shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your photos of nature, wildlife, etc.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1462993485|4030352 said:
Packie I wanna live in your yard.

You can be our Garden Fairy! Come have drinks w/me! Now the front yard will be worth sitting and enjoying just like the backyard.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just had to share this; it's not mine but it's my favourite clip on youtube showing the excitement and the reality of the big game fishing we do for marlin. And I've seen a lot of clips!!

https://youtu.be/uwBqTs6_St4

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My parents went marlin fishing on their honeymoon. I'd love to go someday. it seems so exciting!

JD got the front finished this afternoon so the final "nature" pic for this project.

img_11802.jpg

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Taken last year on my friend's farm. You literally have to drive past these guys to get to their front door!

11891209_10153589012351563_8072852469074417915_n.jpg

11915444_10153589012456563_8454461093554819370_n.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Packrat that looks awesome!! Far better than my landscaping/gardening skills. I just dig holes for soil tests :lol:
And chasing those stick-faced fish is the best adrenaline rush ever! Did your parents catch any Marlin on their honeymoon?

Trekkie that must be an amazing sight to drive in and see, is there ever any predator issues?

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I love all the new additions! :love: :love: :love:

Thanks everyone for sharing! :appl:

Monarch,
There's something so sweet about lily of the valley. Your first photo instantly took me back to my childhood; the garden by the back door was filled with delicate lily of the valley. So beautiful! I need to plant some lily of the valley in my own garden!

Madame Bijoux,
What an adorable visitor you have! Life wouldn't be the same without animals or birds in the neighbourhood. I'm so appreciative of the wildlife in my area; squirrels, birds, deer, racoons or skunks! Doesn't matter.

SonnyJane,
What an amazing video of the false killer whale birth! I can only imagine the reaction of the passengers on that whale watching boat. Something they'll never forget.

Jordy,
The beauty and strength of those amazing fish is incredible. Thanks for your photos and videos of life on the water.

Packrat,
Wow! I've seen some of the photos you've posted of your back yard and your new front yard is just as amazing! I don't know how you and your DH manage to find the time and energy to create such wonderful, personal spaces while working and raising children. Congratulations on planning and completing such a lovely front yard. I'm sure your neighbours stop to enjoy the beauty as much as you do.

Trekkie,
Oh my goodness, beautiful! I love horses and that zebra, with its perfect pose, is so breathtaking! The world is such an incredible place with wildlife and plants growing in extreme heat, cold, areas of little rain and areas with constant rain. There's so much beauty, and its fascinating to see how the plants and animals manage to thrive in the vastly different environments.

My apologies if I've missed someone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is more nature than wildlife, so it's not as pretty nor interesting as the rest posted here.

alps.jpg

fresh_air.jpg

night_lights.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Jordy and DF! DF, we've had some neighbors come tell us to cool it b/c we were making everyone else look bad and nobody could keep up. And then we've had neighbors that really like it haha! We've been spending more time in front now, just sitting and looking at the yard, talking about whatever. It's so calming and soothing. And that's what I wanted, was the front to be as "magical" as the back..tho, the back is fenced in so it's a bit better b/c we're alone, no traffic etc.

Jordy-they did! I should have mom rat around and find the pictures-it was in 74 that they went so a long time ago. Mom's was actually bigger but dad mounted his. :rolleyes: Grampa mounted his too..and I think mom's was bigger still.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Glad the front is giving you joy packrat, I hope the maintenance on it won't be too much to deal with!

Wow so it seems like everyone got onto a fish, I'm guessing they probably honeymooned in Mexico? Possibly somewhere near Cabo San Lucas? And funny how it goes with having ladies out fishing for Marlin. I call it lady luck as we always catch with ladies onboard! And it obviously showed by giving mum the biggun!!!
I don't actually have any mounts which is something they have that I don't, I've been meaning to get one made for years. Nowadays most blokes who make the mount have molds that they cast the mount off from a similar size fish. Which is good as 99% of my fish go back with a tracking tag :bigsmile:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, Mexico! I'm not sure exactly where..I want to say Acapulco.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leaving the Amber Cove, Dominican Republic by cruise ship

20151208_164016.jpg

20151210_062633.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ZestfullyBling,

That's so beautiful!

Have a wonderful time!

Don't forget to get us all souvenirs! :lol:

:wavey:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1464277615|4036524 said:
This is more nature than wildlife, so it's not as pretty nor interesting as the rest posted here.

Chrono,

Nature and wildlife are equally wonderful! :))

Your photos are lovely!

I really like the first one taken from the plane. I love taking photos from planes; the views are incredible. And mountains are breathtaking!

Thanks for sharing these with us.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
jordyonbass|1464260617|4036455 said:
Packrat that looks awesome!! Far better than my landscaping/gardening skills. I just dig holes for soil tests :lol:
And chasing those stick-faced fish is the best adrenaline rush ever! Did your parents catch any Marlin on their honeymoon?

Trekkie that must be an amazing sight to drive in and see, is there ever any predator issues?

No, not really. I think they have a few lions but I know they want to sell them to a private game farm. The lions are really boring. They don't do much, just eat (mostly random deer - it's as if they know not to go near the zebras and the giraffes) and sleep. They also hide away so you can't really see them, so what's the point? :lol: They have a few rhinos as well and they're far more problematic - 1215 rhinos were poached in SA in 2014. That's one every 8 hours. :nono:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Under the pier in Atlantic Beach, NC

and the 2nd one I didn't take but it is of our local area, Beaufort, NC waterfront at sunset

pier.jpg

beaufort.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Trekkie|1464335994|4036885 said:
jordyonbass|1464260617|4036455 said:

No, not really. I think they have a few lions but I know they want to sell them to a private game farm. The lions are really boring. They don't do much, just eat (mostly random deer - it's as if they know not to go near the zebras and the giraffes) and sleep. They also hide away so you can't really see them, so what's the point? :lol: They have a few rhinos as well and they're far more problematic - 1215 rhinos were poached in SA in 2014. That's one every 8 hours. :nono:

They almost sound like the crocs you see here in zoos, they basically just lie there and do nothing or hide in the mud. The wild ones are a little more active than that. I made the mistake of tracking boars in Queensland along a lightly wooded area with nests that had been built by crocs. I had an encounter with a rather feisty 13 foot female that was hellbent on getting me away from her nest, I don't think I have ever seen a croc move so fast.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumngems, those are amazingly beautiful pictures! The one under the pier reminds me of our wedding pics (we got married on Folly Beach, SC). They are just stunning.

Packie, wow your neighbors have every right to call you out for being those over-ambitious a-holes! LOL just kidding. It looks great!

I love all the pics on this thread. Jordy, I've been deep sea fishing a few times and always enjoy your photos.

Today I visited a local winery (yes, Indiana has wineries. Many.) I wasn't there to taste wine, though. I had a quick meeting and brought my camera so I could get some pics. Here are a few of my faves:

digitalis.jpg

grapevines.jpg

iris.jpg

verticalline.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AutumnGems,

Those photos are stunning! What a gorgeous location. :love:

Monarch,

What a beautiful spot!

Those foxgloves (if I've identified them properly) are so pretty!

I'm in the process of learning about gardening, expanding my garden areas and cautiously venturing into unknown territory for me by adding more flowering plants. I've gradually built a bit of confidence over the years with things that survived my lack of a green thumb. My thanks to my Hoopsi evergreen (looks like a Blue Spruce), shrubs, hostas and the ornamental grasses that have continued to thrive! :appl:

I'm planning on planting things that are loved by bees, hummingbirds (and other birds) and butterflies. I put out a couple of bird baths in the back yard, and the birds are drinking from them! So far, so good! :D

Now I should think about heading back outside. I've been removing sod, taking lots of short breaks. But my current 'break' started two hours ago. :lol:

All of you gardeners:
I'd love to see more photos of flowers, shrubs, etc.! Please. :angel:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
December-fire, I am a certified Master Gardener and I still have no idea what I'm doing most of the time. I have to research constantly. I am mostly into growing edibles, but have expanded a bit into ornamental flowering things myself the past several years. I have quite the collection of wax begonias I've successfully grown from taking cuttings, rooting them in water, and planting them. Yes, you were correct about the flowers being called "foxgloves." Their Latin name is digitalis which means "finger-like" because you can stick your finger in the blooms, kind of like a thimble. They are used in heart medications. A very interesting plant!

I know next to nothing about roses, but here is a pretty picture of some small yellow ones from the same location, and another of a red yarrow plant which was just gorgeous.

roses.jpg

red_yarrow.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monarch,

You're a certified Master Gardener! I felt intimidated just reading that! :shock: :lol:

I've been doing lots of research and started a spreadsheet of various plants. I know nothing about gardening (edibles or otherwise), but research and spreadsheets I know! The information and plans are starting to come together. I'm doing it for enjoyment, and know that plants can be moved, divided, etc., so consequence of error is pretty low.

Thanks for posting the photos of the rose and yarrow! So pretty!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
december-fire|1464521624|4037684 said:
Monarch,

You're a certified Master Gardener! I felt intimidated just reading that! :shock: :lol:

I've been doing lots of research and started a spreadsheet of various plants. I know nothing about gardening (edibles or otherwise), but research and spreadsheets I know! The information and plans are starting to come together. I'm doing it for enjoyment, and know that plants can be moved, divided, etc., so consequence of error is pretty low.

Thanks for posting the photos of the rose and yarrow! So pretty!

Haha, it's really not that impressive, it just sounds fancy. I can't recall if you are in the U.S. or not, (maybe Canada?) but the MG program was started here in the 1970s. In conjunction with Land Grant colleges, their county extensions give classes on gardening and all things related (pest control, bugs, trees) for a semester, and then the students are required to volunteer in the community for a minimum of 35 hours over a specified period of time. Like anything else, in order to keep your certification or move up in level, you have to keep earning education hours and volunteer hours. So there is time and effort involved, and lots of education, but by no means does it make one an expert. Mostly it teaches you how much you still have to learn, but gives you the resources and ability to research. The main point of the program is the volunteer aspect. The title can't be used for professional purposes, i.e. to sell anything.

Here is a chive blossom with a bug on it. ;)) This year I made chive vinegar with the blossoms--to be used in vinaigrettes, etc.

chiveflowers2.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love those pics Monnie! You should come take pics of our yard..I'm just a point and clicker. :wacko:

That rose is gorgeous-we got two new ones yesterday for the front. Went for yellow and couldn't find any, so we grabbed two peachy ones. We have *nothing* peach colored so these will be a nice addition.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1464539925|4037756 said:
Love those pics Monnie! You should come take pics of our yard..I'm just a point and clicker. :wacko:

That rose is gorgeous-we got two new ones yesterday for the front. Went for yellow and couldn't find any, so we grabbed two peachy ones. We have *nothing* peach colored so these will be a nice addition.

Thank you, I would love to come and photograph your yard! We are about 10 hours apart, but I drove from Indy to the Quad Cities 15 years ago and I have to say it was the most boring drive ever, mostly through IL. So flat! But you never know, one of these days I just might show up at your door. :bigsmile:

I love peach flowers, that sounds really pretty. There are some beautiful peach colored iris which might be a nice addition to your gardens as well.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That would be awesome! Actually, yesterday when we were at my parents marking the iris we wanted when dad splits them, one or two of the 9 colors we're getting, are peach. One is really ruffly too, I'm pretty excited about that one!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I took this picture yesterday at one of the state parks in our area while my DH and I were trail running. I love nothing better than trail running first thing in the morning. :love:

20160529_074558.jpg

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
image_808.jpg fluffy butt white-crowned sparrow image_806.jpg snacking on a bug image_805.jpg bald eagle about to snack on a rhinoceros auklet!!! image_804.jpg bald eagle

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
View of Mt. McLaughlin from my morning hike

mt_mclaughlin.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
On my lunch break, should have brought the boat with me to work today...

20160601_142528.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been busy with other things and haven't gotten out much with my camera. I miss it! However, I've had two outings with my camera this past week and will try to review and share a few photos here. Here's one for now.

By the way, Happy Canada Day to my fellow Canadians wherever they are in the world. :wavey:

img_12046.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results