shape
carat
color
clarity

Personal Trainers

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hairdresser gave me a recommendation for a very reasonable, very effective personal trainer. I say "very effective" because my hairdresser is looking really great these days and this is what actually led me to ask what she's been doing. Anyway, this personal trainer is only $20 per hour. You go to her house and there is no contract at all, just pay when you go. This seems like a no-brainer to me. But I thought I would put it out to the community and see if any of you have had a personal trainer before. Was/is it worth it? Are there any pitfalls to having a personal trainer?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd also be interested to know the answer to this question. I used to exercise but it was a while ago and I'm so much heavier now, and older too, that I thought a few sessions might be a good idea. However, once I start exercising I'm good at motivating myself and I also know to build up to things. For example, if it's been a long time I start with just 20 mins of cardio, since I don't want to keel over!

So, I'm interested to know if a trainer can make a difference, if a person already knows something about exercise and also motivation isn't the problem. I'm not sure if trainers have tips and tricks, or if they are for people who a) are really fit and want an extra challenge b) are new to exercise and know nothing about it or c) need an external motivator. None of these apply to me. So is it worth it?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are going to commit to it and actually not "cheat" and actually want to keep up with it, it is worth it, yes. They can provide you with a challenge, new and different movements, supplemental exercises. DH and I have done training off and on over the years, the key we found is that we will commit for awhile and then we just fall back into our eating and laying around habits.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I've worked out pretty much my whole life and I've never found the need for a personal trainer. I just go to the gym. I try to mix up my work out routines so I don't get bored, etc. I'm sure that personal trainers can be effective, but it's not something that's required to get in shape.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a great question. I've had a PT since 07. Go 3-4 times/week. Then cardio on the off days, so active usually 4-5 days week. (This of course all before the hip thing. Have started again, its a slow process with hip etc.)

This is the most embarrassing part: I am still overweight by about 20ish. Weight & getting in shape is simply a do it to yourself program, trainer or not. The trainer provides the accountability, i.e. you can't skip since another person is there waiting. But its all up to you as to how you integrate the trainer, and all the other aspects of your life that can result in a healthy lifestyle.

I've been down to my target goal, & kept it there for some time. Then life happened etc., I've been up & down a few times. I am also hypothyroid, but that isn't an excuse. I know I can loose the weight, its just that I haven't chosen to address it at this time, trainer or not.

The thing I like best about the trainer, is the fact that many days (read Michigan winter) I would not be there if it were not for her waiting. Another thing I like, is its simply a healthy bone health thing to do as we age. Our bones need the light weights & activity no matter how old we get.

Ame is absolutely right, to get the best result, absolutely commit 100%. Jambalaya, I think a trainer would be great for anyone no matter their fitness level, my trainer has a trainer! & she, (my trainer) is the epitome of fitness.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom uses a personal trainer. She schedules and pays for the sessions monthly so that she won't skip because it is already paid for - for her that is the motivator that actually gets her there. She also goes to group exercise classes occasionally but the personal training enforces a minimum amount of exercise.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1432261554|3879918 said:
I've worked out pretty much my whole life and I've never found the need for a personal trainer. I just go to the gym. I try to mix up my work out routines so I don't get bored, etc. I'm sure that personal trainers can be effective, but it's not something that's required to get in shape.

+1

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Personal trainers can be very beneficial if you are in a place where you are committed to following their program. They can provide valuable motivation for those who struggle to push themselves. Few people workout independently with the same intensity that they do if they have someone watching/encouraging. Also, I think starting with a trainer is very smart if someone is not extremely comfortable and confident with using proper form. It is very easy to injure oneself doing an exercise with improper form, especially as one is just starting out and the muscles are not particularly strong. Risk is particularly high with those who are starting out with much enthusiasm and little knowledge.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a regular gym rat and I've always enjoyed taking classes spin and body pump. But after a car accident I went to a personal trainer to help rebuild my strength and confidence. She was awesome, I worked out in her home gym and I paid by the visit. For me it was worth it.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
$20/hr is awesome! Personally, I have issues with motivation - both getting TO the workout, and during the workout. Having a personal trainer helps with the latter, but you still have to be committed to go in the first place.

Considering how much a PT is at a gym, PLUS you still have to pay your gym fees, this is a very reasonable price. I'd try it out to get a feel for her and see how you like it.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do this, because I have found if I sign up for something I don't want to lose the money, plus as you say the person is waiting for you, so it is good for motivation. I would have to do it at least 2x a week to make it effective, which =160 a month, which I'm not willing to pay at this time. At some point in my life I would want to do this.
I do walk and also do exercise videos a couple times a week, but I would love something more structured and tailored if I could afford it.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I find it very helpful. I want to get the maximum benefit from every second of every minute I spend in the gym, since it's not really my favourite thing to do, but I don't want to spend time researching that. Someone else can do that part. I like to do a lot of strength training though (ok, that's all I do) and I feel more comfortable if I have someone check and correct my technique as required, so I don't hurt myself. If it's affordable and fits in with the rest of your life, give it a try.

To be honest, I am properly afraid of the terrifying personal trainer I work with. My fear of him outweighs my loathing of exercise, marginally. So, I go. My motivator is fear. A nice trainer wouldn't be any use :bigsmile: I have to be frightened into doing it.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing I have noticed taking yoga classes at school is that my ability changes. I need to do the same thing for awhile and then I can increase a bit and do that for awhile.

So my thinking on a PT would be something like they may be useful (especially showing proper form and how to avoid injury) but probably a waste of time to see all that often. Like maybe a couple of sessions to learn a routine and then do on your own for awhile and then a session or two to check up on those plus add some new.

I have never worked with one so this is just the thinking I have been doing as my yoga class is ending and wondering if I should do another class or just on my own at home.

Love the videos online. So many great resources out there that I think you can easily do without.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1432328897|3880223 said:
One thing I have noticed taking yoga classes at school is that my ability changes. I need to do the same thing for awhile and then I can increase a bit and do that for awhile.

So my thinking on a PT would be something like they may be useful (especially showing proper form and how to avoid injury) but probably a waste of time to see all that often. Like maybe a couple of sessions to learn a routine and then do on your own for awhile and then a session or two to check up on those plus add some new.

I have never worked with one so this is just the thinking I have been doing as my yoga class is ending and wondering if I should do another class or just on my own at home.

Love the videos online. So many great resources out there that I think you can easily do without.
I did yoga classes through school and LOVED it. I also loved that I HAD to go because otherwise I would fail the class. Accountability is a real problem for me. After the class ended, I joined a yoga studio and went once.

I have joined a gym twice and went just a handful of times.

I am hoping a personal trainer would help to keep me motivated. I am absolutely in the worst shape of my life. When you couple this with no desire to work out on my own, it creates a cycle of self-loathing, low motivation, and bouts of ice cream binges. I really want off this horrible train.

I think I will give her a call and be very transparent. Maybe she's seen someone like me before and she will have suggestions on how to stay motivated, even with a trainer and how to begin to change these habits I have created over the past few months.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Different people thrive in different situations. Some like you Housecat need the extra motivation a personal trainer can provide so I am glad you are going for it. That is certainly a great price as my Physical Therapist who also works as a personal trainer charges $100 an hour.

I am motivated enough so I don't go to a gym or have a personal trainer (with the exception of special circumstances last year due to breaking my leg) and I workout every day on my own and prefer it that way. However other fare better/prefer working out at the gym with other people working out as well and still others like one on one training. Others do best working out with a workout buddy.

My thought is whatever will motivate you is the way to go. Good luck and remember one day at a time. Don't get discouraged along the way. Nice and easy slow and steady and you will get to where you want to be.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooooo....just had my first session with a trainer. Usually I'm self-motivated but my gym had a great discounted Summer Shape-Up package with five trainer sessions, five small-group sessions, a session with a nutritionist, and - rather scarily - a whole body-measurement thing which tells you your lean mass, fat mass, and bone density. Hmm. I think I know how the lean/fat mass thing is going to go!

Anyhoo, I feel better than I have done in weeks, and since the sessions available are limited, it's forced me to book a whole bunch before the expiry date. So now I've got lots of time scheduled at the gym which is already paid-for, so I have to go.

I also discovered all the free workshops, so I thought I'd throw 'em in, too.

I want my health back. Well, to be healthier than I am now, at any rate. Today was a good start. :wavey:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started to work out with a trainer 2 days a week about 6 months ago or so.

Previous to that, I had never used a trainer. But have always gone to the gym, even though always in "cycles" - I would work out very consistently (always very hard) for say 6 months to a year, and then I would kind of get bored/burn out and stop for a few months.

What I started to find the older I get (mid 40s now) is that the no-workout "cycles" started to get longer and longer...and during those cycles my eating also gets sloppy - cookies, chips, no discipline, really. I was a size 10-12 for a while, which on me looks out of shape, especially because the not working out meant I had no muscle, just flab.

I am now a size 4, sometimes a 2. But I don't really "care" about size or weight - what I care about is building and keeping muscle, and looking as toned as possible (I'm still flabby, not tight, but that's genetics - nobody can fix that except a surgeon. :(sad - and I can't get too much skinnier without looking like skin and bones. Plus, no, I'm not willing to go to the gym every day, either). My legs are shapelier than they've ever been (although again, not to make it sound like I have great legs - I don't - my thighs are still flabby).

I feel like I owe it all to my trainer. He started me slow and steady, which, even though I had always been "hard core" and at times felt like we weren't doing anything, was exactly what I needed to get me to keep going. So I didn't go through any of the "sore for 3 days" "can't move" moments that I always put myself through or I felt were necessary to see changes in my body. Slow and steady, he started increasing my cardio and my weights. And all very very safely - no crazy joint destroying movements - all with proper form.

And without any crazy diets - just increasing my protein intake (e.g., protein - mostly extra lean turkey - with every meal) and stopping habits like cookies every day or huge bowls of white rice. Mostly for dinner I will have a protein and a huge salad (no dressing). I never feel hungry, I never feel deprived. Fridays I have a bagel for breakfast and pizza for dinner and then some kind of candy. I still have weeks where I get a little undisciplined - and sometimes I go overboard with the pizza or the cookies or the candy - but for the most part knowing that during the weekend I can be a little more lax really helps me stay focused.

So many times when I didn't feel like going (yes you will still go through that) knowing he was there waiting is what got me out of bed.

For me, it was the best decision I've made in a long time.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: :mrgreen:

Q

Queenie60

I workout 5, sometimes 6 days per week. Do a "circuit fit" class which is a mild form of cross fit. Our trainer confirmed with me that you can do well in the gym however, it's your habits outside of the gym. EATING! What you put in our mouth. If you exercise and eat properly, no sugars, minimal carbs and lots of proteins, you will stay fit and lean. I'm working on this!!! Already lean but as I age, it becomes more difficult to stay in shape. More work and less food!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results