shape
carat
color
clarity

Pastel hair???

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Pastel hair is very trendy right now and for some strange reason, I'm intrigued :confused: I've never done a darn thing to my hair that's even remotely dramatic/edgy. I have long, straight, blonde hair - always have, always will. The pastel pinks & purples I've seen are so pretty (when done right) and they've been spotted everywhere - even on the runways of Chanel. I'm not a fan of the all-over color (unless you're a celeb like Kelly Osbourne and you can pull of a head full of lilac hair). When I got my hair trimmed today, I spoke to my stylist about it and she said that the process would be fairly easy on my hair (since it's already light), but that the color stays in your hair for a l-o-n-g time. I have a long, side-swept bang and was thinking of a simple chunk/streak in pastel pink or lilac. The problem is I don't know that I could pull it off (can you tell that I have series doubts here???). There's a fine line between classy and trashy and that's not a line that I'd want to cross :lol: Has anyone tried the pastel look? For those not familiar with the look, here's a celeb pic (Rachel McAdams)

rachel-mcadams-pastel-hair.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks gorgeous on the picture of the model, but the people I have seen in real life the color streak looks more dried out than the rest of their hair. I know one girl who does a purple streak on her black hair. Frankly, I think she would look better all one color but she really loves it. Pink in light hair will be hard to get rid of. You would have to strip all color out of your hair and then dye it a color close to your natural color. That much processing will really dry your streak. Have you thought about getting a color hair extension? Then you could take it out when you want to. You could leave it in as long as you like it and treat it just like it was your natural hair.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Yes, I've noticed that too - that the hair gets particularly dry because of the process that it has to go through. I'm not a hair extension kind of person, so that wouldn't work for me. My stylist suggested hair chalk, but it reminded me of the informercial (Hot Hues) and made it seem more trashy... :???:

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Define trashy.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had pastel hair. Lavender to be specific. My hair is extremely short, so I do not think its trashy.

Why I'm posting is because its hard to keep up. My sister is a cosmetologist so she bought me color, a violet hairdye. You cut it with conditioner until you get the color you want. That is, if you're doing it st home anyways. I had to color it at LEAST once a week to keep the color.

Let's see if I can find a pic. I doubt it though.

Eta: you have to bleach out your hair. It will be as damaged as any other bleaching, (as if you were going blonde) for me the conditioner helped a lot and the type of hair color needed to get unnatural colors isn't as damaging as others sense its semi or demi permanent.
The reason,I do believe, when you look at people's hair and you think it looks extra dry is because their color is fading out. Letting it go even a little will make it look cheap

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can get hair mascara in a variety of colors - there must be pale pink available. It's a way of trying it out and seeing if you can live with it. Like buying a large fake diamond before getting the real thing.

It sounds pretty. Good luck! :wavey:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hair mascara sounds like a good way to give it a whirl. I've done crazy things w/my hair and even if I didn't like it, eh, it's hair, it'll grow back or it can be colored over. (this attitude was not the case however, when I was in junior high ohh no, tears and tears and tears..) Pastel hair is pretty. One of my old classmates went lavender/lilac and it was just lovely. However, if you don't keep it up, as it fades, it fades to almost..a gray cast I would call it? She probably could just color over it but just likes to see how it progresses since she's never done it before. I think AutumnNovember has her hair colored lavender, she probably could help you out!

ETA you could try putting the color someplace not quite as noticeable, like the underside. When I used to put black streaks in my hair, I started w/a small one on the underside, kind of behind the ear. I had really long hair at the time and you could just sometimes see hints of it. Then I got bolder and kept doing it until I would take all the hair from the top of my ears and around, pile it on my head and then dye all the bottom stuff, and put a huge streak in my bangs.

You might find that you enjoy it!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved the Lady Gaga's hair at the Academy awards - sort of a grey/pink/purple melange? I'd love to try it after my hair color grows out, but I suspect it would be very hard to get right and even harder to keep up right!

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Hair chalk would be a good way to experiment too. Kevin Murphy has a pink and a purple. Completely temporary. Good videos online to show how to make the chalk subtle to more dramatic.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
maccers|1426904168|3850440 said:
Hair chalk would be a good way to experiment too. Kevin Murphy has a pink and a purple. Completely temporary. Good videos online to show how to make the chalk subtle to more dramatic.

yes! My stylist recommended chalk too.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
LAJennifer|1426898621|3850410 said:
Define trashy.

I don't need to - it could mean different things to different people. My point is that I've never colored my hair and if I did, I'd want a look that was classy.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1426903746|3850436 said:
I loved the Lady Gaga's hair at the Academy awards - sort of a grey/pink/purple melange? I'd love to try it after my hair color grows out, but I suspect it would be very hard to get right and even harder to keep up right!

Yes! That hair exactly, but just a small amount:)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1426899643|3850413 said:
I had pastel hair. Lavender to be specific. My hair is extremely short, so I do not think its trashy.

Why I'm posting is because its hard to keep up. My sister is a cosmetologist so she bought me color, a violet hairdye. You cut it with conditioner until you get the color you want. That is, if you're doing it st home anyways. I had to color it at LEAST once a week to keep the color.

Eta: you have to bleach out your hair. It will be as damaged as any other bleaching, (as if you were going blonde) for me the conditioner helped a lot and the type of hair color needed to get unnatural colors isn't as damaging as others sense its semi or demi permanent.
The reason,I do believe, when you look at people's hair and you think it looks extra dry is because their color is fading out. Letting it go even a little will make it look cheap

Thanks so much for posting, Niel! I was hoping that I would find someone who's actually done it :D The lavender is so pretty and I bet it looked lovely on you.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy said:

Thanks so much for posting, Niel! I was hoping that I would find someone who's actually done it :D The lavender is so pretty and I bet it looked lovely on you.
Found one. Its a really terrible photo so forgive me

uploadfromtaptalk1426945727404.jpg

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1426945732|3850567 said:
momhappy said:

Neil, this is such a beautiful color! It looks lovely on you.

You have brought up a really important point. Upkeep sounds like a nightmare. I wouldn't be willing to spend the time or money to be at the salon each week. I love the look, but I think it is best for people with very short hair and the time and resources to pull it off. My hair is long and I am finding as I age, the texture is changing. I am not sure it could even endure that kind of bleaching. Momhappy, you said your hair is already blonde. It might not have to be bleached too much. The texture of your hair means everything when it comes to bleach. If it is very fine and light, it will not handle the bleach well. If it has a heavier texture, it will endure the bleach better.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for sharing the photo, Niel. That color was very pretty - similar to Kelly Osborne's color, which I feel she wear very well too.
I'm glad you told me about upkeep. That's certainly something to factor in. Maybe I'll just buy some chalk & play around a little bit:)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1426947039|3850575 said:
momhappy said:

You have brought up a really important point. Upkeep sounds like a nightmare. I wouldn't be willing to spend the time or money to be at the salon each week. I love the look, but I think it is best for people with very short hair and the time and resources to pull it off. My hair is long and I am finding as I age, the texture is changing. I am not sure it could even endure that kind of bleaching. Momhappy, you said your hair is already blonde. It might not have to be bleached too much. The texture of your hair means everything when it comes to bleach. If it is very fine and light, it will not handle the bleach well. If it has a heavier texture, it will endure the bleach better.

The texture of my hair is thin & fine and I'm guessing that bleaching it, would be hell on it. I totally baby my hair (and it has gotten super-helathy over the years), so I certainly don't want to damage it in any way. That's sort of why I was thinking of a chunky streak somewhere in the long, side-swept bang (to minimize damage), but I'm just not convinced I could pull it off (nor do I want to deal with lots of upkeep).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1426948194|3850580 said:
House Cat|1426947039|3850575 said:
momhappy said:

The texture of my hair is thin & fine and I'm guessing that bleaching it, would be hell on it. I totally baby my hair (and it has gotten super-helathy over the years), so I certainly don't want to damage it in any way. That's sort of why I was thinking of a chunky streak somewhere in the long, side-swept bang (to minimize damage), but I'm just not convinced I could pull it off (nor do I want to deal with lots of upkeep).

If you dont want upkeep and you're thinking somewhere just under a layer or something, I agree, get an extension.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say go for it...:)

If it looks really good you might not mind as much keeping it up...

And even if you do mind and don't want to keep it up, you'll have it for as long as you have it.

If your overall look is classy and stylish, don't be afraid that a strand or two will detract from that. I feel like there's no way to make pink or lavender look classy necessarily - but on someone with an overall classy look, it will just end up looking edgy - which from what you post here seems like it could suit you.

Do it!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It'd be really hard to keep up. If too light it ends up looking faded and like it needs a re-fresh. My sister is a hair colourist and plays with her hair a lot. I don't know too much about hair colour because it doesn't interest me, but I do know that the upkeep is very hard and time consuming. Guess it is for any hair colour though.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mom Happy,

If I were you I'd find a human hair extension that can be dyed the color you are trying to achieve. I also have fine thin hair and adding regular highlights to my hair had caused breakage and damage. Like you, I baby my hair and condition it constantly so it is very healthy. I had the highlighting done at a vey end and it all comes down to bleach is bleach. It does damage your hair. I know how hard it is to keep thin, fine hair looking good. I would just be nervous to risk damaging it especially with it being in such good condition.

Please let us know what you decide to do.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all Niel, you look GORGEOUS with that hair color. I mean it. Kelly has nothing on you girl. 8-)

Momhappy, it really comes down to attitude I think. If you can feel confident and rock it you can pull it off but I really think you need to feel it and need to have the 'tude if you kwim. In general I think it is a better look on younger women but again it comes down to your personal aesthetics and your confidence. If you feel pretty and cool with it you will look great but if you feel uncomfortable or awkward with the color I vote no.

Lastly I agree with everyone else who said it will be harsh for your hair. I also have fine hair and I don't even color it right now. I wish I could be one of those women who look amazing with gray hair and who had all gray vs scattered grey but oh well. I think whatever hair style/color etc one has as long as you feel good with it you will look good with it if that makes sense. As with much of life and style re clothes/hair etc. It's all about how it makes you feel.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for your replies =)
CJ2008 - you nailed it - I try to look classy/styish, so the little bit of pastel hair color seems fun/edgy. I'm not sure how edgy I am though - my edginess probably starts and ends with my small collection of Alexander McQueen Skull clutch handbags :lol: ;-)
I think I'm going to look more into chalk & maybe a hair extension - I have no idea how hair extensions work, but I'm pretty sure that I could figure it out. Calliecake is right about keeping fine hair healthy. It takes a lot of work and I'm not sure that I want to jeopardize that.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mom happy, The only reason I said anything is because I did jeopardize my hair and paid the price for about a year afterward. It was not a fun couple of months watching my hair break. Sally's Beauy Supply stores have the human hair clip on extension at reasonable prices. I would take them to my stylist and have them dyed the color you what. It's the best of both worlds without doing damage to your hair.

I almost purchased an Alexander McQueen bag and told the sales assistant that if I bought it I wanted to remove the scull charm. I thought she was going to have a hear attack.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Remove the skull charm :shock: :o
Just teasing you…. :lol: Some of the bags are really cute and I can see how maybe someone might not be a fan of the skull charm. I adore them - I have a couple of AM Skull scarves too, so I guess it's just my thing:)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was very obvious I was in the minority regarding the skull charm. The sales assistant told me to not get the bag if I was going to remove the charm. She thought it was the coolest thing about the bag. She also said your paying for that skull charm!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am crushing hard on pink hair right now. I am growing out blonde highlights (looks ombre now), and I am debating getting a pink wash over the blonde. I'm growin git out anyways, so I don't care too much about the damage. I follow Guy Tang on instagram, and he has a 'rose gold' colour he does which I quite like. Its a subtle pink, very wearable. Doing your bangs or face framing layers would look good, and if you do the balayage style it will not be much upkeep, because it looks more natural and will grow out. Once it fades, you can just use a semi or demi perm dye over it to 'stain' the hair back to a more natural colour.

http://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/ZthXn6v4o4xQpOy5on0y7w/l.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8b/6f/97/8b6f9720b17332fde3e4a666dc3aab5f.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e7/63/5f/e7635f25187c12cbab46ced44b3617fd.jpg
https://d9hblenkye35w.cloudfront.net/media/thumbnail/ext/sm/https%253A%252F%252Ffbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net%252Fhphotos-ak-xpf1%252Fv%252Ft1.0-9%252F10590511_840158119341232_4297748500006975112_n.jpg%253Foh%253D039e0ccf853c8d30c0435d75b31f5da2%2526oe%253D54881CD0%2526__gda__%253D1419603642_73fb98b621c6e8af60c047ab4f0f9275

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a subtle pink right on the edge of your side-swept bangs would be really pretty. I love colored hair but I just couldn't pull it off.
(too much gray...I guess an all over color would work but that just wouldnt be me. I would want something kind of
subtle.)

My girlfriend does peek-a-boo red. It's kind of cool because you dont see it all the time. Maybe when she turns her head
or if the wind blows. It's very subtle because her hair is dark brown.

Thats another option...maybe do an underneath layer that doesnt show all the time?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results