shape
carat
color
clarity

Preloved influencing buying habits?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
We've had preloved for a while now, and I'm wondering how much it's influenced PSers when it comes to buying stuff they weren't PLANNING on buying.

I see this working two ways...buying off preloved when you see a piece you're drawn to, as well as buying a piece off ebay (or whatever) that you may not have normally, figuring that if you don't like it, you can SELL on preloved.

If it has influenced your buying, are you glad or do you think you need to cut yourself off?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me, neither has spawned any incremental buying (my buy off ebay was a calculated march toward a ring I was planning to mark a big birthday). HOWEVER, I will say that I think at some point it may. The temptation is a LOT higher than it used to be because I love jewelry AND a bargain.

For me, most of the temptation comes from what I see posted on preloved. I'm less inclined to take a chance on something on ebay thinking I will sell it later if I tire of it.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...I don't think it's really influenced me, because the 2 things I've purchased through DB were for events I was already planning to buy a piece of jewelry for. The fact that they were super discounted Leon Mege rings was just icing on the cake! :naughty:

I'm actually not an impulse buyer of jewelry (or really anything) at ALL, even when it's a screaming deal. I'm super picky and not a lot of things are my style, so I don't have too hard of a time resisting stuff on Pre-Loved, at sales, etc. If I do find something I love AND it's on sale there is really no stopping me! :cheeky:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I look for fun but have only bought one thing; I think I am kind of like Thing in being picky.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm lucky because I have Sasquatch fingers, so most things aren't even in the realm of possibility for moi. The one thing I've bought on DB, I fully intend to re-sell ... as it doesn't really work on me in *practice*. Think I'm a touchy-feely-need-to-try things in person gal. Ebay & DB & custom just ain't my bags, babinos!

Meet me @ CARTIER? :naughty: :rodent: :lickout: :$$):

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I bought more off DB before there was a pre-loved forum here. It's too competitive now and the stuff I love get snapped up immediately!

That said, I shouldn't be buying anything for the rest of my life. Just tally'd up my total jewelry expenditure and it's not pretty. Time to comb thru the list and sell more stuff, because it's really getting ridiculous. :nono:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm less of an impulse buyer on diamond bistro now than I was before the preloved forum, and the forum has something to do with that: I find the amount of stuff I see on pre-loved to be somewhat sobering, especially when it involves pieces whose initial purchases were much discussed, anticipated, and oohed and aaahed here on PS.

Of course the other damping factor is the amount of stuff already sitting in my jewelry box, some of it from DB! :wink2:

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
VRBeauty|1342731683|3236794 said:
I find the amount of stuff I see on pre-loved to be somewhat sobering, especially when it involves pieces whose initial purchases were much discussed, anticipated, and oohed and aaahed here on PS.

This. It really made me stop and think about the whole process. I love looking though! :lickout:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I love looking at DB & pre-loved but have only bought one stone. Knowing I can't send it back makes me hesitate more. It's tempting SO often because there's nothing more fun than getting a deal, but then I think of the pile of little boxes waiting for settings. It's getting ridiculous!

--- Laurie

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't bought anything through DB, but now that we have the pre-loved section on PS I *would* buy something on DB if the right piece came along. Before the pre-loved section I would have stuck to my local jeweler or a trusted PS vendor. So, it may influence me by encouraging me to buy a used piece that I wouldn't have otherwise purchased.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
tammy77|1342732360|3236799 said:
I find the amount of stuff I see on pre-loved to be somewhat sobering, especially when it involves pieces whose initial purchases were much discussed, anticipated, and oohed and aaahed here on PS.
This. It really made me stop and think about the whole process. I love looking though! :lickout:
+1. Do still browse but kinda feel sick & guilty about it afterwards. Troubling to see so many people going through hard times -- or --enabling a never-ending shopping cycle. At least on Ebay you don't "know" the folks, or know any of the backstories. Double edged sword for sure.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm really really REALLY tired of selling stuff, and I just want it to be over. I've basically cleaned out my gem box and my jewelry box to what I consider essentials (other, normal people would consider me to have an outrageous amount of jewelry!) and I cannot wait to be done. I'm so done, I'm considering scrapping it all so I don't have to think about it anymore!

As far as buying, if it isn't on my list (which is very very small now) it's not even going to catch my eye!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not much of a jewelry wearer or buyer and am only wanting two things...both I could have gotten a good deal when the pre-loved first started up, but now the exact same items are going for quite a bit more than I'd want to pay. For that, I'd rather wait until I can save up the funds to guarantee the stones are not chipped or damaged and go lower in color or size to offset the price. Plus, I would have original documentation and upgrade options.

I won't be buying anything any time soon - hopefully, can swing something for my 40th b-day... probably end up being my 41st b-day.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1342733330|3236813 said:
+1. Do still browse but kinda feel sick & guilty about it afterwards. Troubling to see so many people going through hard times -- or --enabling a never-ending shopping cycle. At least on Ebay you don't "know" the folks, or know any of the backstories. Double edged sword for sure.
This is a really interesting point. I don't browse the pre-loved section enough to notice that people unload a lot of what they buy, but now that you bring it up it does say something about the whole jewelry-buying process, doesn't it?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1342735758|3236846 said:
This is a really interesting point. I don't browse the pre-loved section enough to notice that people unload a lot of what they buy, but now that you bring it up it does say something about the whole jewelry-buying process, doesn't it?

Some people like to shop. Some people like turnover. Some people like turning over their jewellery. Nothing wrong or sobering about seeing much-discussed/anticipated/ooh'd- and aah'd-over pieces listed unless you know that dire circumstances are driving the sale... otherwise it's just people project their own sentiments onto others who may well legitimately feel very differently.

I haven't sold anything. I'm a hoarder and I can justify it by noting that the longer I hold onto stuff the more it's worth :halo: I also haven't bought anything - I know exactly what I want and I'm generally not tempted by other stuff.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I will always be in the market for "something", whether new or Estate--if I find it here great. I own a radiant cut diamond and buy Tiffany jewellery. Knowing what people think of those two items (here)--clearly I am not influenced by PS! :cheeky: :bigsmile: :devil: :rodent:

cheers--Sharon

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1342737366|3236870 said:
Some people like to shop. Some people like turnover. Some people like turning over their jewellery. Nothing wrong or sobering about seeing much-discussed/anticipated/ooh'd- and aah'd-over pieces listed unless you know that dire circumstances are driving the sale... otherwise it's just people project their own sentiments onto others who may well legitimately feel very differently.
This is so true. Sometimes I think my husband enjoys the actual process of researching, shopping, and buying more than he enjoys owning things. If he loved diamonds we'd be in trouble. Luckily, he does most of his returning at the Home Depot and not on DB.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
For some people the thrill is the hunt more than the possession; recycling things funds that. As we learn, our standards & tastes evolve too; stones that thrilled us earlier don't look so hot as we get more experienced, & off they go. When I see something very nice at a great price (that I wasn't looking for) I have to stop & ask myself, Do I really need that now? Got to talk tough to me often to get me to Leave It, as I tell my dog. I haven't bought anything on eBay, generally only from other vendors.

--- Laurie

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1342737366|3236870 said:

Some people like to shop. Some people like turnover. Some people like turning over their jewellery. Nothing wrong or sobering about seeing much-discussed/anticipated/ooh'd- and aah'd-over pieces listed unless you know that dire circumstances are driving the sale...

And some people do it for profit. All the adulation increases desirability--it's called marketing. It drives sales. It works.
It is what it is.

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1342737741|3236876 said:
HI:

I will always be in the market for "something", whether new or Estate--if I find it here great. I own a radiant cut diamond and buy Tiffany jewellery. Knowing what people think of those two items (here)--clearly I am not influenced by PS! :cheeky: :bigsmile: :devil: :rodent:

cheers--Sharon

Bahahahahaha!!!! :lol: I am influenced by Sharon! Collecting designer pieces second hand is VERY fun!

I have bought one item off Pre-loved/db and it was something I was going to buy anyway, a WhiteFlash 18" platinum DBY to use as a pendant chain. I couldn't believe I found it. It was exactly what I was planning to buy except it has 9 stones instead of 10. I just turn it a little so the pendant hangs between two diamonds, and voila! Exactly what I wanted!

The other item that tempted me on there was Yenny's eternity ring, but I cannot buy another ring until I sell a diamond and then figure out what kind of RHR I really want the most. I am strongly considering AVR,

I did sell an antique ring on DB I just wasn't wearing, so it definitely comes in handy to move things on that someone else might enjoy.

But I definitely am not tempted to buy things I didn't already want. I am picky and really only want a few really nice things.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
I've been checking DB since it's MGR days on the other forum. I used to buy more when living in the US but now that I'm in India, I don't buy anything because it is likely to go missing en route in India or held ransom by customs (released only in return for greasing some palms).

However, being in India does mean I have plenty of access to good jewellers and re-setting anything I don't wear anymore inexpensively. I've already made over almost ten pieces of jewellery. I should take pictures of those but have been too lazy to do anything except lurk these days. My bad.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's hard to resist so many beautiful items. And some are really great deals. For me, some of the items I've watched listed have been 'wishlist' items. But nothing truly irresistible has been listed yet, fortunately.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
No, it hasn't influenced my buying habits at all when it comes to diamonds (hey, I have a great source for diamonds... ;)) ). However, I will mention that one certain PSer who will remain nameless has offered a certain rug for sale and that is influencing me rather more than is reasonable. I don't have a large enough room to do it justice, and now I do keep finding myself browsing local property listings to see if I can find a bigger house.... :bigsmile:

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
It hasn't influenced my buying habits at all. In fact I have never bought from PL or DB. I did find something that was exactly what was on my wishlist and contacted the seller on PL, but it had sold to another buyer within minutes of it being listed. Drats! Of course knowing the PS community all I have to do is wait a few more months and the ring will be listed in the PL again. Just kidding...lol. :wink2:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
There are many things on DB that I have been tempted by that I probably otherwise wouldn't consider but I have only bought 2 items that weren't terribly expensive. I do think Yssie is right about people just enjoying the shopping and turnover of buying and selling pre-loved.

In regards to the comments about people making money off of what they sell, I don't really understand what is so terrible about that as long as both parties are happy with the transaction. Obviously if an item is priced too high, its not going to sell. I'd like to know how to make money at it too because I have definitely taken a loss on every item I've sold on DB or eBay (except for one gemstone which I broke even on). I did originally price one item slightly higher than I paid for it but that's only because I seem to receive lowball offers for everything I list. So maybe this is why people are pricing items higher than they paid for it? I dunno, most of the stuff I've seen posted from PSers on DB or LT seems pretty fairly priced...

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
It hasn't affected my buying habits at all but I am thinking of putting a few small things up for sale.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1342770316|3237086 said:
No, it hasn't influenced my buying habits at all when it comes to diamonds (hey, I have a great source for diamonds... ;)) ). However, I will mention that one certain PSer who will remain nameless has offered a certain rug for sale and that is influencing me rather more than is reasonable. I don't have a large enough room to do it justice, and now I do keep finding myself browsing local property listings to see if I can find a bigger house.... :bigsmile:

That's a perfect solution! :lol:

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes. My husband said something along these lines when I mentioned it to him... :bigsmile:

BTW, totally off-topic, but my daughter wants me to read the Cat in the Hat to her at least twice per day at the moment. I always think of you when Thing One and Thing Two appear in the story. :))

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1342800748|3237241 said:
Yes. My husband said something along these lines when I mentioned it to him... :bigsmile:

BTW, totally off-topic, but my daughter wants me to read the Cat in the Hat to her at least twice per day at the moment. I always think of you when Thing One and Thing Two appear in the story. :))

:)) Apparently my twin sister and I acted just like Thing 1 and Thing 2 as kids, hence our nicknames! :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results