shape
carat
color
clarity

PS history and trends: i.e., "I want one too!"

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was thinking today that there have been certain pieces and events that have definitely sparked trends, passions, and a LOT of buying around here. Care to name any?

My earliest recollection of a trend tied to one ring was Reena's cushion halo. That seemed to spark a massive halo'ing of all kinds of cuts.

Coati's James Meyer ring also sent the man to really learn to balance his project calendar! He got BUSY!

Cushions, for some time, also seemed a trend. Moremoremore's three stone cushion ring got a lot of people interested in modern cushions, but then soon chunkier cushions followed.

The ring that shall not be named got people interested in transitionals, I think...but I believe the full on OEC craze came a few years after that...even more so with the finds posted from ebay.

I remember Firegoddess' bezeled diamonds earrings...not sure she was the first, but I certainly jumped on THAT bandwagon! :lol:

And of course, the current earring bandwagon seems to be the IDJ earring jackets! Before that though, there was mad rush for the WF ones.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1342481383|3235056 said:

And of course, the current earring bandwagon seems to be the IDJ earring jackets! Before that though, there was mad rush for the WF ones.

This was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title, and I've wanted a set for a while. I'm glad I waited though, I just got some .67ct each studs from WF, and those are the ones I'll jacket instead of my .42's.

BTW, I was the first to get 8 prong studs from WF, and they started stocking them when I did. Now I see some of them around, so I can claim a tiny trend, right? :naughty: :D

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Great topic!!

Reena's beautiful ring was the first thing I really remember following here on PS. Following soon after was the Legacy craze.

Storm became an amazing expert on asschers (or rather, square emerald cuts). I think this helped with the increased popularity of asschers.

Did LaurenthePartier initiate the popularity of colored stones?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would add asschers as a trend, for a while everyone wanted a diamond asscher. Then Neatfreak's sapphire asscher started the colored stone asscher trend.

I would also add halos in general. And then followed by plain shanked halos.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rose gold!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the top of my mind - they're more recent -

deco's inside milgrain studs
frankie's VC halo
the bgd bezel bracelet craze last year
coati's JM bezel ring was actually the first one I thought of

I think we've been seeing a lot more people experimenting with metal colours recently too - pink after Haven posted her ring, yellow is back, more people leaving their wg unplated :sun:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Colored stones seems to have it's own trends....blue spinels, lavender spinels, mahenge spinels, cuprian tourmalines, tsavorite garnets, spessartites, colored diamonds, etc.

I hang 90% of the time in there, not so much on the rest of the forum, but that's what I've noticed over there.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
OEC's/OMC's/ AVR's/AVC's seem to have surged since I've been on board - October 2011.

And I'm also a victim of the IDJ jacket craze! put them on end of June - haven't taken them off my studs since, other than to be cleaned!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1342485152|3235115 said:
Colored stones seems to have it's own trends....blue spinels, lavender spinels, mahenge spinels, cuprian tourmalines, tsavorite garnets, spessartites, colored diamonds, etc.

I hang 90% of the time in there, not so much on the rest of the forum, but that's what I've noticed over there.

Beat me to it........

I make a prediction....the "new" I want it will be recutting H & S into OEC's!

cheers--Sharon

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
canuk-gal|1342485963|3235131 said:
FrekeChild|1342485152|3235115 said:

Beat me to it........

I make a prediction....the "new" I want it will be recutting H & S into OEC's!

cheers--Sharon

:appl: Dying to do that but just blew the rest of my bling budget today sending off my tiny OECs to be mounted!!! :)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Leon settings and now people are on to the Victor Canera settings. Both make gorgeous settings!!!

ACA and BGD ideal cut stones.

Why can't I make brooches catch on? ;-)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Single diamond pendants. Bezeled single diamond pendants. Bezeled milgrained single diamond pendants.

I know these enjoy some popularity "out there," but believe it or not, most women don't consider these wardrobe essentials! :wink2:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DBTY necklaces.

DBTY bracelets... a "trend" that was destined to be fairly short-lived!

Certain jewelry designers - like Julia Kay Taylor - even I got in on that trend! :wink2:

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy|1342487618|3235156 said:
Leon settings and now people are on to the Victor Canera settings. Both make gorgeous settings!!!

I predict brooches will become popular again. We just need a few PSers to show all the trendy ways to wear them. :wink2:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Skippy said:

I agree, I am interested in seeing brooches and pins come back too. I started a thread on it a while back, and other PSer's did say that they wear them: in their hair, on their coats, etc. So, it's out there, just not in the magazines yet! :)

As far as my idea of a brooch, I've been starting to collect these graphic, retro pieces for no other reason than I think they're cool. Not sure I'll ever wear them, but they are distinctive. They're all over ebay, cheap. For now. ;))

mvc-089f.jpg

mai012.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
From all the threads over in colored stones, I'm pretty sure all the spinels have been cleaned out of Mahenge. :bigsmile:

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I think the very earliest trend I recall was the multiple posters who were inspired by Mara's original wedding set.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Daniel M!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Mahenges, yes, iLander, bought by the bucketload! Blue sapphires too. Hey, I LOVE your kitty brooch -- cute!

--- Laurie

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Fun thread! I have quite a list...

My first day on PS, I discovered I wanted a yellow diamond (I had never heard of them before) in a halo. With melee on the shank.

Then I wanted some martini studs.

Then a pendant with dbty on the chain.

Then step cuts. Asschers. Oh, how I love step cuts.

My next craving was rose gold. Along with diamond hoops - never saw these outside of PS before and I LOVE them.

Then some old mine cuts.

Up next for me was coloured stones - some blue sapphires and an emerald.

In short, my only chance of financial survival was for me to take this job... :bigsmile:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I definitely jumped on the IDJ jackets bandwagon! :bigsmile:

I think the biggest trends I have seen in CS since I joined PS (in early 2010) are asschers, mahenge spinels, and spessartites.

VC's Emilya seems to be quite popular (was Frankie's the first?).

Andelain, your studs pics definitely helped to inspire me to go with the 8-prong settings. And after mine were made, they were posted as stock settings on the BGD site! You must be my studs soulmate - same settings, both H&A, same color, same clarity, just about the same size, and we inspire vendors to make them stock settings :bigsmile:

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Going wayyy back... Mark Morrell's "heart" tipped prongs. And Mark Morrell anything!

Reena's ring really set off the Leon Mege frenzy. After that, there was a whole lot of micropave being paved!

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Did someone mention 5-stones? Or the recent OEC 3-stone craze yet? I'll be the first to admit I'm pretty smitten with both styles!

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely rose gold and the millegrain bezeled studs/pendants :love: I have a serious hankering for both of those and i never have seen either outside of pricescope. This website is legitimately jewelry ****. :Up_to_something:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An "only on PriceScope" mini-trend that I'd love to be a part of some day - diamond eternity toe rings!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems like Victor Canera is the new trend. A few years ago, Leon Mege was the It guy.

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
diamond Huggies from IDJ or WF .
DBTY necklace from WF or IDJ .
recently exchanging RB's for OEC's .

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I predict Mike R will be the next "it" designer for PSers . . .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results