shape
carat
color
clarity

Plus size dresses - where to buy as a summer wedding guest?

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
It''s been a hard year, and I''ve gained weight. Considering that the garbage my workplace has been pulled on my so-called ''specialty'' department has caused several meltdowns, droves of people quitting, and gave one woman a heart attack, I consider having one day of crying on the job plus a size or two of weight gain to be pretty lucky.

Compared to a heart attack, that is.

My measurements are now around 48-37-46 which puts me firmly in the plus-size section. As someone with borderline BDD, I beg you to just kill me now. My brother-in-law''s wedding is in the middle of July, and I need to find a dress because I''m too fat to fit into my old dresses. This means I have a month and a bit to find an appropriate dress before the entirety of my SO''s family meets his ''fat wife'' (I think future SIL is a size 2). Did I mention kill me now- DON''T MAKE ME CRAWL THROUGH YOUR SCREEN AND DO IT FOR YOU!
39.gif

So, I need help. Oh god, do I need help. I need something flattering, semi-casual, but modest enough for the very religious members of his family not to add ''whore'' to ''fat'' and let loose an impromptu stoning at the reception.

I need websites that have plus-size fashions that aren''t A) frumpy sacks or B) lettin'' it ALLL HANG OUT SUGAH WORK IT SHOW THE WORLD WHAT YO MOMMA AND THOSE BIG MACS GAVE YAH!

When you are a Woman Of Size, you really don''t need a neckline and hem struggling to be united. (Yes, I am looking at you, TORRID!
29.gif
) I don''t think that a eeny-meeny mini is flattering on a size 2 woman, but sweet mercy it does not belong on a woman 20+
32.gif
Yet there is surprisingly little selection between frumpy and hooker chic.

Help! Aaagghhh help meee!

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
www.raspberryberet.com has beautiful romantic dresses. I wore one of their dresses fro my wedding and have been thinking of dying it to wear it again for an especially fancy occasion.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/6/2010 9:29:06 PM
Author: Scorpioanne
www.raspberryberet.com has beautiful romantic dresses. I wore one of their dresses fro my wedding and have been thinking of dying it to wear it again for an especially fancy occasion.

The link doesn''t work- google is suggesting .us or .net?

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I was just in Macy''s today and they had some dresses. Layne Bryant has SUPER CUTE skirts that you could pair with a nice shirt. I wanted to buy the skirts and I never wear them
3.gif
I know how difficult it is to be plus sized, and to use food as comfort through stress
7.gif
I hope you find something you love to wear! And don''t forget the great attitude!
9.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Galateia, there will be no shooting from me, but I'll try to help you find a dress! I'm sorry to hear that you've had a rough year, and I hope things improve for you.

I'm plus size, so I understand the frustration. First of all, where do you hail from? In the states I've had great luck with dresses from Chicos (http://www.chicos.com/store/home.jsp) J. Crew (http://www.jcrew.com) & Coldwater Creek (http://www.coldwatercreek.com/). I got a fantastic wrap dress at Chicos that I wore to a March wedding.

This one from Coldwater Creek http://www.coldwatercreek.com/Products/Detail.aspx?productid=50504&ensembleid=56700&colorid=994&refLink=dresses.aspx looks like it would be universally flattering, without letting the girls hang out!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried target? I am anywhere between a sixteen and a twenty depending on the garment in question and I can usually find something there. They have super cute summer dresses now that are flattering and run in a range of styles and amount of formal-ness. They also have light shrugs to cover the arms.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I got a fabulous ball gown at Macy''s this weekend. They have a great selection.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Tried this dress on in person. Cute on the hanger but clings to everything IRL
7.gif
100% cotton, or close to, is a great bet. Or a comfortable smoother/shaper just to keep cling down.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
My links don''t work when I post from home, but here were 2 that stood out to me.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3108131/0~2376776~2374327~6007059~6007112~6010558?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6010558&P=2 I love the color.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3091264/0~2376776~2374327~6007059~6007112~6010558?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6010558&P=3 I have no idea if you would be falling out on top, but this style is so good everyone. They also have it in green.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
We had a lot of luck with dresses for plus size bridesmaids at Kiyonna. They have some really cute stuff: Kiyonna

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/6/2010 10:22:49 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy
My links don't work when I post from home, but here were 2 that stood out to me.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3108131/0~2376776~2374327~6007059~6007112~6010558?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6010558&P=2 I love the color.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3091264/0~2376776~2374327~6007059~6007112~6010558?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6010558&P=3 I have no idea if you would be falling out on top, but this style is so good everyone. They also have it in green.

Fixed the links:

Link

Link

ETA - Cute dresses!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I''m trying to think, but I can''t stop laughing. Whatever you wear take that sense of humor to the party and everyone will love you.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Eileen Fisher makes high quality plus-size clothes that are also fairly conservative in styling. Nordstrom''s, Macy''s, etc., carry the brand. Here''s an online store that carries the plus line. My measurements are similar to yours (&%%%!!!@@@## perimenopause weight gain!) and I usually wear an extra large or 1X, depending on the cut and the material.
Eileen Fisher

The kimono jacket would look really cute with a tank and a flared skirt streamlined pants.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gala, I feel your pain. I just bought this dress from Espirit and it's VERY flattering. This one is in silk, but they also have it in black in a gorgeous chiffon material. It's VERY very flattering, TRUST me. The picture is slightly deceiving, but it looks amazing on a bigger/curvy girl (like me). It has an invisible empire waist so it's highly forgiving, yet very formal and pretty. I bought both this dress in both styles for wedding related events.

dresskama.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Gala,
I'm not great with measurements so I can't tell what size you'd be ... but I've had the best plus-size-dress success with

* Nordstroms (sale department often has good deals both online & in stores)
* Anthropologie (if you shop KNITS only in a L or XL)

Other possibilities ... JJill, Boden, JCrew (up to 16/18 I think?), Garnet Hill. One trick I use often is to pair a shrunken silk 3/4 length sleeve cardigan with a sundress. Gives coverage w/o bulk, looks cute -- just make sure it hits at a narrow area (waist?) & not mid-hip or something. That can go "dowdy". Oy.

ETA:

I'll post ones I find down here.

Here's a red Calvin Klein number. How much do you want to spend?

Is this Optic Print too busy?

The "Lucy" dress at Stop Staring retro clothing is kinda cute. Depending on your style.

Have you checked out Igigi?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
So, while I'm not so blessed as you in the *first* measurement, we're actually pretty close to one another in the waist and hips. I SWEAR by this Evan Piccone dress from Macy's (I own two of them): Linky
This is the link to the dress in black, but Macy's usually carries it in several different solids and prints at any given time, and often on sale. It's not a real halter, so you can wear a normal bra with the straps pulled together with a clip, or with a strapless, and there is plenty of room in the pleated bust to completely cover the girls, I would think. And it's that fabric that doesn't wrinkle, so it's AMAZING for travel.

Best of luck!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2010 10:43:07 PM
Author: decodelighted

ETA:

Here's a red Calvin Klein number. How much do you want to spend?

I saw someone in that dress just today and couldn't help complimenting her. Don't ask me why she felt compelled to do this, but.. she mentioned that it was a size 16, and I would never have guessed it. Just one word of caution: I've tried that dress or a Calvin very much like it on in my size. It's poly lined and the outer shell is on the heavy side, so it could be a bit warm for, say, an outdoor wedding. But all those vertical pintucks are very flattering!

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, so our measurements are literally only off by about 1/2 an inch in the waist (well, except that I''m 5''2", so that''s crunching a lot of curves into a little body, haha!). I personally can''t do J. Crew, as much as I love ''em, because my waist measurements are a bit too much for their sizing, but I''ve had good luck with some of the lines at Target and Old Navy (although theirs, particularly the latter, can be more casual). Newport News also has some great stuff, and I got a seriously INSANE-flattering dress from dresscodeformal.com for a bridesmaid''s dress once that I''m going to chop off and wear, oh...every day.
3.gif
And I love New York and Company because they often have dresses that fit in the middle but flare at the hips and below, which is flattering to my shape. Ultimately, just don''t get discouraged over a couple of pounds. Pounds, shmounds, ya know? Find something you feel amazing in, and make sure you have a wonderful time. Having fun is the important part! Hope that helps!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Gala, I totally hear you. I pretty much don''t wear dresses because I am built similar to you, but smaller in the bust, and short. I am loving the links here though, and now I really want an excuse to wear THIS! In fact, I think you should wear it. Yes.
30.gif

There are worse things than people meeting his "fat" wife. You could be the "perverted" wife. You could be the "meth head" wife. You could be "insert other bad things".

OK, now, take your left arm and wrap it around yourself. Take your right arm, repeat. HUG YOURSELF. Look in the mirror and tell yourself that the worst thing in life, at this point, is not being a bit over the size you would like to be. It will be ok, and you CAN get through this. It isn''t even a permanent situation. So, cut yourself some slack and focus on finding yourself a super hot/cute/sexy/adorable outfit.

Also, I don''t know if you''ve heard of spanx but they work wonders. They can smooth and trim a bit off.
2.gif
Even the little bit cheaper brands do something for your figure.

*HUGS*

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a plus sized women
7.gif
and I have been in your shoes, when my son graduated from high school I had an awful time finding a decent, nice dress, I found one at Elder Bermans, they seem to have some decent plus size clothes...now if I could just find some shoes for my very fat feet to go with it, thats a whole other story.......good luck!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Don''t despair - - there are solutions out there.

My local Lane Bryant store has some cute dresses. They are not frumpy, dumpy, or matronly.

I''m at the lower end of plus size, but feel the need to use the Women''s Department in many stores, just for finding something that doesn''t bind in odd places - - you know?

Are you close to a Dress Barn? CATO? Both have Misses and Womens sides to their stores. I just got a great little black dress @ CATO a couple of weeks ago.

I bought 3 dresses online this spring with J.C. Penney; all of them fit perfectly and look great. None of them are FAT dresses. They cling in all the right spots, while maintaining perfect decorum.

I also like to peruse Ross; I found 3 dresses there recently. I''m wearing one today, and my husband thinks I look great!
2.gif

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I know how you feel. I''ve gained a huge amount of weight over the past 4 years and feel aweful about it. So here is what I''d recommend. First, get the proper undergarments. Spanx makes everything look better on me and it makes trying things on less aweful. Also make sure your bra fits. Give yourself enough time to shop and if necessary get alterations. I had a melt down looking for a dress last year and found one finally at Neiman Marcus for something under $300, all silk, floor length. So also try different stores. I don''t have any dress recommendations online because that never works out very well for me personally.
*PS watching Joan on Mad Men always makes me feel better*

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
You ladies are fantastic! I haven''t worked my way through all the links yet, but wanted some thoughts on some of these:

This Pink one was the only one that I''d found, and I''m not crazy about the colour.

In The Blue

In any of these colours

I''m really pale, and yellow-toned, so pink washes me out a bit. I look better in warmer colours, but can do blue or green if they''re strong or dark enough.

Also liked this in red, but the others too

Since I''ll be wearing a black shrug for sweat concealment and to protect the eyes of passersby who might be exposed to my upper arms, I thought This would be cute with the shrug.

The site the last ones are from does customization, so I am not worried about hem length.

What do you ladies think of these? I''m about to start working my way through the plethora of links you have all kindly gathered for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results