shape
carat
color
clarity

Prayers needed for Kaleigh''s Mom.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Just caught up on this. You are taking great care of your mom. I hope she can stay in the nursing home longer. Sending more healing thoughts to your Mom and hugs to you!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Gosh I am so sorry to read about your mom's continuing problems. I know how hard this has to be on you. My thoughts and prayers go out to both of you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lisa, if they won''t keep her, you can transition her to home with home health nurses at least part of the day. We did that after my aunt had a stroke.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Lisa, it''s complicated. The 100 days is most likely a Medicare thing. Maybe she could get into skileed nursing, Medicare will pay for that for a while, up to 100 days (120 ?)
Since she''s not on IV''s and such a rehab/skilled unit sounds like what she needs. Then from there ...?

My mom was in the hospital for 1 week with pneumonia, then in an acute care facility since Aprill 22. Medicare is paying. Tuesday I am moving her to a nursing home. She will have days left on her Medicare (part of the 100 days) that will be covered at the nursing home. But to get Medicare she has to receive physical therapy (or other skilled nursing). She will until the nursing home figures out she''s too far gone with Alzheimer''s to respond to PT.
2.gif
After that she pays for the nursing home out of her own pocket. She''s 91 and declining quickly.

Hang on, take it one day at a time. Caring for our parents can certainly be trying and full of ups and downs. You are doing a great job.
After going through all this, I am buying the best Long Term Care Insurance policy I can !!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, Medicare will pay up to 100 days - but you have to qualify by needing skilled nursing or physical therapy. If they decide you are not participating or don''t need that level of care, they will stop paying. If you have any assets or money, they will require you to spend it all down before Medicare steps in again to pick up the tab. Private pay eats up money very quickly. Most people assume that Medicare will take care of you - problem is Medicare decides what level of care you need. It is a frustrating, agonizing thing to have to spend all the money you have accumulated in a lifetime for medical care.

Best wishes for your mother''s continued recovery - if she can get to the point where she would only require assisted living it is cheaper. I know firsthand how frustrating this can all be. Good luck to you both.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2009 5:44:13 PM
Author: MissGotRocks
Yes, Medicare will pay up to 100 days - but you have to qualify by needing skilled nursing or physical therapy. If they decide you are not participating or don''t need that level of care, they will stop paying. If you have any assets or money, they will require you to spend it all down before Medicare steps in again to pick up the tab. Private pay eats up money very quickly. Most people assume that Medicare will take care of you - problem is Medicare decides what level of care you need. It is a frustrating, agonizing thing to have to spend all the money you have accumulated in a lifetime for medical care.

Best wishes for your mother''s continued recovery - if she can get to the point where she would only require assisted living it is cheaper. I know firsthand how frustrating this can all be. Good luck to you both.
Isn''t it Medicaid that will not allow you to have assets? That''s my understanding.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Quick update:

Mom came home today. We have help including nurses and some aides here and there. The aides will help with bathing her, getting her dressed etc... She''s very happy to be home.

So hopefully all will be fine. Dad is getting the chair lift installed next week, that will be a big help.

Thanks to all that prayed for her. I am hoping all will be fine.

xoxo

Lisa

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish you and your family the best!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/22/2009 5:46:30 PM
Author: bebe

Date: 5/22/2009 5:44:13 PM

Isn''t it Medicaid that will not allow you to have assets? That''s my understanding.
Yes, you are correct - my mistake. Medicare will pay for 100 days of care - if you qualify for 100 days of care - and then you go to private pay or apply for Medicaid. You can only have $1500.00 left in assets for Medicaid to pick up long term care. If you have a spouse still living in your home, they cannot take the house. If you are the sole owner of a house, they will pay but they will attach a lien to the property for the dollar amount of care and will collect on it when the house is sold. The application process is not easy; any elderly person would have to have someone do all of this for them. They want copies of all bank statements, bills and such for the last three years - and were talking about extending it to the last five years. They want to make sure that you haven''t sold or made a profit on any asset that you then transferred to someone else. If you want to sell your house and give the proceeds to your children or next of kin, you must do it at least three (and maybe now it''s five) years prior to applying for Medicaid. It is essential to have power of attorney to act on a parent''s behalf.

Glad to hear your mother is home and I hope for her continued recovery!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Sending healing prayers to your Mother....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2009 7:12:03 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Quick update:

Mom came home today. We have help including nurses and some aides here and there. The aides will help with bathing her, getting her dressed etc... She''s very happy to be home.

So hopefully all will be fine. Dad is getting the chair lift installed next week, that will be a big help.

xoxo

Lisa
Will someone (amongst them all) be there all the time?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
So glad to hear it! She sounds like a trooper!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/22/2009 7:12:03 PM
Quick update:

xoxo

Lisa
that is great news !!
36.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Lisa, so glad that your mom is home. I bet that will really help to keep her spirits up. And maybe you can fatten her up a bit now too
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to thank everyone again for all their prayers. Mom is doing great. I have asked the mods to remove it because she is doing so well.
xo
Lisa

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is great news, Lisa!
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 10:28:31 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
That is great news, Lisa!
1.gif
Thanks DS. I hope all is well with you!!!
35.gif

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Wonderful news Kaleigh! I have been thinking of her...

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
That is great news!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very glad to hear she is doing well!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 10:38:54 AM
Author: UCLABelle
Wonderful news Kaleigh! I have been thinking of her...
Many thanks!! I think of you often, how is CA??

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 7:56:45 PM
Author: steph72276
That is great news!
Thanks Steph!!!
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 9:03:39 PM
Thanks Patty. I know you have been down this road... I hope all is well with you and your family!!!
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 8:10:55 AM
Author: icekid
Lisa, so glad that your mom is home. I bet that will really help to keep her spirits up. And maybe you can fatten her up a bit now too
9.gif
Thanks icekid, I am doing my best... Good thing , is that she has always had a huge sweet tooth. So have been bringing all sorts of goodies to her. Dad is making her milkshakes, filled with some fattening ingredients.... She's loving them. I just love that she has a positive spirit.
12.gif

So again, asking the mods to remove this thread. It's time for it to retire, and that's the best thing!!! That means all is well, can't ask for more than that.
2.gif

xo,
Lisa

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I am doing well! Love being back in California, but am starting to miss the east...I am a little bored (perhaps why I started to stop back in on PS)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 11:38:03 PM
Author: UCLABelle

I am doing well! Love being back in California, but am starting to miss the east...I am a little bored (perhaps why I started to stop back in on PS)
Are you working in admissions? I would love to chat.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad to hear she''s home and feeling better.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/28/2009 11:27:33 PM

Date: 5/28/2009 9:03:39 PM
Thanks Patty. I know you have been down this road... I hope all is well with you and your family!!!
1.gif
I''m still in the thick of it so I truly sympathize. It''s just always good to hear about progress where parents are concerned and I truly hope she continues to improve!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am late to this, but I will say some extra little prayers for your mom
36.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear your mom is home and happy to be there. All of you are in my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results