to have you to care for him and make sure he got medical attention immediately.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is just terrible! I''m so sorry Scint to hear about your poor puppy. Huge hugs to you, and The Demon Dog sends big tail wags out to your own furry baby.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Sniff*
7.gif

I just got a call, he's out of surgery and doing okay.
The doctor didn't count the number of stitches, he just said "a lot".
I'm anxious and nervous to get him home.
Poor guy is going to be quite sore for a while.

Thanks for all the support. I'll keep you posted.
Jeesh, I can only imagine what it's like when one's human child is hurt!
7.gif

Scintillating...

To answer the question about how the lady reacted. She was *very* apologetic.
She didn't hesitate to give me her name and phone number, which I appreciated.
She also didn't hesitate to give me info about her dog's vaccinations when I called from the hospital.

Also, I'm quite sure it's a Chocolate lab, and have not confused it with a Cheasapeake Bay retriever. I'm not implying in anyway that all Chocolate's are bad dogs.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
*Animal lover here* I''m glad your dog is doing OK. What a scary thing to have happen.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
That''s awful! Your poor puppy. I hope that he has a speedy recovery, and Dylan sends him some puppy kisses.

The other day, Dylan and I were walking through a park when we came across a black lab-sized dog just straining on his leash and snarling at us. His owner was a pretty petite woman and had problems keeping him from charging at us. Dylan''s just so innocent and thinks that everyone (and I mean everyone) just wants to play with him and pet him, and he really wanted to go play with the growling dog. I''m just glad that I keep him on his leash, because otherwise I think something similar could have probably happened to him.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
oh thank you so much for the update. i''m so happy to hear that everything has gone really well. please continue to keep us posted.

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
oh my gosh im so sorry to hear this ill be praying for your baby and sending as many good vibes as possible Duke sends his love!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
WHAT!!!!! OMG! Honey I am SO sorry! You have vibes and head butts (from the babies) and toes crossed from me babe. There is a dog at our off leash park like that... we don't take Sheila there anymore as a result. I would do SERIOUSLY bodily harm to that owner if I got a hold of him. Or at least serious financial and legal harm. ((HUGS))

ETA: I just saw the update... THANK GOD! Give him lots of smooches. As for the owner... at least she was appologetic-- is she paying the vet bill?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay happy to hear the pup is doing okay...just be sure to lavish him with lots of affection...i hate when they feel badly because there is typically nothing you can do to fix it...!!

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry for the pain you and your pup are going through. Glad that he''s doing ok. Any idea how long he''ll be in the hospital?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock

So sorry to hear about this. I''m glad the vet was able to mend the pup. Give him lots of puppy hugs for us! Standard Poodles are one of my FAVorite breeds.

Labs, in general, are one of the most dog aggressive breeds, especially with escalation of violence. Why? Don''t know. But, I wonder if her dog was a male & your pup still in tack developing male? That''s what I''ve usually seen - male on male with labs.

I hate to hear about things like this. Most "dog fights" are handled between the two w/o ever breaking the skin. Either the dog is off; or, something couldn''t put an inhibitor on it.

Mara - funny about the 8lb yorkie picking a fight. A few years back little yorkie type small dog got loose. I was walking my 50lb of fun male on leash. This dog came up all attack like. It confused the heck out of my pup. He looked up at me & kinda tilted his head - like "This wouldn''t qualify as a snack!" We just moved on.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
This is just terrible. So glad your little guy pulled through OK. Also glad the owner is being responsive. Keep us posted.

Some dogs are just too unpredictable to be off leash. For example, my older dog is unpredictable with new dogs that she doesn''t know. (She has never bitten, just made a lot of noise.) I would never allow her to meet new dogs off leash or in an uncontrolled environment. I would not want to put her or another dog in a potentially bad situation. Why does that owner let her dog off leash.... grumble.

We did have a situation with a neighborhood pit bull who was tied out (a practice I DO NOT LIKE) who got loose and attacked my dogs, completely unprovoked. We had a heck of a time pulling them apart and finally the owner came out. It was very scary. Thankfully nobody was hurt. I try not to be prejudiced against any breed of dog but my only experiences with pits has been negative (maybe it is the people who tend to buy them).

I share your opinion about chocolate labs - the two that I''ve known have not had the same temperment as yellow and black labs I''ve known.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results