shape
carat
color
clarity

Passable instant coffee?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Hey Ho!

I need a recommendation for a passable (maybe tasty?) instant coffee (preferably not those International types with chocolate and sugar). The lunchroom at work only has a plastic kettle and a microwave. I'd like to make a cup of coffee at lunch to get me through the afternoon, but don't like to boil in plastic kettles, so I thought I would microwave a porcelain cup of instant coffee - which I've not had for years (coffee snob I guess LOL). Any recommendations for a half-decent instant coffee? Does Illy coffee do one I wonder?

I could take my bodum, but would still have to use the plastic kettle.

The job is too short-term to invest in a workplace metal one...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to buy Trader Joe's instant coffee.

It is the least-hideous I have tasted.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
A quick Google landed me on this article from HuffPo from last summer...Taste Test: The Best Instant Coffee

Two other websites also recommended Mount Hagen Organic (HuffPo's #5)

Good luck finding one that works for you!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
I really like Starbucks Via, but the Italian Roast only. It's the only one with a full body flavor.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A second vote for Starbucks Via. I've tried several of their flavors and the only ones that haven't appealed to me so far are the blond roast and the mocha flavor (would be OK for dessert, but not at 7 o'clock in the morning... ).

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm simple---- I like Folgers :))

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1368568313|3446973 said:

This is why I loveeeeee you!

Try the new Folgers Fresh Breaks.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mayk|1368568769|3446977 said:

Try the new Folgers Fast Breaks.

what....?? there's a new Folgers instant coffee product out there?? But is it available in Canada, tho?? we don't get ANYTHING till so late in the game! Especially in my city :roll:

(and I knew you loved me madly --- because of my love of coffee!!)

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
You can't just do drip???

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Or, just do what I do- have your own coffee maker :) I have a Mr. Coffee latte machine in my cube.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I take Starbucks Via along when I travel.
pixie stix for caffeine addicts.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto on the Starbucks Via.

You could also do a French press at work, or one of those Vietnamese drips.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm hoping RockDiamond sees this thread, because his instant coffee is the only (and I mean only) instant coffee I ever drank in my whole life that tasted nice. I really dislike instant coffee, but the stuff in the DBL office last time I was there was really quite nice, and I can't recall what brand it was.

I use one of these at work (in my day job) and ended up buying them for some of my office mates - they are awesome!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smartcafe-Cafetiere-Hot-Mug-Red/dp/B0007MTNH2

It's almost as quick and easy as instant.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer W|1368602722|3447218 said:
I'm hoping RockDiamond sees this thread, because his instant coffee is the only (and I mean only) instant coffee I ever drank in my whole life that tasted nice. I really dislike instant coffee, but the stuff in the DBL office last time I was there was really quite nice, and I can't recall what brand it was.

I use one of these at work (in my day job) and ended up buying them for some of my office mates - they are awesome!

I would love to know what RockDiamond's coffee is!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Starbucks Via and Trader Joes in a pinch. We are kind of coffee snobs at our house, even buying our own green beans and roasting them ourselves for awhile. As a coffee snob, those two work occasionally for me. If it was a daily thing I would invest in one of those little machines that brew a cup at a time and keep it at my desk. My DH is thinking about doing this for work because they buy the most gut rotting coffee for the fire houses.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I did recently purchase espresso powder aka instant espresso from the grocery store for a chocolate custard recipe. It is italian. I'll give it a whirl at home and let you know how it tastes. It wasn't expensive and I found it with the other coffee and tea options at the store. I've seen other instant espressos from Italy in specialty delis and markets.

If you're willing to microwave water for instant coffee you could just dump that into your french press from home.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Add me to the list! A coffee snob, I am not. Although I will be in a city with Trader Joe's this weekend and may pick up theirs to try.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1368647363|3447555 said:

Add me to the list! A coffee snob, I am not. Although I will be in a city with Trader Joe's this weekend and may pick up theirs to try.

If you are going to Trader Joe's...forget the coffee and pick up the Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Almonds... OMG... I'm so grateful there is no Trader Joe's in my city... I can eat a entire container in one sitting.. and only feel guilty a week later!!! They are total awesomenessssss!!!! :lickout: Sorry for the Thread Jack! :devil:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are good! In fact, pretty much all their chocolate goodness is mighty fine. I try to avoid that aisle! Last week I bought a can of their Peaberry coffee and oh my goodness, I do love that.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1368653329|3447636 said:
Those are good! In fact, pretty much all their chocolate goodness is mighty fine. I try to avoid that aisle! Last week I bought a can of their Peaberry coffee and oh my goodness, I do love that.

That is interesting, we were just talking about Peaberries... so... Peaberry beans are the floaters from when they wash the beans after harvest.. "washed Arabica". The heavier beans sink to the bottom the lighter beans rise to the top. They never used to be "shiek"... and then they started selling them as special. Awesome that you like them.. they are Arabica Beans.. so they should be good...

I'm trying to stay away from the balance of Trader Joe's Chocolate.. those stinking almonds get me everytime.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
You guys are the best. Here was me thinking my topic was beyond trivial, and look at the feedback.

Glad I asked :bigsmile:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Begonia, if you decide to go the Via route you can order 50 packs off of Amazon for about $30. Makes it around 60 cents/cup. Of course make sure you like the flavor first (says she of 49 packs of mocha still left that will take me a million years to finish... )

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1368652962|3447630 said:
diamondseeker2006|1368647363|3447555 said:

If you are going to Trader Joe's...forget the coffee and pick up the Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Almonds... OMG... I'm so grateful there is no Trader Joe's in my city... I can eat a entire container in one sitting.. and only feel guilty a week later!!! They are total awesomenessssss!!!! :lickout: Sorry for the Thread Jack! :devil:

Oh, yummy! Thanks for the recommendation! :appl:

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
Mayk said:
diamondseeker2006 said:
Mayk said:
Enerchi said:

Oh, yummy! Thanks for the recommendation! :appl:
Check out this thread before you go--I found lots of new favorites here:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-are-your-favorite-products-from-trader-joes.182397/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-are-your-favorite-products-from-trader-joes.182397/[/URL]

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jennifer W|1368602722|3447218 said:

Jen is so nice no sugar is ever needed- once her lips touch the coffee all traces of bitterness is gone:)

We've since switched to Starbuckss, but when you were here Jen, we were using Necafé tasters Choice....

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I'm a bit of a coffee snob, so to me the phrase passable instant coffee is an oxymoron. :shock:
Nothing like grinding those beans and having Really fresh coffee- I can practically smell it now... :lickout:

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The owner of one of the nicer coffee shops in our area told me that she bout a Kuerig to make drip coffee for people who come in (since they only need a couple of cups a day so whole pots were being wasted) but that she found an adapter basket so instead of using those pre-brewed drop in things, it takes her regular ground coffee.

If you've got a coffee specialty shop near you, take a look at options for personal sized espresso machines and French press.

Here is where we got our (not personal sized) espresso machine: Seattle Coffee Gear

aeropress

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Eeeeeuuuw, instant coffee! LOL Is there any that is actually drinkable?? (I might have to try that Starbuck's.)

I take the low-tech, low-cost approach: Make a pot of my favorite coffee at home every morning, and take it with me in a Stanley 1.1 Quart Classic Vacuum Bottle. My Stanley bottle is probably 15 years old now and it looks very high-mileage. It's been in a lot of places form offices to chemical plants, a foundry, and hospitals. I get some jollies out of the looks people give me when they see Ms. Fancy carrying in a workingman's battered old green thermos, daily. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results