shape
carat
color
clarity

Plastic Surgery Anyone???

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I know this is an extremely personal decision so you don't need to give details about what you had done...but what I want to know is were you happy with the outcome? Was it worth it? How bad was the pain?

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1361974886|3391704 said:
I know this is an extremely personal decision so you don't need to give details about what you had done...but what I want to know is were you happy with the outcome? Was it worth it? How bad was the pain?

I haven't, but I very seriously considered it when I was around 21. Booked myself in with a surgeon and everything. I ended up changing my mind, afraid that I was considering it for the wrong reasons, and even more afraid it would start me down a slippery slope of trying to 'fix' everything 'wrong' with me.

I used the money to travel to Europe instead. Trip of a lifetime, and one that started me down the path to living in Australia. It was definitely the right decision for me at the time.

That being said, I'd still consider it in the future, if conventional methods don't give me the results I want or babies wreck havoc on my body. :)) I'd go home to do it though, so I have an excuse to see my parents, my mother could be around me while I was recovering ("MOM! I need some soup! :lol: ), and the surgical costs would be about half that of Australian pricing.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom had a face lift, her upper and lower eyes done, a double chin eliminated (sorry for not knowing the technical terms.) She also had a light resurfacing with a laser. For three weeks post surgery, she was unrecognizable. It was frightening how swollen and wounded she was. Slowly the swelling went down and you could sort of recognize her. Then, the healing plateaued, she remained swollen. She went to the surgeon and complained, but he said to wait a year. It's almost a year, and there are still things that are unsatisfactory and swollen. I will say the texture of her skin looks amazing from the light resurfacing and there are NO wrinkles under her eyes whatsoever.

The thing is, although she carefully contemplated the SURGERY, I feel she impulsively chose the SURGEON. I think that she would have been happier if she had really taken her time to find a good surgeon. You need to talk to people about their doctors. The problem she is faced with now is to put herself through the trauma of surgery again, which she does NOT want to do. She is also faced with the unsavory choice of going back to the surgeon who didn't do it right in the first place or paying a large amount of money to another surgeon to have it done right (which would be my choice.)

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I did have a breast reduction several years ago. One of the best things I've ever done for myself. I was in constant and significant pain due to the constant strain to my back. It was deemed medically necessary. I was happy with the outcome. It was painful but worth it to me. It was nice to be perky for awhile but alas, gravity takes over. At this point, I am in serious need of the benefits of Victoria's Secret courtesy of a substantial weight loss. I have no plans to have a lift.

I actually do have a consultation scheduled with the same surgeon for next week to investigate the possibilities of a tummy tuck. I have lost about 112 lbs. in the last 14 months. I have about 20 to go, I think. Unfortunately, my skin hasn't responded as well as I'd hoped at this point. I have made no decision but I am interested in learning if I am a good candidate, recovery period, pain, cost, etc. Right now, I'm only interested in information gathering.

My surgeon was very good about giving me information about what to expect pain-wise and aesthetics to expect. I expect him to be clear about reality with another possible procedure. There is lots of information online from people who have experienced any plastic surgery. I encourage you to research and read actual patient accounts. It's important to have all of the information you need when considering any procedure. Consultations are typically free.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never had PS, but the thread's title is, " Plastic Surgery Anyone???" so I'll answer that question.
Regarding cosmetic procedures (not medically indicated) I'll answer, "No."
Age related body changes are natural, so IMHO I should come to peace with them. (notice my opinion only applies to me)

Time will eventually win anyway, so I'd spend that money on therapy to help me accept reality, which actually I did years ago.
One PS often leads to others and I'll spare you the pics of 70 year olds trying to cling to looking 20.
Then for the next 50 years I'll be more accepting and at peace with my body shriveling, wrinkling, and sagging more and more as I slide downhill to my grave. :saint:

Yes people vary and get PS if you want it.
But you asked for a sample of our opinions.
Do what you want, our approval or disapproval doesn't matter.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Er ... she didn't ask for opinions. She asked for people to describe their experiences.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1361982956|3391803 said:
Er ... she didn't ask for opinions. She asked for people to describe their experiences.

Er ... read the thread title.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1361983258|3391808 said:
Circe|1361982956|3391803 said:

Er ... read the thread title.

And then read the contents of the post. Honestly, Kenny, your "people vary" schtick is usually dismissive and an incredibly rude way of shutting down conversation, but at least it's usually at least on-topic.

Sarahbear621 said:

Those are three pretty specific questions about surgical outcomes, dude.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm interested to hear everyone's experiences, too. Thank you for starting this thread.
I never would have thought I'd EVER consider an elective surgery, but the aftermath of my C-section has been harder to stomach (har har) than I thought it would be.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Haven said:
I'm interested to hear everyone's experiences, too. Thank you for starting this thread.
I never would have thought I'd EVER consider an elective surgery, but the aftermath of my C-section has been harder to stomach (har har) than I thought it would be.

:) HA! Having had two 8+ lb. babies via c-sections, I hear ya! Definitely contributed to my issues. :-/ Never thought I'd consider it either. Life sometimes surprises you, doesn't it?

steelmagnolia

Rough_Rock
Well, I'll be totally open as the mostly lurker who spills all ;-)

A little over 2 yrs ago I had a "Mommy Makeover" for my 40th birthday gift to myself. I had a circumferential tummy tuck - that's the one where the incision goes completely around the body and they remove skin from there as well, pulling down and tightening - as well as a breast augmentation with silicone gel implants, and liposuction to my outer thighs. I do not live in Cali, but I did a ton of research for several years ahead of time and carefully chose my surgeon out of San Diego and flew there to have my surgery and stayed for 10 days afterward to begin recovery. My surgeon wanted a minimum of 14 days but because I am an RN and my MIL is as well, and she was my recovery caretaker, he was willing to bend some rules for me.

Looks-wise, I have been extremely happy with the outcome. I have had 5 pregnancies/babies, my last one being 10 lbs 2 oz and I am only 5'4" and not that large of frame. I had tons of loose skin. That was one reason for the tummy tuck going all the way around. Not that many people know this but if you have love handles that you're hoping to get rid of, a "regular" TT won't necessarily achieve that. Sometimes extending the incision beyond the hips to the sides but not around to the back will help, but in my case because I was so stretched from the multiple pgs, I needed more. I am also happy with the topping up I had, as I wasn't always quite where I wanted to be and now I am.

The biggest drawback: I am an RN and we tend to make decisions for ourselves and think we know best and don't need to tell our docs everything. I had just been preliminarily diagnosed with fibromyalgia immediately prior to my surgery. Of all the things I had knowledge of, fibro was something I truly didn't know much about and I was probably also in quite a lot of denial. I had also already lived with it for so long that I was accustomed to what issues it caused me, and couldn't even begin to fathom what could change with surgery. Without making this incredibly long, I will just say that I have had long lasting pain issues due to this. Fibro causes the brain to send pain signals incorrectly and so my body perceives the pain to be much worse than it is, or to perceive it differently than it should. Had I told my docs about this, I might have been able to make a more clearly informed decision. And in all honesty, I likely would have had the "it won't happen to ME" attitude and gone forth anyway. At least I wouldn't have been so confused and scared later about why my pain just wouldn't let up when everyone else I knew who had had the same types of surgery was long out of pain, though.

In the immediate post-op period, the pain wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined it to be. I had a special type of implanted pain system that kept my incision numb for at least 5 days post-op and then some oral pain meds for a little while after. The upper part really wasn't even an issue and I was surprised that the ladies who had told me it wasn't really bad at all were right. Recovery for anything takes its time, but if the fibro hadn't interfered I would say that it definitely would have been worth it and I would have done it again.

As it stands, I probably should've gotten a really big OEC in a beautiful vintage platinum setting and called it good but you know what they say about hindsight ... :lol:

gemtastic

Shiny_Rock
One of my best friends had a breast REDUCTION last month and had horrific complications...lost skin from both breasts, nipples intact though. She tried years ago to get it covered by insurance, but didn't qualify, so she saved for years to pay cash. The complications have cost her thousands more than she planned for (hyperbaric oxygen treatments, special dressing supplies). She went to a high volume surgeon and lives in an area of the country where plastic surgery is extremely commonplace.

Complications happen. Even if they are 1-3%, someone eventually will be that physician's 1-3%, and unfortunately it was her.
I think that if anyone is considering any elective surgery, then need to consider the worst case scenario and if that is acceptable to them. She has pulled through and states that she would do it again she is so happy with her smaller breasts.

Keep in mind, plastic surgeons only have "look books" of their best work; no one photographs failed grafts, open wounds, encapsulated breast implants, or lumpy liposuction to show their potential customers.

For me, I don't think I would undergo any facial plastics if the worst case scenario would be to look like Kenny Rogers does now. But.....I would definitely consider inner thigh lipo :bigsmile:

I think you will find that the overwhelming majority of people are happy with their plastic surgery.....otherwise it wouldn't still be around. In terms of pain--the memory fades.

gemtastic

Shiny_Rock
Sorry steelmagnolia, was posting same time as you......wish I could delete my last sentance :nono:
Fibro is tough. Poorly understood and very frustrating. Hugs to you

NewShiny

Shiny_Rock
I had rhinoplasty, septoplasty, turbinate reduction and concha bullosa resection (the last three procedures were for my sinuses) three weeks ago. I have always wanted to get rid of what I percieved to be the huge, ugly witch's hump on my nose but I thought it was too vain of me to do anything about it. Fast forward to last year, when I started having sinus infection after sinus infection - I think I had 4 infections in about 6 months. I was finally referred to an ENT and had a CT scan, which showed a host of sinus issues. In talking to the ENT, I asked if procedure to repair my deviated septum would do anything to improve the hump on my nose. He said it would be a little straighter, but the bump would still be there. He then went on to tell me if it was something I wanted to consider, there was a plastic surgeon he worked closely with that could remove the hump at the same time he performed the sinus surgery. He also told me if I was considering the cosmetic portion, it would be best to have the medical and cosmetic procedures done concurrently for the best outcome. Insurance covered the ENT portion and I paid out of pocket for the cosmetic part.

Needing sinus surgery for medical reasons was the push I needed to go through with the rhinoplasty I've always wanted. The surgery itself was fine and there wasn't much pain involved. I took pain pils to sleep for the first 2-3 days and then it was just miserable being stuffy (not being able to breathe out of your nose) and full of sinus pressure the first one-two weeks. I only took 1 week off work but should have taken 2 due to the need for swelling to go down. Bruising wasn't too bad thanks to the pre and post surgery vitamins and supplements that my surgeon recommended.

Due to the swelling and pressure put on by the cast/splint that was on my nose for a week, I was horrified at what I'd done to my face when I got the splint off and stitches removed in the dr's office a week after surgery. I felt like I had a disfigured Bozo the Clown nose. But a week after that, when the swelling really started to subside and I put on my full makeup and I got dressed up for a dinner with friends, I could really start to tell how great it was looking and I wondered to myself why I hadn't gotten it done sooner (now I know it was becuase I was destined to have sinus problems!). I'm still waiting for the internal swelling to go away so I don't know yet if my sinus issues are better and I know I have about 15-20% more swelling to dissapate on the tip of my nose. Even with this, I'm so happy with my new look.

It's hard to answer your questions about it being worth it and going through the pain without knowing what surgery you are considering, becuase they all have very different effects and recoveries. This is just my experience for what it's worth.

The one thing I would say to someone considering a cosmetic procedure is to caution you to do cosmetic surgery for yourself only. Truthfully, one of my best friends couldn't see a difference when I saw her for the first time after surgery a couple of days ago and she even asked me to show her my "before" picture. In general, no one has noticed unless they knew about the surgery beforehand. This is a good thing in my opinion. BUT, if you are expecting changes to the way that others see you (literally), cosmetic surgery may not be a good idea. Rhinoplasty was for me and my self confidence only.

JustGinger, your story has me smiling b/c my parents offered my sister money for either rhinoplasty or a trip to Europe when she finished undergrad and she took the surgery! That was almost 10 years ago and she still says it was the right decision for her.

Sorry, this is so long, but the topic is fresh to me due to my recent surgery. Hope it helps somewhat. If you have any questions I'm an open book - I don't mind sharing my experience with this at all.

meg_

Shiny_Rock
I had elective rhinoplasty when I was 20 and ten years later, I'm still incredibly glad I did. My giant nose effected my self esteem so strongly that it was really steering the direction of my life at that point. Recovery was pretty intense, but it's over so quickly that in the overall picture, I hardly remember it.

Now, two kids later, I'm starting to think about another "upgrade". ;-)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
At the ripe old age of 21, I had a breast reduction. I was a 32GG (although I probably needed up be in a 32HH) and went down to a 32C directly after surgery. Now, almost 10 years and one bambino later, I'm a 34DD. They removed around 7 pounds of tissue.

It was deemed medically necessary, and I paid $500 out of pocket for a $20k surgery. My surgeon said that mine were the biggest he'd ever dealt with, and he was going to write a letter to the insurance company because he wanted to make sure that they didn't try to deny me.

Were you happy with the outcome?
Yes, absolutely. I had to wake up and put on a bra immediately before the surgery, otherwise I'd have severe back pain all day. I had huge semi-permanent ridges on top of my shoulders from the bra straps supporting my breasts and putting pressure on such a small area of my shoulders. The size difference was huge to me - suddenly my defining physical feature wasn't my breasts. I cannot tell you how many times I'd been asked if I had had breast implants before the reduction

Was it worth it?
Yes. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

How bad was the pain?
It wasn't fun, but it certainly helped to prepare me for my C-section. The pain from the incisions wasn't really that bad. It was more that I was used to sleeping on my stomach, and I HAD to lie on my back for recovery. The pressure that put on my spine was awful, and that hurt more than the actual incisions. I remember getting up in the middle of the night and walking around just to avoid the pain.

My surgeon warned me going into surgery that there was the possibility for numbness because he would protect the central nerve as much as he could, but he couldn't do as much for the little ones. I do have widespread numbness.

I would totally do it again. I think about having future surgeries (I think a tummy tuck would be first on that list, thanks to the kiddo), but nothing on my face!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
purplesparklies|1361984070|3391819 said:
Haven said:

:) HA! Having had two 8+ lb. babies via c-sections, I hear ya! Definitely contributed to my issues. :-/ Never thought I'd consider it either. Life sometimes surprises you, doesn't it?

THIS is exactly what I'm talking about! I had 2 babies 8 lbs+ (both born 3 weeks early...thank GOODNESS I never made it to 40wks!) and I'm really intereted in doing the surgery to fix that area, plus maybe something extra. I work out and for the most part I'm pretty healthy but that area has not improved at all. My concern is really do people find it worth it? I'm not trying to stay and look young forever- just try to feel better about myself and how I look currently (i'm still in my 20's). However, from giving birth as well as other small medical procedures I know that I scar easily and take a lot longer to heal then most people. I'm curious to just hear ppl's stories and how they feel about everything afterwards.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had my umbilical hernia fixed several months after I had our son. Now, I wish I'd waited and had everything fixed at the same time. The umbilical hernia is something I've had since birth, and it never bothered me, until I got pregnant w/London. Well, most times when you have an umbilical hernia it's not just the belly button that's affected, it's your entire abdomen. Where your abs connect in the center isn't going to be as strong since you basically have a hole in the center where your belly button is, and the connective tissue is weak. I had that fixed, not realizing the problems it was going to cause. Nobody ever told me. None of the physicians I talked to, not the surgeon, no one. Now, had I talked to a plastic surgeon in the beginning (why would you tho, for this?) or talked w/people in the fitness industry, they could've told me this.

So, I have mesh inside to fix the umbilical hernia...but the abs above and below that are separated. It's called a diastasis. And it sucks. Now, after doing further research on what I've been having problems with, I find out that I need to have a tummy tuck and have the surgeon sew the muscles together. I talked w/the surgeon who did my hernia surgery and he told me no one ever has a diastasis fixed b/c it's a lot of pain for something that isn't an issue. Well, sad to say, it IS an issue if your abs don't work properly. Back pain, ab pain, incontinence, intestinal issues, the feeling that your insides are falling out and moving, yeah it's not fun.

When I was pregnant w/London I carried her low, like about in my knees low. So she stretched the bottom part out. My belly button looked like a saucer it was so huge. Then Trapper came along and I carried him clear up in my lungs, so he stretched out the top part.

It's not covered by insurance, ever, b/c it's still considered a tummy tuck, which is cosmetic. There is a little extra skin, tho some of it would go down if I lost about 15 more pounds. Still, it's been enough of an issue that I'm hoping to have it fixed right after the school year ends this year. I have been in contact w/a fitness professional who had hers fixed a couple months ago so have been getting pointers from her and that's helped.

The hernia surgery hurt, but I took three days off work and that was it. Didn't hurt as bad as the 2 C-sections, and it didn't hurt as bad as having my tonsils out two years ago. I can't say it was worth it since I ended up still having problems.

If we could swing it, I'd have my boobs fixed and enlarged. They're lopsided from nursing the kids and look ridiculous. And, if we could swing it further, I'd have some work done around my eyes. Brow lift and something for wrinkles.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1361983813|3391815 said:
Give it time Haven. Very close to birth, things look horrific after a C-section, but a year later and things look much better, 2 years later and things look even better. That was my experience anyway.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
please post some before and after pics... ;))

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I had rhinoplasty and mentoplasty 15 years ago. I have never regretted it. I've already told DH I'm planning to have a browlift by the time I'm 50. LOL

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I had an upper eye lid reduction about 3.5 years ago. I hadn't been able to wear eye makeup for about 2 years due to the lids resting on my lashes. My main driving force was my wedding and wanting to be able to wear eye makeup and have nice photos. I had been suffering from daily headaches for years and my eyes always felt tired... Finally put 2 and 2 together and discovered that the heavy drooping eyelids were causing my headaches as I was constantly walking around with raised eyebrows so I could see better.

Fortunately, the surgery was considered medically necessary and only cost me $1200 out of pocket. To have it done for purely cosmetic reasons would have been in excess of 10k.

I'm so happy I had it done, not only can I wear eye makeup again, but the daily headaches have disappeared and my eyes don't feel heavy and tired anymore.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, pain not bad, best money I've ever spent.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had several over the years. Breast implants at the age of 40, breast lifts (2) just recently had my second (they don't last indefinitely). Had a TT a few years back, had my eyelids done. I don't regret either of them, the pain was bearable with each. I really have enjoyed the results.
I will say that you have to be careful because when you fix one thing, you want another.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Wow more PSers have had plastic surgery than I imagined. I'm in the no camp myself (I know too much about what can go wrong) but I'm glad some of you have had great results. :))

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1362021003|3392340 said:
I have had several over the years. Breast implants at the age of 40, breast lifts (2) just recently had my second (they don't last indefinitely). Had a TT a few years back, had my eyelids done. I don't regret either of them, the pain was bearable with each. I really have enjoyed the results.
I will say that you have to be careful because when you fix one thing, you want another.

Can I ask many years later you had the second breast lift surgery? I have been thinking about having the surgery but I am really wondering how long it will last.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had 2 babies, no c section, but I was "all belly" for both so even though I have loast almost all the weight, the extra few are all what is hanging from my belly. ugh! I tell people that I would totally do PS, someday... once I have had a chance to go to the gym and realise that it won't get fixed with exercise.... even my obstetritian kept telling me due to the size of my baby belly, I will end up having lots of loose skin... so there u have it.... I am SO not pleased with what pregnancy has done to my body...,

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I plan on it. When in done having babies. It will be my "no more babies" present to myself. Not sure what it will involve, but definitely a breast lift. I've got plenty there, but they aren't point north anymore. Possibly a tummy tuck. I have to see what my body is like after I lose the baby weight and then decide.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kindred|1362025319|3392381 said:
bright ice|1362021003|3392340 said:

Can I ask many years later you had the second breast lift surgery? I have been thinking about having the surgery but I am really wondering how long it will last.

It has been 10 years since my first, although I had really needed another for the past 3-4 years. I think the average is about 7-10 years.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't yet, but I have been thinking about it for years. 5 kids, 4 C-sections, enough said. If I pull the trigger, I will probably go with a very well known surgeon. I am just too afraid to try someone unknown. I am not sure it would make a difference but it is a definitely a head thing. I would have a tummy tuck and a breast lift. I don't think I want to deal with repeated surgeries from augmentation.

My mom had a face-lift, and rhinoplasty in her late 50's. I remember thinking she didn't have any wrinkles before. When I came home from school that day and saw her lying on the couch I almost passed out. She looked like she had taken a horrible beating. A few weeks later she looked great. She was very happy with the results.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results