shape
carat
color
clarity

PSA: Tylenol during pregnancy linked to ADHD

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like you may want to add Acetaminophen to the list of pregnancy monos.

SNIP
"Facing a world full of potential dangers for the babies they carry, pregnant women hear regularly that acetaminophen can be trusted to reduce fevers and relieve aches and pains without causing harm to a developing fetus.
But a new study reports that the children of women who took the drug during pregnancy were about 40% more likely to be diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder than children of mothers who took none.

Acetaminophen is the active ingredient in Tylenol and Panadol and is also a component of Excedrin, among other common pain relievers.

The probability of a child developing ADHD symptoms severe enough to require medication increased the most — by 63% — when his or her mother took acetaminophen during the last two trimesters of pregnancy, researchers found.
It also rose by about 28% when acetaminophen was used in the third trimester alone.
The added risk was smallest — about 9% — when a pregnant woman reported taking the drug only during her first trimester of pregnancy.

The rest of the story:
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-tylenol-pregnancy-adhd-risk-20140224,0,2353473.story#ixzz2uMD5LhuG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sigh...

Because pregnant women need to worry MORE about what they put in their bodies when they are pregnant. :rolleyes:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You would think the risk would be greater during the first trimester when the baby is developing. My son is Autistic and I was worried I caused it by taking one dose of codeine when I was pregnant.

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
And this is why I don't trust doctor's 100%
I am 15 weeks along, and am having various pains (headache from hormones, lower back pain, etc).
The doc encouraged me to take tylenol for the pain.

Thankfully I see a group of docs, and each one is different, but I wished doctors were more informed about things before Ok-ing certain medication.

Maybe the best thing to do is to 'put a little windex on it'. :sick:

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
PS: Thanks Kenny for the PSA!
Hopefully more people outside of PS will hear about this.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1393353704|3622760 said:
Sigh...

Because pregnant women need to worry MORE about what they put in their bodies when they are pregnant. :rolleyes:

I know, pregnant women have soooooooooo much to worry about already…..
One of my children ended up with some minor special needs and of course, I always wonder if it was something that I did "wrong" during pregnancy.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1393357029|3622799 said:
Sigh...

One of my children ended up with some minor special needs and of course, I always wonder if it was something that I did "wrong" during pregnancy.
Exactly.

I have ADHD, does that mean my mother took too much Tylenol when I was in utero?

But then, you see, if the mother is stressed out because she's in pain, that's not good for the baby either.

Ugh. Pregnant women just can't win. And it's a marvel that any of us came out "normal".

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The article provides no information about the frequency of use - and it is based on a single study. I wouldn't say it's sensationalist, but I do wonder why it's getting so much play (my local paper also featured it on the front page) given how little information it actually provides. The editorial in the same JAMA issue is entitled "An Interesting Observed Association But Too Early to Infer Causality"
http://archpedi.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1833483 and identifies some shortfalls in the methodology.

That said, acetaminophen is known to be what I consider a dangerous drug, because there is little room for error in the dosage. Exceeding the recommended dosage by as little as 50% can lead to fatal liver damage. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/505/use-only-as-directed Accidental overdose is possible even among people who are being careful of their Tylenol usage simply because acetaminophen is also used in many other over-the-county medications, such as cold and flu formulations, as well as prescription pain killers. Even aside from this ADHD study, it's worthwhile for anyone who uses acetaminophen to know about its potential dangers.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great. :roll:

More things to worry about! You can't take ibuprofen and now you can't take acetaminophen.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This just makes my heart hurt... my DD is 15 and is "off the charts" ADHD (not my term, the psychologist that tested her). Medication makes a HUGE difference in her life. She has better "executive decisions" and her grades improved greatly. To think that something I might have done, and Tylenol was the only pain medication recommened, might have caused this is just awful.... :nono:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1393358496|3622820 said:
Sigh...

Exactly.

I have ADHD, does that mean my mother took too much Tylenol when I was in utero?

But then, you see, if the mother is stressed out because she's in pain, that's not good for the baby either.

Ugh. Pregnant women just can't win. And it's a marvel that any of us came out "normal".

It's because you're really just a host, remember? :rolleyes:
http://www.salon.com/2014/02/24/virginia_republican_says_pregnant_women_are_hosts_even_if_some_people_refer_to_them_as_mothers/

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Poor mothers everywhere, like those who have already spoken up in this thread, will feel even more guilt over something they couldn't have possibly known, in the case there is definite causality established. You mustn't beat yourselves up - goodness knows you were following current safe recommendations. The doctors were providing you with the best knowledge they had at the time, and new health discoveries are always being made. The era of drinking and smoking through pregnancy and holding the newborn on the way home from the hospital wasn't that long ago -- those mothers were doing they best they knew as well. Everyone knows mothers, during pregnancy and all the years after, are some of the most saint-like, sacrificial people on Earth. Please realize that a mistake of unable-to-be-known knowledge is unavoidable and blame belongs nowhere.

Big hugs to all the moms out there who always do the best they can. :wavey:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1393370028|3622937 said:
FrekeChild|1393358496|3622820 said:
Sigh...

Exactly.

It's because you're really just a host, remember? :rolleyes:
http://www.salon.com/2014/02/24/virginia_republican_says_pregnant_women_are_hosts_even_if_some_people_refer_to_them_as_mothers/
Oh, I remember. THAT guy makes me sick.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mayk|1393369267|3622925 said:
This just makes my heart hurt... my DD is 15 and is "off the charts" ADHD (not my term, the psychologist that tested her). Medication makes a HUGE difference in her life. She has better "executive decisions" and her grades improved greatly. To think that something I might have done, and Tylenol was the only pain medication recommened, might have caused this is just awful.... :nono:
I'd tell you that there's no way you could have known, but I know I'd be wasting my breath. Mom's always blame themselves when something is amiss with their kids....it's just human nature. Now that I have kids of my own, I look back on some of the decisions that my parents made for me that radically changed my life (not in a positive way). I used to wonder why they made those decisions...now I know that they did the best they could with the info they had and that they made those decisions with love overflowing from their hearts.

I often wonder if the decisions I make today will end up being good ones or bad ones for my kids. It's just part of being a parent. The bottom line is that the only safe medication during pregnancy is probably no medication....

Try to cut yourself some slack Mayk and I'll do the same! Hugs...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We all do our best.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My kids are 18 and 15, so I know that recommendations have and will continue to change. Back in 1995, I was told that I could not take anything BUT Tylenol. DD1 is "borderline ADHD" according to one doctor, DD2, not at all.

I have not read about this, do we know if this theory is coming from a series of studies, or just one that is getting a lot of attention? I ask because I remember reading about a theory that pacifiers may lead to more ear infections. DD1 was highly attached to her binky, and did have a couple ear infections in her first few year. (gave it up by three) DD2 never took one, she had more ear infections than her sister, to the point that our doctor was prepared to send her to an ENT if she had one more. Thankfully, she didn't.

What I'm trying to say, is that I don't know if this info is reliable yet. While it's always prudent for a pregnant woman to be careful of what meds she takes, food she eats, etc., I don't think the rest of us need to beat ourselves up, because a child has one or many challenges in life. Whether it's ADHD, Autism, allergies, epilepsy (DD1 has this,) learning delays....what's most important is that we do the best we can to care for our kids and address issues as they arise, so that our children can be healthy and live the best lives they are able.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KaeKae, some of the questions you ask are answered in the Los Angeles Times article I linked to.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kenny, I will take some time to look at it tonight.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
I took Tylenol and Tylenol PM my entire pregnancy, he is almost 21 months so far no issues.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I'm not a saint or a good mother because I'm not an extreme worrier? Media just loves to stir up drama. I think if you let your mind go there and you enjoy being a worrier then this stuff can really affect you.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find it hard to believe that Tylenol would be the root of the problem, over all the additives and preservatives in our food nowadays and over the fact that we eat and drink like crap. I'd vote for the pop I've seen in baby bottles and the teeny toddlers being fed McDonalds and Doritos constantly over a pregnant mom needing a headache to go away.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for posting this. It is important that we as a community are aware of ongoing medical developments (if proven that is! I have no time for the now debunked anti - vaccine 'reports').

And thank you JG for your post, because yes we do worry, very much.
My son does not gave ADHD - and I've never been much of a pain relief/ Panadol user, even if I'm quite feverish or headachy.

But... Not being into pills for pain relief I was sooo tired, morning sick and frankly exhausted through his pregnancy (his elder sister was a toddler) that I could only keep down plain breakfast cereal, cold milk, apple and - believe it or not - pineapple fritters from our local takeaway.

He had quite bad eczema as a baby which is eventually improving.
Logically I know there is a genetic component, linked to his father's hay fever.
However I do wonder whether my poor nutrition put him at risk.
When he was in the throws of eczema as a baby I felt quite despairing.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure I am completely buying this. There is a lot of evidence suggesting that ADHD is hereditary as well. I personally think it has more to do with our food supply and what we are feeding our kids. Could Tylenol be a factor, sure. But I don't think it is a major cause and effect scenario. My gosh, it could be a million things.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1393381129|3623106 said:
I find it hard to believe that Tylenol would be the root of the problem, over all the additives and preservatives in our food nowadays and over the fact that we eat and drink like crap. I'd vote for the pop I've seen in baby bottles and the teeny toddlers being fed McDonalds and Doritos constantly over a pregnant mom needing a headache to go away.

Packrat, I can appreciate your opinion here. But as a mother to a son with ADHD, I can assure you that I did not give him soda in his bottle or feed him Mcdonalds every day. I'm sure those things could result in behavioral problems, but true ADHD is beyond that. My son's ADHD was so bad that they thought he was autistic because he could not even pay attention enough to listen to and hold a conversation with someone. He has ADHD inattentive type, not hyperactive and absolutely no behavioral problems. He is a sweet boy who got behind academically because he just could not tune into his teachers presenting and myself working with him at home. He is now on medication (for about 3 months now) and has been excelling at school. For so long, I didn't know what the future held for him. And I am so proud of him and his progress!

Edited to add that ADHD does run in my family. Myself and my husband do not have it, but I have a couple of first cousins who do and still take medication as adults.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
KaeKae|1393377464|3623057 said:
My kids are 18 and 15, so I know that recommendations have and will continue to change. Back in 1995, I was told that I could not take anything BUT Tylenol. DD1 is "borderline ADHD" according to one doctor, DD2, not at all.

I have not read about this, do we know if this theory is coming from a series of studies, or just one that is getting a lot of attention? I ask because I remember reading about a theory that pacifiers may lead to more ear infections. DD1 was highly attached to her binky, and did have a couple ear infections in her first few year. (gave it up by three) DD2 never took one, she had more ear infections than her sister, to the point that our doctor was prepared to send her to an ENT if she had one more. Thankfully, she didn't.

What I'm trying to say, is that I don't know if this info is reliable yet. While it's always prudent for a pregnant woman to be careful of what meds she takes, food she eats, etc., I don't think the rest of us need to beat ourselves up, because a child has one or many challenges in life. Whether it's ADHD, Autism, allergies, epilepsy (DD1 has this,) learning delays....what's most important is that we do the best we can to care for our kids and address issues as they arise, so that our children can be healthy and live the best lives they are able.

KaeKae, I appreciate the last part of your note here. I did take one does of tylenol when I was pregnant with my son, but I am more opt to think he has ADHD due to hereditary reasons vs. that one dose! ha! We as moms and dads do the best we can for our kids no matter what. I have friends who judge me on medicating my son. But as they say...walk a day in my shoes.... His success and happiness is my affirmation that I am making the right decision!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1393350573|3622726 said:
Looks like you may want to add Acetaminophen to the list of pregnancy monos.

SNIP
"Facing a world full of potential dangers for the babies they carry, pregnant women hear regularly that acetaminophen can be trusted to reduce fevers and relieve aches and pains without causing harm to a developing fetus.
But a new study reports that the children of women who took the drug during pregnancy were about 40% more likely to be diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder than children of mothers who took none.

Acetaminophen is the active ingredient in Tylenol and Panadol and is also a component of Excedrin, among other common pain relievers.

The probability of a child developing ADHD symptoms severe enough to require medication increased the most — by 63% — when his or her mother took acetaminophen during the last two trimesters of pregnancy, researchers found.
It also rose by about 28% when acetaminophen was used in the third trimester alone.
The added risk was smallest — about 9% — when a pregnant woman reported taking the drug only during her first trimester of pregnancy.

The rest of the story:
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-tylenol-pregnancy-adhd-risk-20140224,0,2353473.story#ixzz2uMD5LhuG

Not to make light of the subject, but you can cherry pick studies all day long to make them show whatever you'd like. There was a girl in my Rx school class that did a very good dissertation regarding the increase of ADHD in the last thirty years. I imagine the increase in ADHD has a lot more to do with over-diagnosing than taking acetaminophen. Sixty years ago, no one complained of back pain -- seriously, it's very hard to find reports of it. Twenty years ago, hardly any children had ADHD -- it wasn't popular. Although there is definitely truth to the diagnosis, I would venture to bet that A LOT of cases are misdiagnosed for a myriad of reasons... popularity, parent/teacher laziness, ADHD meds, etc...

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
lizzyann|1393383078|3623130 said:
KaeKae|1393377464|3623057 said:

KaeKae, I appreciate the last part of your note here. I did take one does of tylenol when I was pregnant with my son, but I am more opt to think he has ADHD due to hereditary reasons vs. that one dose! ha! We as moms and dads do the best we can for our kids no matter what. I have friends who judge me on medicating my son. But as they say...walk a day in my shoes.... His success and happiness is my affirmation that I am making the right decision!

Absolutely lizzieanne! I agree with both your points, genetics is central to understanding and also to getting the symptoms under control so your boy can better fulfil his potential! :)

I have a friend whose four year old is overweight. There is a combination of genetics and health issues at play. I've seen this kid's lunch box, she is literally living on carrot sticks. My friend is mortified to think others are judging her parenting.

I say the more we learn about genes (and from there better understand how medications and foods pollens etc interact with those genes) the more we can drop the mother guilt! Roll on science!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1393379533|3623091 said:
Maybe I'm not a saint or a good mother because I'm not an extreme worrier? Media just loves to stir up drama. I think if you let your mind go there and you enjoy being a worrier then this stuff can really affect you.

Uhm, this was a medical study.
The media just reported it.

Should the media not report it?

I'm astonished at the tone of many posts in this thread - so pissed off and resentful.
I expected more of, "I'm glad for any info that may help our kids be more healthy.
Sheesh!

What sucks is not the media, but the FDA.
Shouldn't this have been studied before Acetaminophen was released?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1393384127|3623148 said:
monarch64|1393379533|3623091 said:

Uhm, this was a medical study.
The media just reported it.

Should the media not report it?

I'm astonished at the tone of the posts in this thread.
Everyone's pissed off and resentful.
You'd think everyone would post, "I'm glad for any info that may help our kids be more healthy.
Sheesh!

Shouldn't this have been studied before?

I kinda agree with monarch on the media thing... especially when the story is related to medicine. There are medical studies showing pretty much anything you want. The media grabs onto the ones that will boost ratings.

Just to be clear on the "findings" of medical studies... they are not all legit. Did their surveys show it, yes. Does this mean it's correct... absolutely not.

When a drug is being tested for humans, if one person out of tens of thousands reports a totally random "side effect" while taking the chemical being given, that effect must be listed as a possible side effect for the drug, regardless of what it is. While this is done for our safety (more importantly, the drug innovator's decreased liability), there is a real problem when people read these long lists of side effects and end up experiencing them -- psychologically, that is. Then just let the media get that info and -- BAM! -- public outcry and panic = ratings for whatever news outlet and unnecessary worrying/panic/guilt of mothers of kids diagnosed as ADHD.

Bring on the lawsuits. That's another thread altogether... :rolleyes:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1393384127|3623148 said:
I'm astonished at the tone of many posts in this thread - so pissed off and resentful.
I expected more of, "I'm glad for any info that may help our kids be more healthy.
Sheesh!

Shouldn't this have been studied before Acetaminophen was released
?

Acetaminophen has been used for a really long time and has gone under extensive studies. Although very few drugs are studied in pregnant women, this drug has proven safe with no negative side effects for mom or baby for many years. It is the pain reliever of choice in pregnancy.

It's not the FDA that sucks... they're not perfect, but they do everything in their power to protect the public. I blame the media for unnecessary and sometimes dangerous state of public panic. It had long been proven that there was no link in vaccines and autism, but yet the media kept on reporting until parents were afraid to vaccinate their children... those parents thought they were protecting them from autism (because that's what the media preached), but in actuality they were only exposing them and those around them to diseases that could have easily been prevented.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results