shape
carat
color
clarity

Pretty Woman moment at local jewelery store

agapitor

Shiny_Rock
Yesterday, I went to a local jewelry store to buy my mom a birthday present. One of my co-workers wanted to come along since she's hoping to get engaged soon. Her SO has given her the green light to look for settings and diamonds that she'd like and this particular store has a gallery of settings with CZ that anybody can just try on without having to ask a clerk for help. While she browsed I purchased the present for my mom and joined her. She found a couple of really nice pave setting and I told her we should look at the ones in the encased glass to see the real stones. We found one and my friend asked the lady to try it on. The lady kind of scoffed and said "it's very expensive" and that it was the most expensive ring in the store because it was internal flawless and she went on and on about how it was the best ring. My friend awkwardly said ok.. but that she would still like to try it on. The diamond on the setting was a little over 1ct and the lady said it cost $21K. I asked to borrow her loupe and sure it was a nice stone no inclusions but I thought my BGD had sharper arrows. The clerk really frustrated me. Why would anyone in the service industry treat a potential client like that. For the record, my friend's SO makes a decent living and could actually afford a $21K ring but she told him not to spend too much as she'd rather have money to renovate their house.

I told DH about the incident and he told me that when I get my ring I should go back and pull a pretty woman and ask the clerk if she worked and commission and that she made a "huge .. huge mistake".. of course I won't. But has anyone else had this experience? Do you think it's profiling?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have had that happen to me even before Pretty Woman and even after. I always assumed it was my age, until it happened to me again a 34. The clerk was either really lazy or maybe had had a "real" customer show interest and was holding it for them. Yes, I know, your friend was a real customer, but clerks are ridiculous like that. Anyway, I've pledged that the next time it happens to me, I am going to say something along the lines of, "guess what - I have more than enough money to spend here, but you just missed your chance." And maybe even complain to their manager. Nobody should have to feel like that when they're doing something that should be joyful.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
When I'm treated poorly at a store I don't make it a point to say "Too bad for you, I can more than afford this but now I'm not gonna buy it!!" (not that you did, just saying). To me that's answering rude with more rude.

There's nothing wrong with being direct and saying "I like this ring and want to try it on. Why do you assume I can't afford to buy it?" I've said that before at a jewelry store and the woman was really embarrassed, but maybe that will make her think twice about how she's treating potential buyers.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yeah, maybe it's treating rude with rude, but I have a hard time rewarding someone with a commission if they have decided I wasn't worthy of their time to begin with.

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
Nashville said:
When I'm treated poorly at a store I don't make it a point to say "Too bad for you, I can more than afford this but now I'm not gonna buy it!!" (not that you did, just saying). To me that's answering rude with more rude.

There's nothing wrong with being direct and saying "I like this ring and want to try it on. Why do you assume I can't afford to buy it?" I've said that before at a jewelry store and the woman was really embarrassed, but maybe that will make her think twice about how she's treating potential buyers.

This is exactly what I am going to say next time, thanks Nashville!!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nobody has done that to me. . .more I experience the "here fill out our credit application." I must appear that I don't have the money but probably have good credit. lol

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've gotten it, too. I think lazy clerks are just trying to avoid having to do any work, and thus, discouraging any customers who they don't think will be buying then and there. Very stupid of them, especially if they DO work on commission ....

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i wanted to try on a Rolex watch and the SA said...are you ready for Rolex?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe said:
I've gotten it, too. I think lazy clerks are just trying to avoid having to do any work, and thus, discouraging any customers who they don't think will be buying then and there. Very stupid of them, especially if they DO work on commission ....
Maybe it's the time of day? I always go in the morning while kids are in school, so the clerks are probably bored and that is why they help me. What bugs me is when I look around and realize that everything is crap and try and walk away and the clerk traps me and won't let me go. Once I did do the credit application, but that was 16 years ago (lol)!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A bit off topic: I used to see my dad every other weekend, and he was such a good dad that he would let me visit sparkly stores all over town (he lived in the huge town of Bakersfield ;-)) and I can't tell you how many times we'd get trapped in stores with the SA's who were trying to make a big engagement ring sale thinking he was my FI. I was 15! I still get the heeby jeebies thinking about that.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Don't know if this applies by my fiance gets turned down in certain bars and clubs because he's black(yes...it's because he's black). It's a big mistake because he makes a VERY good living and he usually buys drinks for the group we show up with. Between him and some of the other people we're with, the bar would be making a few hundred, but...they get turned away. tsk tsk

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a semi-pretty woman moment with a new SA at my favorite jewelry store a couple of years ago. I had taken my tennis bracelet in to be repaired and had gotten a call that it was ready. My regular SA wasn't there, so I told the new SA that I had come to get my bracelet. She went to get it, and and after a minute she came back out and said "It isn't in the safe on this floor. Is it expensive?"
I smiled and said "Expensive is a relative term." Then she went upstairs to look in the safe on the 2nd floor. When she came back down with the bracelet, her jaw had nearly dropped down to her kneecap. :devil:

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
Does anybody know if Tiffany employees get paid commission? I get treated like crap every nearly time I walk in there.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
agapitor said:
Yesterday, I went to a local jewelry store to buy my mom a birthday present. One of my co-workers wanted to come along since she's hoping to get engaged soon. Her SO has given her the green light to look for settings and diamonds that she'd like and this particular store has a gallery of settings with CZ that anybody can just try on without having to ask a clerk for help. While she browsed I purchased the present for my mom and joined her. She found a couple of really nice pave setting and I told her we should look at the ones in the encased glass to see the real stones. We found one and my friend asked the lady to try it on. The lady kind of scoffed and said "it's very expensive" and that it was the most expensive ring in the store because it was internal flawless and she went on and on about how it was the best ring. My friend awkwardly said ok.. but that she would still like to try it on. The diamond on the setting was a little over 1ct and the lady said it cost $21K. I asked to borrow her loupe and sure it was a nice stone no inclusions but I thought my BGD had sharper arrows. The clerk really frustrated me. Why would anyone in the service industry treat a potential client like that. For the record, my friend's SO makes a decent living and could actually afford a $21K ring but she told him not to spend too much as she'd rather have money to renovate their house.

I told DH about the incident and he told me that when I get my ring I should go back and pull a pretty woman and ask the clerk if she worked and commission and that she made a "huge .. huge mistake".. of course I won't. But has anyone else had this experience? Do you think it's profiling?

My first thought was the scene in PW where he presents the necklace and snaps the box. So I thought you were gonna write about a cute experience. Some SA's should get off their "pedistools" and treat each customer as a potential sale - unless they know otherwise.

MB: I laughed at your expensive is relative comment - love your style!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
oranges said:
Does anybody know if Tiffany employees get paid commission? I get treated like crap every nearly time I walk in there.

I'm wondering the same thing about Neiman Marcus.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
oranges said:

I can't remember - there is an ex T&Co employee on tPF who posts about the ins and outs of Tiff's. Am I right in thinking they have an overall personal target and a store target but not a % in the regular way?

When I shop in boutiques I tend to leave the parka and jeans at home - I don't know if that makes a difference but I have always been treated with promt attention in any 'higher end store'. Plus I don't window shop, I go right up and ask for the next available SA.

Perhaps you could try a different T&Co Store?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire said:

:-o :rolleyes:

I would have stuck him/her out on the ledge and said - what did they mean by that? Let the squirming begin....

agapitor

Shiny_Rock
My first thought was the scene in PW where he presents the necklace and snaps the box. So I thought you were gonna write about a cute experience. Some SA's should get off their "pedistools" and treat each customer as a potential sale - unless they know otherwise.

ooohh I love that scene!My children watched my husband do that to me once (not a new jewelry but just an empty box :cheeky: ) but the boys love it they do it to me every time they have see a jewelry box.

Don't know if this applies by my fiance gets turned down in certain bars and clubs because he's black(yes...it's because he's black). It's a big mistake because he makes a VERY good living and he usually buys drinks for the group we show up with. Between him and some of the other people we're with, the bar would be making a few hundred, but...they get turned away. tsk tsk
Funny you should say this, I'm Filipino and my friend is Caucasian but my DH who is also Caucasian did bring it up. He suggested that maybe it was a location where lots of Filipinos try on jewelry and don't end up buying anything. But I did point out to him that it was my friend who tried the ring on. Also, since we were coming from work, we were dressed pretty professionally. My friend is 29 and I'm 35 but very petite so often mistaken as a lot younger.. I'm thinking this may also have been a factor.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Bleed Burnt Orange said:
:-o :errrr: :nono:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Upgradable said:
Bleed Burnt Orange said:
:-o :errrr: :nono:

Actually my experience is that if I'm looking at jewelry by myself or with another female friend, we get little to no service, but if I'm with my hubby, they immediately flock over because the assumption is that "the man" would purchase whatever catches my eye.

At Tiffany's I get help if I'm looking at less expensive sterling silver pieces, but if I want real attention in the diamond jewelry section, the best way is to have dh along for the ride.

So IMO, it's not about race, or age, or how wealthy you appear, it's more about societal expectations.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire said:

:errrr: Are you serious? Did you tell her that your Rolexes are your 'every day' watches and you only wear the good stuff when you're in a good mood? Btw, my dad loves the watch in your avatar... Very elegant. Probably cost more than that Sales Assistant's car... If only she knew!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Madam Bijoux said:
I had a semi-pretty woman moment with a new SA at my favorite jewelry store a couple of years ago. I had taken my tennis bracelet in to be repaired and had gotten a call that it was ready. My regular SA wasn't there, so I told the new SA that I had come to get my bracelet. She went to get it, and and after a minute she came back out and said "It isn't in the safe on this floor. Is it expensive?"
I smiled and said "Expensive is a relative term." Then she went upstairs to look in the safe on the 2nd floor. When she came back down with the bracelet, her jaw had nearly dropped down to her kneecap. :devil:

I would've loved to see that!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bleed Burnt Orange said:
Wow :( Where do you live?

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Madam Bijoux said:

It's probably the hot pink housecoat that made them think otherwise. :naughty:

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I have this happen often. (Well, at least when I was a bit younger I did). DH dresses in t-shirt and jeans always, so we don't really "look like" we have much money to speak of. People have been rude or ignored us and I used to just ignore them back, however I got sick of it and started calling owners and managers and complaining about service, and also started being snotty right back to them. I remember one day DH and I were browsing the watch counter at Macy's. He really wants this particular Movado watch (pretty expensive) and I decided to just splurge and buy it for him just because... The lady at the counter refused to even look at us! Some old lady walked up about 5 minutes after we had been patiently waiting for help, and she walked right over ans served her. I loudly said something to the effect of "Well, I guess they really didn't want an extra $2600.00 today!" and walked away. Jerk.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
MC said:
Bleed Burnt Orange said:
Wow :( Where do you live?

Houston! It happened in Austin too. It happens so much so that he and his brother need to wear certain jeans and pretty much make sure they are well dressed, better than other patrons. There is one bar that I HATE because my FI, who dresses well, couldn't get in because he was wearing white sneakers, when another guy got in wearing shorts and work out sneakers. This is not an upscale place. This is a place that we've watched football games at before on a Saturday afternoon!

They've had bouncers say to them that their managers only want a certain ratio of a certain type of people in there. I get the girl to guy ratio, but I don't get the, "you're not dressed properly" when another guy of a different race may be wearing the same if not WORSE clothes.

It's ridiculous... :???: Sadly, it's expected by us and accepted by society.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie said:
Dancing Fire said:

:errrr: Are you serious? Did you tell her that your Rolexes are your 'every day' watches and you only wear the good stuff when you're in a good mood? Btw, my dad loves the watch in your avatar... Very elegant. Probably cost more than that Sales Assistant's car... If only she knew!
i always get better service when i wore my Rolex... ::)

DSCN306h.JPG

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tiffany sales associates are paid by commission. My sister's coworker worked at Tiffany in LA and once made a $37k commission on an engagement ring. However, he also said it was the worst place he had ever worked and he gained literally 100 pounds in a year from stress eating. The other salespeople were horribly backstabbing, would steal customers from each other, etc., and management was very high pressure.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2 said:
Tiffany sales associates are paid by commission. My sister's coworker worked at Tiffany in LA and once made a $37k commission on an engagement ring. However, he also said it was the worst place he had ever worked and he gained literally 100 pounds in a year from stress eating. The other salespeople were horribly backstabbing, would steal customers from each other, etc., and management was very high pressure.
i need to get a job at Tiff :!:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire said:
thing2of2 said:
i need to get a job at Tiff :!:

You and me BOTH! We'd be the Dream Team! You'd help the Republicans, I'd help the Democrats! :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results