shape
carat
color
clarity

Private jewellery sale, how do you ensure safety?

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

Just wondering for people who sell jewellery occasionally, if a buyer wants to meet up to do the transaction, how can you do this safely?

Is it possible to have a jeweller oversee the transaction for a fee? If so, how much would the fee be? This is given that you already have an interested buyer ready to purchase.

I know some people meet at cafés, but if you wanted to have a more secure area, does anyone have any potential advice for options?

Thank you.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meet up? In a bank or police station, where it's safe with cameras and security guards to exchange the $.
That's the ONLY way I would ever do it with someone I don't know.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Madeleise, they were two options I had thought of as well.

I was just trying to think of the logistics with how one would look hanging out in the foyer of the police station or bank to transact a sale...without looking odd to passersby.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Meet at a bank. Inside. Best way to do it. Person would have to be an idiot to do anything in a bank .
Don't worry how it looks. Go in, take a seat. If you are approached just say you are waiting for someone. Then transact. And then leave. :wavey:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Good advice. Not the foyer; that's no safer than the sidewalk. Banks always have chairs you can sit in, some have tables. I wouldn't do it anywhere else either. So how are they going to pay you? If anything but cash, I wouldn't meet at all -- you'd need to wait till the payment cleared just as if you were mailing the piece. I'm not sure I'd want to do it in person anyway; it feels a little creepy to me.

--- Laurie

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Gypsy.

Laurie, why do you think it is creepy? Do you think all private sales should be done online without viewing it?

I would prefer not to have to meet in person but the buyer wants to see the item before purchasing it.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Well, I think it partly depends on how expensive the item is. I have sold a number of pieces of jewelry on Craigslist- Tiffany and David Yurman mainly. I only accept cash and I've generally met at cafes (I always try to take my husband with me!!) and a couple of times in a Mall. The most expensive transaction I did this way was for $1800.00. But I also try to screen the inquiries, too. I don't even bother answering the ones that seem "off" to me or that my intuition says to stay away from. I once had a guy ask to meet me in the parking lot of a McDonalds, but I insisted on meeting inside. That one I was a little apprehensive about, but the dollar amount wasn't that high and he turned out OK. And the McDonalds was VERY crowded.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Hi Pink Jewel, so more expensive would you think more reasonable to show them the item in person? Or more expensive, more reason to keep it at arms length?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a buyer I'd think more expensive would make me want to meet in person, esp if there are no returns. I sold off a few rings a couple years ago and would just meet people in busy public locations, like a cafe or shopping centre. They weren't very expensive though, a couple hundred max.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
BC, I can understand the buyer's desire to see the item first, of course. I guess it's just my apprehension these days of meeting with total strangers concerning something of value. In one way it could be better than through the mails, in that they don't have to know where you live if the transaction is in cash -- so it prevents the icky possibility of someone's breaking in to see if you have more pricey stuff. In a bank would be as safe as humanly possible. I don't know where you advertised it, but there are so many weirdos roaming Craig's List & newspaper ads, etc. Also genuine folks, of course, so I'm probably just creepy by nature. ;-)

--- Laurie

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I've met several people at banks. If I'm the seller, I pick my bank so I can deposit the cash right away. If I'm the buyer, we usually go to their bank so they can deposit the cash right away. I've purchased one ring at the police station. The staff/officers are usually very nice and will leave you alone but still keep an eye on you, so I felt safe. My in-person transactions ranged from $1400 to $4000. For that amount of money, I didn't feel safe meeting at a cafe or mall because who knows if someone is going to approach you afterwards to rob you?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Forte kitty said it better than I could. Transact somewhere you would feel safe counting money out in the open. A police station is a good idea as well. That wouldn't have occurred to me.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
bliss_cathy|1408626835|3736769 said:
Hi Pink Jewel, so more expensive would you think more reasonable to show them the item in person? Or more expensive, more reason to keep it at arms length?
Well,I meant neither actually. Sorry I should have explained it better. I would think since items are usually a final sale a buyer will want to examine them in person whether they are more expensive or not. I meant if items are lower value (under $2000.00) I've felt OK meeting in a public place that I choose. If it were more than that (which I have not personally sold myself)- I think it's a good idea to meet at a bank or police station.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You might consider meeting at an appraiser's office if it is convenient and they have proper security (cameras, etc). Over the years we have provided a safe and secure office for consumers to transact as well as have us check and verify the item before purchase. It's not something we do everyday, but it is a service that we provide and we charge just for the time it takes for you to complete the deal.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if I would feel comfortable doing it anywhere. I have heard horror stories of the seller being followed home after the sale. I know most people are good, but it's the few bad ones that spoil it and make me apprehensive.

I once was going to sell to someone locally from PS, but I was nervous about it the entire time. In the end, buyer backed out and I got more money anyway selling it online.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the replies everyone, my update is that the buyer didn't show up! After numerous emails, texts and even a phone call confirming times, on the day we were meant to meet he went radio silent.

I'm quite relieved in a way because I wasn't too comfortable meeting in person.

At least I've learnt a lot as well, if it arises again. I'm pretty sure it will be a bank.

My husband and I were even wondering whether or not he may have been dodgy and that's why he didn't show? But more than likely he was just a flake.

As Laila said, I'm not too worried about selling it to someone else online, but I'm a bit annoyed at the rudeness of it all! Especially with all the opportunities he had to say he couldn't make it. He didn't even text or ring later to apologise!!! So so rude. Oh well!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I'm sorry bliss Cathy. How rude and what a waste of time! If I recall correctly, my buyer cancelled on me the night before or the day of. Oh well, I am sure you will find someone else. Lots of luck!

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Laila, sorry to hear about your flake too. I couldn't believe the rudeness. So extremely inconsiderate. One would think I was operating a boutique, not a private sale where we had gone out of our way to meet him.

Like most people here, I know my item will sell, so I'd honestly prefer not to deal with cash on delivery situations. So I confirmed again and again giving him so many options to cancel, as my weekends are very precious!!! And he flakes!

Grrr

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results