shape
carat
color
clarity

Planning Stages for 25th :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
For my 25th anniversary, I am planning to have a pendant made. I currently do not have a pendant but I know (roughly) that I want one that looks like a daisy. This may be my last major purchase (other than resetting my diamond which might be this year if I can clean out the garage haha - motivation!! - or maybe getting another set of diamond studs if I ever have the guts to double pierce my ears lol) so I want to make it a good one.

I'm still in the planning stages, but am thinking of buying the center stone fairly soon if I find the right one. I would like an OEC that is a low color but not fancy yellow - I am not a fan of SUPER yellow unless it has an orange tint. I would love to find something subtle but with enough contrast. My questions are: What is the sweet spot for price on light yellow stones, what is the likelihood I could get one on the apricot side, and what sizes/ratios do you think would be good? How many white diamonds? I'm thinking odd may be better... but it could be 5 or 6 or 7 or 9 or 12... should they be tiny with a big center, or should the center be moderate with more little bling around the outside? What about the overall size for something I would wear every day and sleep in? Obviously not larger than a quarter... but should it be smaller than a dime? I do not have a pendant so I'm not really in the know about practicality. I do know I want the chain(s) to be adjustable. So to sum it up:

What overall size is not too big for every day?
What size center diamond?
What color center diamond?
How many/what size surrounding diamonds?

Thanks PS Pals!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go to apricot/peach, you are talking fancy color diamonds and a lot more money, potentially, than a light yellow WXYZ range stone. Plus the fact I think finding that in an OEC would be next to impossible. You might find a brownish tone but otherwise low color will be yellow.

I certainly wouldn't want an everyday pendant the size of a quarter. I'd probably aim for a carat to 1.25 (6.5-7mm) in light yellow. Then I'd have the white diamond halo. In your case since you want it like petals, you could either individually bezel each halo diamond or do them shared, prong so the rounded part looks like a scalloped edge. I think one idea would be to do rose cuts on the halo.

Here's a ring just to give you an idea:

http://www.escobardiamonds.com/showcase.aspx?showcaseid=3

And if you like the rose cuts, I'd have them make it!

Ok, link won't go directly to the picture, so here it is..

jerosecut.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the proportions of the one above. We won't be able to tell you how many halo diamonds. That will all depend on your center stone and what kinds of diamonds you use to surround the stone. Work with a designer like those at Joe Escobar and they will help you with the proportions once you choose the center stone.

I don't know if Grace would split this pair, but here is an example of a light yellow OEC:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/matched-pairs-and-suites/2-74tcw-light-yellow-old-european-cut-diamond-pair.html#.UxO18PldWSo

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you DS! So you think the center should be over a carat? My 20th anniversary ring has 1/3 carat stones and I do think they're small, but I don't have anything in the 1 carat range. Is XYZ the sweet spot for size and color?
When approaching the "petals" I could either choose a number and let that dictate the size, or choose a size and let that dictate the number... if I do a lot of little ones it will look more like a halo... if I do 5 or 7 that are fairly close in size, but smaller, I'd need to go smaller on the center I think, because I don't think I could pull off 7-8 carats in a pendant for every day haha. I think 1/3 carat might be nice for the outer stones... or maybe 1/4 carat. Hmm... I do like those rose cuts, but I think I'd like it more if the center was rose cut given the flower motif. What do you think?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure you could do rose cuts in the center. And by all means you could do a smaller center and larger petals. So you don't have to have a larger center at all. I have a .80 diamond that I want to out in some kind of halo because it just doesn't do much for me in a bezel. So I think you can use any size.

This isn't exactly a flower, but it shows a smaller center rose cut with a larger outer area:

http://www.kwiat.com/fine-diamond-jewelry/ruby-diamond-ring-kwiat-vintage-collection-platinum/p/57947/3/0/337

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your 25th anniversary coming up :appl:

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!

How about pave for the petals? Here are some images I pulled off Google. The last two are from Tiffany. More complicated than you
probably want but perhaps helpful re scale etc. :wavey:

_15469.jpg

_15470.jpg

_15471.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on 25 years Sara!!! I think your pendant idea is beautiful. You know who I think would be amazing for this project...mike robinson but not sure he is accepting projects at this time.

Here are some more pics and a few links just to give you more ideas though I know it is more involved than what you are thinking of I thought it might help solidify exactly what you want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-Discontinued-Tiffany-Co-Platinum-Diamond-Daisy-By-Paloma-Picasso-/141193441479?pt=US_Fine_Necklaces_Pendants&hash=item20dfc8f0c7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Giorgio-Visconti-Diamond-Daisy-Flower-Necklace-/171251926636?pt=US_Fine_Necklaces_Pendants&hash=item27df69066c

robertocoindaisypendant.jpg

pinksapphiredaimondrdg.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow - there are some real beauties there - things I hadn't considered! I really love the pendant with the 5 pear rose cut diamonds but I think that's going to be more than I want for an every day thing. Missy - that pic with the loops of diamonds for the petals is awesome, something I hadn't thought of and is really something I am going to consider! I think that would make the size a bit bigger though.

What overall finished/done size do you think is good for an every day pendant? DS said a quarter is too big... should I be looking at nickel or dime size?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another really silly question, but do you think odd or even number of petals? I keep going back and forth but tend toward odd just to keep it a bit more organic perhaps - what do you think?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missy - I looked at the two links you posted (I previously thought they were the same as the pics you posted) and the tiffany pendant made it pretty clear to me that I want something BIGGER than that! haha I do like the simple design though! The other one was lovely as well, but definitely not simple - would be really blingy though! I've done searches on this in the past, many times, but I really think that the one you posted is a front runner! I could have those loops made as long or as round as I wanted (not that I know which I want) and as close together as I want as well. I don't want it to catch on stuff - it's kind of the balance between not having something round and having it too organic looking and catching on stuff. I could possibly have the petals overlap a bit the way they do IRL so that there is less catch space between petals. Hmm.... or not lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results