shape
carat
color
clarity

Personal Milestones: Fitness and Weightloss

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I felt like sharing with my PS friends my recent personal weightloss milestone. Maybe others can share their own milestones for excercise or healthy eating as well :)) Or share goals you are working towards!

With each of my pregnancies I gained about 60lbs. After my first son I used Weight Watchers and running to lose it all, plus another 10lbs, before getting pregnant with my second son. It took about 22 months to lose it all that time.

This time it is taking longer, with more plateaus, but at 20 months post-partum I have officially lost 60lbs since giving birth. More importantly, this weekend I passed a very important weight milestone! I dropped below a "magic number" that I vow to never ever see on the scale again!

I am also running more than ever before and am really enjoying it! I now run 18km every week and really notice a difference in my body since we started increasing our distances and frequency of running (my husband and I run together). And, don't tell anyone, but I actually LIKE running now :rodent:

We plan to run a 10k in April to celebrate our success. I hope to reach my goal weight by then, and it will also be a nice marker of my 35th birthday.

Anyways, I just wanted to share because I feel really good about this accomplishment and I know many of you are on similar journeys. I cannot believe I have gained, and lost, 60+ lbs TWICE in the last four years. A dubious distinction at best!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you, Dreamer!!! I gained 30lbs and 40lbs w/ each of my pregnancies, respectively, but was able to lose all the weight both times by keeping active and not eating after dinner time. Currently, I'm alternating using my exercise bicycle and treadmill (as long as my knees aren't killing me) to keep fit. Highly recommend weight lifting to increase lean muscle mass which will help with metabolism also!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer, congrats! That is really impressive!

I gain every winter and try to lose every spring and summer. Currently I've started my walking routine, which I did last spring and summer as well, where I walk about 8miles 3-4x a week, trying to keep my pace at around a 15 minute-mile. I'm on week three now and really looking forward to the warmer weather!

Ideally, I'll change my lifestyle to where I don't gain as much in the winter. I know it'll get harder and harder to lose the weight over the years.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer - congrats on your weight loss and finding an activity you love! It makes all the difference in the world finding a form of enjoyable exercise. Best of luck with your 10K.

I started a program and am in my 5th week. I'm doing a combination of activites, but basically having 5-6 days of cardio and am lifting weights 3X per week (basically work out six days a week and have one day of rest). I'm mix and matching step aerobics and high intensity interval training, right now, but will eventually like to turn one of those days into running.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer: that is awesome! Your determination is paying off - now if some of it would rub off on me... :bigsmile:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations Dreamer!! That is wonderful that you were able to achieve that goal!!! And good luck on the 10K next month!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, Dreamer! And good luck in your 10K! I love races and need to get back into running, for sure!

I'll have to dig up some pictures, but I'll come back later and share my story as well!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations Dreamer, that's very impressive!
Good luck on your 10K-that's great that you love running!!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I'm almost right there with you :sick: I have lost 15lbs of the 35lbs that i gained while pregnant. I can't seem to get pass the number on the scale for now. I'm hoping to start a new diet regiment this week and hopefully that will get me moving again!

it is so awesome to hear about your success and gives me a good kick in the pants too!

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Way to Go Dreamer!!! Keep up the good work.

My DL and I started working out January 1. I have lost 15 pounds since then and he has probably lost a little more. I started Jullian Michaels Body Revolution which on this 46 year old body is hard but do-able. It's only 30 minutes a day so even I can do that. I have lost a lot of inches so I am happy with my progress so far.

BTW: What type of running shoes do you use? What brand has the most support? The sales guy tried to sell me Brooks Ghosts the other day and I may go back and buy them.

charleston1

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! I know how much hard work you put into it.

About 5 years ago I lost 60 pounds. I went from a size 14 to a size 4. I am smaller now at 53 than I was at 30, and I am much fitter too! At first (5 years ago, I started by going 7 days a week to the gym (okay maybe I am a little OCD). Now I go 3 times per week.
I run 3 miles and then do weights.

I really have to watch what I eat every single day. Nothing is off limits, but I really watch my portion sizes and if I go to a restaurant one day I am extra careful the next couple of days. When I am on vacation though, all bets are off! :cheeky:

Just today someone asked me my secret; well, there is no secret. It is really watching what you eat every day and exercise.

After I lost weight a friend said to me - wow when you go into a store you went from shopping at one end of the rack to the other end of the rack (size 14 to size 4). That has stayed with me and I still think of that often when I go into a store.

As soon as my weight goes up 5 pounds (I can feel it in my clothes then the scale confirms it), I try to be extra careful. It is a lifelong battle and I find it funny when I meet new people they often think that I am lucky. HA! Luck has nothing to do with it

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, what a milestone! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Ditto the others who said to think about adding weight training to your routine-I lose weight pretty quickly when I do weight training. And I was surprised at how much I like it!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer! Congrats, that is truly awesome.

Post baby weight loss is hard. I still have a long way to go. You are an inspiration!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Oh yay!!!! That's awesome!!! It's so encouraging to see something like this. I'm SO happy for you! Way to go!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D,

Congratulations! You've obviously worked very hard to get where you are.

Too bad someone hasn't figured out a way to make scouring ebay for bargains burn lots of calories.

liz

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of congratulations, Dreamer. That's fantastic!

I'll ditto what people are saying about adding strength training - whether weights or some other method. I find my body just runs more smoothly if I make an effort to really put my muscles through their paces.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are doing great; so dedicated and determined. :appl: It is highly unfair that it gets so much harder to lose weight with each successive pregnancy and as one gets older.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Okay, now that I scoured out some pictures, I'll share my progress.

As some background...I have never been thin. Well, at least not on my own. I was a chubby kid, and pretty much always overweight. My clothes came from the "pretty plus" section when I was younger. So clearly, weight has always been a problem for me. When I was 13, my mom sent me to Weight Watchers for the first time. I was 5'4" and I lost 40 pounds from 8th grade to freshman year of high school. Throughout high school, I got taller (I'm now almost 5'8") and gained all that weight back and then some. My senior year in high school my mom put me in a Medical Weight Loss program. I lost weight there as well (I don't remember how much) but never reached what would be considered a healthy weight...and by the end of senior year, I'd gained it all back...and then some. This will become a pattern.

When I started college, I actually *lost* weight in the beginning thanks to joining the marching band, which was incredibly rigorous and physically challenging...but my eating soon caught up, and over the course of my four years of undergrad, I gained about 80 pounds, much of it in my senior year as I was travelling quite a bit for graduate school interviews and for my sorority for which I was a district officer.

That leads us to the first picture of the collage: this was about 2 weeks before I graduated with my bachelor's degree. I'm still not sure what my highest weight ever was...but this picture was close to it. Shortly after this, I started Weight Watchers again.

Over the course of my 1-year Master's program, I lost about 60 pounds. Picture 2 is about 3 weeks after that graduation (and after I donated 10" of hair to Locks of Love).

After that I moved to DC, started running, quit WW, and gained some weight back (about 25 pounds...who knew you couldn't eat whatever you wanted because you were running a whole 2 miles a day?!!). And then I met future-DH. After my first half marathon (wahoo!) I started tracking my food intake and exercise via MyFoodDiary.com. I highly recommend them. They do charge (only $9/month), but it makes me more apt to use it so I don't waste my money, and thus I keep better track of my calories!

Picture 3 is from our engagement session...at that time I was back down to where I was in picture 2 after re-losing what I gained after the move.

Picture 4 is obviously our wedding...at that time, I was the lightest I'd been in my adult life, about 85 pounds below my highest recorded weight, but that wasn't the highest I ever hit.

Picture 5 is from a few weeks ago...I am 90+ pounds down from my highest ever weight, and I've never been in shape like this before. I've started doing a class called BodyPump, which I've been taking for almost a year, 2-3 times per week, and the way it has toned and shaped my body is amazing. It is an hour of high-rep, low-to-medium weight weight lifting set to music, and if your gym has the classes, I highly highly HIGHLY recommend them.

Anyway...I've still got 7 pounds to go to my first "goal weight"...and then the push for the "last 10"...

Congratulations to everyone else who has made changes big and small! You're all rockstars in my book!

vc10um_progress.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Trasid|1363049599|3402483 said:
Way to Go Dreamer!!! Keep up the good work.

My DL and I started working out January 1. I have lost 15 pounds since then and he has probably lost a little more. I started Jullian Michaels Body Revolution which on this 46 year old body is hard but do-able. It's only 30 minutes a day so even I can do that. I have lost a lot of inches so I am happy with my progress so far.

BTW: What type of running shoes do you use? What brand has the most support? The sales guy tried to sell me Brooks Ghosts the other day and I may go back and buy them.

Trasid, I have a love-hate relationship with Jillian Michaels. I love how I look after doing The 30 Day Shred...HATE her while I'm doing it! As for running shoes, I hope you don't mind me chiming in but I've been a runner for about 4 years now (completed 5 half marathons) and the "best shoe" will be different for everyone. Is this "sales guy" a trained shoe guy at a running store who watched your running stride and checked for pronation, etc? Or just a guy at a place like Dick's or other general sports store? If it's the former, I'd take his recommendation...if not, get thee to a running shop! Running is ALL about the shoe, and each person has different needs in their running shoes. AND what I needed changed as I lost weight and got stronger...so get reevaluated every so often!

charleston1, your story is awesome, and I find it amazing you've managed to maintain for so long! You're totally an inspiration to me! :D

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1363098224|3402843 said:
Trasid|1363049599|3402483 said:
Trasid, I have a love-hate relationship with Jillian Michaels. I love how I look after doing The 30 Day Shred...HATE her while I'm doing it!

vc10um - Congrats on your weight loss. Your arms look so toned! Yay! Weight training rocks.

Re: Jullian Michaels...I've added her into my routine but only once or twice a week. I couldn't imagine doing the 30-day shred for 30 days in a row! She would drive me bonkers. I did level 1 & 2 yesterday along with 1/2 hour of step aerobics. Today, I'm lifting weights and will be using a different DVD (or two). I am currently rotating through 17 DVDs for variety.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Jillian Michaels is great, tough but she gets it done.

I find I can't exercise until I've lost a bit of weight to start with. It's just too exhausting for me to carry. And I have to be careful not to bulk up with too much muscle, that's a problem I've had in the past.

VC and dreamer, you guys have done a FANTASTIC job! Kudos to you both :appl:

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
I'm loving this thread! Congrats to everyone who has made such awesome progress already!

So here's my story. I was always skinny growing up. I never really gave it a lot of thought, pretty much ate whatever I wanted. My mom is Australian and brought with her traditions like morning and afternoon tea. And snacks before bed. I've consumed a lot of tea/coffee/hot chocolate and cookies in my life. I was never really all that active, either. I danced until I was 16, but only for a couple of hours 2 days a week. And even then, I knew I wasn't terribly "in shape." I hated gym, and the yearly mile run we had to do was always the worst day of the year for me. Embarassing.

Anyway, when I started college I was 5'7" and about 115 lbs. I actually lost 7 or 8 pounds my first semester because I was in an incredibly busy, stressful program. After that semester I transferred schools and changed majors, and a couple months later I started dating my now husband. When I turned 20, my metabolism just shut down. And I wasn't exactly doing anythng to help. When I got married 2 years ago, I was up to about 145.

Another year later it was up to 155. DH had gained quite a bit since high school, too (he used to be very active with soccer and baseball), so we joined a gym last January. We tried to go at 2-3 times a week, but I lost 0 pounds. In fact, I may have gained a few more. I pretty much refused to step on a scale. In July, we finally decided w had to do somthing about our eating habits if we wanted to make a change. We started the south beach diet, which my dad had done and had good results with. I got down to 142 and then it was fall, and we were getting lazy and the holidays were happening, so I pretty mch plateaued.

In October, I decided I wanted to start running. I had always hated running, and just suddenly felt like I didn't want to accept my body being unable to handle it, so I started the couch25k program. Slacked off a little around Christmas, but at least it got me exercising 3 times a week regularly, and up to running 30 minutes. Last month we got back on board with healthy eating, and I've started working out more like 4-5 times a week and increasing my runs to 45 minutes. I'm down to 140 now, and it's coming off a bit slow, but I feel like I'm making good habits and getting. My goal is 125, but I'm much more concerned about being in shape and toning my body than the number on the scale. I'm just finally starting to see my belly shrinking a bit and my clothes fitting a little better, so that's motivating me to keep working hard!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Congrats to all who have achieved their goals or almost achieved their goals. It is hard work and requires patience to see the results you want. You all deserve a blue ribbon.

Annette

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, thats amazibg, congratulations!

As for me, due to a thyroid problem that was undiagnosed, I gained a lot of weight at one point.

I ended up getting the proper medication and I also started doing WW. I ended up losing 48 lbs strictly from eating the right portions. It took me 8 months but man, it was worth it!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer, I gained a lot with my pregnancies as well. 65lbs with my first, 50lbs with my second and 45lbs with my last. I lost 25lbs pretty much straight away (I'm 3.5 weeks postpartum) - because a good deal of it was water weight this time. So, now I'm 20lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight which is really 30lbs from where I would like to be. With DS1, I lost all of my baby weight by 4 months postpartum from nursing alone BUT my belly was loose and yucky until I started to exercise.

Now that I'm older, I don't think it'll come off as easily but you're an inspiration! The fact that you're finding time to workout really gives me hope. Would you mind sharing when you do it? I would imagine you're quite busy!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My goal is to become small enough that I can hide in the cupboard next to my desk when the Scary Man from the Gym comes looking for me... Why did they put a gym in the office basement? Why not a bar, for crying out loud? :errrr:

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
LOL-ing at Jennifer W.. haha, every office building could do with a bar downstairs!

Congratulations Dreamer D and all the others.. losing weight/getting in shape/changing your lifestyle is the HARDEST thing ever!

I basically gained almost a whole new person over the last several years.. I've never been thin but have gone from curvy and loving it to lumpy and tired of it! I started tracking my food daily with the free app/website myfitnesspal.com in November and have surprisingly stayed with it. I started really making myself go to the gym at least 3-4 times a week at the beginning of the year and so far I'm down 19 pounds! Trust me, I have a lot to lose so that may sound like a lot to some but it's not a lot to me. It's an accomplishment though. And I weigh almost 30 pounds less than I did same time a year ago, so there's definitely been a small improvement. I've gone down one pants size.

I just saw a quote on Pinterest the other day that said you notice a difference at four weeks, your clothes start fitting differently at eight weeks, and your friends start noticing at twelve weeks. So for all those just starting/restarting on the journey, keep that in mind! My goal is not a number but to just work my butt off and feel and look different for our St. Martin trip June 1; and to keep going and get more and more fit after that. I am sloooowly getting there.

Great thread! Stay motivated everyone! :appl:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Well done Dreamer!

I'll bet you are feeling fantastic as well...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great job Dreamer! (and everyone else too!)

I miss the days of yore when I never had a weight problem, and somehow managed to be lean and muscular w/out much effort on my part.

I've lost 30# in not quite 15 months now. I did hire an online trainer who competes in stage competitions, as does his wife. I've met another female competitor online, and she has helped me a lot as well. I don't want to actually compete on stage in bikini or physique, but I want to look like I could. Slowly but surely...tho I seem to be stuck at the #30 mark.

I lift weights, very little cardio. I lift as heavy as I can, and push myself. I love being able to start to see my muscles show. Finally am into pants I've not worn since 2005 and that feels good.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results