shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help. Is this safe?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lola Pink

Rough_Rock
Hello, I've been a long time lurker here on PS. I love diamonds and jewelry and it's so much fun reading about it on here.

I have a question, and hopefully someone can help answer it.
Recently I've been trying to sell my chopard watch. I have it listed on craigslist for $11,000 and someone actually emailed me today and said he'll pay me $10,000 but will only do it if I agree to go through FEDEX or UPS with their 'insured secured funds COD'. Which basically means, he will hand over to FEDEX or UPS a bank certified cashier's check or money order when they arrive to deliver the watch. Is this method generally safe?
33.gif

Please help.

Thanks in advance!

Lola Pink

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
DON''T DO IT!!! I used to work at a bank for many years, and many people have a misconception that a cashier''s/bank check means that the funds are guaranteed. You need to take into account that there are forgeries out there that look just like the real thing. The buyer of the check can also claim that the check was lost and have a stop payment placed on it. If either of the two scenarios happen, then you''re stuck. Since this is considered the holiday season, the percentage of scams like these tend to go up.

I would recommend setting up an account with PayPal and using them instead. For such a high-dollar item, peace of mind counts a lot more than the nominal fee charged by the service.

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
Hi Lola Pink!

Please don''t do it! Most non-local transactions are scams and in this case trust your instincts that this is not right.

Read Craiglists info about scams, specifically:

Most scams meet involve one or more of the following:
-long-distance buyer or seller
-offer includes a cashier''s check, postal money order, Western Union, or escrow service (BidPay, Squaretrade, etc.)
-refusal to meet face-to-face

Good luck on selling your watch ....I am sure it is gorgeous!
face1.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DON"T DO IT!!! THIS IS A SCAM
38.gif
I GUARANTEE IT. especially if the cashier''s check is from a canadian bank AND don''t send your watch to Indonesia, you can kiss it goodbye. this kind of scam has been going on for a long time on Timezone and Watchnet.

Lola Pink

Rough_Rock
Okay, thanks guys. Not going to do it. I was feeling a little awkward with the emailer. I have the watch insured with Safeco. But I''d feel pretty bad if I had to make a claim for it when I didn''t feel safe about it in the first place. Though I have to say in the beginning I was feeling tempted. But the more I about it, the fishier it seemed. Okay, so it''s a no go.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I''m late, but I''m still glad you didn''t go through with it. It just screamed scam!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results