shape
carat
color
clarity

Program vehicles

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Katharath. Tuesday this should be all over..I drove the Durango enough I think, tho we're not getting the one we drove, so we should be ok, no surprises. Better be or I'm just going to start walking.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I don't have any advice buy I wanted to say 10,000 miles is almost nothing for a used vehicle. I wish I could have a car with 10,000 miles. I bought a very well maintained, reliable, durable car with 79,999 miles (it turned over to 80,000 miles when I was driving it home). This was almost two years ago and it has 85,300 miles today. I hope to get 200,000 miles before I have to replace it.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I have not read all of the other replies, and don't know if you've solved your dilemma. I apologize for chiming in so late, but here is my opinion . . . for what it's worth . . . as a former dealership manager.

Program cars can be a very good buy. Full warranty, without the immediate depreciation of buying brand spanking new. And some dealers/manufacturers offer incentives to buy their program cars.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
HollyS|1439352977|3913608 said:
I have not read all of the other replies, and don't know if you've solved your dilemma. I apologize for chiming in so late, but here is my opinion . . . for what it's worth . . . as a former dealership manager.

Program cars can be a very good buy. Full warranty, without the immediate depreciation of buying brand spanking new. And some dealers/manufacturers offer incentives to buy their program cars.

Holly, just for my future reference, would I be correct to assume that all maintenance has been done? I mean let's say a car did have 10,000 miles. That's basically only three oil changes. Thanks.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
jordyonbass|1439156420|3912797 said:
Good to hear you are getting resolution packrat, however I don't think it has anything to do with the dealership as they can only sell the products they receive from the factory. New Jeeps are one of the worst cars on the market; they've had so many issues now here in Australia that I believe consumer watchdogs and authorities may be launching an enquiry into Jeep and parent-company FIAT. It's kind of sad to see as I always wanted a Jeep to tow my boat, but I wouldn't ever consider one now. Even Toyota have had a decline in quality in recent years, something I see as complacency due to having such a good reputation.

Hyundai make really good cars nowadays and represent the best quality for money in my opinion, VW being up there as well. However if you want to know my personal preference I would buy a turbo diesel Isuzu if I could have my choice of any vehicle on the market; they've built trucks for years and know how to build a bulletproof motor. Oh and I need the towing power and space to carry all my boy-toys :lol:

Yes. Hyundai is great. They started a complete company overhaul in 1998. The Hyundai Wikipedia article mentions it. This started to pay off in the early 2000's. The generation before the one before this one was very good. The next generation was even better. The current generation is world class. They knocked Ford from being (I think it is) 4th biggest car maker in global sales (if not 4th it is 5th but I'd have to look it up). Toyota, GM, Honda, Hyundai, Ford? Something like that. I like the previous generation Accent and Sonata and the current generation Accent and Elantra. I've bought two new cars in my life, a Honda an an Audi. They were both (believe it not) 100% reliable, but I don't miss car payments. The interest and the stress aren't worth it to me as opposed to buying used cars and getting the title the same day.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
packrat, Congratulations on your new Durango! This should be a happy experience and I hope it will be! I'm sorry the Jeep was so completely faulty and dangerous and the dealer so completely dishonest and obstinate. I forgot but I actually bought three new cars. One was a lemon. In retrospect it was so unpleasant I don't even think about it as a car I owned. It was a 2000 Subaru and it shook violently. I think it had a bad engine mount. I viscerally hated that car. It also had kitchen sponges instead of brakes. This contributed to me trying to stop in light rain and sliding into the car stopped at a light in front of me at about 15 mph. The police had to be called. My insurance had to fix their car. The whole bit. That was enough. I didn't take it back to the dealer because I knew they would tell me there was nothing wrong with it. I should have but after the accident I just wanted it gone. I was so depressed I got rid of it the fastest way I could by trading it in at a dealer a fraction of what I paid for it toward a another new car. I was never in a similar situation again and I hope you won't be either.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah, if I wanted a used vehicle, 10k miles is nothing..we just didn't want used. I would've just kept my 2004 Escape w/it's low miles-which was my original plan, to keep it until London turned 16, give it to her and then get something nice for myself. I've talked to several people who have Durango's and love them, so hopefully..

JD's renamed the Jeep, Lurch, rather than Toothless, so hopefully this new vehicle will be the right Toothless. I have a little dragon to hang so it better be.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hopefully the new and improved Toothless!

img_8917.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope all goes better this time around!!!

I bumped this because DH wanted this particular vehicle, and we testdrove one we considered buying which was basically a program car/demo. We test drove it the other day. It has a few hundred miles on. They are basically trying to sell this thing as a brand new, off the truck car. Well, I was NOT having it. I lost my shit at the stealership tonight, and we walked out. He loves to negotiate, and I have zero tolerance for games. You either meet me near my asking or we're done. But they simply were not willing to acknowledge that whoever was driving this thing for a month had beaten the crap out of it, broken some part inside of it, and put tons of miles on it. And I was NOT paying for those miles as if it was new. No damn way. And I told them so. And every time I told them anything, they looked at me, and then went back to talking to DH. I basically got up, went to the bathroom, texted him that I was done and ready to go eat. And when I got back to the desk, he was definitely done as well.

So I went to the car, and he was waiting for this idiot to come back from telling his boss we were not close. They chase us to my car, and while I didn't run them over, I had the urge. They seriously stick their arms all up in my car, trying to convince us that this mileage is no big deal, we're only about 200 dollars off and how if it was a dealer trade it would come with 200 miles, and then were going to give us the price that we started at for a NEW off the truck car that was exactly what DH wanted, not this program car that had more than he wanted and wasn't the color he wanted, that if the price was right he'd settle for. We were about $2,000 apart, easily, on this deal. As soon as we got down the road, he realized I was right, and that if he's not getting what he wants, it's not worth it. I am not a fan of this stealership chain anyway, they just happen to be close to us.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
ugh, I *hate* dealing w/them-especially now. I'll never go thru this one again. Please please please don't buy a Jeep Latitude!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat|1441074655|3921946 said:
ugh, I *hate* dealing w/them-especially now. I'll never go thru this one again. Please please please don't buy a Jeep Latitude!!
Oh there's no chance of that happening. There will not be Chrysler product being purchased by me or my husband.

I am so glad he got it together and realized what I was saying though. He was so willing to settle on that car and not a NEW one, that was what he wanted, and I don't get it. I say we just order what he wants on the new model year but whatever.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results