shape
carat
color
clarity

Private Messaging

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
it just dawned on me that we will no longer be able to help post photos for those who can''t figure it out
8.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I''d like to thank everyone in hind-sight for not hate-pming me for anything ever.
35.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Leonid/Irina for both protecting us and the access so we may archieve items!!!

AmberWaves - Hahahaha... yes, i would like to second that.
36.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 2:39:56 PM
Author: widget

I''ve never received (or sent, I hope) any objectionable PMs
Widget, that is probably because you normally is not "looking for...", we use to receive reports (from newbies mostly) about spam thou private messaging. Most people do not like solicitation.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 2:57:12 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
here''s my guess (i think i''m 99.9% correct
16.gif
)....the boss has been getting too much complain from members about harassment and gossiping through PM.soon or later these kind of things was bond to happen, especialy when you have a 75% women members.
9.gif

for the record....although a lot of women on PS would love to punch me in the nose
9.gif
i have NEVER EVER receive a single harassment through PM, from any members.i hope big ''L'' give us back PM, although i hardly ever use it ..... LUNCH TIME
36.gif

I thought the PMing tool was quite useful, especially if you just wanted to ask one person, one question without crowding the board with useless threads.

I understand the need for "security" whatever that may mean, but if its simply what''s listed above, gossiping and such, I hardly call that "security" issues. I am/was a member of one of the largest internet forums, and I''m friends with many of the moderators/admins/owner. Since those boards are composed of a lot of teenages, harassing PMs are definitely an issue, so I can understand the problem with that. However, if that''s the only concern, wouldn''t there be other options, such as member probation/suspention? That''s what many forums do when members aren''t as "friendly" as they should be.

In any event, I am thankful you''re doing what you can to ensure the boards stay a safe place for all of us.
1.gif

Though, like everyone else, I am a bit sad that I won''t be able to contact members that were helping me with a few non-diamond issues.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to the adminstrators for letting us have our old archives!!

Just a suggestion and this would probably create more work for you guys..but if spam from newbies is the problem..maybe you could just restrict PM abilities to Ideal Rocks? Just a thought.
35.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 3:52:13 PM
Author: mrssalvo
it just dawned on me that we will no longer be able to help post photos for those who can''t figure it out
8.gif
It''s a bummer, mrssalvo, i agree and i appreciate all the help you and other Samaritans have provided to newbies.
Please report any post with such question to us and i will be happy to post pictures myself.
I realise it more work for me without your help, but prefer this kind of trouble over the other.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 4:07:34 PM
Author: Princess V

Just a suggestion and this would probably create more work for you guys..but if spam from newbies is the problem..maybe you could just restrict PM abilities to Ideal Rocks? Just a thought.
35.gif

I think it was a problem of people spamming newbies, actually. Or at least that's my understanding of it. I still like the idea of account suspensions. For example, if someone sends a mean PM or spams someone through several PMs, you can suspend that person's account so they can't post for a week or longer, depending on the offense. Though, I am not sure whether or not this kind of board could support that.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 4:18:19 PM
Author: XChick03

35.gif

I think it was a problem of people spamming newbies, actually. Or at least that''s my understanding of it. I still like the idea of account suspensions. For example, if someone sends a mean PM or spams someone through several PMs, you can suspend that person''s account so they can''t post for a week or longer, depending on the offense. Though, I am not sure whether or not this kind of board could support that.
We do not want to be in a judging position, telling people who deserve to have the option, who don''t.
And with board growing it''s harder and harder to play a policemen, most of the big boards don''t have a PM system BTW.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PM flied away while I was writing one...and Puff! - hit 'Send' and got into my PS profile page instead of PMs.
23.gif
I thought I've been banned from the forum or something. Scary moment, I'm telling you.

Like many wrote here, I was definitely not overwhelmed by bad karma over PM. In fact, if I ever got spam here, I don't remember. A few 'newbies' only wrote PMs and no posts, and I was as happy to write that as to post on the forum. There have been very few though and all of the pleasant kind.

I wish I could give a contact of some sort online (IM contact?), but if not appropriate... that's that.
7.gif

Whoever has my e-mail address already, please feel free to give it around or treat it as you wish otherwise.

There is one thing in particular about this PM cut:
38.gif

Well, more than once I had invited and received corrections to the amateurish stuff I keep writing. Thank you very much for all, and please do write the same - good, bad and ugly, on the forum.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
.maybe you could just restrict PM abilities to Ideal Rocks? Just a thought.
35.gif

would that be possible? would that even eliminate the problems?

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 4:25:58 PM
Author: Pricescope
Date: 2/9/2006 4:18:19 PM

Author: XChick03
I think it was a problem of people spamming newbies, actually. Or at least that's my understanding of it. I still like the idea of account suspensions. For example, if someone sends a mean PM or spams someone through several PMs, you can suspend that person's account so they can't post for a week or longer, depending on the offense. Though, I am not sure whether or not this kind of board could support that.
We do not want to be in a judging position, telling people who deserve to have the option, who don't.

And with board growing it's harder and harder to play a policemen, most of the big boards don't have a PM system BTW.

I can understand that, but I was more or less referring a sort of probation, when a member breaks a rule, they first get a warning, then if they continue with their bad behavior, they get probation where they can't post for a few days.

But I can see why you wouldn't want to do that and I'm just glad you are concerned about the board and members' well being.
1.gif

Why not add a few moderators to help you keep an eye on things? People who've been around for a while and are very nice, fair people.

Also, the board I was referring to around 25k acting members (last I checked and not including those who don't post or have been banned) and over 300k threads and has a working PM system. Though, they also have the option to disable PMs if you don't want them, around 20 moderators all together (most are assigned to a particular forum), and 4 admins. But all of that would be a little much for a board like this and kind of takes away the "community" feel which is one of the things that makes this board so great.

ETA: 3 times and I still can't type correctly.
20.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
All the boards are different, our specific is that we are (were?
9.gif
) diamond-related, which can be translated "spam-attracting".

So, no personal contacts, including IM is allowed, signature permitted for experts web sites (advertisers or not), and our brides can sign with their wedding sites.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2006 4:33:54 PM
Author: mrssalvo

.maybe you could just restrict PM abilities to Ideal Rocks? Just a thought.

would that be possible? would that even eliminate the problems?

I do get Irina(?)'s point about the democracy aspect of exclusive forum function...

But I used to see you guys online for so long it feels like some wall has suddenly risen
23.gif
Even if my PM wasn't that busy overall.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2006 4:46:10 PM

9.gif
) diamond-related

Not getting that... and the grinning smiley beggs a question
2.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 4:46:10 PM
9.gif
) diamond-related, which can be translated ''spam-attracting''.

So, no personal contacts, including IM is allowed, signature permitted for experts web sites (advertisers or not), and our brides can sign with their wedding sites.
Ah...I see the dilemma this creates. I guess I never realized that there was a spam problem since all the PMs I''ve received are nice ones! Well, I''m sorry to see PM go
7.gif
but I definitely understand why!

Ana, you can ''spam'' me anytime!
41.gif
(Sorry! Had to throw that in!)

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I guess we explained as much as we could by this time.
Please address the rest of the questions to Admin. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results