shape
carat
color
clarity

Private Messaging

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
It was not easy decision, folks.
face11.gif
Sorry we disappointed some of you. But we would like to stay on a safe side.

Perhaps in the future we'll build something more advanced. In a meantime, things like diamonds, jewelry, pets, family, etc can be easily discussed on the open forums.

[ added ]

DO NOT post any private email addresses on the open forums

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
I''m being a little..ok really nosy..hehe. But, what sort of security concerns were there?
33.gif

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, I didn''t realize PMs would be gone by today. I had asked for a lot of help and advice regarding diamonds/rings, and I''d wanted to keep them for reference. Any chance we can still get a copy of what we had? If I''d known, I would''ve saved them yesterday.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 12:09:28 PM
Author: Kim N
Aww, I didn''t realize PMs would be gone by today. I had asked for a lot of help and advice regarding diamonds/rings, and I''d wanted to keep them for reference. Any chance we can still get a copy of what we had? If I''d known, I would''ve saved them yesterday.
I''ll see if we can give an access to the archived messages but cannot guarantee.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Leonid/Irina. I''d really appreciate it. I would love to be able to reference my old messages.

slammie

Shiny_Rock
no wonder!! I thought I was going nuts. Anyway, Kim did you get my PM yesterday?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I did, Slammie--thanks for the quick note!

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Oh lmurden I can''t PM you anymore!
39.gif
39.gif

Some sort of message archiving feature would be nice!
35.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 12:10:03 PM
Author: Pricescope
That''s why they are concerns - because they are security.

Care to elaborate? I always assumed that PMs along with everything else are not secure channels.

It''s too bad because PMs are part of the fun!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is any of our private info in danger or been compromised?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 1:19:03 PM
Date: 2/9/2006 12:52:06 PM

Author: mrssalvo

Is any of our private info in danger or been compromised?
No.

ok, thanks
1.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 12:39:54 PM
Author: Rank Amateur

Date: 2/9/2006 12:10:03 PM
That's why they are concerns - because they are security.

Care to elaborate? I always assumed that PMs along with everything else are not secure channels.

It's too bad because PMs are part of the fun!
Hey RA, travelling if fun too - taking you shoes off at the airport is inconvenience.
We are sorry for inconvenience.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I understand security issues, but it sure would have been nice to have a little bit of warning so folks who normally PM could have time to exchange regular email addresses.....

Also, I agree on getting access to previous messages. I saved mine for reference too....

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 1:58:35 PM
Author: IslandDreams
I understand security issues, but it sure would have been nice to have a little bit of warning so folks who normally PM could have time to exchange regular email addresses.....

Also, I agree on getting access to previous messages. I saved mine for reference too....
Ditto that, IslandDreams. I wish I had thought to save the important stuff.
32.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am probably in the minority, but I actually appreciate not having PM''s available as a vendor. The current system does not allow me to keep track of messages that I send out unless I get the sendor to switch to email, and when making quotes it is nice to have that reference to what was said rather than having to redo all of the work on a quote when someone calls back in three to five weeks or longer.

I suspect it will put a screeching halt to vendors contacting someone who is asking for help on open channel via PM''s rather than answering the question on open channel, which keeps this board closer to being a true consumer information gathering place as you have tried so hard to keep it.

I do have one question. Many of the people who post here become very good friends and would like to have contact with one another outside of Pricescope. How will they arrange for contact? Obviously it is easy for us vendors as you have graciously allowed us to have our website addresses attached to our posts, but will there be any way for consumers to establish contact with one another if they choose to do so?

Wink

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
But how will we be able to talk about each other behind each other''s back?? Just kidding!!

It must be very hard to "police" an endeavor like Pricescope and if this is something that needs to be done to protect the integrity of the forum and the privacy of members - so be it!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2006 1:58:35 PM
Author: IslandDreams

I agree 100% - on both points.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 2:16:54 PM
Author: decodelighted

It must be very hard to ''police'' an endeavor like Pricescope and if this is something that needs to be done to protect the integrity of the forum and the privacy of members - so be it!
very well said deco. i agree.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I WISH someone would explain to me what the "security issues" are regarding the PM system.

I've never received (or sent, I hope) any objectionable PMs, and the only 'sensitive' information I've ever sent anyone was my email address...and I did that knowing and accepting that there might be some risk.

Maybe if I better understood the reasoning behind this decision, I'd feel better about it.

widget

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Shoot!

I would also love to see my archived messages, but I do understand the need to take security measures....I''ve been off line for over a week, so I apologize to whomever I didn''t reply to in the 3 unread PMs I didn''t read!

:)

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
I hardly ever get PMs so it doesn''t really affect me. Hope it solves the security problem though, whatever it may be. I''m curious as to what it is though.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
here''s my guess (i think i''m 99.9% correct
16.gif
)....the boss has been getting too much complain from members about harassment and gossiping through PM.soon or later these kind of things was bond to happen, especialy when you have a 75% women members.
9.gif

for the record....although a lot of women on PS would love to punch me in the nose
9.gif
i have NEVER EVER receive a single harassment through PM, from any members.i hope big "L" give us back PM, although i hardly ever use it ..... LUNCH TIME
36.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Registration/location information seems to be gone too.

Glad I didn''t try to set up a DC-area meeting at the Chantilly gem show next week. Maybe next time we can all just meet up at Quest.
28.gif

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Oh sheesh what a bummer...thank you for protecting our safety/privacy though. Is there a way maybe that you could restrict PMs for users authorized to contact one another. E.G. if on a thread two members agree to PM could they do so? Sometimes newbies feel safer approaching a veteran member with what they think might be a "stupid" question via PM. More people may remain in lurkdom because of this. Working in tech, I understand the risks just wondering if there is some sort of work around?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leonid/Irina, thank you!

Slammie, I only just saw your PM from yesterday just now when Leonid or Irina gave us access to the PMs. The one I thought you meant was actually from 2/7. Thanks so much for your help.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with the suggestion that it might be cattyness from a huge group of women.

I''ve never had trouble, but flyfisher made a stupid comment, apologized, and some witch PMed him with a totally childish and inapproriate message. Once again though, he the guy was unruffled, and I was ready to spit nails.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results