shape
carat
color
clarity

Pilates reformer recommendations...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm new to Pilates and in the last couple of months have been using a Balance Body Studio Reformer at PT and loving it. Well, maybe loving it is too strong a word as I call it the Studio Torturer Reformer LOL. Seriously though I am enjoying the exercises and am wondering if anyone here has the home Allegro BB model for personal use.

Or if anyone can recommend a good Pilates Reformer home model. I am looking for a Pilates machine and not mat exercises as my rehab necessitates the use of a more formal/controlled format.

My research so far indicates that the Allegro BB reformer might be my best option for home use and we already mapped out a space (no easy feat) in our home for it. Before I make that financial and space commitment though I would love hearing from any PSers who do Pilates as to what they might suggest or any thoughts they have on this.

Thanks.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy! I am a pilates girl! I am on my second machine. Both were bought from QVC. The first was a all metal reformer that was on metal legs and not quite as sturdy as I would have liked. My second was bought maybe 8 or 9 years ago. I think it was called an Aero Pilates XL. But it is on 4x4 wooden base. The one thing I would recommend is that whatever machine you get, I would make sure it is elevated off the ground on a very sturdy base. Mine has 4 cords but I have seen some with 5 now. I like the flexibility that pilates gives you. I dont use mine every day but I can sure feel it when I have been away from it for a few weeks or months and I know I must get back to it.

I have seen a machine on Costco.com that I thought looked pretty good. I paid about 750 for my last one, but I think a good one now runs between 2000 and 2500. I wouldn't even mess with the lower end models anymore. Mine has one of those mini trampoline thingys, but I dont use it. You might like it for your leg strengthening though. I love the machine for stretching out my calves and feet. I would be in pain without it.

My heavier machine came with a mat to go under it, but since it is on a carpeted floor, I have round furniture moving discs under it. If yours will be on a wood or tile floor the mat would be good if you need to move it at all.

I think costco has the one you like at a discount right now. It is so much easier to use an elevated machine than on flat on the ground IMHO. That is the one thing I would avoid. Any muscle stiffness or pain makes it really hard to get that flat on the ground. Though your whole life you will have periods of that, injured or not. Just a few inches can make a big difference!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for that info luv2sparkle! I cannot believe Costco has it but you are right! Unfortunately it is the one without the legs but I *think* since it is from/by Balanced Body I can purchase the legs separately. I will call them Monday and find out if that is possible. I definitely cannot get one flat on the ground and was looking for the 14 inch elevation. I can barely get myself up from the sofa lol. :oops:

I would love to get the Studio Reformer by Balanced Body but it cannot be moved or stored upright so not the best option for us. My dh is onboard with me getting one but prefers we can move it and put it upright when he wants to use the library room where we are going to put it. We have a lot of exercise equipment so no room in my exercise room for the pilates reformer so it is a compromise as I would just love having that Studio Reformer. It's so pretty IMO but my dh doesn't think so haha. He's so picky. :cheeky:

The one you have sounds like an amazing deal because from my research it seems that the price on anything solid and well built (to last) is much higher these days but the Costco deal is pretty good! Thanks for the heads up on that. :appl:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My machine was a good deal even way back when. A couple days after I ordered it they raised the price $200. Needless to say, I was thrilled! QVC still has the Stamina AeroPilates XP 556, which is similar to my model. It does have wheels to move it out of the way. I think it is a pretty good value at $899.

I have mine in my bedroom. I slide it up against the wall and pull it out to use it. Hence, the furniture sliders underneath the feet. It is not hard at all. Maybe something like that would work for you, but the QVC model does have wheels on on side so I am sure it could be stood up against a wall as well.

Once your hubby sees what a difference it can make for you he won't mind at all. Plus the price is a little lower. Honestly, I have used the more expensive machines, and while they are very fluid, I feel I get just as good a workout on my home machine. I do it more often because I can fit it in my schedule rather than the studio's. So that is a win for me.

I also like the videos you get from QVC. It help me remember all the exercises. I have been doing it so long that I have the level one and level two memorized so I no longer have to watch them. They were a great help to me when I started.

f184880.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for that recommendation luv2sparkle.

I am very tempted by the Allegro at Costco.com but worried about the no legs as I cannot imagine getting down and up from that one. I am waiting till tomorrow when I can directly speak to a Balanced Body rep and see if legs can be ordered separately or if I have to purchase it as is. Costco just has the flat Allegro on their website so if I had to go directly with BB I would be paying (to get the 14 inch model with legs) $800 more not including tax and shipping. Costco has shipping included in their awesome price so it really is a big savings. I am reconsidering the no leg model for that reason but as you wrote it might be a terrible idea to do that.

I am going to look into the model you recommended but wanted to purchase something similar to what I am using in PT now and the BB reformer has many rave reviews. Of course the fact that you love and use yours means a lot to me so thank you and I am off to do some more research. I have to decide quickly if I am to get the Costco deal as it is over this week. Ugh not ready to make such a quick decision but I do love saving money!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Missy- did you look on Ebay? There is the model you like with legs (14 inch!) for $1250. Looks like a great deal. That machine looks awesome. I didn't really get an up close look until I saw the ebay listing!

It looks like it is for local pick up only but maybe there is a way to get it shipped. It's in Louisiana. Hmmmm.....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL great minds think alike. I have been chatting with the seller and am waiting to hear how much shipping would cost. He said he would be willing to ship if I pay which is what I asked him. However he has not since replied since I said that was good with me. He has not replied to my question of how much it might be. I last spoke with him Thursday night. So maybe he has changed his mind.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending dust and keeping my fingers crossed for you that it works out. I may have to upgrade to that machine at some point. I love the springs versus the cords. It really looks like a great machine!

Maybe a compsny like DHL would pack and ship, and the seller wouldnt have to do anything.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi luv2sparkle! Just wanted to update you and also thank you for your help. I just ordered the Allegro Reformer through Costco and through Balanced Body. My sales rep Katie was a big help and told me ordering it from Costco was the better deal as it was possible to order the 14 inch legs to retrofit the reformer from Costco. So I have both orders complete and now just waiting for shipping confirmation from Costco as Katie already shipped the legs.

I could have purchased it less expensively through ebay but it would have been a used model and I was also relying on the seller's accurate representation of the condition they were in so though there were a few options this was the better one for us. My dh wanted us to get a new one with the warranty intact so even though it was more money in the long run it is worth it for us.

Thanks again and fingers crossed it was a worthwhile purchase for our overall well being and health and that we will both enjoy using it. :wavey:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's awesome Missy! I'm sure you will love it and it is a whole lot less stressful! I am going to have to take a class at a studio and look at the new machines. Mine may be close to 10 years old. Old enough, that the professional ones even at rehab and cords instead of springs!

With Costco you should have it pretty quick!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks luv2sparkle. I think it takes about 2 weeks from ordering to shipping or at least something like that. It's OK as I am not in a rush per se since I still have plenty of exercises to do to keep me busy lol. Though I am looking forward to getting it as once the weather is less palatable to take longer walks outside I have a lot of variety for exercise indoors.

I definitely think you should look into the spring system as the reviews are very favorable. Let me see if I can find the link that convinced me to go to this system when I first started my research.

Here are some links that may be helpful to you in your search. I also think that some gyms have the BB reformer that you can try and of course Pilates studios. In my neighborhood there are some studios that have the Allegro in fact.

http://pilates.about.com/od/pilatesequipment/ss/Best-Pilates-Reformer-2011-Readers-Choice-Awards_2.htm

http://pilates.about.com/od/buyingequipmentetc/ss/Pilates-Winners-Of-The-2011-Readers-Choice-Awards_2.htm

http://www.centerworks.com/what-to-consider-when-shopping-for-a-pilates-reformer-to-use-at-home/

I will update this thread when it arrives and I have had a chance to use it and form some opinions. I have never seen the Allegro in person as we have the BB Studio Reformer at PT but I am hoping it is similar in use.

Your reformer rates pretty highly too so if you are still enjoying it and it is in good shape despite the age I am not sure I would switch it for another. Check this out. Isn't this similar to yours?
http://handyidea.com/best-pilates-reformer/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results