shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: Upgraders - do you still have your original Ering?

After upgrading, do you still have your original Ering?

• Yes and it's still in its original setting

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Yes but in a different ring setting

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Yes but in a diff setting altogether, such as a pendant

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • No, I traded it during the upgrade process

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • No for other reasons

Votes: 12 19.0%

• Total voters

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
DH and I have upgraded my Ering a few times for major anniversaries and as the budget has allowed. A coworker at lunch today made a comment that "most people have one Ering and they keep it forever" - obviously a dig at me since I'm the only one at this small office who has done that. DH and I have no qualms about our upgrading - he would've bought me the best/biggest ring when he first proposed but we were young and funds were tighter back then.

It made me wonder though, what do other upgraders do with their first Ering? Kept it, traded it as part of their upgrade, etc.

Personally, my original .36ct round is now a pendant.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Re: Poll: Upgraders - do you still have your original Ering

I voted same stone, new ring setting:)

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock

I have my original engagement ring in its original setting. I still wear it from time to time.

My original e-ring would not be worth much if I wanted to sell it. It is under half a carat and uncertified. The original vendor doesn't have an upgrade policy. So for me, it wasn't worth it to sell it.

It would've been a tougher decision if my e-ring had cost more originally.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I only upgraded because my rings were stolen and the stone we found and loved happened to be larger. We had planned for my original stone to become a side stone one day, but that day obviously will never happen.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I still have my original diamond in a newer setting, but it's hiding out in my jewelry box along with a couple of older empty settings I had changed to over the years. I now wear the diamond and ring I upgraded to for my 30th anniversary but that's changing shortly. I'm thinking about resetting the original diamond into a pendant or earrings so that it get's worn again. I guess I'm in the sentimental camp...sort of...I can't let my original diamond go but have no issues with upgrading :)

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock

I just took my original ER to New York with me when we had to be there for a family member's health issues. I'm having my pear center stone and one of the side small pear stones from the old ER set in a pendant necklace at IDJewelry. I should have it by next Friday. My husband wanted to upgrade my ER after 25 years of marriage. We didn't get around to doing it until our 28th anniversary after he broke his hip in a biking accident and had nothing better to do in the hospital and rehab. We spent many hours looking at diamond specs haha. Now 2 years later after 30 years of marriage we finally took my temporary ER setting also to NY and it is with Leon Mege now getting its permanent home in a 3 stone setting. Hopefully done in the next 3 or 4 weeks. I didn't want to sell my first stone as it is sentimental to me. It isn't a great cut (thick girdle) but is F,G color. I look forward to wearing it around my neck.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock

I still have my original ering in its original, vintage setting. I will never sell it, nor will I ever take it apart. I still wear it on occasion and love it as much now as I did on the day it found me.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

Sort of...the original e-ring had been redesigned a few times and is now a sapphire RHR.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, and no.
I reset my stone for my 20th anniversary. I later put another, non diamond stone, in my original setting.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

Nope, I sold mine to a lady who lost her ering. I don't feel bad about selling it either, it was a crappy diamond from a mall store, all pre PS.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I traded mine as part of my upgrade process. Otherwise it would have been too much money to upgrade. I don't miss it at all. I am very sentimental about certain things and certain pieces but not about the ER. It held no emotional attachment for me while this new ER OEC does though I probably could be convinced to trade up if the right stone presented itself. :cheeky:
It's just a diamond. The real emotional attachment is the bond and the love my dh and I share. There is no trading up on that. :halo:

UrsTx, don't let nasty co-workers make you feel badly in any way. I feel sorry for them because they are small minded people people and they are obviously jealous of your lovely collection.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

I moved into a 2.66 ct OEC last summer, but I do still have (and sometimes wear) my original 3-stone engagement ring.

At times, I feel sheepish about keeping it, but I can't part with it.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I did the same as KaeKae.

My .27 point diamond is a new custom made platinum setting and I had a spessartite put into the original ring (with a little refurbishment) which I wear on my right hand occasionally. The ring is bit too delicate for my taste now but it was the style back when my husband and I got engaged.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock

My first diamond was traded in.

My second diamond was reset into a pendant.

My third diamond is still in its original three-stone setting and I wear it as a right hand ring.

I have been married for a long time. UrsTx your coworkers are just jealous! Plenty of women upgrade.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock

Urs, that stinks your colleague made that comment.

I never received an engagement ring, as funds were tight at the time, and what I would have wanted at the time for an engagement ring was definitely out of reach. I think Mr. K had no idea what to get either anyhow.....lol.

Kroshka

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

URSTx, don't listen to your co-worker. A lot of people upgrade when they can. No one blinks when we upgrade our house or cars as finances improve so I don't understand the problem with upgrading a ring.

I still have my original e-ring from my original marriage. :???: I've saved it all these years to give to my daughter, but she's not interested in it. That husband is long gone but I just don't have the heart to get rid of the ring.

The e-ring I have from my current (forever) husband has not been upgraded. We've only been married a year and a half. I love it and don't know if I'll ever sell it. I do have DSS sometimes so I might upgrade one of these days.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I lost my ring several years ago, it's somewhere in my house. If I hadn't lost it I would have kept it - it was purchased many years ago and was uncerted, and the jewelry store is was purchased from is long gone, so I wouldn't have gotten much for it anyway. It would be nice to find it, I'd reset it into a pendant, but I don't really have a great attachment to it. Mostly I'm just curious as to where the heck it is lol.

I would definitely have to sell my current OEC if I was to upgrade.

Don't pay any attention to that coworker UrsTx, lots of people upgrade over the course of a marriage and there's nothing wrong with doing so, I can't help but think it was said out of jealousy.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your coworker just sounds jealous to me. Please do not let her comments make you feel bad. I've been married a long time and have upgrade a few times. I have kept all my rings and plan to give them to my nieces one day.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My original from 1980 is in a pendant.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I should have mentioned in my earlier post that we have upgraded (new rings) along the way. I got one for our 10th and 25th anniversaries, and am getting a new one designed for our 30th. I just rotate my rings - diamonds and coloured gemstone rings on my left hand depending on my mood and what I'm doing that particular day. I would never have parted with my little diamond but I would never criticize anyone either for trading theirs in on an upgrade.

I think it's lovely that you put your diamond in a pendant. I hope your co-workers comments don't bother you too much.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I didn't get an engagement ring when we first got married. We were young, dumb and broke :cheeky: , but later on I did purchase a diamond on my own and my husband set it into a new wedding set when I graduated from nursing school.
I still have that set, but am thinking about resetting it into my Harmony setting when I reset my current diamond.
When I got my first diamond from my husband for our 10th wedding anniversary, I did upgrade it to it's current size of 2.417. That is the diamond currently in the Harmony setting.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock

Missy, sundial, kroshka, iluv, junebug, Callie, and poodles - thank you. My coworker has her own plans for her expendable income and I have mine. My DH's opinion is the only one that matters to me and I've had his blessing/veto each time.

Kroshka - I love your avatar!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes and it's still in its original setting. The diamond is small but was my husband's grandmother's diamond.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock

UrsTx, what a silly dig from your coworker. People are so funny with their expendable income- often so judgey about the way others spend theirs when no one frivolous/luxury item is better/more justifiable than another. :rolleyes:

I had a change in life/marital circumstances which meant the old ring didn't feel "right" to me anymore, otherwise I likely would have been one who never upgraded their original e-ring. I just wasn't into jewelry and I am a sentimental person who tends to attach meaning to objects, often preferring old over new. But so what, that's just me or was me, and wasn't any sort of moral high ground over those who don't attach meaning to objects or who would happily transfer meaning to a new upgraded object that better suits their current tastes and status.

I'm very happy with my new ering, and now have a healthy PS-enabled appreciation of gems and jewelry. =) My original diamond is about to be reset into a bracelet, which feels kind of cathartic to me, and I am sure I will attach new meaning to it in its new form.

lilsweetie

Rough_Rock

I still have my original e-ring, unaltered.
My husband preferred me to get a whole new ring rather than reset the stone, for sentimental reasons.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My original ering now has a spinel in it to wear as a RHR. Sadly I rarely wear it. The diamond (it was only .15 ct) is in a heart pendant now and I do wear that quite often.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My first stone with my current, 2nd and forever husband was a 1.01 VS1 E color oval in yellow gold, after I quit smoking my husband said I could trade up to a new stone as a celebration and because I just hated the bowtie, it bugged me. So my new stone was 1.65 VS2 H color MRB, it's an okay stone (bought my stone in 88) I've reset it 5 times and still don't like the setting, I wish I had the 90s style channel set 18K gold setting with 1 carat of invisible cut princess diamonds, I always received compliments on the ring and stone and it looked very nice.. no such luck with the last 3 setings as I wanted white gold, then platinum (I am not a big fan of yellow gold - but that is me).. I'm thinking of just resetting it into a nice 14K white gold trellis style setting and living with it. :) and I'm contemplating perhaps having it recut to better numbers.. we shall see :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results