shape
carat
color
clarity

Pandora Bracelets - Fabulous or Fad?

Do you think Pandora is fabulous or fad? How much longer do you think they'll be trendy?

• Fabulous!

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Fad!

Votes: 30 33.7%
  • Uh, sweetie, it's already over! *hairflip*

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • 1-2 years max!

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • 2-4 years at least!

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 5 years+

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • It's going to be around for a long, long time!

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Who cares? Just show me the results please!

Votes: 10 11.2%

• Total voters

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
A great deal has been happening in my life recently. A very good friend has offered me some bling to take my mind off the bad and celebrate the good. I initially wanted a Pandora bracelet (initially? Gah! I've wanted one since I first saw it in Australia four years ago!) but now that we're about to pull the trigger I find myself wondering if I really, really, really want one.

I'm not sure if it's pre-purchase anxiety or something deeper. Seeing as I've wanted one for about four years I find myself wondering if the trend is coming to an end...?

Then again, I live south east of Nowhere, South Africa so even if the trend is drawing to a close in the US, it'll probably carry on here in SA for at least another 2-3 years... But do I really want to spend all that money (bracelet + my dream charms = quite a bit of money) on something that will only be worn for 2-3 years? Shouldn't I just get a regular ol' bracelet instead? One that I can wear for many more years?

Ugh... Can't make up my mind!!

So. Pricescopers, my bling mentors, make up my mind for me! Do you think they're fabulous or a fad and how much longer do you think they'll be in?

PS - I know some of you absolutely HATE Pandora bracelets and some of you are just plain indifferent, in which case, that's totally cool :) but as I aspire to being a human Christmas tree I don't believe there's such a thing as "too much". Small and delicate is beautiful on small, delicate people, but I'm big and loud and talk with my hands and love having loads of bracelets on my wrists. Christmas tree, remember? :bigsmile:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They are the charm bracelet's of the moment, though I first saw them here in Atlanta about 10 years ago. There are Pandora stores in a couple of our malls now. Personally, I don't like wearing what everyone else has, however, it sounds like that won't be the case where you are. I do think that they are awfully expensive for what they are and if you add up what you'd spend on the bracelet and 10 charms you could have one really nice piece of jewelry.

I do like the idea that each charm commemorates something special to each person who wears it...that's kind of neat to me. If you love them, then I say "go for it" even if you decide 10 years from now that it won't become a forever piece.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I personally don't like the commercial aspect of them. I have a charm bracelet. I had it made from all of the pendants I was given as a child and growing up for random occasions. To me it's a real charm bracelet. They don't all come from the same place, they just ended up together. I haven't added anything to it in a long time but when I do I enjoy it. It's also only pieces made of gold and real gems. I can't imagine paying that much money for not much really. But it's all about what you want. Sometimes the design is just what you want. I own some Cartier and Tiffany and the same can be said for them.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a fan of the Pandora charm bracelets, but I like charms in general. If you'd like a charm bracelet but are concerned that the Pandora is everywhere and might go out of fashion, why not consider a more classic Links of London charm bracelet? They are more expensive but you can add to the bracelet over time - I think that's the idea of charm bracelets, that you start off with one charm, and then loved ones buy you more of them, or you get charms to celebrate events, birthdays etc. These days, we are used to buying the bracelet and all the charms at once! This could be a great long-term project! Here's the link:

www.linksoflondon.com

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I have one, actually 2, DH gave me my original one when I got my Masters and each of the kids gave me a bead that meant something to them. I only had 4 beads on it at one point. I don't like it when you buy a fully loaded one. I like the idea of adding them for special occasions. Just like a traditional charm bracelet. Then each charm is special. My daughter got me a strerling beagle when Rascal went to doggie haeven.They are sterling silver and some have 14kt bits. I also have a pink leather one, given to me as a bday gift by students. That one has a pink ribbon bead , and a few glass beads I got on amazon for a few bucks.
I remember when tradional charm bracelets were out, they said old lady....then, everything is old is new again. I have a sterling silver charm bracelet that was my moms, with really cool working charms, like the phone that has a moveable dial and the little tiny car that has spinable wheels, and I wear that sometimes.

Who is to say what will die out and when you know? If it makes you happy!!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm afraid I've never gotten the Pandora bracelets - I mean, I like lampglass beadwork, and I like charms, so you'd think that putting your hands together would make me very happy, but something about them just misses the mark. Even the full bracelets look somehow clumsy (a beadwork piece where you can see the connecting material is a badly done one, in more traditional materials), and the in-process ones more-so. But I'm pretty sure there's a ton of stuff that I like - stacking bangles, big 'ole bedazzled combs from the '20s, dangling earrings in daytime, the occasional tiara - that most people find very much Not to Their Taste, and I've always thought, "... eh!" so I say the only opinion that matters is yours!

That said, if "in or out" is a concern, just judging from the number of threads on the subject I've seen on other boards ... yeah, I think it's on its way out. I used to see a lot of "check out my new charm!" posts, and now I see a lot of posts either seeking reassurance or a way to rekindle the enjoyment. Maybe the same thing happens with any newly popular thing - do any of the handbag people know if those carrying the things that started to be "in" ten years ago get the same uncertainty?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie, I love that you want to be a human Christmas tree. I LOL'd reading that, and nodded my head in agreement--i can relate!

I worked for a jeweler in 2007 who sold Pandora, so I picked up a bit of a collection. I have 2 bracelets, a necklace, and recently was given a really cool ring. Only one bracelet is full, and my husband likes to get me a charm a few times a year, so I for one, hope the trend doesn't die for about 10 more years!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I can just tell you what I see from our local Pandora store situated in an upscale mall. A couple of years ago, you would always find a long line of people trying to get into the store. Christmas time was unbelievable. It tooks hours standing in line. Just my opinion of course, but I did not like what I saw. The beads were loaded in those plastic thingies with the individual compartments. They were extremely expensive as well. The presentation was lacking to say the least, and it did not help the staff were full of themselves. We left.

Fast forward to last Christmas, and nothing. You could hear crickets in the store. If you look on ebay, you will see a ton of them. Same with Alex and Ani, who is headquartered in my city. People everywhere used to wear them. Not now, in my section of the world, at least.

Again imo, if it were me, I would get the actual charm bracelets of years past. My daughter wears one. In fact we just got her a "21" to commemorate her 21st birthday. There is a Pricescoper on here who collects charms and charm bracelets (A Girl's Best Friend, I think) and there are threads up. Also, if you look on ebay, there are some beautiful ones from the 1950s and 1960s.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an ex-beader and jewelry maker, all I see when I look at them is cheap stuff strung. :(sad

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I've had Pandora and Troll bracelets both and I don't wear either anymore. I like the idea of them, but my semi addictive personality didn't really allow me to enjoy them because I would just buy a bunch of charms that I liked rather than waiting to get them for a special moment haha. However, I do enjoy mixing them up and I like the glasswork especially because it is amazing how detailed they can make a little piece of glass (some of the artisan brands on etsy, Troll, or even Fenton glass beads are better quality than Pandora's). Anyhoo, I think they can be a nice everyday bracelet but depends on what your intentions for it are I suppose.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Noooooooooo!!

You've told me exactly what I was expecting to hear ;(

*sniff, sniff*

The bracelet and charms I want would add up to about a third the cost of the (starter) tennis bracelet I want, and that is probably a safer buy. Definitely something I would wear for a lot longer than the Pandora...

Better keep saving then.

Thanks so much for your advice! :wavey:

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie|1381425869|3535385 said:
Noooooooooo!!

*sniff, sniff*

The bracelet and charms I want would add up to about a third the cost of the (starter) tennis bracelet I want, and that is probably a safer buy. Definitely something I would wear for a lot longer than the Pandora...

Better keep saving then.

Show us an example of the bracelet and lets see if we can find one preloved for you. Most of the pieces I have are about 1/3 retail so you might be able to find it :)

Btw if you want one just wait a little while and find one on ebay for a 1/3 of the price too lol.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
vintagelover229|1381429615|3535415 said:
Trekkie|1381425869|3535385 said:
Noooooooooo!!

*sniff, sniff*

Better keep saving then.

Show us an example of the bracelet and lets see if we can find one preloved for you. Most of the pieces I have are about 1/3 retail so you might be able to find it :)

Btw if you want one just wait a little while and find one on ebay for a 1/3 of the price too lol.

I'd LOVE this but I live in South Africa - no one in their right mind would ship jewellery here... ;(

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I see them just as I see Italian charm bracelets. There will be a long term market for them, but it will be small and full of knock-offs. I remember when I got my charm bracelet...it was 2002. I wore it for less than a year. It was even the "fancy" brand (Nomination...I had to google that). But even today I still see the knock offs at flea markets and street fairs.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Love your Christmas tree analogy, Trekkie.

On the bracelets--I think they're on their way out. I hate to be disappointing. But--you CAN rock whatever you want.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say go for it, and don't care what anyone else thinks. I don't get these, but hey I thought David Yurman was going to be a fad.
What a nice way to take your mind off the bad and focuss on what is positive in your life..

That's awesome!!!! :wavey:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
And I miscalled the whole Michelle watch craze. Thought that was a fad too... LOL... :cheeky:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Five years ago everyone had one. I can only wear yg and that one was $1200 just for the bracelet not counting the charms. I didn't get it. I haven't seen anyone wear one in about two years and the stores that carry the beads are practically giving them away.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I started my bracelet almost 2 years ago and I absolutely LOVE it. I buy only the beads that I really like and have added the glass ones lately.

I do think the beads/charms should be meaningful to you, but I made a frivolous purchase of a gold di studded with the correct number of diamonds where they should be. It was expensive and only available (at that time) in Caesar's Palace.

It's as close as I'll ever be to Vegas :bigsmile:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Haha! Glad you were so entertained my my Christmas tree analogy, Monarch and IndyLady! You laugh, but sometimes I think all I need is the lights! It's as if half my PS education is incomplete - I can manage "thou shalt not wear more than one ring per hand" (with its caveat - "unlest thou are endowed with beautiful thumbs like Circe) and it totally makes sense.

Bracelets on the other hand? Pah! My goal is an antique diamond watch on my left wrist with a semi-matching diamond and ruby bracelet and several pretty white metal bracelets, and my (eventual) 5ct bezel diamond tennis bracelet (dream big!!), my 1ct DBTY, two of my late mother's bracelets and whatever else makes me go "ooooooh!" on my right wrist. Wow, that sentence is grammatically suspect, but you get the idea.

Thank you PS for affirming that I should just keep saving towards my starter 1ct bezel tennis bracelet. Sometimes it's difficult to silence my instant gratification demon!!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I think you're making the right decision. I have one...somewhere. Let's just say, other people like buying the beads for me far more than I like wearing it. :lol:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh|1381444869|3535544 said:
And I miscalled the whole Michelle watch craze. Thought that was a fad too... LOL... :cheeky:

I LOVE Michele Watches, but I live in Australia and they don't sell them here, so what makes them totally cool for me is no-one else I have ever seen here has been wearing one. Maybe Pandora is the same for you.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1 said:

I LOVE Michele Watches, but I live in Australia and they don't sell them here, so what makes them totally cool for me is no-one else I have ever seen here has been wearing one. Maybe Pandora is the same for you.

Arkie, I went to the nearest city today and saw that the mall jewellery stores are selling "house brand" knockoffs. I think this means it's not for me!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it's a fad because it's been around for a while. But I don't like that, so I don't think they are fab. They look like old lady jewelry to me (Sorry to all the young ladies who have them).

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, they ARE kind of old lady! The other ladies I worked with at the jeweler where I first started my collection wore completed bracelets with all of their grandchildren's initials or birthstone color glass beads on them. One client loved Pandora and Troll beads equally, and an image of her wrists popped into my head when you said Christmas tree, Trekkie. She had severe arthritis and chose to wear about 5 full bracelets on each wrist to distract from the appearance of her hands, or draw attention to them, I never was quite sure. She was a character. I bought my first one when I was 30, definitely not old, but then again the trend had really just taken off in Chicago at that point.

I was initially drawn to them because I like the fact that they're heavy and chunky and clunky. I am not a delicate or dainty person physically and therefore do not like very delicate looking pieces. Most of my jewelry is solid, heavy, and bold. I do have a classic yellow gold charm bracelet, that, while substantial, is still a more delicate piece than I like to wear every day. There's a picture of it somewhere on Deb's thread in Jewelry Pieces.

RisingSun doesn't post here anymore, but she had a really pretty Pandora bracelet. From what I recall, hers was set up really symetrically, with a center charm and everything going off that in sort of a mirroring situation. It looked really nice, like a well composed piece of designer jewelry. Less chaotic than some that are just compilations of random charms.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a link to the traditional charm bracelet thread:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-traditional-charm-bracelets.134071/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-traditional-charm-bracelets.134071/[/URL]

My mom just had to have a Pandora about five to seven years ago because some of her friends had them. She practically broke the speed of sound trying to fill it up. I'm not sure how much she wears it; she says she usually can't do the clasp by herself. Her friend is a widow now and can't do the clasp, so she leaves it on 24/7, which just grosses me out. :knockout:
I have a James Avery charm bracelet, (it's on that thread somewhere) so she didn't get me on the Pandora band wagon. I think some of their rings are pretty and I like the leather bracelets by themselves.
A classic tennis bracelet will take you through the ages. Save your pennies.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie|1381504673|3535848 said:
arkieb1 said:

Arkie, I went to the nearest city today and saw that the mall jewellery stores are selling "house brand" knockoffs. I think this means it's not for me!

This is true. Ebay is full of copies in fact I would say more than half are not genuine Pandora either. Save your money and get an elegant bracelet instead!!! I actually voted that the Pandora phase is long over anyway, but I wasn't sure if this was the case where you live....

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I never got into Pandora. My mom has one so that's probably why! Many of my friends have them and love them though! I did however get into the Alex and Ani line of stackable bracelets over the summer. They have medals on them representing different things as well. I have a mom one, my kids initials, a seahorse ( my DS picked it out so it is special), and a couple others. I like the look and mix and match yellow and white metals.

http://www.alexandani.com/

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
er, I admit I've never even been inside the Pandora store in the mall b/c I'm not into beads and I've never looked on their website until just a couple minutes ago out of curiosity re: price.

I'm all for people buying what they like & not worrying if something will be in style...but, the prices sure are a bit high. If I saw a person wearing a bracelet like that, I would have never imagined they'd be hundreds of dollars. It'd make sense to find the beads (or are they charms? whatever they are) on eBay rather than at full-price.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I don't see them as either (fabulous or fad). They are just bracelets. Some people are into them and others are not. I am not a fan, but I don't have strong feelings about them either way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results