shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: Should I Buy The Ultimate Diamond Drops?

Should I Buy the Dream Earrings, Or Not?

• Yes

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • No

Votes: 19 48.7%

• Total voters

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Hi, so as some of you might know, I am dangerously close to completing my collection. I had this idea about getting all the core items that I really want now instead of paying the prices of the future, because prices are going nowhere but up. I am almost finished. I really only have a gold statement necklace from Blue Nile to get, which is about $500, so not a big purchase.

BUT, I saw what are my ultimate diamond earrings when I was last in my hometown in May. They are to die for. They cost USD equivalent $2.2k. I have the money in England; I could get them (1495 pounds). But they are very dressy; however, I want just to POSSESS them, :Up_to_something: and since I'm only 38, I've got the rest of my life - decades, hopefully - to wear them to occasions. I also have dressy necklaces that I don't wear much but am so glad I own. Or, I'm the type who would happily wear them in the bath/at home with jeans on! They are a diamond flower stud cluster, with a bezelled diamond drop, with another flower cluster dangling from the drop. The store sent me some photos in a PDF, and I wasn't able to extract them, so have attached it here. They are 0.86 ctw, G, VS1.

The question of whether to get them has become more urgent because I'm going home to the UK on Tuesday for a week, unexpectedly.

So, I'll be there, and the earrings will be there. Should we get together and make beautiful sparkles for the rest of our lives? Or should I let them go, on the grounds that it's a lot of money and I've already got enough jewellery to sink a battleship? As my husband said the other day, "The chief executive of Tiffany came round while you were out. He'd heard there was more jewellery here than in TIffany and he wanted to see it all himself!"

Thanks for your input xxx

P.S. Here's an old thread on these earrings, with images:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/beautiful-flower-diamond-earrings.191901/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/beautiful-flower-diamond-earrings.191901/[/URL]

Attachments

• diamond_7.pdf
    402 KB · Views: 148

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.

Your 38-year old self just got two beautiful pairs of earrings. Leave room in that jewelry box for your 40-year and 42-year old selves to play.

Translation - your tastes will change. Two or five or ten years from now you will no longer see those earrings as "the ultimate" earrings. Jewelry prices will go up, true, but so will your income. They're diamond dangles and unless I'm mistaken, they're basically not that different in scale or style from the leaf earrings.

But - that's just me, and it's your jewelry box! :wink2:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. Just get them and complete your collection.

If you don't, you'll kick yourself later. If you do, you'll at least have the satisfaction. Your husband can then say whatever he wants!

Seriously, if you DON'T get them you'll feel sad forever. When you DO get them (now) I think you'll feel more complete.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Definitely get them. I wear bigger earrings casually, there's no reason why you wouldn't get good wear out of them. They'll go with everything.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are really pretty-they sort of remind me of the earrings I got for my birthday this past August (but those are ruby and diamonds). Just my taste so ofc I'm going to say if you love it and have the funds for it go for it.

Though VR Beauty brings up a good point. As time goes on preferences change but as long as you have the funds for jewelry as gifts for special occasions get what you enjoy now. I wouldn't however spend the rest of my forever bling budget all at one time because I love getting bling for my birthdays/anniversaries/holidays etc.

ETA: I also wanted to add that life is not a race to gather up everything you ever desired all at once. It's meant to be lived one day at a time enjoying experiences along the way. I think you might regret getting all the jewelry you *think* you will ever want all in one shot because then you are sort of robbing yourself of the experience of collecting special items as you go through life. However just ignore me if you plan on still accumulating jewelry along the way and these are just staple items you want to get now. In any case enjoy!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Smith,

Welcome back. I'm voting yes for several reasons. 1. You have been writing about them for some time, so to you, they are unforgettable. 2. You will wear them more than you think if you can get past the "English version" of good taste. In the States, we really do wear bolder pieces for everyday wear. You just have to get used to it and just wear them. 3. Even if your tastes change, you will still love these because they are a classic jewelry piece. There is room for more than one style in your heart..(as you well know)
4. You can afford them.

I understand entirely the desire to just possess them. I have jewelry purchases like that and some I would never trade, although I NEVER wear them. I do go to admire them at the bank. I have my own store there.

Annette

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Smith, life is too short to live with regrets. Just get them.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for your replies, everyone! :wavey:

I do appreciate all the different viewpoints.

I don't remember the earrings that well in real life, and the person who took the photos only took the top and bottom separately, not the whole earring. So I called the shop today and asked for further photos, including a modelling shot. I can then decide if I want the store to send them over to the branch closest to me for a better look when I'm over. So I've still got time to think about it.

Missy and VR Beauty, I hear you about tastes changing, but I'm very boring in my sartorial choices. What I like doesn't change that much, and hasn't since my late teens. And I've already done my jewellery shopping - my collection is a gold necklace away from being complete! I do feel the universe has rewarded me by plopping some amazing bargains into my lap!

It doesn't mean that I'll never ever buy jewellery again, just that I know I've bagged the things I really, really want now.

However, I am not completely sure about the earrings, at least till I see further pics. I am going to keep in mind what everyone says. ETA: SmitCompton, it's not really about an English good taste thing, it's just that I've got a really small, narrow face and larger earrings can easily overwhelm me.

Thanks again everyone! :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome back, Smith. I do not want to tell you whether or not to buy the earrings about which you are polling people, but I did think I should disabuse you of the notion that they are the ultimate diamond drops. The ultimate diamond drops are worn here by Princess Astrid of Belgium and I have been scheming about how to get a pair this size ever since I first saw them. I don't really care whether they suit the size of my face. The problem is that even if I sell off all my land and castles, I do not think I can afford to buy a similar pair!

Good luck to you, however!

Hugs, Deb ;))

princessastrid.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the pic, Deb! :wavey:

Those diamond drops are amazing! You can really see, in macro, the effect that diamonds can have on a women's face in these shots. Their sparkle lifts and highlights her whole face, it seems to me.

What land? What castles? I want to hear more! :lol:

I really meant that the earrings are ultimate for me - you know, that suit my wallet, my style, etc. Ultimate within my own parameters. But if someone offered me a pair of massive diamond drops, I would not say no!

Those earrings in your pic really are quite something....

ETA: I'm sure there are ways and means to get a pair of similar size, if not quite as big. You could go quite low in colour, sell some of your current jewellery, and make judicious use of bezels!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I say go for it! I'm 53, and honestly I have the same taste in jewelry and clothing as when I was 38. I don't think your tastes are going to change that much. You really love them and you can afford them, so why not? I think you'll end up wearing them more than you think, too. And I get your point about buying now, instead of waiting and prices increasing. Makes sense to me anyway. :cheeky:

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Smith, I say go for it too! You've been talking about them for awhile and I think if you don't buy them you will regret it!! Have fun and good luck!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't mind me, I'm just the village curmudgeon! :wink2:

I get the sense this trip is not exactly for pleasure? I hope you have some time to enjoy nonetheless. Safe travels!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm torn. It sounds like you might have different drops that would be more what you are looking for but these just happen to be there. That is a bad way to make a purchase that you will really be happy with for decades to come.
But you keep talking about them. You keep longing for them. It sounds like you will regret it if you don't at least look at them in person again.

Can you go looking around at other places for drops and then go back to see these in person? It may be that they are gorgeous and just what you want but it may be that you are not remembering them realistically or that there are drops that you would love more than these.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'm in the "what you think is ultimate will change with age" school of thought.
so, no, I wouldn't get them.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Fab, all the advice has been great. It's especially useful when you get different viewpoints - gives you food for thought. When I'm in England I'm going to scroll through them all and consider what each person's said, in order to try to arrive at the correct decision. My flight leaves in five hours and I'm not even dressed, let alone packed. And I still have laundry to do!

I could always leave it till Christmas and see how I feel then, except someone might buy them in the meantime. The store has already said that they could remake them, but not at this price (1495 pounds, or $2.2 - 2.3k)

Excitingly, the shop has emailed me some more photos.....and they are just as stunning as ever. See below:

Now that you can see them better, I'd appreciate further viewpoints! Thank you so much in advance.

I have already looked everywhere for everyday diamond drops, which I now have, and then I saw these dressy ones, and I really love them. I first saw them back in May. However, I would need to try them on as I can't tell if they would suit me.

The trip is for pleasure, although of course it's always a little difficult when I go home due to my parents' situation. But my niece, who is only ten, has won a place in a professional ballet, the English Youth Ballet, and she is a courtier in Swan Lake. I'm going to see her, but she and the other children don't know that. It's a surprise. I'm going to pick them up from school on Thursday afternoon!

earrings_4.jpg

earrings_5.jpg

earrings_10.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my opinion remains unchanged: no.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like them even more in those shots! :love: I say do it!

eta: and have a safe and wonderful trip!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Pretty, but still not a fan (even after the additional pics). I don't care much for floral jewelry, although the diamonds are certainly lovely. I think that if you really need to go back and forth this much over a purchase, then there's a reason why. You seem to have significant doubt, which to me would mean that my gut was telling me no.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again, everyone! :wavey:

MovieZombie - I do have a gold and diamond Art Deco-style bracelet that I bought at age 15 with some money that my grandparents had left me, and I still love it as much today as I did then. So that's 23 years! Honestly, I'm a sartorial bore.

Momhappy - I am hesitant, because this is more money than I've ever spent in a single purchase on jewellery. Even my amazing Art Deco-style diamond fan pendant with the 2-carat aquamarine drop was super-reduced in a sale for $954. And although my diamond studs were over 3k, they were an upgrade so I paid in two stages over two years! I don't tend to spend a lot on larger pieces, but I have smaller pieces. For example, I have a Tiffany 0.22 DBTY solitaire set in platinum, but even that was "only" $1700. By my ow standards, 2.2k is a lot to spend on one item. But I do love them...

Honestly, where is Enerchi when you need her?

Thanks for the safe-trip wishes, Junebug! :wavey:

ETA: The other thing is, if I get these I'll consider my core collection to be complete except for an inexpensive gold necklace that I like at Blue Nile, and then I can stop boring everyone on PS with my should-I-buy-it threads! :lol:

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
If you love them, you must visit them and see once and for all.
I have a feeling you like the design, and want them.
Let's face it, all jewellery is a 'bit of a spend'. The company has already said that should you want them made up later, they will cost more than the current tag.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope that seeing them in person and trying them on will help you know for sure.

Good luck! Have a fun trip!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
If you love them that much and can afford them then I would definitely buy them. :bigsmile:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Smith, they're very pretty & if you just have to have them, then go for it. It's very true that your tastes will change with time as you learn more & see more gems & jewelry, but if in the future you find you don't wear them much, you can sell them. You may, of course, cherish them the rest of your life.

For someone who loves jewels, buying everything at one time won't be enough for a lifetime. You'll see pieces or stones in years to come (not very many years if you're anything like me!) & wish profoundly you could have that instead of the one in your drawer. In the meantime you'll get much pleasure from what you have. Some will delight you always -- right now, I'm wearing my first big(ish) jewelry purchase -- a pair of wide 18k yg hoops for which I paid $250 -- a HUGE amount for me at the time -- around 30 yrs ago. They're still my favorites, though I don't wear them as much as previously & I have others that cost many multiples of the price.

So you're building a collection of pieces you love, but don't fool yourself that it will be enough forever. 8-) Some you'll always love, some you won't. That's what growth & fun is about. Prices may go up but so will your ability to meet them and your knowledge of how to sniff out deals. Enjoy!

--- Laurie

P.S. Your surprise sounds just wonderful!! The kids will be over the moon. Have a great visit!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1379453327|3522497 said:
Smith, they're very pretty & if you just have to have them, then go for it. It's very true that your tastes will change with time as you learn more & see more gems & jewelry, but if in the future you find you don't wear them much, you can sell them. You may, of course, cherish them the rest of your life.

For someone who loves jewels, buying everything at one time won't be enough for a lifetime. You'll see pieces or stones in years to come (not very many years if you're anything like me!) & wish profoundly you could have that instead of the one in your drawer. In the meantime you'll get much pleasure from what you have. Some will delight you always -- right now, I'm wearing my first big(ish) jewelry purchase -- a pair of wide 18k yg hoops for which I paid $250 -- a HUGE amount for me at the time -- around 30 yrs ago. They're still my favorites, though I don't wear them as much as previously & I have others that cost many multiples of the price.

So you're building a collection of pieces you love, but don't fool yourself that it will be enough forever. 8-) Some you'll always love, some you won't. That's what growth & fun is about. Prices may go up but so will your ability to meet them and your knowledge of how to sniff out deals. Enjoy!

--- Laurie

P.S. Your surprise sounds just wonderful!! The kids will be over the moon. Have a great visit!

I am going to ditto everything Laurie has written. And add that I love the earrings and I can see why you want them...they are lovely!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1379441916|3522407 said:

I dunno, I thought I was doing a pretty good job filling in for her! :cheeky: :bigsmile:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1379441916|3522407 said:
Thanks again, everyone! :wavey:

MovieZombie - I do have a gold and diamond Art Deco-style bracelet that I bought at age 15 with some money that my grandparents had left me, and I still love it as much today as I did then. So that's 23 years! Honestly, I'm a sartorial bore.

Momhappy - I am hesitant, because this is more money than I've ever spent in a single purchase on jewellery. Even my amazing Art Deco-style diamond fan pendant with the 2-carat aquamarine drop was super-reduced in a sale for $954. And although my diamond studs were over 3k, they were an upgrade so I paid in two stages over two years! I don't tend to spend a lot on larger pieces, but I have smaller pieces. For example, I have a Tiffany 0.22 DBTY solitaire set in platinum, but even that was "only" $1700. By my ow standards, 2.2k is a lot to spend on one item. But I do love them...

Thanks for the safe-trip wishes, Junebug! :wavey:

ETA: The other thing is, if I get these I'll consider my core collection to be complete except for an inexpensive gold necklace that I like at Blue Nile, and then I can stop boring everyone on PS with my should-I-buy-it threads! :lol:

But that's just it - for many of us, our collections are never "complete." There's always something new, something different.... Jewelry I thought I just haaaddd to have 5 years ago, now sits in my jewelry box unworn. You may think that your core collection is complete, but I bet there will be some additions along the way ;-)
If you love the earrings, and will be full of regret if you let them go, then buy them. Best of luck on your choice :)

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
This is how I feel about the pear bezel drops I mentioned in your other thread. They are gorgeous! But I don't know if I would wear them in my real life. It's a hard decision. If you believe you'll wear them enough and can afford the purchase, go for it.
Also, it's wonderful that you're surprising your niece :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results