shape
carat
color
clarity

ordering checks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since for the first time in my life I actually have a checking account LOL
I think I''m the only almost 40 year old(yikes) who hasn''t had one! lol
I thought I would ask if people get them thru their bank or order online and get an idea on prices.
My bank wants $23 per 125 for duplicates and $23 per 150 for singles.
That is far more than walmart($7 per 175 duplicates) and other online places.
Also which do you prefer duplicates or singles?

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I got cheap checks, they''re just specialized pieces of paper so there''s really no sense in paying the bank''s mark-up. I only write about 15 checks/year (rent and the very few times I can''t use my credit or debit card) so I use singles. I also keep an excel spreadsheet of my checks/charges and match it up against my bank records online, so I never balance my account to a statement because I do that at least once or twice a week.

My parents, on the other hand, write checks a lot more often than I do (generation gap, I guess?) and I think they''d be lost without their duplicates. They also do traditional balancing to a statement once a month. So I think that which type of checks you''d be happiest with has a lot to do with how you plan to use the account.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have accounts at credit unions and get free checks, so I can''t really advise you other than to recommend the cheapest option! But absolutely get the duplicate checks. They are great because you don''t have to record the amount of the check in the register right that minute since you have a copy of the check. The other thing to do is to get it set up for your bills to be drafted automatically from your account, and then you rarely will have to write a check!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
36.gif

Date: 4/29/2008 6:02:34 PM
Author:strmrdr
Since for the first time in my life I actually have a checking account LOL
I think I'm the only almost 40 year old(yikes) who hasn't had one! lol
I thought I would ask if people get them thru their bank or order online and get an idea on prices.
My bank wants $23 per 125 for duplicates and $23 per 150 for singles.
That is far more than walmart($7 per 175 duplicates) and other online places.
Also which do you prefer duplicates or singles?
If you're a newbie at dealing with checks, get the duplicate type and buy them at the cheapest place you can. Here in Canada, we have NEBS where DH orders his checks for business: good price, fast service, accuracy (in no particular order).

For our personal checks, we both qualify for free checks and free statements/passbooks since we're both over 60.
9.gif

Congratulations on your first checking account!!! Use it wisely!
9.gif

PS: I hope this mean that your "identity theft horror" is behind you.
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2008 6:19:23 PM
Author: isaku5
36.gif

If you''re a newbie at dealing with checks, get the duplicate type and buy them at the cheapest place you can. Here in Canada, we have NEBS where DH orders his checks for business: good price, fast service, accuracy (in no particular order).

For our personal checks, we both qualify for free checks and free statements/passbooks since we''re both over 60.
9.gif

Congratulations on your first checking account!!! Use it wisely!
9.gif

PS: I hope this mean that your ''identity theft horror'' is behind you.
35.gif
thanks for the advice and well wishes!
Only one 2 things left on my credit report from that and I explained it too the bank.
I had a lawyer friend write a letter but it still wasnt removed so eventualy im going to have to hire a lawyer who works in that area too fix it.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
If you will be good about making the entries when you write the checks, you should be okay with singles. I would go with where you can get them the cheapest. One thing I always do is have the check numbers start at 1000 because some places are hesitant to take a check from a new account.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get the free checks the bank gives out. Singles. I am religious about keeping track in my bank ledger, so duplicates would just be wasted on me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get mine online and go for the singles as I am anal when it comes to keeping my accounts up to date to the very last cent.
12.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truth in posting time.
2.gif
Chronic procrastinator here. Not terribly organized or disciplined... and all but my most critical routines are subject to regular, catastrophic failure.
14.gif
Duplicate checks were a lifesaver for me -- although they pale in comparison to EFT, and having some disposable income.
22.gif

I get my checks from my credit union. They offer free checks but I usually indulge in some design that costs a bit more. What I really like is the safety of being able to pick the checks up at the bank, with absolutely no chance that the post office would screw up and leave them on my porch. So in a sense, I'm balancing the extra cost of getting the fancier checks from the bank (plain not being an option) against ordering from elsewhere, and renting a post office box.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I always order my checks from somewhere online. It''s definately less expensive. I also always get duplicate checks because I am notorious for not writing checks in the check register right away. And then I forget who they were to or the amount so...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get the checks out of the sunday paper fliers! They have good deals for first time customers and honestly, you will have more checks than you can ever use in your life with just one order.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
You can also find coupon codes on the internet!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone.
I think im going too go with walmart.
I dont plan on using very many checks as I have allready set my CC to withdraw monthly payments directly and am going with electronic bill pay for most bills.
Day too day stuff I still plan on using cash and not taking my checkbook with me because having cash in my pocket feels good its too wierd not having cash after using only cash for 38 years.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
also definitely going with duplicates.
Thanks!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Those are some cheap checks! I''ll have to consider them when I move!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
My bank scans my checks and I can see them online so I am fine with the singles now. I used to use the dupes but they aren''t necessary with the scanning.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I''ve always used duplicates...I don''t really maintain a ledger well, so the duplicates are a lifesaver. I''ve always ordered from online places (like checks unlimited), but all of them have an introductory price, and the second time you order, the price skyrockets. Since I''ve had checks since 8th grade, I''ve pretty much run out of places I can order from! Now I just get the freebie ones from the bank (which you can usually do if you do direct deposit and your employer is on their "preferred" list - ie, the major employers in town). If you have online banking, though, you''ll see a picture of your check when it''s turned in, so duplicates for me have become less and less necessary.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2008 10:47:29 PM
Author: neatfreak
I get the checks out of the sunday paper fliers! They have good deals for first time customers and honestly, you will have more checks than you can ever use in your life with just one order.
hehe, I did that about 8 years ago and still have boxes of them. Storm the Sunday paper w/the coupons is a good spot of this. hehe

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I looked around online for coupons and wallmart is still cheaper.

1/2 of the coupon sites tried too install spyware on my computer!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on the new account!
I get my checks from Checks in the Mail...they are inexpensive and they get to me pretty fast. My bank scans them online as well, so I do not have duplicates and they do not mail the checks back to me afterwards.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2008 2:38:49 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana
Congratulations on the new account!
I get my checks from Checks in the Mail...they are inexpensive and they get to me pretty fast. My bank scans them online as well, so I do not have duplicates and they do not mail the checks back to me afterwards.
thanks!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2008 1:14:22 AM
Author: strmrdr
I dont plan on using very many checks as I have allready set my CC to withdraw monthly payments directly and am going with electronic bill pay for most bills.
Day too day stuff I still plan on using cash and not taking my checkbook with me because having cash in my pocket feels good its too wierd not having cash after using only cash for 38 years.
Storm I have the same practice. Two other notes:

1) Since I procrastinate, and am not well organized, I just pay more for the bank refills. Not smart, but gets the job done.

2) For similar reasons, though duplicates may be cheaper...for many years now, I've used top stub. On the same page as where the check is, I right there write in what the payment is for, who it's going to, and how much. Forget about balancing...which I haven't done for years. But..if there's the very occasional problem, I have the top stub to look at.

The top stub format just makes it easy to document. With singles, you need to find the place in the register. With duplicates...maybe that's even better...you make a copy when you write a check? Does it bleed through? Maybe I should consider it...if you just write the check once, and automatically get documentation. Otherwise, I do like top stub.

(edited to add...)...I think maybe, too, I'm remembering that I earlier used duplicates...but there was bleed through, so I could not read the copies. I think the checkbook is not designed to have a plastic sheaf, or whatever would be needed to protect the bleed through. Otherwise...how is it supposed to work that you're writing a check on top of a bunch of other checks, and there wouldn't be bleed through. But, it's always possible there was a plastic sheaf, I didn't find it, or try to use it, etc. Maybe someone can advise?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Duplicates all the way!! I order from the companies that send their fliers out in the advertisement in our Sunday paper though. Last times I ordered it was about $7 for 150 or so.

I'm glad you found checks that work for you. Do they have a design on them? I love those ones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ira,
All the checkholders have plastic flaps. For those using the register, there''s a flap to keep you bookmarked to the latest entry. For those who use duplicates, there''s a plastic sheaf to prevent bleedthrough or rewriting over the carbon copy. Both of these appear to be standard on all checkholders so it doesn''t matter whether you get the single or duplicate version.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/29/2008 6:38:31 PM
Author: Chrono
I get mine online and go for the singles as I am anal when it comes to keeping my accounts up to date to the very last cent.
12.gif
Ditto. I have singles here in the UK for my account with stubs, and as I am also anal about keeping my accounts up to date, it works fine for me, and has done for years.

Splinter

Shiny_Rock
People still use cheques?
23.gif
What sort of quill do you use when you fill them in? Do you have to write exactly how many doubloons you''re paying? Does the feudal lord get a tithing?

3.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2008 9:14:07 AM
Author: Splinter
People still use cheques?
23.gif
What sort of quill do you use when you fill them in? Do you have to write exactly how many doubloons you're paying? Does the feudal lord get a tithing?

3.gif
lol
Well im up too 6 as they got my address wrong when they copied it from my drivers licence so I cant get online bill pay right away.

Walmart charges way too much for shipping so im back on the hunt.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
checks in the mail is worse than walmart and hides it until you input all your information.
I wanted the "never forget" checks and was willing too pay a little more but not that much.
$11.99 handling and $16 shipping no way!

Then today....
Went in today too make a withdraw, they don''t have withdraw slips have too write a check, im out of the temp checks, kachunch another fee $.50 for a check.
Everything involving checking accounts is turning into one big money pit.

Why do people put up with it?
sheesh
yea storm grumpy today! lol

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2008 6:51:09 PM
Author: strmrdr
checks in the mail is worse than walmart and hides it until you input all your information.
I wanted the ''never forget'' checks and was willing too pay a little more but not that much.
$11.99 handling and $16 shipping no way!

Then today....
Went in today too make a withdraw, they don''t have withdraw slips have too write a check, im out of the temp checks, kachunch another fee $.50 for a check.
Everything involving checking accounts is turning into one big money pit.

Why do people put up with it?
sheesh
yea storm grumpy today! lol
LOL! Poor Storm! It''s not easy being a grown-up, is it?!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2008 8:26:41 PM
Author: Lynn B

LOL! Poor Storm! It''s not easy being a grown-up, is it?!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
grown-up? is that some kinda fatal disease?
I dont wanna grow up cuz then I cant be a toys r us kid!

I just dont see the value in paying $70 for checks much less .50 for one.
besides today is a grumpy day.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results