shape
carat
color
clarity

Possible jewelry project help!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hello lovely PSers! I need some help with a possible project. Thanks to Tacori's thread about her wg allergy, I remembered some earrings that I have that I cannot wear because of my own allergy. The background on these earrings is that they were given to me by my grandmother. She died when I was a year old of cancer and had been suffering with her illness for years before I was born. When I was born, she was so thrilled to have a granddaughter and immediately told my dad that she wanted me to have her earrings (her only real jewelry besides her wedding band) when I turned 16. I got them when I turned 16 and was thrilled, but I could not wear them due to my allergy. I wore one pinned to my wedding dress when I was married so I could have her there with me in some way when I was married, but other than that they have been sitting in my jewelry box for 16 years now. I thought I might have a baby girl to pass them onto one day, but with 2 boys it looks like that's not in the plans. So, I could either keep them sitting in my jewelry box for another 30-40 years and hope I someday have a granddaughter to pass them onto, or I could try to rework them into a band and enjoy wearing it now. I'm sure they're not the best quality stones, but they mean a lot. I counted 10 tiny stones in each earring, so a total of 20. So what would you do? And if you would rework them into a band, who would you call to do this job? Just to give you an idea, I love delicate jewelry. I have another heirloom piece from a great-grandmother that I put into a thin martini style pendant and I was saving for the Tiffany Metro band, although I am not opposed to adding milgrain to keep with the look of the original piece. I have attached a picture of the earrings for reference. Any ideas would be great. Thanks so much.

anitqueearrings1.jpg

anitqueearrings2.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
A band would be lovely. Or how about replicating your grandmother's earrings in platinum or yellow gold? That way you have the same earrings that she loved enough to give you, but they won't hurt your ears. :))

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1290009061|2769914 said:
A band would be lovely. Or how about replicating your grandmother's earrings in platinum or yellow gold? That way you have the same earrings that she loved enough to give you, but they won't hurt your ears. :))

I'm with Maisie! I think either option would be lovely (a band or replicating the earrings). As for who I would personally have do the job, my best experience was with BGD, so I'd go with them. YMMV. :wacko:

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the ideas ladies! Yeah, my initial thought was to have them remade with platinum, but I don't even have my ears pierced anymore and I'm not sure I would really wear them much. But a band, I know I would wear almost everyday, so that is the way I'm leaning. I've emailed a few vendors, so we'll see if it's even possible and if the quotes are not too outrageous!

PS: what does YMMV mean? I'm out of the loop!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My friend Kareyn had this ring made by Leon. I think its gorgeous!

kareynring3.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
FL Steph|1290010372|2769947 said:
Thanks for the ideas ladies! Yeah, my initial thought was to have them remade with platinum, but I don't even have my ears pierced anymore and I'm not sure I would really wear them much. But a band, I know I would wear almost everyday, so that is the way I'm leaning. I've emailed a few vendors, so we'll see if it's even possible and if the quotes are not too outrageous!

Your Mileage May Vary. ::)

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
geckodani|1290011889|2769984 said:
FL Steph|1290010372|2769947 said:

Your Mileage May Vary. ::)
Gotcha, thanks :bigsmile:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so glad I could enable a jewelry project ;)) I love the idea of a band! Keep us updated.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

natalina

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh- I will be following this thread closely! I have a few necklaces I never wear with tiny stones like that, and was thinking of having them made into a tiny band, too. But who to do it? And how much would something like that be?

So glad you started this, Steph!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1290026506|2770295 said:
FL Steph|1290013855|2770007 said:
What do you guys think about getting it put in something like this, but adding milgrain to keep it antique looking? http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...5-p+1-c+288152-r+101323341-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

Would you wear it as a stacking ring? Those bands are teeny aren't they? I think it would be a nice idea to make a stack according to things that happen in your life. Birthdays, Christmas...achievements etc...
Possibly. I love the look of stacking bands. I've always wanted something with sapphires too, but I have to do one thing at a time!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1290023405|2770222 said:
I am so glad I could enable a jewelry project ;)) I love the idea of a band! Keep us updated.
Hehe, me too...I wouldn't have even thought about those earrings being in there if I didn't see your thread, so thanks!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
natalina|1290031059|2770415 said:
Oooh- I will be following this thread closely! I have a few necklaces I never wear with tiny stones like that, and was thinking of having them made into a tiny band, too. But who to do it? And how much would something like that be?

So glad you started this, Steph!
Nat, I will keep you up to date with the progress. I have asked for quotes from a few vendors and will share who I'm going with once I get the info from them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results