shape
carat
color
clarity

Programmable alarm?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I'm looking for a programmable watch or recordable alarm clock to help my son to independently get up and get ready for work in the morning. Does anyone have a suggestion of something that may work? He has Down syndrome, but has grown to be quite self reliant. We're just working on nurturing that.

I was going to post this in in Family, Home & Health, but that seems to be almost exclusively a baby forum.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm....Does he have an iPad or iPod? Because I use my iPhone alarm as my main alarm, and a regular alarm clock as "backup" daily, and I program everything by weekday/weekend etc.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
He does have an iTouch, but the regular alarm function is too easy for him to just reprogram and ignore. Any suggestions on an app that may be more specific? I'm especially interested in one on which we could record the specific messages: Get up, get dressed, pack your backpack, go wait for the bus.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Upgradable|1359992186|3371883 said:
He does have an iTouch, but the regular alarm function is too easy for him to just reprogram and ignore. Any suggestions on an app that may be more specific? I'm especially interested in one on which we could record the specific messages: Get up, get dressed, pack your backpack, go wait for the bus.
Hmmm...That's a good point. Ill keep looking for ideas.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I will ask my sister, she is a speech pathologist and uses an iPad with a lot of her kids. I would see if there's an alarm that requires a password to change it. Maybe a calendar which has alarms that can be set to go off 5 days of the week?

Edited to add: okay, this is what my sister suggested:

My Voice Alarm is a good one for recording specific messages.

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/myvoicealarm/

I don’t think it allows a user to “lock” the alarm, but an adult could use the “Guided Access” feature on the iPod to limit the ability to escape or reprogram the application. Here's more about Guided Access: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5509 My sister uses Guided Access with the kids that just tap all over the place and press every button possible. It forces them to focus on one game at a time.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Paul is so much more computer savvy than I!

Rubybeth, I'm looking at this app. It looks promising, however I cannot find info about whether it will allow multiple alarms to be set. At this point I'll need four different alerts, with different messages, between 7:00-8:00 in the morning. Might you sister be able to speak to this?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I did some searching and it doesn't look like that app can do multiple alarms, sorry! I wonder, though, about making calendar entries with alarms. Or does it have to be an actual alarm?

I found this, but it's not recordable: http://www.kosherimage.com/kosherclock3.html

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
rubybeth|1360006726|3372088 said:
Ruby, I was checking this one out. I think it may be a great way to try this. If it doesn't work at least I won't be out a lot of money.

Mercoledi, that was another I looked at, but you can only set the beginning time and then it goes off at intervals: every 2hrs, every 4hrs to remind people to take their meds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results