shape
carat
color
clarity

Other than jewels, what do you collect?

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
I collect post cards. I throw nothing away but the pretties ones end up to our walls framed. I usually buy a gigantic frame and make a colorful "art-piece" from the cards. I too flimsy and can't commit to a real piece of art and I like to see those cards as they remind me of the people who sent them.

And apparently we collect tableware and kitchenware too... I + FI have enough tableware to host a formal dinner party for eight people and it doesn't stop there... :oops: I think there won't be any kitchenware in our gift list when we get married. :tongue:

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Race shirts? Medals? I hate clutter, and I collected dolls when I was a child and teen..and that has turned me off from collecting anything. I spend quite a bit of fun money on running races, obstacle & mud runs and sprint triathlons..so maybe I collect gear..tri gear can get pretty pricey, and so can gym membership with pool for practice:)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1380864210|3531942 said:
jaysonsmom|1380727209|3530743 said:
Swarovski CRystal figurines and Starbucks Mugs from every city we've visited.
Me too!

I would be happy to store that pineapple for you!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1380990374|3532742 said:
Dancing Fire|1380864210|3531942 said:
jaysonsmom|1380727209|3530743 said:
Swarovski CRystal figurines and Starbucks Mugs from every city we've visited.
Me too!

I would be happy to store that pineapple for you!
Sure, just don't eat it.. :bigsmile:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I collect fiestaware, antique anything but especially crystal stemware, flatware and china. I have quite a few gnomes but they haven't escaped to the front yard yet. I also love color changing LED lighting so anything that lights up, sparkles or changes colors has to be mine!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
iluvshinythings|1380998457|3532794 said:
I collect fiestaware, antique anything but especially crystal stemware, flatware and china. I have quite a few gnomes but they haven't escaped to the front yard yet. I also love color changing LED lighting so anything that lights up, sparkles or changes colors has to be mine!

I'm excited to redo our kitchen this winter so I can get new dinnerware-I'm soooo getting on the fiestaware bandwagon!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I used to collect watches. I got broken into and the collection went. That was over 7 hrs ago. I still love watches but now I have 2. I must admit that my tastes have changed and now into classical styles; and they so happen to be high end brands... I am on the lookout for a 1971 Rolex 6694 or 1601. I have seen some but I want the papers to authenticate the watch. It is a vintage piece and papers are hard to come by. Most ppl would have thrown them away. :( the ones that do are collectors items and therefore $$$$.

So, I will live vicariously through the watch forums, and searches on watch sites.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep your eye on modnique.com for vintage "preloved" rolex. Would be interested in what you think of the prices.

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
I love this thread! So interesting to see what everyone collects. I'm another pig collector. I started collecting them when I was a little girl but have slowed down as I've gotten older. People still give me pig stuff and I'll grab a nice vintage piece here and there.

We have a pretty extensive collection of pre-prohibition beer cans that my husband started collecting as a kid. I find it ironic that he hates beer.

My largest and by far most expensive collection is probably my tattoos. I lost count but I know it's over 100 hours worth of work...and counting.

We also collect low brow poster art, all signed and numbered or artist's proofs. Our walls are as colorful as our bodies.
This is just one wall.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1381012579.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1381011531|3532863 said:
Keep your eye on modnique.com for vintage "preloved" rolex. Would be interested in what you think of the prices.

Thanx April baby.

Will do that!
Just checked it out. They only have one Rolex and sadly it isn't the one that I am looking for, so not sure on the pricing of it. There are some other stuff(clothes) that looks good, too. With clothes, though I rather buy at the store to try it on.

Thank for the recommendation. Will continually check back to see if they have the Rolex.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I collect kitchen gadgets, mostly fancy wooden tools, and recently white platters.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Books--bigraphies, true crme and {blushing} some historical fiction. Also swans--I love ther symbolism of mating for life AND they are nasty mean aggressive birds when angry. I kinda like that.......

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
TheGeckoLady|1381012762|3532870 said:
I love this thread! So interesting to see what everyone collects. I'm another pig collector. I started collecting them when I was a little girl but have slowed down as I've gotten older. People still give me pig stuff and I'll grab a nice vintage piece here and there.

We have a pretty extensive collection of pre-prohibition beer cans that my husband started collecting as a kid. I find it ironic that he hates beer.

My largest and by far most expensive collection is probably my tattoos. I lost count but I know it's over 100 hours worth of work...and counting.

We also collect low brow poster art, all signed and numbered or artist's proofs. Our walls are as colorful as our bodies.
This is just one wall.

tattoos? Have you posted pics at all and I missed them? Would love to see-I looooove tattoos! I'm only at about 15 hours worth right now.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if this counts, but every time I get a meaningful letter or card from a friend or family member, I keep it and savor it. I know many people put their valuables in their top bureau drawers (at least I've read that that is one of the first places robbers look). My valuables are those correspondence and cards, and I can hardly fit my undergarments in their rightful place! :)) It makes me so happy sometimes when I'm getting dressed when my eye catches an old note from my (now deceased) Grandma, and I read that she is looking forward to my upcoming visit to see her in Vermont. :))

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1381170425|3533665 said:
I don't know if this counts, but every time I get a meaningful letter or card from a friend or family member, I keep it and savor it. I know many people put their valuables in their top bureau drawers (at least I've read that that is one of the first places robbers look). My valuables are those correspondence and cards, and I can hardly fit my undergarments in their rightful place! :)) It makes me so happy sometimes when I'm getting dressed when my eye catches an old note from my (now deceased) Grandma, and I read that she is looking forward to my upcoming visit to see her in Vermont. :))

I know I've mentioned it here before, but I also keep written correspondence. I have every letter/card that my mother or father sent me from the time I left home. Many from other relatives, too. My husband and I keep all of our cards to each other, he even keeps any little note I've ever written him! For our first wedding anniversary, I gave him a leather bound journal in which we write to each other from time to time. When our child(ren) grow up they will have a nice keepsake of their mom and dad's writings to each other, although we don't write with that in mind. I think that "collecting" tangible accounts of relationships definitely counts!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1381013516|3532871 said:
AprilBaby|1381011531|3532863 said:

Thanx April baby.

Will do that!
Just checked it out. They only have one Rolex and sadly it isn't the one that I am looking for, so not sure on the pricing of it. There are some other stuff(clothes) that looks good, too. With clothes, though I rather buy at the store to try it on.

Thank for the recommendation. Will continually check back to see if they have the Rolex.

Hautelook.com had vintage rolex yesterday also. Make sure on both sites you go to accessories and click on rolex under watches. First time I only saw one rolex but you had to click continue to see more and I missed them.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1381171611|3533674 said:

I know I've mentioned it here before, but I also keep written correspondence. I have every letter/card that my mother or father sent me from the time I left home. Many from other relatives, too. My husband and I keep all of our cards to each other, he even keeps any little note I've ever written him! For our first wedding anniversary, I gave him a leather bound journal in which we write to each other from time to time. When our child(ren) grow up they will have a nice keepsake of their mom and dad's writings to each other, although we don't write with that in mind. I think that "collecting" tangible accounts of relationships definitely counts!

Wonderful idea! It's a shame you children and grandchildren will need a translator because they are not being taught how to write anymore :(

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1381172664|3533686 said:

Wonderful idea! It's a shame you children and grandchildren will need a translator because they are not being taught how to write anymore :(

I know! I plan on teaching them anyway. But I agree, it's a shame that future generations won't be able to read the correspondence of their ancestors easily. I hate to know that my children's children won't have a sense of "knowing" me through my writing. I better have printed copies made of everything! LOL

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1381172949|3533687 said:

I know! I plan on teaching them anyway. But I agree, it's a shame that future generations won't be able to read the correspondence of their ancestors easily. I hate to know that my children's children won't have a sense of "knowing" me through my writing. I better have printed copies made of everything! LOL

Wow, I guess I never thought about it. I love handwriting cards sometimes, and it certainly is special to get one, as opposed to an email. Weird to think that soon kids may not have penmanship at all. :(sad

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1381176261|3533726 said:
monarch64|1381172949|3533687 said:

Wow, I guess I never thought about it. I love handwriting cards sometimes, and it certainly is special to get one, as opposed to an email. Weird to think that soon kids may not have penmanship at all. :(sad

Even as an adult who grew up with penmanship (Palmerian cursive anyone?) the whole process is almost foreign to me now. I am taking hand-written notes in studying for the CPA exam and I don't think I've written this much in the past 10 years -- and I may never write this much again!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Books?
Found a hundred year old set of Mark Twain (1913 publish date) that is beautiful and only cost $25!
I love browsing half price books with a coupon and bringing home all sorts of different stuff. Lots of everyday paperbacks but also some amazing old histories.

Wine corks.
Not all wine corks -- just the corks from the bottles we have at home.

LetItShine

Shiny_Rock
Ornaments from every vacation. Must be locally made, painted, or hand-crafted. It's usually quite the search. I choose ornaments that mean something special to me and will help me remember the vacation. I love putting them on the tree every Christmas and remembering all the vacations. They are all packed away, but below are three that were purchased after Christmas.

1- Cherries...it was Cherry Festival when the kids and I went camping with friends
2- Church...son's graduating class trip. The boys in the class were playing Frisbee in the park across from this landmark church
3- Heron...my favorite jogging trail in this vacation destination often has herons in the park

_10677.jpg

ornament2.jpg

ornament3.jpg

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read that 3 of a item constitutes a collection. I have several small collections, perfume bottles, silk scarfs, and a larger collection of paintings, some good and some painted by me, so, so.

I recently found a silk scarf that I hemmed by myself. I couldn't believe how good it was. It's 50 yrs old at least and still in good condition.

Annette

gemdandy

Shiny_Rock
I love collecting lady head vases like this one - green_lady_head_vase.jpg

blingyjules

Rough_Rock
Beads. I used to make beaded jewellery which I dont really anymore but I still love the beads.

I seem to be getting a small little collection of Oroton handbags too these days. I'm hoping my mum will at some point decide to give me her vintage Oroton coin purses and clutches that she never uses anymore. :D

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
gemdandy|1381946357|3538893 said:
I love collecting lady head vases like this one - green_lady_head_vase.jpg

A completely random aside, but I only just read about these - the protagonist in Astor Place Vintage collects them too.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clutches, vintage fabrics, and coats. The coats are accidental. I'd love to have one nice one but my mother in law gives me all her old ones so I've accidentally stock piled them over the years.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Empty wine bottles...... :devil: :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1381412367|3535239 said:
I have read that 3 of a item constitutes a collection. I have several small collections, perfume bottles, silk scarfs, and a larger collection of paintings, some good and some painted by me, so, so.

I recently found a silk scarf that I hemmed by myself. I couldn't believe how good it was. It's 50 yrs old at least and still in good condition.

Annette

Oh wow, then my dh and I collect way too much. :o

azred

Rough_Rock
Pez dispensers. Since i was 12, and I'm now 34. My husband must REALLY love me, as he allows me to display some of them on a wall in our kitchen (I think we have hundreds at this point).

Why? For the same reason I love gemstones...they make me smile. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results