shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: Dramatic Sunburst Diamond Earrings, or Baguette Drops?

Do I Buy the Sunburst Earrings or the Baguette Drops?

• Sunburst Earrings

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Baguette Drops

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Both

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
So, I'm at it again! Blue Nile is still coming up with these amazing designs which keep me up at night with the wondering, the waiting, the comparing...

They have just produced these fab sunburst diamond earrings in rose gold. I think the design is incredible. No way would I peg these as a BN item. To me, they look like estate earrings from a wealthy woman. They are VERY different:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-earrings-14k-rose-gold_44973

And then, I like these baguette drop earrings. They would go with my step-cut Art Deco-style aquamarine and diamond ring, and I'm still on the prowl for some dressy diamond drops. The only thing is, leverbacks can look funny from the front. Does anyone else think that? But these earrings are really nice...

http://www.bluenile.com/baguette-diamond-halo-leverback-vintage_45003

Two very different styles...what would you pick?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Poll: Dramatic Sunburst Diamond Earrings, or Baguette Dr

Well my answer is always BOTH, LOL, but if you are going to choose one I prefer the second pair with the caveat that it will truly depend on the quality of the setting in real life. If done well I think they will be lovely. Unfortunately I don't think it can be discerned from the pictures though, so you may have to get them and decide in person.

Did you send the baguette leaf ones back BTW?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Hi, Dee Jay, thanks for your considered response! :wavey:

No, I certainly didn't send the baguette leaves back! As if!! ROFL!!

Seriously though, they were so sparkly and SUCH a great price ($684) that I kept them. But, they are small, which means they are great for everyday, but I wanted something bigger and dressier for special occasions. I wonder if these baguette drops will be too small. I think the sunburst ones would have great presence, although I don't really have anything that would go with them.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Smith1942|1383245544|3548267 said:
Hi, Dee Jay, thanks for your considered response! :wavey:

No, I certainly didn't send the baguette leaves back! As if!! ROFL!!

Seriously though, they were so sparkly and SUCH a great price ($684) that I kept them. But, they are small, which means they are great for everyday, but I wanted something bigger and dressier for special occasions. I wonder if these baguette drops will be too small. I think the sunburst ones would have great presence, although I don't really have anything that would go with them.

Oh good, because I liked the way those looked on your ears!

The baguette ones sound like they need to be seen in person... :halo: and the sunburst ones too... :devil:

All kidding aside, I really do think the best way to judge something is to have it in hand (or "on ear" as the case is here!). Not that it's my place to spend you money in encouraging you to pay shipping back and forth if that becomes necessary, but I think you'll just have to take a look a them for real to decide.

One question regarding what to wear the sunburst ones with though: do you mean because they are rose gold or because of the style? I.e., do you tend to wear, for instance, earrings, a necklace, bracelet, etc., at the same time and you would want them all to be the same metal?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Hi Smith! Hard to say without seeing them, but I wonder if the drop ones would disappoint IRL -- they have less than half a carat tcw, so may look smaller in hand: more metal, less diamond & sparkle. I like the other ones (which have almost a carat tcw) & are more different too. DJ's point -- whether you care if your metals all match -- is a good one, but earrings are far enough from rings, bracelets, for it to be noticeable. A necklace would be, if it matters to you. Just from photos, it looks like the sunburst ones would sparkle better in lights at night. (Romantique. :sun: )

--- Laurie

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Thanks, Dee Jay! I actually just cut out from a piece of paper the shape of the baguette earrings according to their dimensions on the website, and used a tiny piece of Sellotape to stick it to my ear. I'm sitting here wearing a paper earring! But it's worked - I can see that they will actually look quite substantial. Sending things back and forth is a pain in the butt, so this gave me an idea whether I should pursue these babies. Yes, I'm under-employed today. (In my defence, my next project arrives tomorrow.)

About the sunburst earrings, I meant that I don't really have round-shaped jewellery. I have rose gold DBTY, and I have a white gold pear halo pendant, but I don't have a round-shaped necklace or anything with a design that echoes the sunburst. I do have a substantial bezeled diamond solitaire pendant in white metal.

Wanna see my paper earring? :lol:

April20

Ideal_Rock

I love the sunburst earrings. I think the tcw on the baguette drops is a little on the light side for them to make a statement IRL. I'm afraid they'll be so small they'll get lost.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

JewelFreak|1383247197|3548284 said:
Hi Smith! Hard to say without seeing them, but I wonder if the drop ones would disappoint IRL -- they have less than half a carat tcw, so may look smaller in hand: more metal, less diamond & sparkle. I like the other ones (which have almost a carat tcw) & are more different too. DJ's point -- whether you care if your metals all match -- is a good one, but earrings are far enough from rings, bracelets, for it to be noticeable. A necklace would be, if it matters to you. Just from photos, it looks like the sunburst ones would sparkle better in lights at night. (Romantique. :sun: )

--- Laurie

Thanks, Jewelfreak! Yes, I think the sunburst ones could be really quite dramatic, although they are not my usual style. Oh - the baguette drops are actually .73 ctw. But yes, I think that not only is there more diamond in the sunbursts, it's spread out in a circular pattern so will look like more, too. But I think the baguettes are a great price, and I prefer H over I. Also they are 18k whereas the others are 14k.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

April20|1383247606|3548286 said:
I love the sunburst earrings. I think the tcw on the baguette drops is a little on the light side for them to make a statement IRL. I'm afraid they'll be so small they'll get lost.

Hi April! Thanks for your input. The baguettes are .73 ctw - is that small?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

I think I see what's happening - when you click on the link, only the carat weight of the round diamonds comes up - .42. If you scroll down a little, the baguette weight comes up too. The total carat weight is 0.73.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

I prefer the style of the baguette drops, so that's what I'd choose.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

Zoe|1383250266|3548322 said:

I agree. They are beautiful and timeless.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

I went for the baguette drops because they appear more classic IMO than the sunburst design.

Ok, so I realize that King Louis the (14,15,16th?) was nicknamed the "Sun King" in France, and probably its a style that is going to be around longer than the baguette drops, but to *me*, it looks more trendy! :loopy:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Style-wise I prefer the sunburst earrings because I think they're kind of a cool design, and they'd look more substantial on the ear. However, if it were me I'd probably pass because I don't see myself wearing the sunburst earrings enough to justify the cost. Probably - I might change my mind on these if I had the chance to try them on! :wink2:

I think the baguette drops are similar enough to your leaf earrings that you'd probably be choosing between the two of them for similar outfits and occasions. They also look kind of like (don't shoot me) wanna be earrings - they wanna be larger baguettes, but to keep the cost down they're made of tiny baguettes and tiny melee. Nothing wrong with that, but (I suspect) not something that would satisfy a jewelry maven such as yourself for long.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Smith, what I don't like about the baguette drop earrings is that it appears the attachment is fixed and doesn't move or swing so there is no movement of the earrings. Personally I love movement of dangle earrings because they catch the light and are just so pretty when they gently sway if you kwim. I like the starburst earrings-they are very pretty but as others have pointed out you really need to see them on your ears. How will they lay on your ears and how much surface area will they take up etc.

ETA: what would really be lovely is if the starburst earrings could be made into drop earrings that fall right below the earlobe with a flexible attachment...I think that would be :love:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

EXCELLENT points, everyone! VR, yes I wondered if the baguettes would be too small. And Missy - that's a cool ideal about the sunbursts. I think I won't get the sunbursts yet because I'm going to be strategic about it - i.e. they are a design which does not have universal appeal as they are quite unique, so there's a greater chance they will end up in a BN sale.

There are two more pairs I like - 1-carat Monique Lhuillier Deco-style drops which are bigger than the baguettes, in both weight and design, and tanzanite and diamond halo heritage-style drops. I've got a discount code which would make the tanzanite drops $1,430.

http://www.bluenile.com/monique-lhuillier-deco-diamond-earrings_44081

http://www.bluenile.com/pear-shape-tanzanite-diamond-14k-white-gold-earrings_21780

What do you think?

I wish I were very rich and could just sweep up all four pairs!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ok, now I'm going to ditch the baguettes I preferred before, and hop on the Monique Lhuillier bandwagon!! Those are AWESOME!! And-- I don't think you have anything similar to these in your collection, if I recall correctly...

Can I switch my vote? I'm going ML now!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Ha ha, Enerchi! You can switch votes but unfortunately I can't change the poll to add these two!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would choose the sunburst for myself, as I seldom wear dangling earrings.

DK :))

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Here are my thoughts- I like the baguette earrings, understated and elegant but do agree that it would be nicer if they actually dangled. For price I think they are pretty and I love baguette diamonds.

The sunburst are just okay. I do agree they look like an estate item, but too old fashioned for me. I wouldn't wear them.

The Monique L earrings remind me of wedding day earrings, which they may be intended for since she is also a wedding gown designer. I wouldn't wear these as an everyday item, but I live in jeans.

I think you could source your own tanzanites and have earrings made for possibly a lower price.

So baguette wins :))

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I voted for neither because the ones you posted are okay, but not really the sort of thing you've been wanting to find. Neither of them seem like the sort of forever piece you want in your collection.

The other two you posted are much closer to what I see you buying. Neither of them really stick out as THE earrings to buy for you. They are nice but also have the look of not quite right.

If the dangle actually dangled, that would be a lot better!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tacori E-ring|1383252259|3548339 said:
Zoe|1383250266|3548322 said:

I agree. They are beautiful and timeless.

Me three - they will look timeless and elegant when you wear them.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

Love the sunburst earrings! They get my vote.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone! :wavey:

I've had some VERY wise input here. It's great!

Upshot is that I'm going to do nothing for the moment.

Thanks again for all the consideration! I just don't want to drop a four-figure sum on something that isn't right, kwim? Thanks so much for helping me to decide. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results