shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me choose bed sheets

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a king-size sleigh bed, which is in rich honey walnut finish. From the side, about 8'' of the 14'' box spring will be visible, so I will need to cover both the box spring and the mattress with fitted sheets (perhaps in the same color). The mattress is 8'' thick.

I bought two cotton sheet sets, just for seeing the colors in real life. One is in solid brownish gold, and the other in solid ivory. I could either return both, or exchange one of them for the other color.

Which color do you think will look better with the bed, ivory or gold? I am a little concerned that gold might be too dark, whereas ivory might be too light against the bed frame.

What other colors would you prefer? What about taupe, sage, or white? Also, will you use the same color for the box spring and the mattress?

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Sleigh_Bed.jpg

heb1976

Shiny_Rock
Hi Cookie, I would choose my sheets based on the rest of my bedding. Have you picked out a duvet or quilt? As far as color, I prefer light colored bedding with dark beds. I would think Ivory would be more appropriate than white because of the formality of your bed. My bed is similar to yours in color, but more modern, and I chose a white duvet with a very limited, simple design and white sheets with a darker quilt for contrast. But everyone has different taste. As far as the box spring goes I use a box spring cover. I love mine! Here are a couple of links.

http://www.thecompanystore.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-TCS-Site/default/Search-Show?q=box%20spring%20cover

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/cameron-organic-matelasse-boxspring-cover/?pkey=e|box%2Bspring%2Bcover|1|best|0|1|24||1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Hi heb! I really like your bedding arrangement. It actually sounds similar to what I currently have on my queen bed -- white sheets, with blue floral quilt.

I haven't decided on the duvet (or quilt, bedspread) yet. I do have a few candidates:

1. solid gold Egyptian cotton duvet (cover), inexpensive
2. fancy golden duvet ($$$s):
http://www.horchow.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=cprod28870006&parentId=cat11950747&masterId=cat000074&index=33&cmCat=cat000000cat000072cat000074cat11950747
3. another fancy golden duvet ($$$s):
http://www.horchow.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=cprod76580003&parentId=cat11950747&masterId=cat000074&index=2&cmCat=cat000000cat000072cat000074cat11950747

bedspread: (100% cotton, inexpensive)
1. http://www.mhweavers.com/elizabeth.html
2. http://www.mhweavers.com/abigail.html

Bedspread might be inappropriate for the sleigh bed though. I just really like the woven patterns. What do you think?

I am kind of inclined to go the inexpensive route, and perhaps upgrade later when I have more funds available.

heb1976

Shiny_Rock
Out of the three duvet choices you gave I would choose the solid gold and possibly the Luxembourg if the rest of the bedding was simple. The other is too bold and busy for your ornate bed. That style of bed stands on its own as the focal point and the bedding should compliment and not compete with it. I would definitely break up the gold or Luxembourg duvet with a cream or ivory quilt or coverlet. The bedspread would hide the decorative rails but could be used folded at the foot of the bed for texture. Here are a couple of others that I think would look lovely with your bed...

http://www.horchow.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=cprod63630018&parentId=cat11950747&masterId=cat000074&index=31&cmCat=cat000000cat000072cat000074cat11950747

http://www.horchow.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=cprod63040004&parentId=cat11950747&masterId=cat000074&index=34&cmCat=cat000000cat000072cat000074cat11950747

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Cookie- I LOVE bedding. Maybe it's because I love sleep ;-) I would get the dark gold sheets with all of the duvet's but the last from frontgate. That one seems to need the lighter colored sheets.

heb1976

Shiny_Rock
You're very welcome! I think the Frontgate duvet with white or ivory sheets would work well with your bed.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
mayachel|1296411507|2837402 said:
Hi Cookie- I LOVE bedding. Maybe it's because I love sleep ;-) I would get the dark gold sheets with all of the duvet's but the last from frontgate. That one seems to need the lighter colored sheets.

I love sleep too, especially in cozy bed. :D

Your choice of sheet color is exactly the opposite of heb's, so I am not sure again, LOL. I am so decorating challenged! :(sad

jayme

Rough_Rock
There are different types of luxury pillows available in the market. Most of the pillows will give you the maximum comfort to your kid and you during the breastfeeding.

Kas Bedding

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've had Sferra and other high end brands. My go to is Wamsutta from Bed Bath and Beyond though. They last for years. Seriously I have one set that's in great shape and I've had it for 10 years.

I have tried Cuddledown for towels and other things, but I"ve heard their sheet quality especially the Percale they have is wonderful.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
jayme|1312524236|2984652 said:
There are different types of luxury pillows available in the market. Most of the pillows will give you the maximum comfort to your kid and you during the breastfeeding.

Kas Bedding

Thanks for the link! Kids are in our plan for the future.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1312528601|2984674 said:
I've had Sferra and other high end brands. My go to is Wamsutta from Bed Bath and Beyond though. They last for years. Seriously I have one set that's in great shape and I've had it for 10 years.

I have tried Cuddledown for towels and other things, but I"ve heard their sheet quality especially the Percale they have is wonderful.

I haven't heard of these brands before. Thanks for letting me know! When it is time to get new towels or bedding, I will certainly check them out.

My current 1500TC sheets and duvet covers are from EgyptianCottonOnline. The quality is excellent. Much better AND cheaper than those Egyptian cotton sheets I got elsewhere. I purchased, compared, and returned so many sets of sheets that I felt sorry for myself and the online retailers.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I second the recommendation for Wamsutta. I also generally like buying Pima Cotton made in the US because I know it's good quality, and I like buying Made in the USA products.

For inspiration from high end bedding brands, you can go here:
http://www.finelinens.com/default.aspx

lindajeanh

Rough_Rock
Hi Cookie , I am looking for the sleigh bed that is shown on your post , but cant find a seller , can you help me with the store name ??

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
lindajeanh|1355016160|3326536 said:
Hi Cookie , I am looking for the sleigh bed that is shown on your post , but cant find a seller , can you help me with the store name ??

Hi Linda, I just saw your question. The manufacturer is AICO. If you go to their website, you should be able to find a list of retailers.

Not sure if this is allowed on this forum, but I am actually trying to sell my set (sleigh bed, nightstands, armoire, bench, dresser, mirror), because DH and I are downsizing, and this set won't fit (size-wise) in our new home. If you are interested, let me know.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOOOOOOOVE high thread count 100% cotton sheets that are very heavy gauge, but I HAAAAAATE :knockout: what they cost.

So, I pay close attention to prices and pig out when I find nice ones on sale.

I acquired appreciation for fine cotton from my ex.
He is from India where he says the many people are as obsessed with the quality of their cotton as they are with the quality of their Basmati Rice.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kenny said:
I LOOOOOOOVE high thread count 100% cotton sheets that are very heavy gauge, but I HAAAAAATE :knockout: what they cost.

He is from India where he says the many people are as obsessed with the quality of their cotton as they are with the quality of their Basmati Rice.

Brands, Kenny, I need brands! I am up for new, fabulous sheets, so which brand do you recommend?

And I will ONLY buy Basmati. Regular rice, is trés, trés, boring. Royal is my brand, but I'm open. Also, what's the difference between Basmati and Jasmine Rice?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1372204262|3472300 said:
And I will ONLY buy Basmati. Regular rice, is trés, trés, boring. Royal is my brand, but I'm open. Also, what's the difference between Basmati and Jasmine Rice?

Appearance, flavor, texture, scent. Basically, overall mouthfeel is totally different. What exactly is "regular rice"? Don't the packages at least label the type? There are so many varieties! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rice_varieties

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:

Brands, Kenny, I need brands! I am up for new, fabulous sheets, so which brand do you recommend?

Brands, Schmands.
Sorry, I only do brands on diamonds and Hondas.

With sheets, I go for the highest thread count and the heaviest package.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1372216854|3472439 said:
kenny said:

Brands, Schmands.
Sorry, I only do brands on diamonds and Hondas.

With sheets, I go for the highest thread count and the heaviest package.

I always go for high thread count and buy what is on sale. I'd never pay full price for sheets.

Another important is making sure the color works with your skin tone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results