shape
carat
color
clarity

poll: two children families

how did the gender arrangement work in your 2 sibling family?

• Two sisters

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • Two brothers

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Older brother/younger sister

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Older sister/younger brother

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Twins

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kind of a irrelevant poll, but I was thinking recently, of the 2 children families I know, one of these combos is drastically misrepresented (not counting twins)

I'm sure its just how it worked out in the group of people I know, but, if you could indulge me.

Please vote if
A: you were a child with one sibling
Or
B: you have two children

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel,
How do I vote if I fall into both groups you listed (I have a sibling and I also have 2 children) but I can only select one option?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1410191261|3747009 said:
Niel,
How do I vote if I fall into both groups you listed (I am from a family of 2 siblings and have 2 children) but I can only select one option?
Ha. I knew that would be the first post.

Hmm. You and your sibling, I suppose. I was going to give two options but that still wouldnt work if say, someone was a girl with a sister but also had two girl, sense you couldn't vote for the same thing twice.

Thanks for voting

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay. :)) I asked because my answer will be different; one will be a set of sisters and the other is a set of brothers.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1410191443|3747012 said:
Okay. :)) I asked because my answer will be different; one will be a set of sisters and the other is a set of brothers.
Thanks for still tell me.

For some reason, out of everyone I know I can only think of one set that is an older sister and a younger brother. Its weird!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am the older sister. My brother is 3 years and 15 days younger than me.

Many of our friends have either one kid or more than two, but I can think of one couple with a daughter in college and son in high school.

Hmm... Now you've got me thinking!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two sisters in my family. I am the oldest by 2 years 3 months. My sister has 2 girls also 2 years apart.

My dh has 3 bothers total in his family with him being the oldest. The middle brother has a girl (older by 3 years) and a boy. The younger brother has 2 adopted girls about 3 years apart.

ETA: Sorry I see you said 2 children families. Please ignore the extraneous information.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1410197538|3747068 said:
Two sisters in my family. I am the oldest by 2 years 3 months. My sister has 2 girls also 2 years apart.

My dh has 3 bothers total in his family with him being the oldest. The middle brother has a girl (older by 3 years) and a boy. The younger brother has 2 adopted girls about 3 years apart.

ETA: Sorry I see you said 2 children families. Please ignore the extraneous information.

Ha ha that's OK. Still interesting your husband has all brothers and you all sisters.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Note that I have not included any miscarriages, which might skew the result. My mother, my sibling and my family have all experienced miscarriages, which could have resulted in mix gender-ed siblings instead of same sex siblings.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without putting too much thought into it, I can think of 6 pairs of siblings where the sister is older than the brother.

My mom is older than her brother (my uncle)

That same uncle has two kids (my cousins) - girl cousin is older than boy cousin

My husband has an older sister

My closest female friend since junior high is older than her brother

A have at least two guy friends (with respective wives) who have a daughter who is older than the son

If I took more time to think about it, I could probably come up with more examples of people I know in the situation you describe as underrepresented. I wonder if there are any real-world statistics on the subject.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mary poppins|1410203994|3747126 said:
Without putting too much thought into it, I can think of 6 pairs of siblings where the sister is older than the brother.

My mom is older than her brother (my uncle)

That same uncle has two kids (my cousins) - girl cousin is older than boy cousin

My husband has an older sister

My closest female friend since junior high is older than her brother

A have at least two guy friends (with respective wives) who have a daughter who is older than the son

If I took more time to think about it, I could probably come up with more examples of people I know in the situation you describe as underrepresented. I wonder if there are any real-world statistics on the subject.

I said of the people I know . I was not trying to imply it was like that in the general public.

As I'm expecting a second child, this poll was more a fun way of mine to waste time until I find out the sex, not to prove or disprove any theory I had .

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can't remember the source, but I remember reading a study that showed that older sister/younger brother was more likely than older brother/younger sister. It also showed that a boy was more likely to be a single child than a girl and that a couple with two girls was more likely to have a third child than a couple with a boy and a girl or with two boys. Basically, the authors concluded that a couple was more likely to have another child if that new child might be the first boy than couples who already had a boy (note, this was statistical, so a few percentage points and something we might not notice in daily life, without aggregate data). I never followed up on the topic, so this study may have gotten trounced since then, but I found it curious.

In my family, my parents have two girls; one aunt has 2 boy, one girl; another has two girls and the third has a boy and a girl. Yes, we have a very female oriented generation but this has evened out as most of us have gotten married or found a stable partner. The gentlemen of my father's generation are relieved, as that ups the votes for sports on TV during family reunions.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1410199065|3747080 said:

Ha ha that's OK. Still interesting your husband has all brothers and you all sisters.

Forgot to add my parents! My mom had a younger brother and my dad had a younger sister. Hmm I'm getting a headache trying to figure out a pattern LOL.

Niel, I wanted to ask how you are feeling. I have been keeping you in my thoughts and hoping you are feeling well and that the baby is doing well.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1410209086|3747192 said:
Niel|1410199065|3747080 said:

Forgot to add my parents! My mom had a younger brother and my dad had a younger sister. Hmm I'm getting a headache trying to figure out a pattern LOL.

Niel, I wanted to ask how you are feeling. I have been keeping you in my thoughts and hoping you are feeling well and that the baby is doing well.

Aren't you sweet! I feel OK but no news because the high risk doctors won't even see me until next week

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I have a 6 years old daughter and a 4 years old son. Two friends and a cousin also have girl then boy. SIL and a friend have 2 boys. Another cousin has 2 girls, and another two cousins has boy then girl. So it's pretty equal in my circle.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
I have one older brother. (he has a son/daughter)

My husband has five brothers.

I have two daughters 14 months apart, they are almost 11 and 12 years old and a son that is 2 years old.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I am a part of a fraternal (two girl) twin set, and have an older daughter and a younger son. My daughter was adopted, though, and we were able to request what sex we wanted.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two kids. It's the big brother/little sister combination. Very cute to see how protective he is of her, even at this young age.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a big sister/little brother. JD's is big sister/little brother. Our kids are big sister/little brother. Most of my relatives are that way too, if they have two kids. If they have more than two, there are two instances of four girls, and one of three girls, and the others are one set of two and two and then a girl/boy/girl. My dad is one of three boys. My family is predominately girls.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I am a big sister with a little brother which is how I voted.

My kids are boy first and then girl.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I have one older sister. I have two sons. My parents feel lucky that they had two daughters and then three grandsons (sis has a son).
Kind of getting to experience both worlds :))

edited to add: one of my best childhood friends had fraternal twins, a son and a daughter. I considered her lucky that she got one of each with only one pregnancy. I've always been a bit wistful that I didn't try one more time for a girl, but fingers crossed I'll get a granddaughter someday.

Niel I had high risk pregnancies both times and during my second pregnancy had three episodes of major bleeding. Everything ended up fine and my son was born healthy. I had a torn placenta and they put me on restricted activity.' I hope you have an uneventful and stress free rest of your pregnancy.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was an only child so don't count in this - ha! I had a boy and then a girl.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
woofmama|1410304102|3748052 said:
I have one older sister. I have two sons. My parents feel lucky that they had two daughters and then three grandsons (sis has a son).
Kind of getting to experience both worlds :))

edited to add: one of my best childhood friends had fraternal twins, a son and a daughter. I considered her lucky that she got one of each with only one pregnancy. I've always been a bit wistful that I didn't try one more time for a girl, but fingers crossed I'll get a granddaughter someday.

Niel I had high risk pregnancies both times and during my second pregnancy had three episodes of major bleeding. Everything ended up fine and my son was born healthy. I had a torn placenta and they put me on restricted activity.' I hope you have an uneventful and stress free rest of your pregnancy.

Thank you for that WM that's what I needed to hear.

And thanks everyone for playing! I promise I'm reading everyone's post. Do you find in you're circle there is more one than the other?

In mine its mostly similar gender. If you had one boy you had two, same for girls.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results