shape
carat
color
clarity

pets and surgery

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
MC had to be neutered yesterday, and it turned into a much bigger surgery because his testes hadn''t descended properly so she had to open his tummy. Well, fine. But he just had a terrible reaction to the drugs. He would go in and out of sleep and just be either enraged or screaming in pain when he woke up--I have a few puncture wounds and a really swollen knuckle to prove it.. He couldn''t keep anything down, could walk, couldn''t make it to the litter, can barely lift his little head.

I took him back in today and she is keeping him for observation for 2-3 days with an IV drip so he doesn''t get too dehydrated. I''m usually really good in a crisis but he''s so little and I feel like it''s my fault he''s in so much pain (I know, it''s not true, but I still feel that way. clearly I will be a crying mess when my kids get sick. can''t even handle the kitten.)

So my question is, has anyone else had this happen?? She said this can happen sometimes, some animals just really react badly to the drugs? I know some people have bad reactions to general...

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i don''t have any answers, but i wanted to say i''m glad i didn''t read this before friday. that''s when cosmo got fixed. i was already a worried mess.
i got him chipped and his teeth cleaned as well. a lot for the little guy, but he came out of it just fine so far.

good luck with mc. hope he has a speedy recovery and is as good as new.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some animals do react badly to anaesthetic, plus this turned out to not be routine as his testes hadn''t descended. Poor little chap, it is probably best that he stays in for a day or two for observation and appropriate pain relief etc. Please keep us posted. Maybe ecf will be on the boards and see this if we are lucky.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
thanks loreli, I''m hoping she gives him something for the pain as well--there are really very few animal-specific products here though so I don''t know what she can use. I like this vet and she''s proven very competent so far---but here they are spotty about autoclaving scalpels for use on PEOPLE, much less cats, so I am just worried something went wrong/she screwed up the drugs. No way to tell though. When I came in she freaked out for a minute until she checked his pupils and saw he was reacting normally, so there is no brain damage at least.

I think she felt badly because she is keeping him and treating him for free for the next 2 or 3 days. There''s something that won''t happen back home.

JCrow, I got mine chipped as well. It''s a European chip so it''s in a little different place (side of the neck) than an American one, but I think if I register it with the AKC''s central database it should still work fine.

BTW, wanted to thank all you PS cat-people who have given me advice with MC, it really has been such a huge help. I''ve never raised one this little before and all your support and suggestions have been wonderful.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to have helped RT. It could have been many factors why he reacted this way with the anesthetic, types used and methods of admin and also his individual tolerances. I have had some cats been as bright as buttons on collection after a GA and a couple that took a long time to come out of it, but the main thing is that MC will be fine! Please keep us updated, and sending out a hug to you - I know how worrying it is!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any news on how he is RT?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2007 1:43:28 PM
Author: rainbowtrout
The vet hasn''t called me, which I assume is good news. At least I hope so.
I think you can assume he is doing fine then!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry I don''t have any answers to your questions. I just wanted to chime in and convey my concern about you and your baby. I know how difficult it can be with a patient that can''t tell you where or why they hurt. You feel helpless and the stress is off the charts. Sounds as if he is in good hands. You have my support!

When you get him back home he will feel better and glad to be in your care again. Keep us posted. My fur balls send him a speedy recovery with their tails wagging and a friendly recovery bark!!
emdog.gif
emdog.gif

DKS

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
RT that is totally stressful. I can imagine exactly how you feel. I was a nervous wreck the whole day when Holly got spayed. Thankfully it was completely routine, didn''t have to give her pain meds or anything, she barely acted like anything happened. Wasn''t lethargic at all.

Poor little baby MC. That''s a rough go of it for sure. I''m sure that made you feel awful but please try not to - it is not your fault and this definitely needed to be done.

I''m thinking about you guys - please keep us posted. Head bonks from Holly and Chloe.

ps. I didn''t forget about the play aggression thing - in the book I have from the library it says exactly what we already talked about in the thread - nothing new.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 6:34:34 AM
Author:rainbowtrout
MC had to be neutered yesterday, and it turned into a much bigger surgery because his testes hadn''t descended properly so she had to open his tummy. Well, fine. But he just had a terrible reaction to the drugs. He would go in and out of sleep and just be either enraged or screaming in pain when he woke up--I have a few puncture wounds and a really swollen knuckle to prove it.. He couldn''t keep anything down, could walk, couldn''t make it to the litter, can barely lift his little head.

I took him back in today and she is keeping him for observation for 2-3 days with an IV drip so he doesn''t get too dehydrated. I''m usually really good in a crisis but he''s so little and I feel like it''s my fault he''s in so much pain (I know, it''s not true, but I still feel that way. clearly I will be a crying mess when my kids get sick. can''t even handle the kitten.)

So my question is, has anyone else had this happen?? She said this can happen sometimes, some animals just really react badly to the drugs? I know some people have bad reactions to general...
I''ve never had this happen with one of my pets, but my daughter had a horrible reaction after visiting the dentist once. Does that count?

I hope your kitty is doing better. This would stress me out too. Keep us posted...poor kitty
7.gif
emcat.gif

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
My youngest dog is like this. He had a terrible reaction once to a vaccine and the vet had to sedate him. He was crying and whining and spinning in circles. Also, the slightest bit of pain from a pulled muscle, etc.. freaks him out! He strained a muscle in his leg the other day and now he yelps in the middle of the night and fights with the other dog because he things the older one did something to him
7.gif
The vet said he''s fine and to keep him on "bed rest." That''s a joke. I''m sure your little one will be fine. Let us know when he gets home. Don''t be shy about calling the vet to check on him or even to visit.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know honey. But lots of ((HUGS)) to you and the baby kitty. Please make sure to keep those cuts and bites seriously and treat them with antibiotic ointment.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I hope your baby gets better soon! My dog has a bad reaction to general antisthetic. He broke out in hives once and the last time he just lay on the floor whimpering and whinning for a full 24 hrs. I''m never inclined to have an annual tooth cleaning for him.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is rare but it can happen unfortunately. In the clinic I work in, we operate on approx 15-20 animals daily and we have about one to two cases a month where an animal will have a bad reaction to an anaesthetic/drugs. If he is on IV fluids, I''m 99% sure that they will have given him some pain relief. Hopefully he will be home with you shortly. I know how worrying it is when you have to leave pets into the surgery.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
FG: thanks for remembering, I have to say I will never complain about his play bites again, he *clearly* was not "really" biting me. My finger is killing me, ugh. Head bonks are good
1.gif

DKS: thanks. it really is the hardest thing not being able to tell him why or explain what on earth happened to him.

Marvel: hehe yeah it counts. I have been remembering that there is just a portion of people and animals that die or have bad reactions and there is nothing to do about it, it just can happen. As the vet said, I''m just thankful he didn''t have a heart attack on the table.

Gypsy: Thanks for the hugs. I''ve been putting tincture of betadine on them, don''t have any antibiotic cream. Maybe I should pick some up tomorrow though.

WTNLVR: Yeah, "bed rest," hah. Thank goodness I had the soft-sided crate to put him in from when he was really little.

Bee: thanks, I hope she has.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 6:34:34 AM
Author:rainbowtrout

I have not had it happen to any of my animals yet (thank god) but when I took my bird in for surgery (sounds funny but she got a really bad cut and it had to be stitched closed) they had to put her under. The vet told me that they cannot gauge how the animal (especially birds) will react to the anesthesia. I even had to sign a form saying I was informed of the risk....
I hope your baby gets well soon
12.gif

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I hope your baby is feeling better. Let us know how he''s doing.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please get some antibiotic cream. If you see any streaks of red or other colored infection streaks leading to or from the wounds get yourself to an MD ASAP, please. Cat bites and scratches can be dangerous if not treated properly.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh RT I''m so sorry to hear this happened to your baby. I''m sure they will take very good care of him.

I''ve never had this particular thing happen, although one of our kitties had to have emergency surgery when he was four months old because he was unable to urinate properly, and our (fired) vet did not diagnose the problem during the five times we rushed him in to the hospital. When we finally went to the emergency center it was scary (and he was terrified) but he is a bouncing, crazed little lunatic now so it turned out okay!

I''ll return my avatar to the picture of the little guy wearing his e-collar after surgery, poor thing.

Please let us know how he''s doing when you find out.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Aw. I would have fired your vet too! He looks cute with his little collar on. Part of the reason I''ve stayed with this woman (other than sheer lack of options, there are 3 vets in the whole city) is that she has always figured out what is wrong with him and given me the right treatment.

I''m nervous because it didn''t occur to me until now, but unlike in America neutering is not something they do very often here. She knows how, but it isn''t a routine thing she does every week, and this was a complicated one. The idea that anything with male parts is entitled to a God-given sex life is too strong.

Ugh. I wish I could do something, I hate waiting.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Oh RT... soooo sorry to hear of MC''s bad experience.
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

I can only imagine how you must feel... I would be a blithering idiot... you are holding up really well. We all know how much these little furbabies mean to all of us... and believe me, we are all holding good thoughts and sending lots of *head bonks*!

When the little sweetheart gets home, please give him an extra easy-peasy-lemon-squeezie hug from me!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
heh...I am blithering, trust me, just on the inside.
Chen almost died when he was little too, maybe it''s just a rite of passage for our cats...operative word here being *almost*.
20.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 8:41:23 PM
Author: rainbowtrout
heh...I am blithering, trust me, just on the inside.
Chen almost died when he was little too, maybe it''s just a rite of passage for our cats...operative word here being *almost*.
20.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Aww...so sorry to hear about MC''s bad experience. I have all my fingers and toes (and my kitties'' paws) crossed for him to make a speedy and complete recovery. Poor little guy. I''d be a complete mess - I almost had a nervous breakdown when my sweet Gretchen-cat hurt her paw
3.gif

The one thing I would say is be sure to talk to your vet about it when you back to the states - its tough to tell in this situation whether his reaction was truly to the anesthesia or to the complications of the surgery. That seems like it would be a really important thing to know for his future vet care.

Please keep us updated!!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Thanks AG--that''s a good reminder. I need to ask her 1) what drugs she used and 2) how long he was under...I''m not sure if there are any relevant other questions though.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know, I''ve been putting off calling the vet. Ugh I should just call her.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just call to see how he is doing, he should have improved a bit today.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Well, she said he is feeling better and walking around a little, but that he won't eat anything. She bought him some wet food but he won't eat it...it's not his normal food, but MC eats *anything* if he's the least bit hungry, so I don't know.
This means he hasn't eaten since Sunday night at about 9.
She's saying she'll keep him until tomorrow or the day after tomorrow...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results