shape
carat
color
clarity

Part 2 of kenny's question: Did your parents have a favorite

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Reading the responses to kenny's thread made me think about some of the times I've seen parents blatantly favor one child over another. Did yours?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Part 2 of kenny's question: Did your parents have a favo

Absolutely yes, the have a favorite. I was not it. I used to resent it when I was younger but I'm ok with it now that I am older. My parents love me, but I was a lot more work and worry for them.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It was the 1950s in the American midwest, so which of their 4 kids do you think my born-again Christian parents wish was not even born the first time … me. :(sad

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock

Aw, kenny....we love you.
Not all people should have kids, but back then it really wasn't an option.
I really don't think my dad has a favorite, but my mom does and it's not me. And like Elliot, I don't care.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks.
Lots of good people here. :razz:

amc80

Ideal_Rock

My brother is the favorite. He is three years older than I am. We were both born two months early, but I was very healthy and he wasn't. They didn't think he was going to survive, then they thought he would be deaf and/or blind. He turned out fine, but I think the fact that he almost didn't make it always made him a bit of a golden child. Even now, at 37, my mom will excuse his bad choices on what he had to go through as a newborn.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My parents are crazy about my brother. He'd probably say I was the favorite. We were loved in different ways, but. We were both loved, at least. ;-) I could give many examples and so could he but why bother? We both have our own families now and life's just too short.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

I think I was my dad's favorite because I share a lot of his characteristics and humor. My brother is my mom's favorite, so it worked out perfectly. We were both favored by one parent.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1396496173|3646365 said:
It was the 1950s in the American midwest, so which of their 4 kids do you think my born-again Christian parents wish was not even born the first time … me. :(sad

Where are you from in the Midwest?

( and that's terrible! I'm sure they love you!)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As for me, my mother died when I was 5. My father remarried a year later. My parents favorite was themselves. The kids got the leftovers ( emotionally, if there were any). Dad is now dead 14 years and I have no relationship with stepmom at this point. Parents in the 50's were not real demonstrative, especially dads.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think maybe I was the favourite? :naughty:

I'm the youngest daughter. Eldest sister was packed off to boarding school (no choice, we lived rural), 2nd eldest sister had some medical issues AND was painfully shy so always bit of an effort, 3rd sister was the rebel child! So basically I knew what NOT to be and I've generally always been well behaved and get along with them great. :bigsmile: Mum certainly said I was the EASIEST child to deal with but then again they were pretty practiced by then so I'm sure a lot of it was just confidence & knowing when to worry and when to turn a blind eye....

We are all in no doubt they love us to bits and I dont think anyone really feels like a particular favourite now we are adults (although 3rd one still like to whinge about being hard-done-by every so often! :lol: )

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Being the youngest child of the family, so yes, I was mommy's favorite child... :praise:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was one of four and no, they did not have a favorite. I'm the oldest and the only girl, and in many ways I'm the odd person out in my family. I do believe I had the hardest time separating from my parents and getting them to accept me as an adult... fortunately we all survived that period. I'm sure there were periods when I felt like my parents loved my brothers more than me, and it's possible my brothers went through the same thing at some point. But I really don't think my parents had or have a favorite child.

So I suppose the next logical question is... did or do you love one of your parents more than the other? :lol:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
My dad had two kids with his first wife and another from an affair. Then he moved to South Africa, had two kids with his second wife... And had an affair. I'm the product of the second affair :wavey:

He has six children (that we know of!) but mostly pretends that he only has two: his sons with the second wife. His eldest son with the second wife is by faaaaaar the favourite and everyone can see it but my dad.

My dad pretends that he has treated me and the kids from the second wife equally, but nothing could be further from the truth. I used to be very angry about that - not the inequality but his sheer and utter blindness about it - but I'm mostly over that now.

Honestly, the joke is on him. He's in his mid-seventies now and his little pet lives on the other side of the world and hardly ever bothers to call, message or Skype. In the meanwhile, his younger son from wife number two (who lives in the same city as our dad's pet) messages and Skypes frequently, and I (the secret bastard child who is hardly ever acknowledged) am usually the one to drive him to doctors and hospital when he can't drive himself.

I wasn't my bio mother's favourite either, but I was her mother's, so I scored there haha :)

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock

MINIMS said:
I was one of four and no, they did not have a favorite. I'm the oldest and the only girl, and in many ways I'm the odd person out in my family. I do believe I had the hardest time separating from my parents and getting them to accept me as an adult... fortunately we all survived that period. I'm sure there were periods when I felt like my parents loved my brothers more than me, and it's possible my brothers went through the same thing at some point. But I really don't think my parents had or have a favorite child.

So I suppose the next logical question is... did or do you love one of your parents more than the other? :lol:

Nah, they were pretty much equally useless! :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My older sister was my dad's favourite; and my younger brother was the apple in my parents' eyes, being a male and the youngest in a Chinese family.

So I grew up being the rebellious middle child. :naughty:

DK :bigsmile:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Out of my siblings, I grew up the most "stable." I don't know if I would be considered a "favorite" but I feel like I probably have the most respect and closeness with my parents (and from my grandmothers too when they were alive).

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade

My brother is my mom's the favorite for sure. When he comes home to visit, among othe rthings, his favorite meal is waiting on him. Anyone else? Not so much. I do think I may be my dad's favorite becasue we are a lot alike, although he isn't as blatant with showing it.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think my sister would say that I was the favorite child and I would say the opposite. We were treated differently because we're very different people but birth order also played a huge part. My parents wouldn't admit to favoring one child but they were at much different places mentally and financially when raising one kid vs the other.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock

My sister (only girl) is my dad's favourite. He is unabashed about it too. I understand, so I have never held it against him.

Growing up all my siblings said I was my mom favourite. One of my exgf even told me she saw it too.

I'm getting married next year and just last week, my mom said she was going to miss me the most when I move out (two of my siblings are already gone). She tried to soften it by saying I help out the most around the house. I guess my siblings were right.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

My brother, hands down. He wouldn't even try to say it was me. He would maybe try to say Oh no, they love us equally but hahahaha ohhh...no.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock

They didn't have much to choose from, unfortunately. I'm the only child born nine years into the marriage. My parents would never admit it, but I think I was a surprise :appl:

One thing for sure is that they never spoiled me :(( . Other relatives did that for them :bigsmile:

One thing I did find out was that many 'onlies' or singletons made up a significant portion of the staff members at the secondary school where I taught for 19 years.

Our own children confessed in their 30's that they had no idea who was Mom's favourite. That was exactly how I had hoped it would turn out. They were born 14 months apart - a girl and then a boy - million dollar family, right? Maybe some days.

They were so different in many ways. Our daughter aka 'the wild child' never mentions her poor judgment in so many situations; whereas, our son has apologized for years and thanked me for leading him in the right direction.

Our 'golden' granddaughter (son's daughter) is a winner in every respect. Our daughter decided she was going to 'twist the knife' a little more, and made it almost impossible to get to know her daughter.....until...I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Since then, she and her daughter have had many fun-filled lunches together with us. :appl: :wavey:

My prognosis was two years so that's the only reason I was allowed to have great contact with her 'in my final months'. How much harm could I possibly do in the last 6 months of my life??? She's an exceptional girl too, if her mom would keep her thoughts to herself. She's been told she's 'average'. What a damning word. She gets straight B's - Since when is a B average?

One more jab (that I know of anyway) is that her mom and I were talking about the average age a child can walk. She had told her daughter that it was at FOUR YEARS!!! What bunch of hooey!!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't feel like my parents had a favorite but I'm sure my two brothers would say it was me.

I'd say they were pretty fair at not showing love to all three of us.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

My brother was my mother's favourite, my sister was my father's. Still are! Not that they didn't love me or anything and are outraged at even the suggestion of favouritism, but it's pretty obvious to all. Bless em though, they still vehemently deny it :lol:

I have now made up for the lack 100 fold by being my husband's favourite :sun:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rosetta|1396560994|3646849 said:
My brother was my mother's favourite, my sister was my father's. Still are! Not that they didn't love me or anything and are outraged at even the suggestion of favouritism, but it's pretty obvious to all. Bless em though, they still vehemently deny it :lol:

I have now made up for the lack 100 fold by being my husband's favourite :sun:

LOL. :cheeky:
+1 especially on being the dh's favorite-that's the one that really counts anyway. :appl:

My sister was always favored by my mom but I understand why-she needed their attention more (very shy, speech issues, nystagmus) once I got older I realized that and felt better about it all.

But my mom, like Rosetta's parents, vehemently denies the fact that my sister was (and is) her favorite. Now because she gave them grandkids and my parents spend much more of their time with my sister and her family. And that's OK too because they should enjoy their grandkids as much as they can.

My dad probably favored me when I was younger but now I would say he doesn't have a favorite-unless you count the grandkids that is. They would definitely win on that bet haha.

And of course they loved us both very much and spoiled us too much but yes there was a definite favorite from my perspective.

Meezermom

Shiny_Rock

Definitely, and it was my brother. He was the first born and a male. What my sister and I were told was that he was special because he's a boy. We of course were born in the 50's, which is no excuse, but it was a mindset I think at that time.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

My younger sister is my mothers favourite. She can't do anything wrong. My dad seemed to favour my older sister. I'm the middle child so was no ones favourite. I deliberately don't treat my children as favourites as I feel it's unfair on the rest.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My mum had said in the past I am her favourite, because someone has to, and it was not going to be my dad! :rolleyes:

She recently said my gentleman friend can't be any good for he can't be too choosey as he likes fat girls like me! Exact words translated into English, no joke!

Thanks mum, for the compliment, NOT!

And she wonders why I would only visit her once every 2 years for a week at a time! :rolleyes:

DK :rolleyes:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results