Should I buy these earrings?

• Yes

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 84.0%

• Total voters

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Hi, so I'm wondering what people think of these diamond drop earrings. I am lacking some diamond drops, but I didn't want to spend too much. I feel as if these have quite a lot of presence for the price. I've seen lots of nice diamond drop earrings for $2-2.5k, but I don't want to spend that right now as there are other things I'd like to buy. I'd like some diamond drops that I could wear in the day with my hair down, and that would also be a little bit jazzy for the evening with my hair up.

I think these look more expensive than the price, and although the headline says they are half a carat, if you look at the description they're actually .80. I know they're not top quality, but like I said, I don't want to spend too much, and I think it's possible that I'd get quite a lot of sparkle for the price. They're also not too big - I've got a petite face and large earrings swamp me.

Thoughts?

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-leaf-drop-earrings-14k-white-gold_39959

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that if you think there's a pretty good possibility you'll like and wear them, go for it. If you don't like them, they are covered by the return policy. So most is that you'll be out shipping to see them in person.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
even I like them....me, Ms I Don't Like Halos.
for the price you owe it to yourself to check them out.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted "no" because honestly I just can't fathom paying hundreds for I-I1 melee diamonds - still, at that price, they may be worth purchasing since they caught your eye and you are still interested in them after reading the specs; you'd only be out return shipping should they not meet your expectations.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
I think they're pretty and you might like them. If you don't, I'm sure returning them to BN will not be a hassle. What have you got to lose? See them in person, wear them for a few hours, ask your SO what he thinks... and then decide if you will keep them or not.

Kayln

Rough_Rock
It is simple yet so wonderful. I think you should buy this Diamond drop.

JillyC

Shiny_Rock
I think if you like them, buy them. If you find you don't like them once you have them, BN is easy on returns. They're cute, different from the usual drops.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone! Returns are kind of a pain because of all that odd tape you have to put on the box which never sticks (USPS registered, the safest way) and it's just a pain going to the post office and paying the insurance etc...I'm wondering if I'm only thinking about these because I'm waiting till the Christmas sale to get the ones I really like...think these are a stopgap. Having said that, it's a great price for some diamond drops with a substantial shape....

Someone said that they could never buy I1 I colour melee, and I completely understand. I feel the same way, usually. But I've seen BN's Si2 I colour melee in a cross and it was super-sparkly and white, and I'm thinking, maybe the I1 will be OK in that case. I guess that's why the price is low, and I can't see any inclusions in the photos. In my experience, BN isn't a bait-and-switch company. You usually get somewhat more than you've paid for, I find, not less.

Decisions, decisions!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
They're cute & great for what you want -- daytime or evening. I don't think the color is so much of an issue with earrings as with a ring or necklace; your head & hair are moving -- people don't get a good clear look at them (most wouldn't know the difference anyway). Sparkle is important.

On the other hand, if it's a case of want-something-now because it's a long wait for Christmas -- I get these obsessions a lot & am usually glad when I hang onto the money & wait for the big stuff. Sometimes not, though. (How's that for decisive?)

--- Laurie

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Ha, ha! Thanks, Laurie! Now the way ahead is clear. :lol:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We'll be waiting for that fedex truck right alongside you! =)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Glad I could point you in the right direction, Smith. :lol: Ask me any time!

I LOVE the necklace, love love!!! Can't wait to see pics of both, yippee, what fun!

--- Laurie

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi - I always think of DBTY as being something from Tiffany, BGD, WF etc and in a precious metal with diamonds or other precious gems- it never occurred to me that this silver semi-precious BN number is in the DBTY style, but you're right! Scary...I'm on auto-pilot, buying DBTY-style things without realising! Yes, promise it will join the group shot!

Thanks, VR Beauty!

JewelFreak - hope they look as nice as the pics! At least I can return them pretty much hassle-free if not. I know the diamond drops aren't the best quality -and I have never knowingly bought I1 diamonds before - but I really didn't want to spend much, so it's a fair trade-off. After I bought them, they went onto back order, so I must have got the last sale pair. The design is nice, too. And, I hope the necklace colours of the semi-precious stones are as nice as they look online.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
marymm|1374619334|3488750 said:
I voted "no" because honestly I just can't fathom paying hundreds for I-I1 melee diamonds - still, at that price, they may be worth purchasing since they caught your eye and you are still interested in them after reading the specs; you'd only be out return shipping should they not meet your expectations.

THIS! But I would be curious to see if a PS vendor could make them with higher quality and if they could + the price being better I would do it if they make your heart sing.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I know, I know - I never thought I'd buy I1.

Re. getting them done custom - I think that they would cost a significant amount more that way, because they'd have to create this design from scratch. I'm not even sure if they could copy it, legally. But anyway, this is very much a price-driven purchase for me. I want a lot of bling for the money, comparatively speaking, and I really didn't want to spend more than the $684 that I paid.

I've seen a diamond cross that BN made, and it was I, Si2. It was gorgeous - incredibly sparkly, white and eyeclean. So either these diamonds will look great, or you'll be able to tell their specs, the sparkle will be affected and I can send them back.

I thought it might be a great way of getting a sparkly lovely look for a great price. Or not. We shall see!

Either way, I'll post pics.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
OK, quick update. I received the diamond leaf earrings and the silver semi-precious DBTY necklace.

The good news: The diamond earrings are STUNNING! SO sparkly! They are smaller and more lightweight than they look online, making them perfect for everyday. They could also certainly hold their own for an evening look - they swing very easily, so they move a lot as you move your head, which makes the diamonds twinkle. I can't believe how sparkly they are. You would never in a million years guess that they are I, I1.

The bad: The friction backs are really loose. This is the second time I've had an issue with the backs of BN earrings, and online reviews have said the same thing about BN backs.

The first time was with my stud upgrade a few months ago - one of the posts wouldn't go through the butterfly part on the back, and they were both enormous, meaning you could see the backs peering out from behind my ears, from the front. Back then, BN said if I bought some new backs downtown they'd reimburse me. I did so, they cost $50 but I didn't have a chance to send BN the receipt as I then went to my home country for a few weeks, etc. The store downtown only had 14k backs, the 18k ones would have cost $160 and since they weren't in stock, couldn't guarantee that they'd fit tightly anyway. My BN settings were a custom order so BN did not have 18k backs in stock to fit the post. Therefore, wanting to wear my new earrings, I bought the 14k backs downtown, reasoning that at least I was able to get a nice tight fit, but it means I've ended up with 18k stud settings and 14k backs, which is slightly annoying, but never mind. Also, I never got around to sending BN the $50 receipt.

So this morning when I saw how loose and floppy the backs were for the new diamond leaf earrings, I was a little annoyed as I was starting to feel that I needed to factor in $50 for a new pair of backs at E.B. Horn for each pair of BN earrings!

I called BN and they were pretty good. They reimbursed the $50 for the stud earring backs to my card over the phone while we were speaking - brilliant! - and sent me a free overnight FedEx return label to send the diamond leaf earrings back to have better backs fitted. I'll be able to send the earrings off tomorrow, then they'll be processed and sent back overnight. Not sure when I'll get them back - next week sometime, I guess. I do have to package them up at FedEx using multiple boxes etc so it's a little bit of a pain, but at least they'll be put right (I hope) at no cost to me.

The silver 36-inch semi-precious gemstone necklace: I'm sending it back. It just doesn't look or feel like a piece of fine jewellery. I guess I'm spoilt, used to wearing DBTY by BGD, WF, Tiffany and DeBeers! However, the colour saturation of the stones isn't the same in real life as it is online, and although it's pretty, it could easily be costume jewellery from Banana Republic. So I'm sending that back in the same box, which is great as it means I get to return it free.

So, although I don't like the necklace and I'm having some issues with the friction backs, basically the diamond leaf earrings have worked out brilliantly! I also got an email from BN confirming that their title is wrong and that the leaf earrings are .80 carats not .50. They're billed as half a carat, but the description says the weight is 0.80 and that is correct. So that's even more of a steal for $684!

I'll attach two quick photos, but only one of the diamond leaves as I want to do a SMTB thread on them when I eventually get them back!

In the pics below, the necklace looks better than in real life, in my opinion, because it's on a white background. On the skin, the colours are paler. I also thought the stones were marquise, which I love, but they're oval.

But what about those earrings - I love them! :love: So sad that I have to send them back for a while. Still, to wear them would be to risk losing them, the backs are so loose. The picture below captures some of their insane sparkle in the morning sun.

gedc2348.jpg

gedc2347.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I really like them. Pity I've got to send them back, albeit temporarily. They are smaller and lighter than I thought, but that means I'll be able to wear them more.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results